2005 Nissan Murano engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Nissan Murano:

2005 Nissan Murano Owner Comments

Mar 312016

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Murano. While driving 20 mph, the vehicle felt sluggish as if it would stall. The check engine light illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 155,000.

- Smyrna, GA, USA

Jul 062015

This complaint relates to a closed recall for the 2005 Nissan Murano NHTSA campaign id number: 05V3190. Two months with the vehicle and I had transmission problems, where the vehicle lost power and drive-ability, bringing my passengers and myself to a harms way. I contracted aamco to replace the transmission, one month later, Nissan usa had to provide another transmission to replace the one changed one month before. Last Monday, July 06, 2015, while driving on the New Jersey garden state parkway, the vehicle presented serious trouble, when the emergency brake, AWD and ABS warning lights came on, as the vehicle lost speed, transmission disengaged, putting my wife, myself and other vehicles around us in serious risk of accident. I managed to pull the vehicle to the shoulder and later to a near by friend`S house in the galloway area. After contacting Nissan usa regarding the transmission, they told me to contact aamco, since they installed the new transmission. Aamco checked the vehicle and found out that, the problem was caused by the alternator that heated up, dropped voltage to 12V DC and caused the safe mode to engage, by making the vehicle unsafe on the middle of the highway. Nissan usa claims that this NHTSA campaign has been closed, when it is to my believe that, it should be re-opened and not only me, but also many other Nissan Murano owners, that still confront such factory defective issues to have this issue resolved. I was lucky to be able to act fast enough and bring my vehicle to safes way, would all others be so lucky?

- Absecon, NJ, USA

Jan 062015

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Murano. While driving at approximately 55 mph, the vehicle stalled and the check engine warning light illuminated. The vehicle restarted after several attempts. The failure recurred. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnostic testing. The mechanic stated that the left and right cam shaft position sensors and the engine crank shaft position sensor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact was made aware of NHTSA campaign number: 03V455000 (engine and engine cooling). The manufacturer was notified of the failures. The approximate failure mileage was 128,000.

- Shady Shores, TX, USA

Dec 152014

Murano 6-cyl

The engine struggles to start on a Nissan Murano 2005. The mechanic claims the crank engine sensor is at fault. The Nissan dealer said the part is made of plastic and known to wear out. Nissan has fixed the problem for newer cars by changing the material that is used. If Nissan is aware this problem exists, shouldn't this be a recall? the mechanic warned me the engine could fail while driving. Users on online forums have indicated having the car fail while driving whether it's at high speeds or on local roads.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Apr 252012

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Murano. The contact stated while driving at various speeds, the vehicle stalled after the check engine light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a independent mechanic where the technician diagnosed the intake air duct needed to be replaced. No repairs were made to the vehicle and the manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 65,000 and the current mileage 105,000.

- Sylvester, GA, USA

Aug 082013

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Murano. The contact stated that while driving 20 mph, the vehicle stalled as the brake light and the check engine warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection and they stated that they could not diagnose the cause of the failure. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 92,000.

- Randolph, NJ, USA

Apr 232012

Murano 6-cyl

I've been having problems with this car every month since I bought it in 2011 from arrow motors Inc, 2225 wakeling St phila pa 19137. The never disclose to me of the issues. If they ran a car fax I would have know. It wasn't until recently when I attempted to sell the car and was informed through car fax that it was in 5 accidents. If I had known this I would have never bought the car. This is completely unjust.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Jul 202013

Murano 6-cyl

My vehicle caught fire as I proceeded to pull away from a curbside parking space. I turned my wheel to the far left as I proceeded away from the curb and that is when I heard a pop sound, saw white smoke spewing from the front right side of the vehicle, then I saw the flames. Five days prior to the incident, I had front brake pads and resurfaced rotors placed on the vehicle. Within the past 30 days the only other maintenance performed on the vehicle was a standard oil change.

- Severn, MD, USA

Mar 202012

Murano 6-cyl

My Nissan Murano 2005 SUV has been stopping in motion while driving again, and this has happened more then 7 times in the past 2 months. But this time it happened on the 405 fwy with my children. The vehicle slowed down on the freeway and I had to find the right shoulder lane in call aaa. I checked the recalls on the internet for this car and there was recalls back in 2005 when I bought the vehicle and I didn't receive a notices in the mail. I've called the Nissan hotline with no replies and emailed the company too; I was emailed back that there was a recall on the second row seat belts. This car is totally unsafe; plus vehicle has five recalls such as gas tank, set belt, engine and engine cooling, transmission, and alternator. I looked at the forum for the Nissan Murano in it seems like the same problem with the 2003-2005 models.

- Long Beach, CA, USA

Jan 012013

Murano 6-cyl

I started hearing a rattle when under acceleration and could never find the culprit. It started jingling like change in someone pocket so I looked again and notice a piece of the idler pulley bracket going in circles around the adjustment screw. I looked up online only to yet another under designed part by Nissan. This part failing can cause serious damage and even wrecks if not fixed immediately.

- Irmo, SC, USA

Jun 072012

Murano 6-cyl

My car just stopped working in the middle of the traffic and would not go forward or backward. I got it towed to good year - my car had catastrophic transmission failure. Was diagnosed at Goodyear and they called Nissan to see about the parts and found out that it was covered by manufacture warranty - so I had it towed on a flat bed truck to Nissan in denver. Goodyear had drained the fluids to take it apart during diagnosis and sent the parts and the car on the tow truck to the go Nissan shop. They found a number of other problems with the car at the Nissan shop which they said were not covered - such as- cam shaft sensors, drive belts, head gasket. I agreed to pay for those items and to get my transmission replaced for free under the warranty. They said it would take three to five days to get the transmission from the factory. I get a call today from go Nissan on June 19th about a week after they agreed to fix it and they now say that there seems to have been some purple fluid in the transmission and now they wont replace it or cover it in any way. That makes no sense to me because it was delivered there with no fluid in the transmission at all. They said, ya, well.. we saw some purple substance in the cup with the parts that were delivered and we will not cover it because of that contamination... im at my witts end here, they want $4000 for the transmission and another $2,500 for the rest of the work. I don't know what to do. I feel like they took advantage of me and are now trying to get out of the warranty. Thanks for your help.

- Lafayette, CO, USA