Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2005 Sentra earned its clunker status after numerous reports of blown head gaskets.

1. replace head gasket (75 reports)
  3. resurface head at machine shop (1 reports)
2005 Nissan Sentra engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Nissan Sentra:

2005 Nissan Sentra Owner Comments (Page 1 of 5)

Jul 192016

Sentra 1.8L

This is not the first time that the head gasket blew on this vehicle. It happened about a year after I had purchased it and had to do a full replacement. Luckily that was covered under the extended warranty that I had at the time and the work was done at the Nissan dealership. So that was at around 72000 miles. Now the vehicle at 145000 miles, blew ANOTHER GASKET! I have maintained the recommended maintenance and I have the service records to prove it, This is ridiculous and seems like a major design flaw.

- , Puyallup, WA, USA

May 132016

Sentra 1.8L

Bought the car with approx 70K miles on it for college aged son to commute back and forth daily (approx 60 miles/day). Check engine light came on; thermostat blew out; replaced thermostat. Two days later engine seized up; mechanic says blown head gasket. But check engine light did not come back on after thermostat replaced. Can't decide if better to replace engine or car??

- , Twin Lakes, WI, USA

Apr 082016

Sentra S 1.8L

Again blown head gasket on a 2005 1.8 nissan sentra and everyone already know Nissan is not going to recall it

- , Charleroi, PA, USA

Mar 092015

Sentra 1.8s

Another typical story ... 3/15, engine light on ... diagnosed head gasket failure ... cylinder frozen or something ... mechanic bandaged it ... fast forward, 1/16 ... engine light on again ... don't want to and can't afford a car payment ... car has had no issues other that the crappy heater sometimes ... really upsetting ... torn between replacing engine or buying another car .... reading all the complaints regarding the repair of engine ... trouble happening all over again ... think it's best if I run from Nissan ... so sad, I bought a 1998 Altima and it's still on the road ... been through 3 kids driving it ... youngest has it now ... still running strong ... so upsetting ... Nissan's were always my first choice ...

- , Phoenix, AZ, USA

Oct 202015

Sentra SE 1.8L

So purchased this vehicle at under 80,000 miles. 2 days later started having problems starting it. After lots of lost time and $300 later for diagnostics confirmed blown gasketšŸ˜±Haven't owned a vehicle for 2 weeks...

- , Williamsburg, VA, USA

Oct 142015

This is the second time the head gasket went out. The first time was 5 years ago. This time the cylinder was sent to be machined. I took the car home, 2 days later, smoke was coming from under the hood. I pulled into the Nissan place, and they said they had failed to tighten down a bolt and cleaned off the manifold. Off I went, 1 day after that, the car started making a horrible, horrible noise and the oil light came on. Nissan sent a tow truck for the car and told me the oil pump had blown and caused a problem with the timing cover. They fixed it. I picked up the car, got down the street about 3 blocks, the car made a horrible noise, oil light came on and car stopped in the middle of rush hour traffic.

Nissan sent a technician to pick me up and drive the car back to the dealership. They replaced the oil pump with a "brand new oil pump fresh off the line". When I went to pick up the car, they had pulled it under the carport at the dealership and turned it off. I got in and started it up, the engine made a horrible loud noise, and the oil light is back on. No oil getting to the engine. wow.....really!!! 2 new oil pumps later (1 fresh off the Nissan manufacturer line, not sure where the other new one came from) and a head gasket and milling, no Nissan for me. I have no words to tell you how I feel.

One of the Nissan service guys indicated to me that people often blame them for problems after they've worked on a car and that stuff just happens and its not their fault. He said they weren't in that area, even though they took the engine apart. Really! Well, I likened that statement to putting my hand down in a mans pants and squeezing the bloody hell out of his balls, but I did NOT touch the penis. so therefore, I'm not responsible for the excruciating pain in his now useless penis and his other extremities that cause him to faint and thus strike his head on the table as he falls causing a brain injury. Not my fault, man. I wasn't in that area. Sorry for being dramatic, but I feel dramatic and traumatized and pissed off about my "Nissa". OMG! I'm just saying!

- , Denver, CO, USA

Jun 152010

My car started over heating and found out the head gasket was cracked. No machine milling was done at that time. Unfortunately, the car had the head gasket go out again in Oct 2015. Cost me plenty to fix it. And right after that was fixed, 2 days later, my oil light on, loud screeching noises and the broke down. Nissan has tried to repair the car 3 times with no success. Today, my Nissan is at the dealer waiting its fate.

