1. new transmission (10 reports)
  3. replaced transmission with remanufactured transmission (6 reports)
2012 Nissan Versa transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Nissan Versa:

2012 Nissan Versa Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Nov 032015

I started noticing the car jerk a little and it would stop. So I thought nothing of it until I was driving and the car lost all ability to accelerate. Of I course I had my family in the car at the time and thank God I was not on a busy road at the time. However my wife took it out and it was driving fine she went to the doctor and on her way home the car completely stopped on a busy intersection which almost resulted in an accident. I spoke with Nissan who stated "because the car was significantly out of the Powertrain mileage they could not do anything. Now kind you the Powertrain warranty ended at 60k the car has 68k on it now. You tell me if that doesn't seem fishy.

- , Pickerington, OH, USA

Oct 012015

Versa S Sedan 4 Door 4 C, 1.6L

• CVT transmission

I bought a 2012 Nissan Versa in 2012 brand new. I bought this car because of Nissans reliability and the car got great gas mileage. I had regular maintenance and service, but not at the dealership. In late September 2015 when the car had about 70,000 miles on it it started randomly jerking when driving. I took it in to the dealership and they told me the transmission had went out and it would cost me $3,500 for a new transmission with a 1 year warranty. The Versa has a CVT transmission and they said the fluid should have been changed at 60,000 miles and probably got to hot and broke down. The warranty was for 5 years or 60,000 miles.

Here are my issues: I was never told when I purchased the car that the CVT transmission fluid needs changed every 60,000 miles. I was told after the transmission was ruined that it should be. I had the car in the dealership at 63,000 for a recall and no one mentioned it. I have driven for 25 years and never had to change transmission fluid in prior vehicles.

The car never had any kind of warning light to let me know there was a problem and I took it in almost immediately after this started happening.

I found out that the CVT transmission is a known issues and in 2010 they were covered by a 6 year 120,000 miles warranty meaning someone who has a car 2 years older than mine still has a warranty.

I drove this care every mile myself and I drove it like a 90 year old man.

In the end I had to spend $4,004 on a new transmission on a 3 year old car. I made 2 cases to Nissan and a regional manager called me and said there is nothing Nissan can do.

To me there is no logical explanation why the transmission went out, why there is no system that would let me know there is a problem before it is ruined, and why I was never informed that the fluid should be changed.

- , Topeka, KS, USA

Apr 162014

Versa SV 1.6L 109 Hp I4

• CVT transmission

I bought this 2012 Nissan Versa on October 31, 2012, after my 2005 Toyota Camry was destroyed by the floodwaters of Hurricane Sandy. The dealer was packed - people trying to get a new set of wheels after their cars were, to, destroyed by the Hurricane. You could here snippets of conversation left and right - " $289 a month? I'll take it! " , " Do you have any Rouges left ? ", " $20,000? Do you have anything cheaper? ". Once I was set up with the salesperson, I told him " Give me the most inexpensive car you have ". A few hours later, I drove away in a brand new $15,000 Versa. I wanted this car to last me a long time. But, just in case, I was saving up to buy a new car if anything happened to this one.

About 1 1/2 years later, I am in the breakdown lane of a highway on my way home from work, waiting for a tow truck to tow my car to the mechanic. I kept checking the mileage again and again. Only 12,000 miles. Surely there must have been a mistake - maybe the car had 120,000 miles on it instead of 12,000? But that was impossible. The mechanic told me the car suffered from transmission failure. I was stunned - 12,000 miles and transmission failure?!? I got Nissan to replace it. A few days later, however, I crashed into a tree and totaled the car. So, with the $22,000 I saved up, I bought a top of the line 2014 Toyota Corolla. This is my last Nissan.

- , Far Rockaway, NY, USA

Aug 292015

Versa CV 4cl

• CVT transmission

I bought my 2012 Nissan Versa and been paying extra to get it paid off. Now it has a recall on transmission to reprogram it. If that does not work I will have to get it replaced. I only owe $1000. I am so mad bought a new car because my last two used cars had transmission problem. I pray it can be fixed !!!!!!!

