CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2005 Sentra earned its clunker status after numerous reports of blown head gaskets.

1.8

2005 Nissan Sentra engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Nissan Sentra:

2005 Nissan Sentra Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

May 012013

Sentra

My Nissan 2005 Sentra completely died at 75000 miles. The car gave no warning just completely did not start one morning. Took it the repair shop and the technician advised me that one of the engine cylinders wasn't firing and it would cost 1600 to repair. My complaint is how can a vehicle that has been serviced at its proper servicing intervals and under 100 K miles possibly have engine issues. My vehicle now outside of the warranty sits in my driveway collecting dust. I have done research online and have come to the understanding that many Nissan Sentra 05 owners have also experienced the same problem which clearly indicates fault from the manufacturer ( Nissan). This was my very first brand new vehicle that I purchased from Nissan. I also currently purchased a Nissan maximal 09 which I took a leap of faith thinking I was getting a better quality vehicle in comparison to the Sentra and now this vehicle has started also started to give me problems ( steering lock module) another defective part from the manufacturer. In which I had to come out of pocket $ 1000 to fix. This experience with Nissan has led me to have a bad taste in my mouth in the overall quality and customer satisfaction of Nissan products. I will not be a repeat customer and advised all car buyers to do their research before making a purchase

- Jamaica, NY, USA

Jul 252016

Sentra

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Sentra. While driving on the interstate at approximately 40 mph, the vehicle lost power and all of the sensor lights illuminated. The vehicle was pulled onto the left shoulder. The vehicle restarted and was driven approximately one mile; however, the failure recurred. The vehicle was towed to a mechanic who diagnosed that the crank shaft sensor had to be replaced due to overheating. The VIN was excluded from NHTSA campaign number: 07V527000 (engine, engine cooling). The failure mileage was 166,000.

- Lakeside, CA, USA

Jun 032015

Sentra

Engine light has been on for at least 2yrs or longer. The vehicle is running hot. I've replaced the thermostat, water pump, radiator, throttle body, etc. I've spent hundreds of dollars. Nissan needs to stand behind their products, and correct this madness. Then want to say because you don't have a warranty nothing could be done. Too many people has reported this similar issue to now take action and classify this as a recall to their expense. The consumer has spent enough money to try and correct this headache, and still not have the matter corrected. My vehicle still runs hot, and it's terrifying to watch that needle move constantly in the hot area of the gauge as I drive the highway, and streets everyday.

- Hazelwood, MO, USA

Dec 152015

Sentra

Engine die while driving on the fwy & won't restart. Been close to cause an accident. Happening very often...

- Arleta, CA, USA

Dec 212015

Sentra

My check engine light comes on and the car keeps running hot after I just got the coolant flushed.

- Hampton, VA, USA

Aug 032015

Sentra

When driving at 25 mph car suddenly shut off. Taken to mechanic informed it is a failure in the crankshaft position sensor. I was informed by Nissan my VIN is not included in the recall as I have a 1.8 L engine and not the 2.5 L

- Yuma, AZ, USA

May 012015

Sentra

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Sentra. While attempting to start the vehicle, the engine would not immediately start. Once the engine started, fuel fumes were present inside the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the ignition coil and engine sensor were faulty and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 110,000.

- Baton Rouge, LA, USA

Mar 192011

Sentra

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Sentra. While driving at a low speed, the contact noticed that the temperature gauge began to increase as the vehicle overheated. In addition, the steering wheel seized. The vehicle was taken to a mechanic who diagnosed that the head gasket needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 82,544.

- Anaheim, CA, USA

Dec 152014

Sentra 4-cyl

Engine stopped running all of the sudden. As I came out of the freeway driving about 15 mph used a scanner and I got a P0335 code (crank shaft position sensor) checked recalls form Nissan and it says that my VIN does not have any recalls. It seems to be the same problem with a previous recalls on a 2.5 L engines. This is a very dangerous issue since it seems that could happen at any time. Amazed that this issue has not been recalled.

- Lompoc , CA, USA

Nov 232013

Sentra 4-cyl

Car start over heating changed coolant, thermostat but no resolve dealer suggests its head gasket that is very common in Nissan Sentra 2005.

- South Windsor, CT, USA

Sep 052014

Sentra 4-cyl

After weeks of vehicle misfiring and attempts at diagnosing, local Nissan dealer found cracked head gasket. Stated they refilled coolant levels and vehicle should be okay for a while. Vehicle's head gasket will need to be replaced. Quoted $1200.

- Elmira, NY, USA

Apr 302014

Sentra 4-cyl

My 2005 Nissan Sentra has only 30,000 miles on it and has a blown head gasket. It has had issues with heating and cooling ever since I bought it. It is not as reliable as I thought. I have taken it to the dealer for every scheduled oil change and tune up. It is in perfect condition. Now, the engine shakes when I start the car. It is costing me a lot to fix and maintain this car. Nissan Corp of America should take responsibility for the faulty head gasket in the 2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S model.

