2013 Nissan Rogue engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Nissan Rogue:

2013 Nissan Rogue Owner Comments

Jul 292016

I own a 2013 Nissan Rogue.that I have kept up the servis on at the dealership for everything, but while driving at various speeds, the vehicle suddenly failed to accelerate properly. The failure was intermittent.the mileage was between 80, 85,000. At that point the Rogue becomes unresponsive and can't accelerate past 40 mph. This is incredibly dangerous and it has left my family and I stranded on the interstate 3 times, now I can't trust this vehicle at all and fear for the safety of my family. And Nissan for some reason can't find anything wrong when they hook it up to the computer because there is no code error. (but thet do have the balls to tell me I need to buy a new transmition for a caust of over $5000 before taxes)this Rogue is only 3 years old, this all has been very frighteningto me and my family, as I am on the freeway every day and someone could very easily crash into me when the transmission fails or even when I am trying to pull out into traffic from an on ramp or out of a parking spot in the city or a tool booth and there is zero power, I can't express how dangerous this is. Nissan please do something about this, we are hard working people and none of us will ever consider another Nissan if this can't be fixed. Patrick brady from hayward ca,

- Hayward, CA, USA

Jul 202016

I recently bought my Rogue at the auto nation Nissan dealership in marietta. I began my first long distance trip back home on the hwy and the car began to lose speed. I had to stop on the side of the interstate to properly assess the situation. Figured it could have been just a fluke, began to get back on the road and with my foot all the way down on the floor, the car would barely run. Called Nissan dealership and the service manager suggests that I turn my car off and let it sit because it's overheating due to ga weather. Now, it is hot, but there are millions of cars in ga that don't have to sit every hour you're on the road. He said after then, to just drive on the hwy at about 60mph. Sir this is the interstate. Not possible. People will run over you. Took it right back to Nissan and a few days later, they stated to me that there was nothing they could do. They did not properly assess the situation as the service manager told me that he drove it on the city streets. I get online and research only to find that others are having the same issues. I don't want anyone to have to go through this, Nissan needs to recall this vehicle. It is terrible. Essentially, you're paying for a glorified scooter! I need this problem taken care of immediately!

- Marietta, GA, USA

Jun 182016

We drove an hour on the highway and suddenly the rpms went over 4000, and the car started decelerating, we were unable to get or keep highway speed, even with pedal all the way to the floor. Luckily we were able to pull to side of highway. After 15 minutes it seemed to function, but a mile later it did the same thing. Even worse on any sort of incline, even slight. For fear of our safety, we had to have vehicle towed 55 miles back home. I looked it up and am wondering why there is no recall?? our safety as well as others also on the road is at risk!

- Del City, OK, USA

Jun 092016

Lost the ability to speed up after traveling above 70 for an hour and a half. Car began slowing down and I had to pull off on the side of the road, turned the car off and waited about 10-15 minutes before I could accelerate again.

- Austin, TX, USA

May 212016

While driving on the interstate in a mountainous area, out of nowhere my car would no longer accelerate. I had to pull off of the road and restart the car to resolve the issue. Now this is happening on a regular basis if I drive my car for longer than an hour at 60+ mph, it will suddenly stop accelerating. In addition, in the last few days, after coming to a complete stop on the interstate off ramp, I tried to accelerate from a complete stop and the car just barely moved, enough for me to have pulled into oncoming traffic, but not enough to keep going to get myself out of the way. I had to quickly reverse to move my car from the middle of the road. If there had been a car behind me and I was unable to reverse I would have been hit. This problem has been reported over and over again as an issue with the cvt. My car is only a 2013 and just barely over the (crappy) powertrain warranty that Nissan offers on this car.

- Fairfax, VT, USA

May 192016

After driving for long periods of time, the car will suddently and continually fail to accelerate over a certain speed even with the fuel pedal pressed to the floor. I believe the car goes into a fail safe mode due to an issue with the transmission. This happened on the interstate and I could not longer even get up to the speed limit

- Santa Maria, CA, USA

Aug 052015

The transmission consistently overheats (service dept told me this is what the issue is) and caused the car to go into "fail safe" mode which means you have no power. I was travelling in an 75 mph zone and the fastest I could get to was 60. Tractor trailers were having to slam on their breaks. I put my flashers on to make it safer. This has happened on 6 different trips. Per the svc dept this is a known issue with the Nissan Rogue and the fluid gets too hot. This is a very dangerous issue because you do not know it is in fail safe until you attempt to give the car more power like to pass or something. Very very dangerous. I have video of the incedent if needed.

