2012 Nissan Versa brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Nissan Versa:

2012 Nissan Versa Owner Comments

Jan 312016

Versa

The contact owns a 2012 Nissan Versa. While driving 45 mph, the brake pedal was depressed and there was a delay in stopping the vehicle. As a result, the contact's vehicle crashed into the rear of another vehicle. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic. The vehicle was not repaired. A police report was filed. The contact sustained minor back pains and whiplash, which did not require medical attention. The vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign number: 15V507000 (service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control). The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 93,000.

- Cordova, TN, USA

Aug 012016

Versa

The contact owns a 2012 Nissan Versa. When the brake pedal was depressed, the brakes failed while the vehicle was in the park position. The failure recurred after attempting to drive the vehicle. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The VIN was included in NHTSA campaign number: 15V507000 (service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control). The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 12,753.

- Needle, CA, USA

Aug 222016

Versa

While traveling at highway speeds, I pressed on the brake pedal, and the brakes did not engage. Pedal to the floor- no brakes. After the initial "to the floor", I was able to pump the brakes to stop the vehicle. This is the second incident of brakes not engaging- the first happened at side-street speed, and I wrote it off as a fluke. Vehicle has an appointment with the dealership in two days.

- Blue Springs, MO, USA

May 222016

Versa

Something making noise in the steering wheel inside when making turns... and pass airbag sometimes off sometimes on when driving... and the last one the brake pedal is not smooth as other cars and also you can hear a crack on it when pressing on it.

- Lebanon, PA, USA

Nov 212015

Versa

The contact owned a 2012 Nissan Versa. While driving 35 mph, the contact was distracted and swerved to gain control of the vehicle. The brake pedal was applied but failed to stop the vehicle. The contact crashed into a telephone pole. The air bags deployed and the brakes and steering wheel locked up. A police report was filed. The contact sustained injuries to the chest and left arm, which required medical attention. The vehicle was destroyed and towed. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 67,000.

- Memphis, TN, USA

Nov 302015

Versa

Salesman/dealer did not disclose vehicle maintenance report when requested. Was told that the vehicle was not involved in any accidents. 1) vehicle rolls back after it is put in park. May have been associated with previous recall. 2) when putting car in gear, can feel tugging in the floor board of driver side. Called recall.gov and was told that there were 4 recalls on the vehicle in which 2 had already been performed. Called Nissan dealer and scheduled an appointment for service for 12/31 to rectify those issues.

- Apalachicola, FL, USA

Dec 282015

Versa

Brake pedal to floor no response on steep hill almost killed. Resorted to emergency brake. 180 half turn into opposite lane. Nearly hit wall but avoided going over cliff at end of hill.. happened three times pumped to get brake pressure subsetquently using low gear to get to a safe location. Brake fluid of dollar rent a car was in between full and minimum. Car has 23000 miles approximate. Incident resembles no other vehichile experience I have had. Master cylinders did not provide proper pressure. Used light braking and was on mountainous terrain. Recommend investigation. Deaths will ensue if not dealt with this obvious defect. Vehichle was in motion at 60kph downhill steep with sharp turns. Nissa vesa was sold as tiida liberia, costa rica dollar rental car fleet).

- Olympia, WA, USA

Jun 062015

Versa

The contact owns a 2012 Nissan Versa. While driving approximately 35 mph and attempting to slow down, the contact heard a grinding noise emerging from the rear wheel. The vehicle was driven to a dealer. The technician diagnosed that the brakes seized and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 49,000. The VIN was not avaialble.

- Greeley, CO, USA

May 082015

Versa

I purchased this car July 2014 with only 1,700 miles. Approximately 7 months into driving it, I've been experiencing a "click" sound when I brake, whether I go slow or fast and brake the click sound is there. Sometimes I get a double "click" sound before the car stops. I have two children so I hope nothing bad happens to us. I called the dealer and left messages but no one is getting back to me. I must bring this car in asap. I appreciate any input or call back from a representative at NHTSA.

- New York , NY, USA

Apr 032015

Versa 4-cyl

Was stopping for a red light when M foot got caught in the door trim by the brake pedal and the car started to accelerate and I almost run through the red light before I could get my foot out to brake.

- Beattyville, KY, USA

Mar 092015

Versa

The contact owns a 2012 Nissan Versa. While driving 40 mph, the brake pedal was depressed but the vehicle failed to stop. As a result, the contact crashed into the rear of another vehicle. The contact sustained chin and neck injuries that did not require medical attention. The front passenger sustained seat belt bruising and chest pain that did not require medical attention. A police report was filed. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 23,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Dec 232014

Versa

My brakes felt like they were slipping. I went to my mechanic who advised me that Nissan has had trouble with the master cylinder. He said my brake pads were fine. Now, I am unable to locate any documentation about this and am concerned that my dealer will try to make me pay for the necessary repairs.

