2009 Nissan Quest steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Nissan Quest:

2009 Nissan Quest Owner Comments

Jul 182011

Quest 6-cyl

Within 6 months of purchase of this vehicle I have been having severe safety issues on this vehicle. It initially started out as an intermittent problem which took quite some time to replicate since a specific chain of events had to be followed. But since then, the problem can be replicated at will but again its based on a sequence of events and road conditions. The steering wheel vibrates horribly and there is a loud rumbling noise. The car is difficult to handle once this vibration starts. It feels as if the car has a flat tire or the axle has been severely damaged thus impairing steering control. May 20th 2010 was the first time I had the issue with the Quest while I was on il interstate 57. Sept, 11 2010 is when this happened again while I was headed to Florida. Oct. 4th, 2010 it happened again on Florida interstate 275. It continued to occur repeatedly. I reported this problem to Nissan on July,18th, 2011 with 31,573 miles on the van. The Nissan folks drove 189 miles but could not duplicate issue. On Jan. 2, they tried but could not duplicate issue Feb. 1st, 2012 the service manager and I drove 200 miles in order to replicate it. We noticed that the vdc light came on. The guessing game on the Nissan side continued. They replaced the ABS system stop lamp switch, and other ABS related items. Once they handed us the vehicle stating that the issue was fixed, we took it on a test drive and were able to recreate the problem. May 29, 2012 I took Quest back in but could not duplicate issue while the Nissan folks took it out on a test drive. On June 18, the service manager and I went on another 200 miles road trip and I was able to duplicate the problem. This time they blamed the wheel bearings to be the cause so they replaced that but again that was not the culprit as I was able to replicate the problem when I took it on a test drive once Nissan handed me the vehicle.

- Greenwood, IN, USA

Feb 192010

Went on a road trip. Our new Nissan Quest 2009 was fine until after 4 hours of driving and then suddenly the steering wheel started to shake. It shook so badly that we thought we had a flat tire. It continued to shake until we pulled over to the shoulder and come to a complete stop. We went back on the highway and it was fine for a couple of hours and then acted up again. The same thing happened. It won't let us accelerate and no matter how slow we go it was still shaking. We had an infant in the van and our other son was 5 yrs. Very dangerous to be on the road in the middle of the night and having to pull over every couple of hours when it started acting up. Imagine when there are no shoulders to pull over and the van was shaking so bad that you can't control it. Please recall this item. Something is wrong with the brake system/rotors etc.

- Plano, TX, USA