- , Denver, CO, USA

Jun 302014

Sentra SE 1.8L L4

It is fixed now. It is my 3rd Sentra and I never had head gasket issue before. Very disappointed. Only upside, the head didn't warp, neither the engine block needed any corrections.

- , Boisbriand, QC, Canada

Aug 212015

Sentra ES 1.5L

My car has had ALL services performed by MOSSY NISSAN, San Diego since purchase. The head gasket was replaced at 92,000 and it's now at 120,000 - less than 30K and it is gone @$!!! Complete and utter bullsht - and NISSAN needs to be responsible. Dealer only covers 12K and said have a great day.

Gave the 1-800-CALL NISSAN if they care - well then I ask you all to call NISSAN and complain. This is completely unacceptable with being one of the most expensive fixes. Just replaced my thermostat $800 two days later, the engine light comes on and 'oops your head gasket is kaput!!! Gee thanks - but you replaced it and I HAVE TO PAY FOR IT!!!!

- , San Diego, CA, USA

Jul 202015

Sentra LX 3.2L

The 2005 Nissan Sentra has been the worst car I ever owned. The head gasket crack 3 times. I replaced the engine twice with 2005 engines and they all cracked. When I called the dealer, he referred me to the Nissan corp. which said it wasn't under warranty and refused to do anything. Why is there not a recall on these cars. The dealer gave me the same line of bull. How many 2005 Nissan Sentras have had the same problem. This car was a lemon and should have been recalled. Three motors and three cracked head gaskets. Come on! There must be a lawyer out there who would like to take this case.

- , El Paso, TX, USA

Jul 272015

Sentra 1.8L

Pathetic that manufacture does not solve problem!hope they loose customers because there product is so bad. They lost me now that this happened. I've maintained this vehicle under severe maintenance .

- , Albuquerque, NM, USA

Jan 052015

- , Niceville, FL, USA

Jun 102010

Sentra SE

Nissan knew that this was a problem but never tried to fix it. We had no choice but to have it replaced. The car is great and we've never had any other problem with it. 2015 and still running strong. (knock on wood).

- , Cincinnati, OH, USA

Apr 112013

Sentra Special Edition 1.8L

Misfire #3 cylinder, blown head like everybody else. No more Nissans for me. 67000 mi

- , Hendersonville, NC, USA

Oct 152014

Sentra 1.8L

At 75k miles had a blown head gasket, took it to the dealer and they recommended I replaced the engine of course. 3 days later same issue, all work was done at a Nissan dealer by the way. 4 days later I get a new head installed, no problems now. 1 yr later 65k miles, stuck out in the boonies with the same issue, blown head gasket again. Another wonderful bill. As of today at 200k, cylinder number 4 misfire. WTH is going on with this Sentra crap...Disappointing

- , Corona, CA, USA

Dec 012014

Sentra SE 1.8L

I've read the other complaints and that is exactly the problem for my 2005 Nissan Sentra SE with 1.8 L engine...a blown head gasket. This problem first appeared about 3 years ago. Cost of repair was $1,900 CDN. I now have the Service Engine light appearing again and the problem was P0128, so it looks like the problem may be re-occurring. HELP!!

- , Winnipeg, Manitoba, canada

Sep 142014

Sentra SE 1.8L

Great car until this issue; fairly disappointed to see this such a prevalent issue not taken car of by the manufacture.

- , Cincinnati, OH, USA

Aug 042014

Sentra S 1.8L

I have been told that the Head Gasket needs to be replaced and I am not sure why Nissan doesn't cover this cost since it is from a faulty head gasket. Seems that a whole lot of people are having the same issue with the 1.8 motor and several others.

- , Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Feb 012014

Sentra S 1.8L

I will never buy a Nissan again. I've never seen a car blow head gasket after just over 100,000Km or 64,000 Km. This is a 2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8 and it's well maintained, with everything done on schedule. Visually, it looks good but what a piece of garbage the engine is. The Nissan Corporation should be ashamed, even when compared to some domestic north American cars. My advise, do due diligence research before buying any car. They should do a recall on this, they know this but prefer to hold onto the money they already have and lose future clients. Well that's fine then!

- , Oshawa, ON, canada

Feb 142014

Sentra SE 1.8L

Coolant leak in cylinder 3. I found 2 gaskets installed, has someone had the same issue?

Update from Mar 4, 2014: I am sorry, it is not 2 gaskets but only 1 that splited in 2 halves.

The glue that holds the 2 parts together failed. I suspect the coolant leak from there.

I checked the head flatnest, Ok.

I will change only the gasket this week and keep you informed of the result.

- , Mont-St-Hilaire, QC, Canada