CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2005 Sentra earned its clunker status after numerous reports of blown head gaskets.

1. replace head gasket (63 reports)
2005 Nissan Sentra engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Nissan Sentra:

2005 Nissan Sentra Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Oct 142015

This is the second time the head gasket went out. The first time was 5 years ago. This time the cylinder was sent to be machined. I took the car home, 2 days later, smoke was coming from under the hood. I pulled into the Nissan place, and they said they had failed to tighten down a bolt and cleaned off the manifold. Off I went, 1 day after that, the car started making a horrible, horrible noise and the oil light came on. Nissan sent a tow truck for the car and told me the oil pump had blown and caused a problem with the timing cover. They fixed it. I picked up the car, got down the street about 3 blocks, the car made a horrible noise, oil light came on and car stopped in the middle of rush hour traffic.

Nissan sent a technician to pick me up and drive the car back to the dealership. They replaced the oil pump with a "brand new oil pump fresh off the line". When I went to pick up the car, they had pulled it under the carport at the dealership and turned it off. I got in and started it up, the engine made a horrible loud noise, and the oil light is back on. No oil getting to the engine. wow.....really!!! 2 new oil pumps later (1 fresh off the Nissan manufacturer line, not sure where the other new one came from) and a head gasket and milling, no Nissan for me. I have no words to tell you how I feel.

One of the Nissan service guys indicated to me that people often blame them for problems after they've worked on a car and that stuff just happens and its not their fault. He said they weren't in that area, even though they took the engine apart. Really! Well, I likened that statement to putting my hand down in a mans pants and squeezing the bloody hell out of his balls, but I did NOT touch the penis. so therefore, I'm not responsible for the excruciating pain in his now useless penis and his other extremities that cause him to faint and thus strike his head on the table as he falls causing a brain injury. Not my fault, man. I wasn't in that area. Sorry for being dramatic, but I feel dramatic and traumatized and pissed off about my "Nissa". OMG! I'm just saying!

- , Denver, CO, USA

Jun 152010

My car started over heating and found out the head gasket was cracked. No machine milling was done at that time. Unfortunately, the car had the head gasket go out again in Oct 2015. Cost me plenty to fix it. And right after that was fixed, 2 days later, my oil light on, loud screeching noises and the broke down. Nissan has tried to repair the car 3 times with no success. Today, my Nissan is at the dealer waiting its fate.

- , Denver, CO, USA

Jun 302014

Sentra SE 1.8L L4

It is fixed now. It is my 3rd Sentra and I never had head gasket issue before. Very disappointed. Only upside, the head didn't warp, neither the engine block needed any corrections.

- , Boisbriand, QC, Canada

Jul 202015

Sentra LX 3.2L

The 2005 Nissan Sentra has been the worst car I ever owned. The head gasket crack 3 times. I replaced the engine twice with 2005 engines and they all cracked. When I called the dealer, he referred me to the Nissan corp. which said it wasn't under warranty and refused to do anything. Why is there not a recall on these cars. The dealer gave me the same line of bull. How many 2005 Nissan Sentras have had the same problem. This car was a lemon and should have been recalled. Three motors and three cracked head gaskets. Come on! There must be a lawyer out there who would like to take this case.

- , El Paso, TX, USA

Jul 272015

Sentra 1.8L

Pathetic that manufacture does not solve problem!hope they loose customers because there product is so bad. They lost me now that this happened. I've maintained this vehicle under severe maintenance .

- , Albuquerque, NM, USA

Jan 052015

- , Niceville, FL, USA

Apr 112013

Sentra Special Edition 1.8L

Misfire #3 cylinder, blown head like everybody else. No more Nissans for me. 67000 mi

- , Hendersonville, NC, USA

Oct 152014

Sentra 1.8L

At 75k miles had a blown head gasket, took it to the dealer and they recommended I replaced the engine of course. 3 days later same issue, all work was done at a Nissan dealer by the way. 4 days later I get a new head installed, no problems now. 1 yr later 65k miles, stuck out in the boonies with the same issue, blown head gasket again. Another wonderful bill. As of today at 200k, cylinder number 4 misfire. WTH is going on with this Sentra crap...Disappointing

- , Corona, CA, USA

Dec 012014

Sentra SE 1.8L

I've read the other complaints and that is exactly the problem for my 2005 Nissan Sentra SE with 1.8 L engine...a blown head gasket. This problem first appeared about 3 years ago. Cost of repair was $1,900 CDN. I now have the Service Engine light appearing again and the problem was P0128, so it looks like the problem may be re-occurring. HELP!!

