9.0

2004 Nissan Murano engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Nissan Murano:

2004 Nissan Murano Owner Comments

Aug 062011

Murano SL 3.5L V6

• CVT transmission

I bought my truck used with 120000 miles on it, the dealer had the oil changed when I picked it up. I was driving around in my murano that I paid in cash thinking I was finally in a good safe dependable car and thinking i was a third time back happy nissan owner until I took my highway exit... The truck had no sign of a knock no sign of any engine problem whatsoever, I was coming around my 35mph loop, yielded at the yield sign saw my gap when to get on the throttle to go and BOOM! The engine shuddered barely moved and blinded everyone behind me in a cloud of blue smoke! It happened to be my local nissan dealer was the first building off my exit so I pulled in there, checked the oil it was bone dry! I added 2 quarts of oil to bring it back on the stick and had the nissan dealer take it in first thing the next morning. They changed the oil again to be safe, put me on an oil consumption test and told me to ignore the blue smoke until we figure out if it fails or not, mind you the truck still purred without any knocks or pings or anything so off I went. Not a tank of gas later I was already down another 2 quarts! Needless to say it happily failed and embarrassed me throughout the whole test. They then proceeded to state the valve covers were clogged so oil wouldn't make it back down in the engine and enter the combustion chamber thus blue smoke? Well of course I just spent my life savings on the truck a week prior so I had no money to fix it PLAN B: They agreed that changing the oil every 500 to 1000 miles keeping it topped off would unclog it without the cost. Since I could afford at least that I went ahead and did such... IT GOT WORSE! Now my murano was a constant blue smoker and started doing a 3 ping noise around highway exits and tons of blue smoke, yet no check engine or oil light at all go figure. two more weeks go by and the nissan dealer after finally pulling the top half of the engine off, more money wooh, find that the top half of the engine was being starved of oil... Basically they state I need an engine due to severe oil consumption. My truck is sitting there now until someone pays for the engine, because I refuse to!

- , Cranston, RI, USA

Jun 162010

Murano SE V6

• CVT transmission

My car starting burning oil & I took this in the dealership months ago & the technician told me the car was fine. No car I've ever owned did I have to put a quart or two of oil in it about every 6 weeks. I have no oil leak because I check everywhere I'm parked. Took it in again yesterday which they now say I need valve covers because they are blocked. I'm not a mechanic so i do not know if this would even cause this to happen. The technician even stated that he's not sure if this is burning the oil or not but I had to pay a diagnosis fee of $99.99 plus tax for you to tell me you are not sure. This is ridiculous for Nissan not to be sure when it comes to customers money & time.

- , Milwaukee, WI, USA