2009 Nissan Versa wheels / hubs problems

wheels / hubs problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Nissan Versa:

2009 Nissan Versa Owner Comments

Jun 222015

Versa

The coil spring on my front passenger side tire broke in two and then moved out of place to damage and eventually pop my tire (in a matter of minutes). The edges of the break on the spring are very jagged and tore away the rubber from my tire as I was driving.

- Windsor Mill, MD, USA

Mar 102015

Versa

I went out to start my car back in March and saw that I had a flat tire. I thought it was a routine flat tire until I went to get the car repaired and they billed me for $1500 & explained how my struts on my front wheels busted so bad that it was pushing on my tires puncturing the front passenger tire. They went on to explain further how I must have hit something extremely hard B/C those are very difficult to break. Since there was nothing but the occasional bump in the road I hit I realized that something had to be wrong with the strut and springs. This complaint is motivated by the fact that my struts and springs could have broken during my routine trips on the highway between bloomington and indianapolis. If they would have broke at that time while traveling between 50-70 mph I would have been in a high speed accident that could very easily have taken my life or the others around me.

- Zionsville, IN, USA

Nov 302012

Versa 4-cyl

I was turning onto a side street and heard a thump under my hood on the right side of the car. There was no difficulty driving although I kept hearing thumps for days after. I went in to a garage to get my snow tires put on and the garage saw that the spring above my right front tire was sheered in half and had damaged my tire. I had it towed to the nearest Nissan and they fixed it while I went and bought new tires. About 3 months later, it happened on the left side. Then about a year after that, the spring above the right front tire broke again, so I replaced it a third time to a cost of $1200 per spring. I contacted Nissan and was told no recall was in place for this. The mechanic at the garage told me this was a common problem for this car. In addition, at the same time, I noticed the engine losing power at different times, especially when stopped at a light or upon acceleration from a low speed to a high speed. No check engine light, no engine trouble noted, just loss of power. Shutting the car off and turning it back on seems to reset it but it's an ongoing issue.

- Clifton Park, NY, USA

Apr 282015

Versa

Right front coil spring snapped. Burst the tire. Had to be towed to Nissan dealer. Both front coil springs within 1000 miles, vehicle only has 31000 miles on it. Faulty part. Could cause an accident. (have made a complaint for each spring on this site.)

- Franklin, NH, USA

Apr 232015

Versa 4-cyl

After smelling rubber burning and the car not handling correctly. I checked the suspension to find both coil springs (passenger and drivers side) were broken. The drivers side broken coil was applying pressure to the inside wall of the tire wearing a large groove in the entire diameter of the tire. This could have cause serious injury and must be addressed by Nissan and or the supplier of the springs. The repair was expensive (coil, struts and a tire).

- Rye, NH, USA

Feb 042014

Versa

The contact owns a 2009 Nissan Versa. The contact stated that the struts were prematurely wearing the tires. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that all four tires and struts needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. In addition, the contact discovered that the driver side coil spring fractured. The vehicle was unable to be driven and the part to repair the vehicle was ordered. The manufacturer was notified of the failures. The approximate failure mileage was 37,000. Updated 4/20/15

- Geneva, MN, USA

Mar 012014

Versa 4-cyl

Left front coil spring snapped and is hitting left front tire. Car worked fine on Friday. Went out to garage sat. Morning to run errands and when I pulled out of the garage I heard a strange noise. Parked it and called my brother who came to look at it and noticed the snapped coil spring hitting the tire. Car is going to the repair shop this afternoon and expect at least a $350 charge. I went online and saw many complaints on this same issue and apparently Nissan has not issued a recall. I just thank god it was parked and I wasn't driving it.

- Chicopee, MA, USA

Jun 062014

Versa 4-cyl

During the month of May 2014 the Versa started to make clicking noises at the front of the car especially when I applied the brakes. The sounds got worse and the car was not performing well. I took it to the service station in my neighbourhood and the person who repaired my car had to replace the 2 front strut mounts, 2 front coil springs and align the 4'wheels! the car only had 5420 miles on it at that time. Now today, I took the car back to the service person as the car is making the same clicking noises and the steering column is making noise when I turn it to the right! I sent an email to Nissan today to inform them of these problems and also to let them know that the car was taken in again today for more problems that have arisen! thank you.

- White Plains, NY, USA

Mar 122014

Versa

Car tired keep deflating every 2-3 days. Three times stuck at different places unable to move my car, until my husband get there to inflate the tired. I have being told is the sensor valve for the tire which control the TPMS system. I call the dealer in laurel and they charge $265 for that, but many of the same car, had that problem and file a recall.this can cause an accident.

- Jessup, MD, USA

Apr 212014

Versa 4-cyl

On the 21st of April 2014 my wife left work. As she was reversing the car she heard a loud grinding noise and then a boom. The front right tire blew out. She found a large sheered off metal piece underneath the car. We took the car in the next day to a professional service. They found out that the spring was completely destroyed. The cost to fix everything including the tire was $720. The worse part is that they only had oem parts available. This means that they had to put the same defective springs back on our car. After I filed a report with Consumer Affairs Nissan contacted me back saying that they will not honor this defective part. We purchased our car in the summer of 2010. The spring lasted only four years. Had this been on the highway my family could have been seriously injured, especially during this recent winter. This is our only car and we have three children under three years old. No one should buy a Nissan Versa, period, if they care about the safety of their family.