- , Manassas, USA

May 202015

Versa SL 4 cyl

• CVT transmission

Took Versa to Tempe Nissan and paid diagnostic fee. Service tech returns and tells me that the transmission is bad and needs to be replaced at cost of approximately $4,000. I asked if there was anything NSSN could do and if the vehicle was under warranty. Was told that vehicle was over standard power train warranty and there weren't any recalls for this particular issue. We already had the shifter recall completed. Dealer was not willing to provide any assistance.

Took car to non-dealer for replacement of trans which then eventually went bad as well. Now the vehicle is sitting at non-dealer shop waiting for another transmission. Still owe more than the vehicle is worth. So sad since I have been a loyal NSSN customer. Had a van, Sentra, hardbody, and quad cab. My 1995 hardbody is still running strong with 264,000 miles. They don't make them like they used to and am considering joining/starting class action lawsuit as NSSN is aware of the CVT failures yet they will not extend the power train warranty for the 2012.

I will not purchase another NSSN again. I have a 2011 Chevy Silverado that had a trans failure at 70,000 miles and the dealer rebuilt the trans at no cost, while giving me a 2015 quad cab to use during repairs, again all at no cost. Please email me at yahoo to join lawsuit.

- , Maricopa, AZ, USA

Sep 212015

• CVT transmission

My transmission went out of my NSSN Versa at 71,000 miles. The vehicle is only 3 years old!!!! I am 10,000 miles over the warrant. I filed a formal complaint with NSSN and after waiting 4 days was advised because I did not have the vehicle routine maintenance completed through the dealership they would not provide any assistance in replacing it. The transmission did not even require routine maintenance. Unsure how this is even relevant to their decision! I do have the oil changed regularly at a local servicing center. The closest Nissan dealership is 45 minute drive. I have never been so disappointed in a vehicle I have purchased before.

I will never purchase another Nissan in my life. I now have a 3 year old vehicle which I owe 3 more years on and owe around $6500 more than it is worth. What makes me more frustrated is reading all of the other similar complaints online regarding the CVT transmission in Nissan's with similar mileage.

- , New Castle, PA, USA

Jul 222015

Versa S 1.6L

• CVT transmission

2012 Nissan Versa S 1.6 - Complete Transmission failure at 67000 miles. Nearly got wiped out on the highway when the whole thing locked up and I could not go over 20 miles and hour. Complete joke. Cheaply made CVT transmissions. Nissan would not even work with us and just insisted that the Powertrain warranty ran out at 60,000 miles and it was our problem.

I will NEVER buy anything from this piece of crap company again. I don't know one manufacturer out there that has a Powertrain warranty less than 100,000 miles. Additionally, they had doubled all of the 2003-2010 models warranty to 10 years - 120,000 miles for the Powertrain which in so many words is saying they knew there is a problem. They claimed the issue that was causing the problems with the CVT transmissions was fixed on the models after 2010 but in looking around on the web, I still see way too many complaints about the same thing that happened to me. Cost $3400 to replace and the warranty for the new transmission is only 12 months or 12000 miles which shows how much they believe in their work.

I WILL NEVER PURCHASE A FOREIGN CAR AGAIN. Sadly, I should have known better and this whole experience proved this. This is the first and last time. Nissan should be under investigation for this garbage and could have at least worked with me on meeting me part way on the responsibility of this. They said that they had no proof I maintained the vehicle and even if I did it would not have mattered. I could provide them anything they needed for maintenance records but it was just brushed off.

- , Toronto, OH, USA

Sep 212015

Versa LS 1.6L

Fairly new car, not even finished paying for it and the transmission goes out.

- , Bakersfield, CA, USA

Jul 102015

Versa LS 1.8L

• CVT transmission

I have a 2012 Nissan Versa with only 38,500 miles on it. The other day as I was driving home the car stalled and then stopped on me. I tried to restart to no avail. I had car towed to Nissan dealership on Friday and now today is Tuesday and they say they still are unsure of what is wrong with the vehicle. They also said that it may be the transmission that has going out. Really at only 38,500 luckily I purchased the extended warranty on the vehicle, so if the transmission needs to be replaced it will cover it but rest assured once it fixed the car is going bye bye and I will never ever purchase another Nissan again.

