2005 Nissan Titan fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Nissan Titan:

2005 Nissan Titan Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Jun 072012

Titan 8-cyl

Fuel gauge bouncing around going from a half a tank of gas to a quarter tank of gas. Call Nissan dealership also company. They said there is no recall for the fuel sending unit. But I see on their website that there is.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

May 152010

Titan 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Titan. The contact stated that he noticed that the fuel gauge was not providing an accurate reading. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis. The technician was unable to diagnose the failure. There was a recall under NHTSA campaign number: 10V074000 (fuel system, other) that could have been related to the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and stated the vehicle was not included in the recall. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 150,000.

- Springfield, MO, USA

May 122011

Titan

The spider gears in my rear differential sheared off, causing catastrophic failure of my rear end. This has been a huge problem with the Nissan Titans, and should be addressed.

- Jblm, WA, USA

Dec 012012

Titan

My 2005 Nissan Titan is exhibiting the failures as outlined in Nissan NHTSA recall campaign 06V459000 (electrical system / wiring harness) and NHTSA recall campaign 10V074000 (fuel system / fuel gauge system). After reporting my issues to my local Nissan dealer and Nissan Consumer Affairs, I was told my VIN was not included in either recall campaign. Nissan Consumer Affairs finally gave me a case number and told me to have my local Nissan dealer diagnose the truck and provide the written diagnosis and cost estimate to a Nissan Consumer Affairs specialist. After paying $85 for a diagnosis, the local dealer confirmed in a written diagnosis and estimate, that my truck was experiencing the same failures that the 2 recalls cite and that my truck needed the same remedies as outlined in the recalls. After providing this information to the Nissan Consumer Affairs specialist, Nissan declined to cover my repairs stating that my VIN was not included, I did not have a complete history of Nissan servicing my vehicle and that my vehicle was outside the limited warranty term. I knew my truck was outside the warranty term, my truck needs to be included in the recall campaign, which has nothing to do with warranty. Nissan is negligent in not including my truck in the recall. I have seen this same complaint from numerous others in my same situation, on this website and other online forums. The recall needs to be expanded as they obviously are not covering all vehicles affected by the failures cited.

- Joplin, MO, USA

Dec 202012

Titan 8-cyl

Loud exhaust sound coming from the front, on both sides for the engine compartment. Due to a cracked manifold. I could also smell exhaust fumes inside. I keep the window cracked open when I drive for safety reasons, mostly when I have my wife and kids in the vehicle.

- Milford, CT, USA

Sep 082010

Titan 4WD 8-cyl

I was on my way home, from an errand. The engine began to run irregularly, then shut off. At first I did not think I was our of gas because the fuel gauge indicated that there was 1/4 tank of gas. After I tried a few times and failed to get it started I walked to a gas station and got gas, put it in the tank and my vehicle started. At the time of this incident I was fortunate that I was able to coast into a wide driveway and avoid being rear ended.

- Macedonia, OH, USA

Feb 122012

Titan

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Titan. The contact stated that the vehicle stalled without warning. The fuel level gauge displayed the fuel tank as being one quarter tank full. The vehicle was towed to the contact's residence and upon further inspection, it was discovered that the fuel gauge malfunctioned and was providing inaccurate fuel level readings. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was contacted about the issue and informed the contact that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign id number: 10V074000 (fuel system, other:storage:fuel gauge system). The failure mileage was 126,000 and the current mileage was 137,405.

- Livingston, LA, USA

Sep 172012

Titan

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Titan pickup. The contact stated that while driving the vehicle it started sputtering and ran out of fuel on the highway. The vehicle was towed to the dealer who stated there was a recall NHTSA campaign id number: 10V074000 (fuel system, other: Storage: Fuel gauge system). The contact mentioned that after having the recall repairs performed, strong fumes continued to emit in and around the vehicle. In addition, the vehicle failed to accelerate pass 40 mph. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer in three different occasions within the week to repair the fuel system. The dealer repaired the fuel level sender and the ECM relay. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 89,000.

- Acushnet, MA, USA

Aug 192012

Titan 8-cyl

Traveling at 65 mph when the vehicle ran out of gas. The fuel gauge indicated that there was between 1/4 and 1/8 of a tank remaining and the low fuel warning light had not come on. Multiple attempts to restart the engine were unsuccessful. Upon adding 1.5 gallons of fuel the vehicle re-started on the first try so it was definitely out of gas. Nissan has a recall for this very issue but I was told it does not cover my VIN# although it is for some vehicles of my make and model year. I paid to have the fuel sensor in the gas tank repaired and the problem went away immediately and has not resurfaced. Nissan may need to expand their recall as my vehicle definitely experienced the symptoms of the recalled vehicles.

- Broken Arrow, OK, USA

Jun 252012

Titan

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Titan. The contact stated that the vehicle stalled without warning. The contact stated that she pulled the vehicle over to the side of the road and noticed that the fuel gauge displayed a reading of one quarter of a tank but was actually empty. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer to be repaired where they informed that the Titan sender unit fuel gauge needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the issue and informed the contact that the vehicle was not included in the recall. The failure mileage was 32,000.

- Weyauwega, WI, USA

Jun 142012

Titan 4WD 8-cyl

I was driving home on a state route with a speed limit of 55 mph. The vehicle indicated there was 1/4 of a tank of fuel left and then the engine abruptly shut off while I was going 55 mph with traffic behind me and very limited run off on the side of the highway. When the vehicle shut off I lost all power steering and the vehicle became very hard to stop. Luckily I was in a truck and was able to pull of onto the grass on the side of the road, otherwise it may have caused an accident. I did a little research and found there was already an incident filed for this, but when I called somehow my vehicle wasn't covered, even though my symptoms matched the NHTSA recall 10V07400 exactly. It was a very scary experience and could have been much worse had the road been busier or I hadn't pulled off. I had to wait for gas on a very busy road with very little room between my truck and other traffic. I think if my vehicle isn't covered under the recall it should be expanded since it was the exact same scenario as other Nissan's were having, and could have been much worse.

- Lebanon, OH, USA

Jun 152010

Titan

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Titan. The contact stated that the vehicle stalled while driving at various speeds. The failure recurred intermittently. The contact eventually noticed that the fuel gauge was not displaying the proper fuel level reading. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer and the contact was informed that the vehicle was not included in the recall associated with NHTSA campaign id number 10V074000 (fuel system, other:storage:fuel gauge system). The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified and offered no assistance. The failure mileage was 70,000.

- Springfield, MO, USA

Apr 112012

Titan 4WD 8-cyl

I've had two incidents where my truck has run out of gas due to the fuel gauge displaying the wrong amount of gas in the tank. There has been a recall on 2005 - 2009 Titans for this specific problem yet my vehicles VIN hasn't been associated with the recall. I've contacted two local dealers and the Nissan company directly for a resolution but I've been told that I would have to repair the problem myself. Is there anything that can be done concerning this discrepancy? thank you for your time.

- Memphis, TN, USA