2004 Nissan Murano miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Nissan Murano:

2004 Nissan Murano Owner Comments

Apr 012016

Door lock actuators

- Pembroke, NC, USA

May 012010

Murano

Driver side visor won't stay up. Problem started 6 years ago. Inherent problem design as replacing the visor will only solve the problem for a season and then it will happen again.

- Keller, TX, USA

May 132016

Murano

I have a 2004 Murano and the drivers side sun visor will not stay up. You will be driving down the road and it falls down in your face and blocks your vision. Just today I was driving 70 down a 6 line interstate and it fell down multiple times. Me being 5'8" when it falls it completely blocks my view and the car in front of me had slammed the brakes due to an object in the rd and I was nearly involved in a wreck due to this faulty sun visor. Something needs to be done to fix these before someone is killed due to it. And I know I am not the only one having this problem. Can someone advise what I can do?? Nissan please help before your faulty sun visor is the death of me.

- Alcolu, SC, USA

Feb 262015

Murano

Bought car from bill askew in February 2015 around tax time... went to gas station and car wouldn't crank. Call bill askew and notified them.. 5 min later the vehicle came on.. went to dealership and they replaced a battery... running good for a couple weeks. Check engine light came on and needed a electrical equipement... radio and cd wouldn't work. That was replaced also... in March got a oil change at the Nissan place.. I was told that I have a oil or gas leak.. notified bill askew... no reponse but everytime I take the truck to the dealership I got it from they turn off the check engine light and said it was nothig.. today September 5th 2015 the truck turned off while backing up, the truck stalled in the middle of the high way while my daughter was in the car with me.. cars blowing... 3 min later I turned it on and I call bill askew and notified them about the problem.. it was after hours and im currently waitning on a response.

- Greenville , NC, USA

Apr 012015

Murano

The sun visor doesn't stay up and falls down, blocking my vision (an obvious danger). This is apparently a very common problem with the 2004 Murano yet Nissan will not cover a fix.

- San Francisco, CA, USA

Jul 252015

Murano

I was driving my car on the highway for about 15 miles. Once I exited the highway and stopped my car did not want to accelerate. It stalled until I approached my destination. I tried putting transmission fluid in the vehicle as it read it was low which is odd because it hasn't been a month since I've gotten an oil change. So much difficulty getting up hills. Once I'm able to get going the car would accelerate, however once im at a stop it takes over 15 seconds to actually pick up speed. This has happened multiple times while driving which is extremely dangerous to myself and other drivers. This seems to be a known issue in older model Muranos that has yet to be recalled. I have no warranty left on the vehicle which means I am at a lost. I've only had this vehicle for 6 months and I've kept up on all oil changes and keep up with the vehicle. This faulty cvt nearly cost me and my children's life. They really should fix this issue as a part of a recall

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Jun 252015

Murano

The problem is with accelerate control for nothing I can speed up because the don't run..

- Gaithersburg, MD, USA

Jan 012014

Murano

After driving for about 20 minutes, my car won't react to my gas pedal. It hesitates, then lurches before finally catching up to speed. I've gone online and found that countless Murano owners have had the same front transfer case problems in their late model cars and that Nissan refuses to do a recall although Toyota has for similar issues. This is a defect which they apparently corrected in their newer models, but continues to be a serious safety issue for those of us who own 2004 models or older.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Jun 242014

Murano

The car does not accelerate from stop at times. Seems more often to happen when car is warm and has been in use for a min of 30 min. Sometimes the car does not move when accelerator is pushed 1/4 or 1/2 or even to the firewall. Sometime the car will move forward and give impression that it will respond to gas pedal input but then stall ( motor does not stop but forward motion does). The real problem is when crossing moving traffic with the traffic at 65 mph that I pull out and then stall. It's russian roulette. Nissan dealer says it could be X, Y or Z and I cannot start to change parts where Nissan cannot affirm will fix the problem. The car is in my opinion close to a "death trap" due to this stalling. I refuse to believe it's the transmission as sometime it works fine. Component of causation is unknown but with so many complaints it should be identified by now or will it take a death to get the wheels in motion.

