2012 Nissan Versa engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Nissan Versa:

2012 Nissan Versa Owner Comments

Dec 032015

Transmission recall but nothing sent to tell us telling us that there was a recall. We were told it is our responsibility to call them. While driving at 60 mph with children in the car the car just stopped going forward and started to coast to a stop. Luckily we were able to pull to the side of the road before being tail ended and possibly killed. After taking the car to the dealer we were told all was ok but when leaving it was apparent the problem still was there after we drove some distance. Took the car back in a couple days and then we were told it would cost 4200 to repair because it was not part of the recall and there were to many miles on the car. Traded the car in at an enterprise after telling them about our trouble; they looked up the VIN # and said it wasn't repaired as the recall required. Lost a substantial amount of money but was much more concerned with the potential for a deadly accident.

- Monaca, PA, USA

Feb 042015

Son involved in fatal car crash on 2/4/2015 in san bernardino, ca.vehicle was in motion on highway. See san bernardino sun news on 2/4/2015 on cajon blvd/hancock in san bernardino. Updated 05/06/16

- Grand Terrace, CA, USA

Nov 202015

The contact owns a 2012 Nissan Versa. While attempting to go uphill, the vehicle hesitated to accelerate. The vehicle was serviced under NHTSA campaign number: 15V507000 (service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control), but the remedy failed to repair the vehicle. The contact mentioned that the vehicle had issues accelerating in certain conditions. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 75,000.

- Graham, NC, USA

Oct 122015

The contact owns a 2012 Nissan Versa. The contact stated that the vehicle hesitated while on an incline and randomly while driving on a roadway. The contact also mentioned that the transmission was slow to change gears between first and third gears. The contact had to constantly check the gears to ensure they were changed over. The service engine warning light also randomly illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a repair shop and the mechanic stated that there was a cvt transmission failure advised the contact to take the vehicle to a dealer for diagnostic testing. The contact was also experiencing a failure in which the distance between the accelerator pedal and brake pedal was causing his foot to become trapped between the two pedals. The contact had to maneuver his feet with the pedals to prevent a failure. The contact was not notified, but the VIN was included in NHTSA campaign number: 15V507000 (service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control). The vehicle was taken to the dealer who stated that the transmission needed to be replaced. The dealer was to further diagnose the vehicle. The manufacturer was notified of the failures. The approximate failure mileage was 106,000. Updated 01/20/16

- Sauk Village, IL, USA

Jun 042015

Driving in san francisco in stop and go traffic the car will take a few seconds to accelerate when the gas is pressed-long enough to have people behind be honk-this has happened a few times.took the car in and was told the car starts in high gear. They tried to adjust the cvt a few times, but there is still an issue with the transmission.

- Cloverdale, CA, USA

Dec 082014

The contact owns a 2012 Nissan Versa. While driving approximately 40 mph and depressing the accelerator pedal, the vehicle shifted from drive to reverse. The failure recurred on multiple occasions. The vehicle was taken to a dealer who diagnosed that the transmission sensor failed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 76,000.

- Harrison Township, MI, USA

Dec 262014

While driving on the free way RPM began to rev extremely high about 5000, car began to jerk and lost speed while I was pressing on the gas. I had to immediately cross several lanes of heavy traffic to pull to a shoulder. This is continuing to happen and it has happened while driving in the fog where a sudden loss of power could have caused the semi truck behind me to collide with me.

- Fresno, CA, USA

Nov 282014

I purchased a 2012 Nissan Versa from a private owner for my grandson to drive at college. A week after the purchase, my grandson was driving on I95 at 55 mph and the engine started to slow down. He tried to accelerate, the car continued to slow down while making a horrible sound like it was stuck between gears. He coasted to the nearest exit, pulled onto the shoulder and turned the car off. He restarted the car and was able to make it home. I took the car to a Nissan dealer since it only had 18,000 miles and is under warranty. They were not able to duplicate the issue but did replace a "sensor". two weeks later it happened again and Nissan again replaced a "sensor". the third time, my grandson was driving to the poconos and just made it to the lodge before the car shutdown completely. We had the car towed to the nearest dealer where it sits today. Nissan is directing me to contact the district office. How many complaints do you need to get a recall" does someone need to die before Nissan does the right thing"

- Wilmington, DE, USA

Oct 222014

When pressing the accelerator, the right side of the shoe gets stuck under the hard plastic on the right of the accelerator, making it hard to remove your foot from the accelerator. I have changed shoes, and the same thing still happens.... updated 03/19/15 updated 6/18/2015

- Houston, TX, USA

Jun 062012

Versa 4-cyl

I have to hit the curb to stop car tire damge and under car to prevent hit a car.. I been notice that since ibougth my car, I report to Nissan they say is nothing wrong with my car.. sometimes I been driving and car accelarate by himself, also.. shoe stock in gaz pedal..very dangerous.. because cant brake.!!.