Looking at all the complaints I am lucky I did purchase the warranty or I would have been screwed as Nissan is not doing anything to fix the transmission problems in these vehicles . I am not gong to complain about the service department as they are at least trying to get the bottom of the problem but as much money as I am payment for this vehicle I should not be having the problems with this vehicle this early.

- , Locust Grove, GA, USA

Aug 042015

Versa CV 2.0L

• CVT transmission

My Nissan Versa was barely 3 years old with a CVT transmission and I was left stranded in the middle of an intersection in Manhattan NY while on a short day trip from Buffalo. My daughter and I had to push the vehicle out of the intersection and payed a tow truck 2000.00 to get us home. After paying another 28$ to tow it to the west herr Nissan dealer in orchard park NY on Southwestern boulevard only to have a service advisor treat me completely rude and demeaning. Telling me first it would be only a sensor for 500$ but then after talking to a salesman at West Herr Toyota in Orchard park it was the complete transmission repair for 2400$. The CVT transmission is not able to be monitored or maintained by the owner since there is no way to check the fluid in it. There is no dipstick. For a company to sell a car that has a transmission that only lasts three years is thievery. From day one the car ran rough and the sales man just said that's how the car is. NEVER get a Nissan Versa ever.

- , Derby, NY, USA

May 122015

Versa SU 1.6L

2012 Nissan Versa... transmission is dead at 64k.. Cost $7000 to replace a new one at Dealership garage.

Pissed OFF!

- , Malverne, NY, USA

Apr 142015

In 2012 bought my daughter for college a new car that I thought was safe, but two days ago without warning it stopped in the middle of a busy highway and thank god no one was behind her. At only 63,000 miles a new transmission has to be put in at over 3 thousand dollars, which she cannot afford and still owes too much on the car to turn in, not too mention it's only 3 thousand over warranty and they will not do anything for her. So sad, and believe me I will never buy a Nissan again.

This could be a disaster on the open highway for anyone.

A concerned, upset mom

- , Walkersville, MD, USA

Mar 072015

Versa SL

• CVT transmission

My transmission went out at 76,736 miles. I had to pay $4,500 to have a "remastered" transmission with only a 12month/12,000 mile warranty. I will never, ever, ever, ever buy another Nissan. Lesson learned. My hope is that I can get this piece of crap paid off before it completely falls apart all around me.

- , Prosper, TX, USA

Apr 012015

Versa SV

• CVT transmission

Driving down the interstate, it was great. Once I drive it for an hour, and get off an exit, once I stop and try to accelerate again. It wouldn't go. No matter how much I pressed down on the pedal, the engine would never go. Finally after it "caught", the RPM's went very high. Maybe to 7000 or 8000. Then I let off of it and it jumps putting the car into "Limp mode". IT did this Approx..17 times. And the only way to fix it is to pull the car over and turn it off to reset the computer in the car. The last time it did it, it screwed it up. It didn't run right at all.

I scheduled it to be looked at at the Nissan dealership. They looked it over and ran the test and said that the transmission was about 5 miles from going out completely. Luckily it was under warranty. Another 8000 miles, I would have been SOL. This madness has got to stop. AWAY WITH CVT TRANSMISSIONS!!!!!!!!

- , Del Rio, TN, USA

Jan 012014

The transmission died at at 75,000 THEN.... 30,000 miles later died again. This car is only a couple of years old. I've had to have the transmission replaced twice. First time was on warranty. Second time, cost is $3500. I bought this car cheap, because I don't have a lot of money and having to put out $3500 is a real hardship.

DO NOT BUY THIS CAR EVER!!! I always loved Nissans and had many over the years with no problems. MY biggest fear is fixing this the 2nd time only to find it will break in another 30,000 miles.

Nissan - DO THE RIGHT THING!!! Stand by your loyal customers and help us fix these transmissions!!

- , Greeley, PA, USA

Jan 052015

• CVT transmission

The CVT failed at 67500 miles. Nissan is unwilling to provide any assistance since it is 7500 miles past warranty. Research shows this transmission has been problematic. Even the CEO acknowledged problems in December 2013 and transferred an executive to the transmission manufacturer (JATCO) which is partially owned by Nissan. The executive was to provide oversight to fix the problems.

The same transmission was installed in three Chrysler models. My company vehicle was a Jeep Patriot which is one of them and it has also had a transmission failure. Chrysler has stopped using this transmission.

