2002 Nissan Sentra seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Nissan Sentra:

2002 Nissan Sentra Owner Comments

Oct 012016

Sentra 4-cyl

Takata recall; after purchasing vehicle and driving for about 10 minutes; check engine light suddenly comes on prior to picking up speed to enter highway; vehicle abruptly loses power at a speed of 65 miles per hour and stalls in traffic causing a near fatal traffic accident; after running the VIN number in NHTSA database vehicle was never recalled for grossly negligent issue with crankshaft and camshaft position sensors. This leads me to the fact that vehicle manufacturer never contacted original owner concerning this terrible safety issue. After finding out about two outstanding recalls that were never addressed in which the vehicle has exhibited potential catastrophic consequences based upon the manufacturers product defect it was uncovered that the vehicle has a potential fatal issue with the passenger side airbag. I am extremely terrified to operate this vehicle and my experience on October 1, 2016 of operating this vehicle and it losing power abruptly risking my life and limb has caused me extreme depression, stress, and mental anguish. If these issues are not corrected immediately as a remedy at law with the nearest Nissan dealer including towing at manufacturer's expense, I and the Texas office of the attorney general will pursue a gross product liability negligence legal action against Nissan based upon my legal advice and Texas law; which clearly states that in a product liability dispute the statute of limitations is 15 years from sale unless manufacturer says useful life is longer. Texas civil practice & remedies code ann. 16.012. Thank you for your time and attention to this serious safety matter.

- Houston, TX, USA

Aug 182016

Sentra

Takata recall. The contact owns a 2002 Nissan Sentra. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V287000 (air bags). The manufacturer was unable to provide a reasonable time frame to supply the part to the dealer. The contact had not experienced a failure. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Augusta, GA, USA

Apr 042016

Sentra

Takata recall. The contact owns a 2002 Nissan Sentra. The contact stated that the air bag warning light remained illuminated. The vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign number: 15V287000 (air bags), but the contact did not receive a recall notification. The failure mileage was not available. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Nashville, TN, USA

Oct 312015

Sentra

The contact owns a 2002 Nissan Sentra. The contact stated that the passenger frontal air bag deployed, while the driver was at a complete stop. The contact also stated that NHTSA campaign number: 15V287000 (air bags) was performed in July 28, 2014 however, the repair did not correct the failure. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 79,000.

- Brownsville, TX, USA

Jul 312015

Sentra

The contact owns a 2002 Nissan Sentra. The contact stated that the air bag warning light illuminated. The vehicle was serviced under NHTSA campaign number: 13V136000 (air bags) but the remedy failed to repair the vehicle. The contact mentioned that the air bag warning light remained illuminated after the recall repair. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 186,000.

- Kissimmee, FL, USA

Jun 012015

Sentra 4-cyl

2002 Nissan Sentra. Consumer writes in regards to vehicle airbag recall issues. The dealer informed the consumer, they could not perform the recall, because the air bags were not original. The consumer stated the vehicle was purchased new and she was never involved in an accident.

- Springfield, NJ, USA

Feb 192014

Sentra 4-cyl

I took my car in for NHTSA recall 13V-136 to premier Nissan of san jose, and the dealership service rep told me they inspected but did not replace the air bag. They claimed that they could tell whether or not the airbag needed replacement by inspection and that mine didn't need replacement. I am writing to see if it is appropriate that they did not replace my air bag, since the recall notice says "dealer will replace the affected front passenger air bag inflator with a new one." My air bag light is on, and their diagnostic test indicated a fault with the passenger air bag. They were going to charge me around $800 to change the air bag, and I refused as I don't think I should pay for a defect that is due to the manufacturer.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Aug 302013

Sentra

I received a notice of a recall for the driver's side airbag of my 2002 Nissan Sentra in the mail, which instructed me to make an appointment with my local Nissan dealership to have the necessary repairs made free of charge. I made an appointment and appeared at the dealership, and the dealer is telling me that they cannot complete the repairs because the recall is not yet archived in their system, and that the system will take one business day to become available. This difficulty contradicts the very nature of a recall: To ensure the safety of the driver as soon as possible. Because of an inadequacy of their "system"--they are fully equipped mechanically to do the repair--I'm expected to drive home and return a different day with an unsafe driver's side airbag.

- St. Louis, MO, USA

Jun 112012

Sentra

I was traveling to my new home when I realized the car in front of me was completely stopped to make a left hand turn. I slammed on my brakes, but hit the car in front of me. My air bags did not deploy. I am concerned because the crash caused 4 fractures in my right ankle and foot.had the airbags deployed, would they have held me back in my seat and lessoned the crash impact on my foot/ankle?

- Palm Coast, FL, USA

Aug 142007

Sentra 4-cyl

On August 14, 2007 at 5:35 pm I was driving North on sparta avenue in a 2002 Nissan Sentra. I was traveling at an estimated 35 miles per hour. A Jeep Cherokee on pine terrace failed to yield to at a stop sign and pulled out in front of my car while attempting to turn left onto sparta avenue causing a collision. The collision resulted in extensive damage to the front end of my car that was irreparable; however, my airbag did not deploy.

- Sparta, NJ, USA

Sep 302004

Sentra

While driving 40 mph vehicle was involved in a head on collision. Upon impact, dual air bags did not deploy. Driver sustained lower back injuries.

- Tallahassee, FL, USA

Aug 052003

Sentra

While driving 50 mph the driver swerved into another lane to avoid a table top which was dropped by an unknown vehicle. As a result the vehicle hit another vehicle. The impact caused the vehicle to spin around and become wedged between the vehicle and a guardrail. Neither of the air bags deployed. Dealer notified.

- Weymouth, MA, USA

Mar 292003

Sentra

The vehicle was involved in a collision, and none of the air bags deployed.

- Clifton, NJ, USA

Mar 222003

Sentra

While driving, vehicle was in a frontal collision. None of the air bags deployed upon impact.

- Roselle Park, NJ, USA

Sep 102002

Sentra

Consumer states while driving 50mph had a collision accident air bags did noy deploy. Nlm

- San Diego, CA, USA