- Rocky Face, GA, USA

May 292014

Versa

I was getting ready to back my Versa into a parking space. I had my foot on the brake when I shifted the car into reverse the car engine revved up, brakes failed, and the car flew backwards into a wall causing considerable damage to the back end of the car. This could have been deadly if I was backing out of the parking space and not into it. Once I hit the wall the brakes came back on. Since the dealer was unable to replicate the incident they said it never happened. They also told me that it was impossible for the brakes to fail as they are a cable system. I also contacted Nissan motor Corp directly and was told this was not a warranty issue and I would have to go through my insurance and pay the deductible. I had mentioned to the Nissan dealer previously that I thought the brakes were funny prior to this incident as they would routinely go to the floor if I was traveling at slow speeds. I was told this was normal operation.

- St. Petersburg, FL, USA

Jun 022014

Versa 4-cyl

4/5/14 car was purchased from a Toyota dealership with approximately 9,400 miles. 6/2/14 pressed on brake when approaching red light. Car did not stop. Slammed into another vehicle. Caused heavy damage, and the driver was hospitalized with injury. Airbags did not deploy. Car sustained more than $4,000 damage and was repaired by dealership. 6/27/14 damage repair completed and released to customer. 6/29/14 backed out of parking spot in a parking lot applying the brake. Car did not stop.

- Wilkes Barre, PA, USA

May 222014

Versa 4-cyl

I read that NHTSA is investigating the 2013 + 2014 Nissan Versa and Sentra. I have a 2012 and have been having brake issues too. My rear brake shoes needed replacement due to loud noises coming from my rear brakes. Sometimes my brake pedal does not go down properly. It is suppose to go down smoothly, but sometimes it doesn't normally go down like it is suppose to and it feels like something rubbing the brakes making it harder to press on the brakes. Also, this has happened to me once which has concerned me where I am stopped at a stoplight and my car will still inch forward even though my foot is pressing on the brakes. My Nissan dealer could not find any issues with anything, but due to the excessive noise from my rear brakes, they replaced the rear brake shoes.

- Washignton, NJ, USA

Oct 152012

Versa 4-cyl

On Oct. 15, 2012, I was exiting the highway and while applying the brakes, the pedal went to the floor, making a clicking noise, with very little force, the car barley stopped, only when assisted by the use of the parking brake. It was taken to the dealer that day and I was told they could not replicate the problem and all mechanical components were in good shape, and could not find the problem. The same circumstances have been repeated on Feb. 13 2012, with 19841 miles and again on Oct. 28 2013, with approximately 29000 miles. The dealer currently (Nov. 1 2013) has the car and again says they cannot locate or replicate the problem. I have contacted Nissan corporate, and was told to receive a second opinion. Another dealership service manager was contacted and stated there was a known problem with the ABS control module from another model, however the dealership will not replace it because(quoting from a service adviser) "Nissan isn't in the habit of throwing parts at a car and hoping for a resolution". the dealer has stated that without replicating the problem there is nothing they can do.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jul 182013

Versa 4-cyl

I put my car into reverse and was unable to depress the brake pedal and had to put the car in park to get it to stop while nearly hitting another vehicle. The low lights also have to available settings but one doesn't work so it stays the same no matter which one you put it on. Also why would I have an oil leak at 35,000 miles. My whole transmission apparently needed to be changed due to a broken or missing cap.

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Aug 252011

Versa

The contact owns a 2012 Nissan Versa. The contact stated that the vehicle RPM idles high but the vehicle hesitated when the accelerator pedal was engaged. The contact mentioned that the brakes made a grinding noise when the brake pedal was depressed. The vehicle was taken to the dealer several times who was unable to diagnose the cause of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 1 and the current mileage was 14,000.

- Denver , CO, USA

Jun 122012

Versa 4-cyl

I was given this car as a rental. I am an extremely safe driver with a perfect driving record. Within 7-8 minutes of driving this vehicle there was a crash! I drove in on the same busy street that the rental car was located and from the stop light the car switched into gear automatically and the brakes would not work. This cause caused me to hit a car from behind and since the brakes weren't working I hydroplaned into the back of another vehicle. Only one airbag was deployed, the one in the horn..not all six. I suffered a severe concussion and had to be hospitalized overnight. Luckily, the people in the other vehicles were fine. I am now under the care of a neurologist who is doing tests to help determine why I get frequent migraines and my short term memory is very limited as well as my balance. The Nissan Versa 2012 is not a safe car!

- Royal Oak, MI, USA