- Abilene, TX, USA

Jul 032015

This 2013 Nissan Rogue lost acceleration completely when on a slight hill/incline. Speed went from 60mph to 30mph in seconds, nearly causing a collision with a big rig truck on my side and a large vehicle coming up behind. The gas pedal was completely to the floor with no result in acceleration. When able to come to a complete stop, I had to power down vehicle completely. I opened the hood (hoping to cool the potentially hot engine to resolve) and restart. I had to restart a couple times to get the car to recognize being in "gear." There was no warning, no service engine light, nothing. The vehicle is current on oil changes, etc. This issue could have caused bodily harm or injury had I not been able to safely get to the side of the road, especially since we were on a hill and everyone is trying to maintain momentum behind me on a two lane road. This is clearly a safety concern. Since that issue, the vehicle has now done it approximately 6 more times.

- Yucaipa, CA, USA

Jun 252014

First incident:while traveling on the freeway at 70mph(no use of cruise control) going up a steep hill the car suddenly lost power even with the gas pedal to the floor.fortunately we were able to pull over to the shouder and stop the car, after 15 minutes the car started and we drove home without any problem. Second incident:driving from ca to AZ for family wedding on 04/28/2015 after driving for approx. 3 hours using periodic cruise control (cruise control not on during incident) and again driving on freeway at 75mph on level ground engine lost power and began decelerating quickly, not responding to gas pedal( which was floored) engine not reeving at all. Lucky again turned on hazard lights avoided near collison pulled over on shoulder, turned the car off and waited.twenty minutes later turned car on and continued traveling. Third incident: Exactly the same as second incident only happened on the way home on May 4th 2015. Fourth incident: June 12 2015 while traveling on highway in a mountainous region driving at 50mph car again lost all enign power(see above incidents)with same results.during all incidents the weather was hot temperature was at least 90 degrees. This is the same exact problem that was admitted by Nissan for previous years ; hot weather, hills etc causing car to go to "fail safe mode" and it is being reported by Nissan car owners past the recall dates of 2010. Please do something before someone is killed.

- Crestline, CA, USA

Jun 202015

While driving uphill, the cruise control dropped out while going 70mph and left me with no control of the gas pedal. It dropped about 20-25mph very quickly and I was nearly run over from behind, which left me quite shaken. I had no control of the gas pedal till hill was crested. This was and is a very dangerous condition that has left me wondering if I can ever trust the cruise control on my vehicle again. This defect has got to be fixed quickly before someone gets hurt. Dealer says they are aware of this happening before but are getting no help from Nissan.

- Gilbert, AZ, USA

Jun 042014

Rogue 4-cyl

I bought my car new in may,2013 and after a while I noticed that it was making a weird noise when going at high speed. I told the dealership about it at every service, and they said it was nothing, or they could not duplicate it. In Feb 2015 I took it again and asked them to address it seriously, they claimed they can't duplicate it but that the transmission fluid was over full and they fixed that. They also said there were some tubes cracked and they replaced them... now my car makes the noise a lot more, it is not all the time but when it does it is loud and scary. I contacted Nissan usa and it has been hard communicating with them and I think my car is unsafe and might be a lemon.

- Moreno Valley, CA, USA

Aug 282014

Rogue 4-cyl

I pulled out onto route 125 in plaistow, nh at a set of traffic lights and there were cars coming up quick behind me when all of a sudden I went over the drainage in the road I lost all power and started slowing down I had no control of my gas pedal, my car wouldn't go it was just slowing down fast. It was scary I almost got rear ended. When this happened I noticed my traction control light lit up blinking. I have read many horror stories about similar situations and notified the dealership and they cant replicate it so wont do anything about it. I could have been hit hard bc I was just going along when all of a sudden my car pretty much almost stopped in the middle of the road, no brakes, nothing. The dealer has offered to take my car for a period of time to drive and give me one in the meantime to try and see if they can make it happen again. This is something that is serious, especially when in fast moving traffic and this was to happen to me or anyone with this car again.

- Newton, NH, USA

Jul 072014

This has happened a few times. Feels like and seems as if my car goes into cruise control by itself. I lose rpms and cannot accelerate until I slightly brake then go and accelerate. No lights are coming on, and I have taken my car to the dealer with no result. They tried testing it and recreating, but no outcome.

- Santee, CA, USA