- Overland Park, KS, USA

Aug 152014

Sentra 4-cyl

Traveling on main highway w/ air temp (oat) 90 degrees. Running A/C. coolant temp showed normal. Vechicle stalled and coasted to a stop. Waited and it started. Did this four more times before destination. Code 335 reading (camshaft sensor). 1.8L engine. Not 2.5. replaced both camshaft and crankshaft sensors.

- Burleson, TX, USA

May 142013

Sentra 4-cyl

While heading to work, my car lost power due to a screw from a power intake valve (butterfly valve as the dealership referred to it) coming loose and falling inside the #1 cylinder chamber. Inside the chamber, the piston quickly bent the spark plug electrodes together causing the car to shut off and lose power. I was inside morning rush hour traffic at the time of the incident and was nearly in a rear end collision as a result. The dealership pointed out inadvertently that there was a service bulletin covering this issue. I researched these bulletins and found bulletin ntb05-058B. This covers the exact problem that happened to my vehicle. There is a catch with this bulletin. I own a 2005 Nissan Sentra ser specv manufactured in Oct. 2004. The company claims my VIN falls outside the service bulletin by mere weeks. This problem had not been properly addressed and my engine failed because of such. I have contacted Nissan Corp. Directly and they place me in the hands of Nissan regional. I was given excuse after excuse as to why my vehicle would not be repaired by the factory. #1. vehicle fell outside the service bulletin date range. #2 age of vehicle and mileage even though a brand new engine was placed in Oct 2008. #3. customer loyalty was in question as Nissan did not service my engine. When I inquired how oil changes were relevant, I was told the technicians would have found this issue during a twenty-one point inspection. I asked for clarification as to why I would believe Nissan would have dissembled my engine, found a loose screw and re-assembled my engine all during an oil change. Also, this problem should have been addressed properly when my engine was replaced in October of 2008. Loosing engine power in heavy traffic, nearly being in an accident is not a matter I want to take lightly. Do I have a valid argument against Nissan?

- Vanceboro, NC, USA

Sep 302013

Sentra

I own a 2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S. We were replacing a few problem areas under the hood, and after replacement noticed the car would not drive more than 30mph. Even getting it up to 30mph is a struggle. We took it to a couple repair shops, including a local Nissan dealership. No one is able to identify the issues we have replaced the throttle body (which is one meant for a 2006 year not 2005), and the gas pedal position sensor, 3 times. The car has been sitting for the last 5 1/2 months. Nissan does not know what the issue is. They charged me for the gas pedal position sensor, even though we just had it replaced and that part was in fact a good part! they charged us for their unfounded guesses.

- Galveston, TX, USA

Mar 152014

Sentra 4-cyl

As I was driving on the freeway the vehicle lost power and shut off on me. Car wont start. Blown head gasket and engine problems.

- Long Beach, CA, USA

Jun 202013

Sentra 4-cyl

On June 20, 2013 I brought my 2005 Nissan Sentra into curry Nissan in yorktown hts, NY 10598 because my check engine light went on saying it was my swirl valve part # 75150 code P1138. They charged me $110 to update my engine ECU as per tech bulletin. On Nov. 20th my check engine light went on again and I brought it to the nearest service station and was once again told that it was the same code for the swirl valve and that I was to take it to Nissan.. I was lucky enough that this problem did not cause an accident but am I expected to have this happen every 5 or 6 months? please advise me if this is a recall.

- Yorktown Heights, NY, USA

Aug 192013

Sentra

2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S with approx. 63000 miles. Car started having issues with starting, approx. 1-2 years ago. Then about a month ago, owner noticed vehicle engine shuddering/running roughly, for several seconds, immediately after cold start in the morning. On evening of Aug. 19th, car was exceptionally difficult to start, and ran rough for more than 1 minute. Check engine light was illuminated. Upon inspection, was determined to be faulty head gasket. Repair, approx. $900.

- La Grande, OR, USA

Jul 162012

Sentra 4-cyl

My car overheated, then I took it to a mechanic and the entire engine was blown and I had to pay $1200 to fix it and come to find out, there was a recall on my make and model and year on the water pump which would have caused my car to overheat and thus not having to have my engine blown. When I called to find out about the recall Nissan informed that my vehicle was not one of those included but it matched the year, make and model"??" I want answers...

- Bristol, TN, USA

Apr 302013

Sentra

The contact owns a 2005 nissa Sentra. The contact stated that while driving approximately 65 mph, the engine stalled without warning. The contact merged to the shoulder. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic for diagnosis and they were unable to locate the problem. There was a recall associated with NHTSA campaign id number 07V527000 (engine and engine cooling). The vehicle had not been repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the defect. The approximate failure mileage was 142,000.

- Shaker Heights, OH, USA