1.8

2005 Nissan Sentra engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Nissan Sentra:

2005 Nissan Sentra Owner Comments

Dec 152014

Sentra

Engine stopped running all of the sudden. As I came out of the freeway driving about 15 mph used a scanner and I got a P0335 code (crank shaft position sensor) checked recalls form Nissan and it says that my VIN does not have any recalls. It seems to be the same problem with a previous recalls on a 2.5 L engines. This is a very dangerous issue since it seems that could happen at any time. Amazed that this issue has not been reacalled.

- Lompoc , CA, USA

Nov 232013

Sentra

Car start over heating changed coolant, thermostat but no resolve dealer suggests its head gasket that is very common in Nissan Sentra 2005

- South Windsor, CT, USA

Sep 052014

Sentra

After weeks of vehicle misfiring and attempts at diagnosing, local Nissan dealer found cracked head gasket. Stated they refilled coolant levels and vehicle should be okay for a while. Vehicle's head gasket will need to be replaced. Quoted $1200.

- Elmira, NY, USA

Apr 302014

Sentra

My 2005 Nissan Sentra has only 30,000 miles on it and has a blown head gasket. It has had issues with heating and cooling ever since I bought it. It is not as reliable as I thought. I have taken it to the dealer for every scheduled oil change and tune up. It is in perfect condition. Now, the engine shakes when I start the car. It is costing me a lot to fix and maintain this car. Nissan Corp of America should take responsibility for the faulty head gasket in the 2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S model.

- Overland Park, KS, USA

Aug 152014

Sentra

Traveling on main highway w/ air temp (oat) 90 degrees. Running A/C. coolant temp showed normal. Vechicle stalled and coasted to a stop. Waited and it started. Did this four more times before destination. Code 335 reading (camshaft sensor). 1.8L engine. Not 2.5. replaced both camshaft and crankshaft sensors.

- Burleson, TX, USA

May 142013

Sentra 4-cyl

While heading to work, my car lost power due to a screw from a power intake valve (butterfly valve as the dealership referred to it) coming loose and falling inside the #1 cylinder chamber. Inside the chamber, the piston quickly bent the spark plug electrodes together causing the car to shut off and lose power. I was inside morning rush hour traffic at the time of the incident and was nearly in a rear end collision as a result. The dealership pointed out inadvertently that there was a service bulletin covering this issue. I researched these bulletins and found bulletin ntb05-058B. This covers the exact problem that happened to my vehicle. There is a catch with this bulletin. I own a 2005 Nissan Sentra ser specv manufactured in Oct. 2004. The company claims my VIN falls outside the service bulletin by mere weeks. This problem had not been properly addressed and my engine failed because of such. I have contacted Nissan Corp. Directly and they place me in the hands of Nissan regional. I was given excuse after excuse as to why my vehicle would not be repaired by the factory. #1. vehicle fell outside the service bulletin date range. #2 age of vehicle and mileage even though a brand new engine was placed in Oct 2008. #3. customer loyalty was in question as Nissan did not service my engine. When I inquired how oil changes were relevant, I was told the technicians would have found this issue during a twenty-one point inspection. I asked for clarification as to why I would believe Nissan would have dissembled my engine, found a loose screw and re-assembled my engine all during an oil change. Also, this problem should have been addressed properly when my engine was replaced in October of 2008. Loosing engine power in heavy traffic, nearly being in an accident is not a matter I want to take lightly. Do I have a valid argument against Nissan?

- Vanceboro, NC, USA

Sep 302013

Sentra

I own a 2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S. We were replacing a few problem areas under the hood, and after replacement noticed the car would not drive more than 30mph. Even getting it up to 30mph is a struggle. We took it to a couple repair shops, including a local Nissan dealership. No one is able to identify the issues we have replaced the throttle body (which is one meant for a 2006 year not 2005), and the gas pedal position sensor, 3 times. The car has been sitting for the last 5 1/2 months. Nissan does not know what the issue is. They charged me for the gas pedal position sensor, even though we just had it replaced and that part was in fact a good part! they charged us for their unfounded guesses.

- Galveston, TX, USA

Mar 152014

Sentra 4-cyl

As I was driving on the freeway the vehicle lost power and shut off on me. Car wont start. Blown head gasket and engine problems.

- Long Beach, CA, USA

Jun 202013

Sentra 4-cyl

On June 20, 2013 I brought my 2005 Nissan Sentra into curry Nissan in yorktown hts, NY 10598 because my check engine light went on saying it was my swirl valve part # 75150 code P1138. They charged me $110 to update my engine ECU as per tech bulletin. On Nov. 20th my check engine light went on again and I brought it to the nearest service station and was once again told that it was the same code for the swirl valve and that I was to take it to Nissan.. I was lucky enough that this problem did not cause an accident but am I expected to have this happen every 5 or 6 months? please advise me if this is a recall.

- Yorktown Heights, NY, USA

Aug 192013

Sentra

2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S with approx. 63000 miles. Car started having issues with starting, approx. 1-2 years ago. Then about a month ago, owner noticed vehicle engine shuddering/running roughly, for several seconds, immediately after cold start in the morning. On evening of Aug. 19th, car was exceptionally difficult to start, and ran rough for more than 1 minute. Check engine light was illuminated. Upon inspection, was determined to be faulty head gasket. Repair, approx. $900.

