2012 Nissan Leaf electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Nissan Leaf:

2012 Nissan Leaf Owner Comments

Nov 162011

My 2012 Nissan Leaf has a battery charge indicator on the dash that does not truly reflect how much actual driving range mileage is left. In fact, it is so faulty that it is referred to online as the gom or guess-O-meter. I believe this is a safety hazard as I have no accurate way of knowing if I will be left stranded in the middle of oncoming traffic on an expressway, a busy highway, a back road detour, or simply miles away from any charging station. The first time I realized how serious this problem was I had to call a tow truck to come and get me. I left my home with 39 miles of charge on the range indicator. It was a cool day so the climate control was off. I drove seven miles and my car ran out of charge leaving me alone and frightened in an unfamiliar area. I am a 70 year old widow. After receiving a tow home, I charged the car and then took it to the dealer for a battery test. The dealer told me that the battery was fine and that the problem must be my driving style. Since then, I have not taken the car more than a few miles from my home at a time. I have had the battery tested periodically and voiced my concern to Nissan but to no avail. I contend that if a gas driven auto had an inaccurate fuel indicator that caused vehicle operators to lose power without any warning then the ntsb would want to know about it. I believe that my Nissan has a comparable problem. I have owned this car for three years now and have less than 4,600 miles on the odometer. I am afraid to take it anywhere lest I have only one third of real drive time than is displayed on the battery drive range and charge indicator. My guess-O-meter is a real safety concern for me and I would appreciate your advice and input in this regard.

- Merritt Island, FL, USA

Jul 262014

Brake system failed and ignition started and thrusted car forward. It seemed like the brake got soft and then would not function. This incident caused the car to damage private property and caused major damage to front end of the vehicle.

- San Pablo, CA, USA

Aug 232013

When I drive the car into my driveway on a slight incline and I get out of the car while its in drive and the car is on, the car remains stable and does not move. The car is extremely quiet. If I plug the charger into the car, the car immediatelty drops out of drive and into neutral causing the car to roll backward.

- Kingston, MA, USA

Aug 212013

Drove car into driveway with slight incline, pressed button to engage car into park, got out of vehicle, plugged in car to charge it. Walked up 2 steps to house, car rolled back nearly striking 9 year old. Rushed to the car to try to stop it. Car stopped when rolled back across street and into neighbors yard / rock. Tore charging station off the exterior of the house. Caused breaker to trip and ruined the unit completely.

- Kingston, MA, USA

Mar 182013

Car does not drive the number of miles the electric charge states and dealership reports. The vehicle is dangerous cause to drive at posted speed limits of major highways the charge is used up very quickly like 3 times whatever speed you are driving if over 50 mph.

- Tomballl, TX, USA

Jan 132013

The contact owns a 2012 Nissan Leaf. The contact stated that while driving approximately 35 mph in eco- mode, she noticed the battery mileage count suddenly decreased from 77 miles to 55 miles after driving approximately a mile. The contact stated after charging the vehicle overnight, the battery did not completely charge. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The technician stated there was not a failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 70.

- Seattle, WA, USA