- Mpls, MN, USA

Dec 152013

Versa 4-cyl

A lady (1) fall asleep then crash on lady (2), then lady (2) crash on our car, but instead of braking the lady (2) she pushes her accelerator crashes and pushes our car to lady (3) in front of us. Our tire explodes, the airbag passenger did not blow out and my wife has a neck injury. My daughter 4 Y/old is fine. We have a police report. The car declared total loss. Hospital bill for my wife and a lots of nightmare for my daughter and headaches for the husband.

- Montgomery Village, MD, USA

Dec 152013

Versa

Coil spring on passenger front side snapped and damaged the tire to bring a complete flat tire while driving.

- Wheeling, IL, USA

Nov 232013

Versa 4-cyl

My Nissan Versa's front left passenger tire was losing air every few days. When I took it to an auto shop nearby, they found that the aluminum valve stem has cracked and that's what is causing the leak. This faulty valve stem could have lead to tire failure and potentially serious accident. Please advise how to go about addressing this issue.

- Fairfax, VA, USA

May 022011

Versa 4-cyl

The tire pressure sensor system in the Nissan Versa appears to have a systemic fault of constant leaking. I live in Wisconsin (salt in winter) and I am now forced to replace the tire pressure sensor system for the second time at a cost of $180 per tire. It appears to wear out every 2 years, leading to leaking of the tire, causing an unsafe situation.

- Cudahy, WI, USA

Jun 282013

Versa 4-cyl

I backed up my car in the morning from parking lot, heard an unusual noise. Stopped the car and could not find anything wrong. As I started driving the car, even though the car was moving as usual a strange noise was coming from the front passenger side. Just before pulling to the nearest mechanic, smoke started coming from the car and soon the front passenger tire burst with a loud noise. Immediately pulled the car to the shoulder and found a broken coil spring fell on the road. The same issue happened to me couple of months back where the driver side (front) coil spring broke and popped out when the car was backed up in the parking lot (tire did not burst as I was already in a mechanic shop for an oil change). I think the Nissan Versa 2009 hb model coil spring has an issue specially when the vehicle is backed up( may be with the steering in a certain position). This is a life threatening issue if such things happen in a highway as the coil spring break followed by a tire burst can risk the lives of passengers.

- Guilderland, NY, USA

Mar 142013

Versa 4-cyl

Within days of buying the new car in 2009, I noticed a loud, clunking squeak and a pop from around my front wheels when I would make a turn after slowing down to a stop. This had been happening during the entire 3.5 years that I have had the car, so I figured it was normal and harmless because the car was already doing it brand new (right now there are still only 37,343 miles on the vehicle, I park it in my garage, and it has had no accidents.) however, last night, the sound seemed to be louder and looser near the front-right wheel. Then this morning I drove out of my neighborhood and as I began accelerating to 50 mph, a large piece of metal flew out violently from under my car. I was able to find it in the roadway, so I backed up and inspected the part. It is the bottom coil of the coil spring that is over the right-front wheel. Luckily it did not hit anybody behind me or cut my tire. The metal was not only broken, but the face of the break was already slightly rusted, as if it had been cracked for a while before snapping.

- Bellport, NY, USA

Jan 312013

Versa 4-cyl

Repeated flat tires due to air leaks which resulted in finally discovering the tire pressure monitoring valves on 3 of 4 tires were faulty. These valves were $150 each which is more than the tires cost! when took in for repairs, was told that the valves are made of metal which is prone to rust especially where they are located in the tire wells. Appears to be faulty engineering. Claim by repair personnel that a valve less likely to rust would be best but no valve available that will also meet Nissan requirements to provide tire sensor information back to the computer signal. Was told that if the sensors were not replaced could have unexpected flats or be dangerous to drive. I drive over 60 miles a day for work so safety is a concern. There needs to be an investigation about need for recall.

- Cary, NC, USA

Apr 062012

Versa 4-cyl

Valve stem in rear passenger tire failed resulting in slow leak. Required replacement of the valve stem including the tire pressure monitoring system device in wheel.

- East Greenville, PA, USA

Dec 012009

Versa

The contact owns a 2009 Nissan Versa. The contact stated that the vehicle was parked when she noticed that the front passenger tire was flat. The failure recurred repeatedly. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer and the contact was informed that the tire must have been leaking. The contact eventually replaced the tires and the failure persisted. The contact examined the vehicle herself and noticed that the monitoring valve for the tire pressure monitoring system was defective. The vehicle was not taken to be repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The contact also stated that the vehicle stalled while accelerating up hills and would occasionally roll backward. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer and the transmission was replaced. The failure mileage was 5,000.

- Lake Forest Park, WA, USA