- Great Bend, KS, USA

Dec 122014

Murano 6-cyl

Transfer case went out on the vehicle. Started having oil leaks and a knocking sound. Later vehicle will not pull, difficulty shifting. Towed car to the shop and was told transfer case is cracked and needs replaced for $3,800. Was also told an oil seal needed to be replaced also. Read a lot of customer complaints about similar problem. A lot pointing to a defective part that is supposed to be covered under recall.

- Hoover, AL, USA

Sep 122014

Murano 6-cyl

Traveling on the intrastate and the vehicle lost power, no acceleration to the vehicle. The engine revved but no response. In the meantime, I had to try to cross two lanes of traffic to get to the side of the road. Not a good thing to attempt in rush hour traffic near Chicago. I had it towed in, but unsure of the problem or the cost at this time.

- Laporte, IN, USA

May 262014

Murano 6-cyl

Different mechanics have looked at it and I have spent over a 1,000 just this month on trying to fix it but they say it is an engine problem that these car have. I see many complaints and nothing is done by Nissan. I believe just like everyone else with this problem should have Nissan take care of it. I am a mother of 3 and take very good care of my car so that is runs good. I almost had an accident of the freeway because of this problem at the speed of 65 mph. This has happen numerous times now and seems to be happening more often now. Today while trying to make a left turn and the car wouldn't move we almost got hit by a big rental truck, thank god the gentleman was able to make a quick stop and we didn't get hit. Please see what can be done. Nissan should be held accountable for something wrong with these cars that they already know is there manufactures fault. Are they going to wait till someone gets killed"?"

- Naples, FL, USA

Jun 062013

Murano 6-cyl

There was a structural failure of the anchor/bracket underneath the driver's seat. While I am driving, the seat rocks from side to side, and dips up and down. When I turn, the seat rocks a couple of inches down and then pops back as I come out of the turn. Also vehicle loses acceleration power when coming out of a complete stop.

- Humble, TX, USA

Murano

The car was driven on the high way at 50 mph, when it started to decelerate and would only go over a max speed of 30 mph. Even with acceleration, the car would not go over 30 mph. It was driven to the auto repair shop and they declared the transmission had failed and the engine was faulty as well. This car has given us so many problems. This is the third time it had stalled on the highway almost causing accidents and presenting a dangerous situation for my family! this problem needs to be corrected!!!!!!!!! something must be done!

- Floral Park, NY, USA

Murano

During stop and go traffic, I step on the gas pedal and the car does not move for a few seconds then suddenly the car jerks forward. This happend continiously over the past month. I would like this issue to be investigated and recalled, as this is a big safety concern.

- Yonkers, NY, USA

- Yonkers, NY, USA

Mar 122010

Murano

Engine goes to idle. Will not respond to accelerator imput until ignation is turned on and then back on. Seems to be a random event

- Washington, IN, USA

Jul 222007

Murano 6-cyl

I ran off the left side of a mountain road hitting a large tree with the driver's door, then continued down the hill another ~20 feet slamming into a boulder. When I hit the tree, the driver's door window broke as well as the driver's side rear door. The door was jammed shut. The Nissan was equipped with front side impact airbags and both front and rear head protection airbags. None were deployed. When I hit the boulder, the front passenger airbag deployed, but the driver's front airbag failed to deploy. The pre-tensioner on the driver's seatbelt did not latch resulting in me hitting my upper chest and lower jaw on the steering wheel since the airbag did not deploy. The fuel cut-off device also failed to activate and shut off the engine. After almost a minute, I turned off the engine with the key. I had been knocked unconscious for several seconds. The 2004 Nissan Murano sustained over $25,000 in damage which resulted in it being totaled by my insurance company. The airbag light would illuminate briefly when starting the car prior to the accident. So there was no indication of an airbag malfunction. There was substantial damage to the driver's side of the vehicle as well as the front and undercarriage. My injuries were limited to bruises to my chest and lower jaw. The accident also greatly aggravated a prior injury to my upper back. When I went to go remove my personal belongings from the vehicle, I found that the jack, mounted in the rear floor had come completely out.

- Spartanburg, SC, USA