- La Grande, OR, USA

Jul 162012

Sentra 4-cyl

My car overheated, then I took it to a mechanic and the entire engine was blown and I had to pay $1200 to fix it and come to find out, there was a recall on my make and model and year on the water pump which would have caused my car to overheat and thus not having to have my engine blown. When I called to find out about the recall Nissan informed that my vehicle was not one of those included but it matched the year, make and model"??" I want answers...

- Bristol, TN, USA

Apr 302013

Sentra

The contact owns a 2005 nissa Sentra. The contact stated that while driving approximately 65 mph, the engine stalled without warning. The contact merged to the shoulder. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic for diagnosis and they were unable to locate the problem. There was a recall associated with NHTSA campaign id number 07V527000 (engine and engine cooling). The vehicle had not been repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the defect. The approximate failure mileage was 142,000.

- Shaker Heights, OH, USA

Feb 202013

Sentra 4-cyl

I have a 1.8L 2005 Nissan Sentra. As I was driving to work my vehicle shutdown. I looked at the recall NHTSA campaign number 07V527000 crankshaft position sensor failure/engine stall. I was going 65mph on the freeway when my car died. I had my mechanic look at my car and found it was the crankshaft position sensor.

- Cottage Grove, OR, USA

Sep 012012

Sentra 4-cyl

I am the first owner of Nissan Sentra 1.8S 2005. At mileage 74,900, the check engine light turned on and a Nissan dealership retrieved the code P0303 cylinder 3 misfiring on September 1, 2012. I also noticed, the coolant started to drop. Specifically, first time I reported the coolant drop to a Nissan dealer on October 9, 2012 (at mileage 75,557) who ran a pressure test but asked to come back if I noticed the coolant drop again. When the coolant dropped again, the Nissan dealer detected a coolant leak in number 3 cylinder January 4, 2013 (at mileage 76,577) and replaced the engine gaskets, thermostat asmy, engine oil and all necessary parts needed for repairs on January 7, 2013. I paid all the expenses for repairs as Nissan. I filed a formal complaint with Nissan and they informed me that since there is no recall and the car?S powertrain warranty has expired, Nissan will not reimburse me the expenses for the repairs done at the Nissan dealership. I consider myself lucky that I noticed the drop in coolant and the engine was not significantly damaged. I wonder what could have happened if I were in the middle of a busy freeway and the car engine ceased. This is a dangerous component failure with life threatening consequences. Given that this failure has nothing to do with the driver of the car and can happen anytime, I would like to know why Nissan never recalled. After reading few online bulletin boards and complaints at NHTSA (safercar.gov), it appears to me that it is a known problem for this vehicle model.

- Burlington, MA, USA

Jan 062013

Sentra

Camshaft position valve- engine would misfire and buck while driving first thing in the morning and at low speeds, but would be fine at high speeds.

- Sea Bright, NJ, USA

Oct 182012

Sentra 4-cyl

NHTSA action number: RQ06001 requires Nissan to fix the recalled crankshaft sensor in our car because the part has been recalled for safety reasons, however Nissan refuses to fix this problem. It is unsafe to drive and needs to be fixed.

- Ogden, UT, USA

Dec 082009

Sentra

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Sentra. While driving approximately 45 mph, the engine staled with the illumination of the entire instrument panel. The contact was able to coast to the side of the road safely. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic where the crank shaft position sensor was replaced at the owner's expense. There was a recall under NHTSA campaign id number 07V527000 (engine and engine cooling); however the VIN was unavailable. In addition, whenever refueling the fuel would spray out of the fuel tank filler neck. There was a recall related to the defect under NHTSA campaign id number 05V269000 (fuel system, gasoline:storage). The VIN was inelgible under the recall; however the dealer had taken responsibility of the repair expense. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 68,000.

- South Paris, ME, USA

Aug 222012

Sentra 4-cyl

The head gasket failed prematurely on my 2005 Nissan Sentra at 82,450 miles. There was issues when the vehicle would start up in the mornings or on cold starts. Engine would misfire 3-5 seconds after starting. I immediately took the vehicle to my local Nissan dealership. Computer codes P0303 and P0300 were detected. Coolant was found inside cylinder number 3. a Nissan service technician confirmed it was a failed head gasket and said that this problem is common this generation of vehicles. Vehicle was very well taken care of. All the vehicle's maintenance was performed at the Nissan dealership at the proper and recommended intervals. This a very common problem in 2000-2006 1.8L Sentra that must be addressed. Head gaskets should not fail at this mileage range, especially when the vehicle was 100% up to date on maintenance.

- Palmdale, CA, USA

Jun 302012

Sentra 4-cyl

I bought this car new in 2005. Shortly after I purchased this car, I noticed that it was hard to start on some occasions. I thought it was a problem with the battery and thought nothing of it and would just replace the battery when it died. On the June 30, 2012, the car would not start at all. Took it to a place to have fixed and was told the head gasket had a hole in it and my coolant was leaking in one of the piston chambers. When the tech explained what happened to the car when I start it up, it was exactly what I have been experiencing with this car for a very long time. I told him that this was an older car problem and he relayed to me that this was a common problem with this car. This is a very expensive repair and should have been fixed by Nissan as it seems to be a flaw in its design. Will never buy another Nissan again.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA