2008 Nissan Versa steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Nissan Versa:

2008 Nissan Versa Owner Comments

Jan 062016

Versa

My wife was making right hand turn, entering a highway, she lost total control of the steering. The vehicle veered to the left then veered to the right. She was able to stop the vehicle without incident and parked on the shoulder. Had car towed to garage, mechanic inspected suspension and steering, and was unable to find a problem. H stated he went on line and discovered some steering issues. However, he stated, because it has an electronic power steering system, resetting the system by turning off the engine and restarting the vehicle should solve the immediate problem (as it was stated on the forum). This is ridiculous when you are going 60 mph and going back and forth across the road. I went to the local Nissan dealership and he stated he knew nothing about this issue.

- Montoursville, PA, USA

Jul 302014

Versa

Clunking noises emitted from the front of the car when turning the steering wheel at slower speeds, such as when turning into a parking space. Vehicle was taken to dealership and diagnosed with excessive play between the wheel and tie rod end. Power steering rack was replaced. This occurred at 53,683 miles.

- Lancaster, PA, USA

Feb 202008

Versa

The contact owns a 2008 Nissan Versa. The contact stated that when making a right turn, there was an abnormal noise coming from the driver's side of the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed but the part that needed to be replaced was unknown. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 3,000. Updated 4/15/15

- Cooperstown, NY, USA

May 162014

Versa

The intelligent key will not start the car, even when using the actual key and not the remote. The car beeps four times and displays a red car on the dash. When I put the key in the ignition, it will not turn.

- Hartford, CT, USA

Sep 162013

Versa 4-cyl

Approximately one year before having the car part repaired, I noticed that when I turned the steering wheel hard to the left to make a tight turn I heard a creaking noise. I was not sure what it was and mentioned it to my mechanic when I brought the car in for an oil change. Mechanic felt it was related to the axle. My husband noticed the noise when driving my car and brought it back to the mechanic. Mechanic had to order a new Nissan axle for the car. The cost of the part and the labor to replace it was at my expense. The mechanic said he was going to return the damaged part to Nissan because he felt it was a defect in manufacturing because this part should not have to be replaced on a 5 year old car with such low mileage.

- Melrose Park, IL, USA

Apr 052013

Versa

The car has begun to make a loud metal clunking sound at the top right suspension as well as what almost sounds like a grinding but not similar to that of the braking system. I was going around a curve at the time. The sound gets worse when going down a hill changing speeds, switching lanes, on pot holes or an uneven surface. I took it to a few different places and could not reproduce the problem at the time. While driving with a more experienced mechanic he was able to determine the sound to be isolated to the right strut and the left inner tie rod. He said that the struts are usually only replaced once in a cars lifetime so I am wondering why it needs to be replaced so soon. I am writing the complaint because I think this has been an issue all along. The car needs an abnormal amount of realignments and brake replacements. When I first received the car the rotors and brakes had to be replaced because somehow they had been installed backwards. The steering has always felt insecure as well as the feeling when pressing the gas and the brakes. The feeling I have now under the pedals when the sound of the strut malfunctioning engages I have felt all along but not this intensely. There may be an issue with the parts used as I have spoken to so many Nissan owners who reported the same issue of steering and exhaust system issues on Nissan.

- Gwynn Oak, MD, USA

Jun 222011

Versa

Vehicle has an increasingly loud clunking noise emanating from front suspension when turn is made or small bump/hole is moved over. Sounds as if there is metal on metal and lose components in the suspension. This noise is not apparent at higher speeds and only is audible when going over a bump/pot hole. Additionally, when vehicle turns, there is a noticeable 'klunk' in the steering assembly that is often exacerbated when going over a bump in the road. Steering feels lose when this happens as if joint is malfunctioning.

- Milwaukee, WI, USA

Aug 052012

Versa 4-cyl

Slowed to stop sign, abrupt stop as driver side wheel smashed into body of vehicle. Mechanic states sub-chassis completely rusted to pieces and cv joint disengaged wheel. Had the driver been traveling 50-70 mph someone would have been killed. This vehicle was purchased new from Nissan of melbourne. Except for one summer weekend to Georgia, vehicle has never left Florida.

- Melbourne, FL, USA

Sep 012011

Versa

Loud clunk noise and loud popping noise coming from the steering wheels when making left turn at 5 to 10 mph, on and off noise sometimes cold weather sometimes hot weather, when parked and engine is on turning steering wheels right and left makes loud knuckle popping noise.

- Bergenfield, NJ, USA

Apr 152012

Versa 4-cyl

Driving into parking lot, made left turn then loud "klunck" noise. Both wheels turned inward and saw that the driver's side steering rod was snapped in half. Experienced popping noises before but was informed by dealer that its just normal. Vehicle now getting repaired at dealership. Could have been disastrous had it happen on the freeway or in moving traffic area. Looking into possible legal action.

- Lakewood, CA, USA

Feb 022009

Versa

1st...after 25K miles the car began to shift on its own irregularly, finally at 45K it was noticed that the cvt was not working properly. It was replaced under warranty, even though it was covered it actually cost me 1,800 for an extended warranty. Second problem was a thumping noise as I went over a bump in the front end that was diagnosed as damaged struts and the sub frame links, this was not covered by warranty, and we are stuck with this ongoing faulty problem. It is greater than 4,000 to fix.

- 07950, NJ, USA

Jan 162012

Versa

We had just gone throw the sunpass lane on I-275 N. my wife was driving and she started to push on the gas pedal and the engine die (ten feet out of the toll booth). She tried 3 times to start the car motor and each time it started and then stopped. I jumped out of the car to push the car across 4 lanes of traffic (lucky it was 11:00pm) and there was not a lot of traffic. We had to have the car towed to our garage. They (hummel tire & auto, reg.#: mv-66432) was told my Nissan (crown) that they knew about this problem and had a new improved A/C compressor (926001U60A,081468/251G. (the dash broad light "ps") we was very lucky that we did not get hit the rear, because we could not move. I had my wife, mother(83), and myself (58). Nissan should have a recall on this part, before anyone dies. The dash broad light "ps" electric power steering systems.

- Largo, FL, USA

Sep 012010

Versa

Clunk or popping noise coming for the front suspension or steering column. This can be heard and felt when driving at speeds less than 10 mph in combination with turning.

- Brandon, MS, USA

Aug 182010

Versa

The contact owns a 2008 Nissan Versa. The contact stated that while driving approximately 55 mph and attempting to change lanes and slow down, the brakes did not function and she could not control the steering wheel. The vehicle spun out of control and crashed into a guard rail. The contact experienced head and back pain. A police report was filed. The air bags did not deploy and the vehicle was destroyed. The contact had not spoken with the manufacturer at the time of the complaint. The current and failure mileages were unknown.

- Livingston, NJ, USA

Jan 012010

Versa

2008 Nissan Versa, steering noise and klunking sound when turning right at slow speeds. I have read on the internet that many other Versa owners have had the same problem. It seems like this should be a recall item by the Nissan dealers.

- St Petersburg, FL, USA

Jun 152010

Versa

We own a 2008 Nissan Versa. It currently only has 9,400 miles on it. When driving it there is a "popping" feel underneath the floorboards/ in the front end of the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealership 2-26-09 where they replaced both upper strut bearings and completed a front wheel alignment. Again, the vehicle exhibited the same issues and on August 5, 2009 both upper strut bearings were replaced and another alignment was completed. We took the vehicle to the dealership again yesterday with the same complaint. This time they say they can't "hear" it (you can't hear it, but you can feel it), so they didn't do anything. They refused to even put it up on the lift to take a look at the assembly since they couldn't "hear" anything. After doing research, we are seeing this same complaint on many different websites. Nissan needs to fix these vehicles. One listed on this site was involved in an accident apparently due to the strut failure.

- Lafayette, IN, USA

May 032010

Versa

Steering wheel has a clunking feel and makes a clunking noise when the wheel is turns sharply to the left or right when stopped or at low speeds. I have mentioned this twice when I took the car to the dealers for oil changes and was told "that is just the way ste steering column feels".

- Long Beach, NY, USA

Sep 042009

Versa

The steering wheel has a clunk or pop that is both audible and felt in the wheel when making turns to the right at low speeds. At 10,000 miles I began hearing and feeling this clunk. At 18,000 miles I brought my vehicle to the dealer and they said they would have to replace the entire steering column and that it was a safety concern. The stopped the sound and the pop/clunk. 1000 miles later the sound started reappearing. I brought my vehicle to the dealer 5 times since and the dealer claims to not be able to hear the sound. I am aware of two technical service bulletins on this issue. I believe the part is systemic defective and unsafe. I believe this needs to be researched as a defect and requires a recall.

- Frederick, MD, USA