- , Winnipeg, Manitoba, canada

Sep 142014

Sentra SE 1.8L

Great car until this issue; fairly disappointed to see this such a prevalent issue not taken car of by the manufacture.

- , Cincinnati, OH, USA

Aug 042014

Sentra S 1.8L

I have been told that the Head Gasket needs to be replaced and I am not sure why Nissan doesn't cover this cost since it is from a faulty head gasket. Seems that a whole lot of people are having the same issue with the 1.8 motor and several others.

- , Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Feb 012014

Sentra S 1.8L

I will never buy a Nissan again. I've never seen a car blow head gasket after just over 100,000Km or 64,000 Km. This is a 2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8 and it's well maintained, with everything done on schedule. Visually, it looks good but what a piece of garbage the engine is. The Nissan Corporation should be ashamed, even when compared to some domestic north American cars. My advise, do due diligence research before buying any car. They should do a recall on this, they know this but prefer to hold onto the money they already have and lose future clients. Well that's fine then!

- , Oshawa, ON, canada

Feb 142014

Sentra SE 1.8L

Coolant leak in cylinder 3. I found 2 gaskets installed, has someone had the same issue?

Update from Mar 4, 2014: I am sorry, it is not 2 gaskets but only 1 that splited in 2 halves.

The glue that holds the 2 parts together failed. I suspect the coolant leak from there.

I checked the head flatnest, Ok.

I will change only the gasket this week and keep you informed of the result.

- , Mont-St-Hilaire, QC, Canada

Oct 132012

Sentra 1.8L

This Nissan has given us problems before and this time this took a toll on me since I’m a college student , I just came back from a friends house because this is the only form of transportation I have to school since I have to drive 35 minutes a day to get to school. It took a week to fix and the only problem that me angry was that even after 185 dollars of pre repairs they mechanics said the way the motor was formed the machine couldn’t quite tell what was the problem. The first diagnostics I was to it was one of the four modules on top of the motor, I bought one since I don’t have a lot of money and a week later it was shaking and not starting. The Friday it wouldn’t turn on after multiple times my dad took it to the mechanic and they finally figured out it was the head gasket and it was going to be over a thousand dollars. My dad unfortunately isnt as skeptical as I was but I over heard one of the mechanics mentioning every Sentra 05 they fixed had the same problem so I googled it on I found this website and many others. This isnt a one time problem and now that they recalled the Nissan Altima I have came to conclusion that this is isnt right, its not easy to drop 1300 dollars from one day to another. I had to drop everything for the week just do I wouldn’t be dropped from classes, taken buses and waiting 30-40 minutes for it and being on them for over a hour jus to get to my destination, not feeling comfortable because I couldn’t sleep in my own bed, all just for a stupid head gasket . But besides me all the other people as well, who had to pay the same thing or not pay because money was tight, deserve this issue to be resolved.

- , Wasco, CA, USA

Jul 022013

Sentra 1.8L

My story is much like the others, engine light on with dx of misfire, had spark plugs and coil #3 changed. got me 7 miles round trip to work for another 4000 miles with light going on and off but no code to read cause it would go off before mechanic could read code. Then light stayed on dx of fuel injection relay fail, got car back and light on next day. Back to mechanic who now says " -PRESSURE TESTED COOLING SYSTEM FOR 4 HOURS-REMOVED #3 SPARK PLUG=FOUND PUDDLED COOLANT ON TOP OF PISTON USING A BOROSCOPE TO LOOK INSIDE COMBUSTION CHAMBER-WHICH INDICATES THAT THERE IS EITHER A BLOWN CYLINDER HEAD GASKET AND/OR A CRACK IN THE CYLINDER" seems there is a failure in coil 3 area in my humble opinion ? Only 46683 miles, 2005 NISSAN SENTRA 1.8 color white

- , Placerville, CA, USA

Nov 052012

Sentra S 1.8L

About 8 months ago my sentra starting misfiring badly when started, but only if it had been sitting for at least an hour. The misfires would throw "Random misfires" or "cylinder 3" or "cylinder 4" misfire check engine code. I had to replace my spark plugs about every 3,000 miles as they were fouling.