We are still waiting for repairs as the dealer is having problems sourcing the new transmission!

My recommendation is to steer clear of all Nissan products and make sure any vehicle you purchase does not have a JATCO transmission.

- , Caledonia, MI, USA

Sep 292014

• CVT transmission

Various problems with seals, skipping and jumping BUT total failure right after the warranty expired!

- , Punta Gorda, FL, USA

Feb 242014

Versa SV

• CVT transmission

I have now had my car in two Nissan dealerships in the last two weeks for two different problems both related to the transmission with no help nor solution from Nissan. Now not only is my brand new car that I have only had for 14 months having issues it is extremely unsafe to drive.

Headed home from work I noticed the car was starting to do the same thing I had had the car in the shop 4 days ago. Every time I went around a round-about when accelerating out of the intersection the car was hesitating significantly to accelerate after I had had the gas pedal down for a while. Now fuming mad when I got home I did not turn the car off as I had at the dealership the last visit, I left it running while my husband and son got in the car and we headed back to town so I could show him what was occurring. Every single round-about I went thru I had the same issue.

This time we decided to go thru town and thru stop signs and lights to see what would happen. The first stop sign I came to, I stopped and than pushed the gas pedal down to go. The car would not move at all. I started to pump the gas pedal to get it to move and it would not move at all. I than held the gas pedal down to the floor. The car not only did not move but the RPMs did not go up at all. By this time another car had been waiting to go and a pedestrian. Both became inpatient of my vehicle not going so they both crossed right in front of my vehicle while the gas pedal was pushed all the way to the floor. Surely now you can see how dangerous this situation was. My husband and I switched driver's seats and he tried several things none of which worked until he turned the car off and than back on. The car finally moved but we had to literally run every stop sign and stop light on the way home to keep it from doing it again. I ended up needing to make a left turn on a bridge to get on an on ramp to go home. I would normally have slowed down and than proceeded since the oncoming traffic was a mile away but I knew if I did the car would hesitate again when I started to accelerate. So I stopped on the bridge and again the car would not move until after a couple of minutes and than the car started to slowly accelerate and move.

I took the car to the dealership again. This time when my husband got it there he did not turn the engine off and got the technician in the vehicle drove around town to show him what was the issue. They had the car for a week. They changed the throttle positioning sensor and that did not work. So they than replaced the throttle body on the car and said that fixed the issue, the car was test drove for over 50 miles and was the best test drive they had ever had with this vehicle. We picked up the car that day, the very minute we drove it off the lot we could tell the initial issue with the car was not fixed. But the stop and not accelerating issue was not apparent. We drove the car around the city for fours hours that day to different dealerships to get a different car. We than drove on to a Toyota lot and the car would not accelerate at all again. Four hours and the car was doing the exact same things we had just been told that morning had been fixed.

We took the car back to the Nissan dealership, picked up the exact same loaner car we had just dropped off that day and cleaned all out belongings out of our Versa put them in the loaner and drove over to Mazda who still let us trade the car in even though it was sitting in the shop across town. We found out a week later that Nissan ended up putting a brand new transmission in our car. The tech told us that after they got the transmission out of that car it was in bad shape and not going to last us much longer. A transmission, we that only had 42000 miles on it and was only 14 months old. The transmission only had a little over 100 miles on it when we had bought it.

Not only was this issue extremely inconvenient, the customer service we received from Nissan was almost non existent, but the thing that is the most frustrating was Nissan's absolute disregard for the safety of my family and those on the road that we passed everyday in the death trap they had sold me a little over a year ago.

- , Warrensburg, MO, USA

Jun 272014

Versa SL 1.6L

• CVT transmission

The cvt transmission started acting up around 30k miles when the torque convertor was engaged while I put it in drive and the car jumped and died. After that, mileage went down. At 68k miles an engine code (P0740) came on for the torque convertor, my mileage went down to 30mpg and it had no power. Often running at 3500 rpms to drive 70mph. It is in the dealer shop still. Probably a transmission replacement will occur.

Update from Jul 16, 2014: The transmission was replaced a couple days ago with a remanufactured transmission. The car seems to be back to normal. They gave me no information about what caused the failure. Said they did not know.

- , Rolla, MO, USA