- Henderson , NV, USA

Apr 292014

The contact owns a 2012 Nissan Versa. The contact stated that while at a traffic light, the vehicle lurched forward without warning. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the failure was unable to be diagnosed. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure and current mileage was 35,000.

- Houtzdale, PA, USA

Apr 012014

If you are traveling on the highway at 60-70 mpr and the pedal half way down and you want to remove your foot to slow down the sole of your shoe will get caught on a sharp panel hidden behind the upholstery. This can happen depending on your footwear. I have driven many of these for arental company and they are all the same.I haven't had any accidents as I know what is happening. Iused Maine as you don't have Canada listed for an entry.

- Moncton Nb Canada, ME, USA

Dec 062013

The contact owns a 2012 Nissan Versa. The contact stated that while entering a parking space, the vehicle began to independently increase acceleration. The contact depressed the brake pedal continuously but the vehicle would not decelerate. The contact crashed into a nearby tree, and suffered bruising and severe bodily pain. The contact also experienced breathing difficulties. A police report was filed of the incident. The vehicle was destroyed and towed to the collision center. The manufacturer was not notified of the defect. The approximate failure mileage was 59,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- West Morland, CA, USA

Mar 012013

When driving down the highway, my Versa went into neutral but the shift still said D for drive, had no acceleration took to dealer and they passed it off as nothing because nothing read on the computer system and they basically said in a round about way I'm a woman are you sure you didn't bump it into neutral? then a month later had it back as it did the same thing but this time I was going 25 mph. Hooked it up to the computer again and there was nothing reading and reset the computer system. Happened again but was in our parking lot and just blew it off as the dealer would just tell me nothing was wrong. Just yesterday (6/29) as I was turning into the park I work at it slipped back into neutral, then all the electrical went out, no power steering, but the engine was still going, electrical came back on and then the car died as I was going about 20 mph and it quit all together on me shut down. Had to push it to a parking stall and call a tow to the dealer, once at the dealer they hooked it up to the computer and 3 errors for fuel system and 1 error for transmission came up. I'm just thankful that it didn't cause an accident when this has happened. I have it documented that it has been at the dealer now 3 times for this same issue.

- Oak Creek, WI, USA

Mar 122012

The contact owns a 2012 Nissan Versa. The contact stated that while driving 35 mph, her foot became caught in the plastic on the side of the accelerator pedal, causing the accelerator pedal to become stuck. The accelerator pedal was lodged under the plastic and vehicle accelerated uncontrollably. The contact was able to dislodge the pedal and resume driving as normal. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, who advised that they could not duplicate the failure and offered no further assistance. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 12,916.... updated 03/19/15

- Houston, TX, USA

May 012012

The vehicle seems to experience high frequency gas pedal vibration that is felt only between 2500 - 3000 RPM at any speed as long as in this RPM range the vibration can be also felt in the brake pedal without applying the brakes in the same RPM range since there is one bracket for accelerator and brake. No vibration during brake application. The dealer tested the car and stated that another new 2012 Versa has the same issue and will not continue to diagnose the problem since it is a waste of time. The problem causes uncomfortable pulsation that results loosing feeling in my foot at that engine speed. I had been an ase certified master technician and I never experience vibration in the gas pedal as an symptom in any of my complaints. After looking at the brake and gas pedal bracket it seems the bracket can flex to any sides with little effort but will stay stable in direction of the pedals travel. The bracket does not seem to be damage just poor design to hold rigidity to side motion. I am not sure if the bracket is causing the problem or other source is transmitting vibration. However, I think there should be no side motion since the assembly can fail due to material fatigue over time. Engine and transmission mounts had been checked by myself and the dealer.

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

Aug 292011

Versa 4-cyl

The Nissan dealers say that the change of speed in this car cannot be felt, and so does the tv commercial. It isn't true. It is a danger in the streets. Everytime I go to the expressway I have to make sure that there isn't a car any close to be able to enter because when you try to speed a bit, it restrain itself and I already got scared with this experience. Even when you are in the city and you try to speed a bit to change lane, you can feel that in most of the cases it won't let you do it inmediately. I don't know how this car have been approved with 5 stars by the american government as the dealers say. Besides, the driver's seat belt won't go all the way, and you can see that after few blocks driving, it loose a bit more. I bought this car for my teenage daughter, but I cannot put this danger in her hands. I hope I get advisors that help me to get my money back or to be able to change this car and not loosing 5000 as the Nissan proposed me. Unfortunately I cannot afford it anymore.

- Miami, FL, USA