At first I suspected my fuel pump or a leaky fuel injector and I was either starving or flooding my cylinders. When I was changing the spark plugs and noticed a liquid pooling in the cylinders. I soaked some up in a cloth, smelled it and sure enough it was antifreeze. I had feared it was my head gasket after reading about the issues Nissan has had with their gaskets on these models. Interestingly I had not noticed a significant amount of antifreeze consumption, so I must have caught it early.

Nonetheless, the hard starts, fouling plugs and bad gas mileage motivated me to bring it to a local mechanic. He confirmed my diagnosis and did a head gasket change and I had him change my belts while he was at it. He mentioned that new head gasket was thicker and had three layers, evidently an improvement in design whereas the old one had just one.

Since I caught it early I'm hoping no permanent damage was done and I can drive this thing another 100k. I just got the car back tonite, and so far I have not gotten misfires or other problems.

Update from Apr 20, 2014: I'm at 131,000 miles now and have no problems with hard starts, fouled plugs or check engine lights complaining about cyliner misfires.

- , Lindon, UT, USA

Aug 252012

Sentra 1.8L

First I must say I take excellent care of my car and have everything serviced when it is supposed to be including oil changes every 2500 miles. I have it serviced at a Goodyear tire because Nissan is so expensive. I first got a check engine light one morning and the car was running rough after first starting it. I promptly took it in and I was told it was a coil and it was recommended that all four coils be replaced at a cost of $1,000 because if one went bad the others would soon follow. After I had it for a few days the same problem occurred. They said that one of the coils were bad and replaced it. A few days layer it happened again. This time I was told they didn't know my car was a California car and had put in the wrong coils. They also replaced the spark plugs this time. Since then I have had some heating problems and they have put in a new thermostat and flushed the cooling system. This week I got the check engine light again. This time when I took it in they said I had blown head gasket and cylinders 2 and 3 had low compression. I have taken it to a different mechanic who verified the blown head gasket and hasn't detected other engine problems so will repair it for $900 and will warranty it for one year. First no car should have a blown head gasket even at 128,000 miles especially when it has been serviced so meticulously. Second I am not happy with Goodyear for misdiagnosing the problem.

- , Alpharetta, GA, USA

Feb 112013

Sentra 1.8L

Blown head gasket on a car that has ONLY 68000 miles on it! NEVER BUY NISSAN!!!!!!!!!! It's ridiculous that a car that's under 100,000 has problems like this, and my mechanic even knows me on a first name basis! First, service engine light came on, so I brought the car to a mechanic. He said it's just the problem with a bad coil. I was like, ok, no big deal, paid $180 and got my car back. A few weeks later, the SES sign came back on, brought the car back, and now it was the blown head gasket... yes, the blown head gasket. The mechanic quoted $2000 for the whole motor repair, because if I just replace the gaskets, they don't know what other problems might come up. So, brought a friend of mine and his dad, who's a mechanic, to the shop, they checked it, both couldn't believe the problem was blown head gasket, brought the car to a dealership, hoping that they might do something about this (Town North Nissan in Austin, TX) and they said they've never had complaints like this, saying it's probably my fault for not maintaining the car, they were very RUDE about it, saying that the NISSAN corporate would NEVER pay for this. I'm just baffled and I've been telling everybody how it's the worst nightmare of my life, getting a car like this and the corporate not responsible for things like this (yes.. things like this). NEVER NEVER will buy Nissan.

- , Austin, TX, USA

Nov 012012

I , like others on this site, I have experienced a blown head gasket at approx. 55k miles. I contacted Nissan as this should not happen at such a low mileage and was told I was 32 months out of warranty ( something I am well aware). $1500 out of pocket later and I will never by another Nissan again.

- , Lynnwood, WA, USA

Jul 012012

Sentra 1.8s

Another 2005 Sentra with a Blown Head Gasket. Nissan refuses to recall. They do not stand behind their products - - AVOID NISSAN AT ALL COSTS They lost me and my family as customers forever.

- , New York, NY, USA