2.7

2009 Nissan Murano steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Nissan Murano:

2009 Nissan Murano Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Aug 162011

Murano 6-cyl

For the month of August 2011, my 2009 Nissan Murano has experienced four (4) steering wheel failures that could've resulted in serious bodily injury or death. Hawkinson Nissan replaced the serpentine belt at least twice in less than a two-week period in August of this year because it was shredded. Although the dealership had done multiple multi-point inspections this month, they reported that there was no evidence of any pending failure of the serpentine belt when they did the inspections. In addition, on August 8, 2011, the technician found a "pass side rack and pinion boot filling up with fluid from bad seal in power steering rack, " according to the invoice. Nissan found a leak in the power steering high pressure line. Nissan repaired the problem by replacing the high pressure power line and power steering rack. They also bled the power steering fluid system and performed a front end alignment, according to the invoice. I do not think the 2009 Nissan Murano is safe to drive because I was nearly killed or badly injured multiple times. They need to recall the vehicle since they've attempted to correct issues with the steering wheel on multiple times with no avail. I'm afraid of them returning the vehicle to me since the mechanics obviously cannot fix the problem since it's most likely a defect that's causing the serpentine belt to constantly shred with no prior evidence of pending failure or wear and tear.

- Richton Park, IL, USA

Aug 022011

Murano 6-cyl

On Tuesday, August 2, 2011, I was driving on a major expressway. While trying to exit from the expressway, the steering wheel on my 2009 Nissan Murano locked, making it impossible for me to turn it. I was almost hit by an 18-wheel semi-trailer truck. The incident resulted in black skid/tire marks on the side of the road by my car and the truck that was trying to avoid from hitting me. Nissan's contracted towing service had to tow my vehicle into Nissan's shop since the vehicle could not be driven safely after the incident. On August 3, the service advisor called to say that the problem with the steering wheel had been fixed. He indicated that the steering wheel would not turn because of a faulty serpentine belt. He said the serpentine belt was replaced, that they had test drove the vehicle before its release to me, and that the vehicle was now safe to drive. It should be noted that my Nissan had previously been in Nissan's shop barely a week before the August 2nd incident, on July 21st, for other defect issues which were covered by warranty. When the car was in the shop for the July repairs, the service representatives had indicated that they had done a full inspection of the vehicle. What is interesting to me is that during the full inspection, Nissan did not discover anything wrong with the serpentine belt then. If the belt were wearing away, Nissan should have been able to discover and disclose the wear and tear during the full inspection in late July. Even after the serpentine belt was replaced on August 3, 2011, the steering wheel is still difficult to steer. I'm not sure whether this is a manufacturing/design defect, but I think this should be looked into carefully since this is obviously a serious safety issue. If a driver is slowing down to get ready to turn but suddenly cannot turn because of a problem with the steering wheel, another vehicle traveling behind could easily hit the driver in front. This could result in a tragic accident.

- Richton Park, IL, USA

Aug 292010

Murano

Column 2009 Nissan Murano: The steering column power adjustment (tilt or telescope) does not work or makes abnormal noise when operating the switch.

- King George, VA, USA

Jan 312010

Murano

The rack and pinion and rear differential of my 2009 Murano le is defective. The rack and pinion has stopped working twice and needs to be replaced for the third time. The rear differential on the car has also failed and needed to be replaced. The steering pump has also stopped working and needs to be replaced. The car was purchased in April 2008 and has had documented steering problems since. The dealership (koppel Nissan) has given me a hard time and Nissan has not addressed the issue. This steering problem causes the steering wheel to stop working and I have had several incidents were my children and I have been almost hit. This is a huge safety issue and the fact that the rack and pinion are on back order may indicate this is a wide spread problem. I have been told by mechanics to submit a lemon claim to the state of NY. I have inquired with both the dealership and manufacture with no success. I approaching the statute of limitation under the NY lemon law and fear that repairing the rack and pinion and steering pump will not resolve the problem and I will not be able to file a claim. With everything that is going on with Toyota I feel it is important to reach out to you so that you can alert others who may be having the same problem.

- New York, NY, USA

Jan 302008

Murano 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Nissan Murano. Immediately after purchasing the vehicle, the contact noticed that it vibrated while driving 40-50 mph. The dealer changed the tires three times, but the failure continues. The failure mileage was 30 and current mileage was 250. Updated 03/18/08. The consumer stated all 4 tires had the tire pressure of 41psi in each of tires and were reduced to 36psi and no longer vibrates. Updated 03/18/08

- Dewitt, NY, USA