8.7

1. new transmission (3 reports)
  3. replaced transmission with remanufactured transmission (1 reports)
2012 Nissan Versa transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Nissan Versa:

2012 Nissan Versa Owner Comments

Feb 242014

Versa SV

• CVT transmission

I have now had my car in two Nissan dealerships in the last two weeks for two different problems both related to the transmission with no help nor solution from Nissan. Now not only is my brand new car that I have only had for 14 months having issues it is extremely unsafe to drive.

Headed home from work I noticed the car was starting to do the same thing I had had the car in the shop 4 days ago. Every time I went around a round-about when accelerating out of the intersection the car was hesitating significantly to accelerate after I had had the gas pedal down for a while. Now fuming mad when I got home I did not turn the car off as I had at the dealership the last visit, I left it running while my husband and son got in the car and we headed back to town so I could show him what was occurring. Every single round-about I went thru I had the same issue.

This time we decided to go thru town and thru stop signs and lights to see what would happen. The first stop sign I came to, I stopped and than pushed the gas pedal down to go. The car would not move at all. I started to pump the gas pedal to get it to move and it would not move at all. I than held the gas pedal down to the floor. The car not only did not move but the RPMs did not go up at all. By this time another car had been waiting to go and a pedestrian. Both became inpatient of my vehicle not going so they both crossed right in front of my vehicle while the gas pedal was pushed all the way to the floor. Surely now you can see how dangerous this situation was. My husband and I switched driver's seats and he tried several things none of which worked until he turned the car off and than back on. The car finally moved but we had to literally run every stop sign and stop light on the way home to keep it from doing it again. I ended up needing to make a left turn on a bridge to get on an on ramp to go home. I would normally have slowed down and than proceeded since the oncoming traffic was a mile away but I knew if I did the car would hesitate again when I started to accelerate. So I stopped on the bridge and again the car would not move until after a couple of minutes and than the car started to slowly accelerate and move.

I took the car to the dealership again. This time when my husband got it there he did not turn the engine off and got the technician in the vehicle drove around town to show him what was the issue. They had the car for a week. They changed the throttle positioning sensor and that did not work. So they than replaced the throttle body on the car and said that fixed the issue, the car was test drove for over 50 miles and was the best test drive they had ever had with this vehicle. We picked up the car that day, the very minute we drove it off the lot we could tell the initial issue with the car was not fixed. But the stop and not accelerating issue was not apparent. We drove the car around the city for fours hours that day to different dealerships to get a different car. We than drove on to a Toyota lot and the car would not accelerate at all again. Four hours and the car was doing the exact same things we had just been told that morning had been fixed.

We took the car back to the Nissan dealership, picked up the exact same loaner car we had just dropped off that day and cleaned all out belongings out of our Versa put them in the loaner and drove over to Mazda who still let us trade the car in even though it was sitting in the shop across town. We found out a week later that Nissan ended up putting a brand new transmission in our car. The tech told us that after they got the transmission out of that car it was in bad shape and not going to last us much longer. A transmission, we that only had 42000 miles on it and was only 14 months old. The transmission only had a little over 100 miles on it when we had bought it.

Not only was this issue extremely inconvenient, the customer service we received from Nissan was almost non existent, but the thing that is the most frustrating was Nissan's absolute disregard for the safety of my family and those on the road that we passed everyday in the death trap they had sold me a little over a year ago.

- , Warrensburg, MO, USA

Jun 272014

Versa SL 1.6L

• CVT transmission

The cvt transmission started acting up around 30k miles when the torque convertor was engaged while I put it in drive and the car jumped and died. After that, mileage went down. At 68k miles an engine code (P0740) came on for the torque convertor, my mileage went down to 30mpg and it had no power. Often running at 3500 rpms to drive 70mph. It is in the dealer shop still. Probably a transmission replacement will occur.

Update from Jul 16, 2014: The transmission was replaced a couple days ago with a remanufactured transmission. The car seems to be back to normal. They gave me no information about what caused the failure. Said they did not know.

- , Rolla, MO, USA

Jun 272014

Versa SL 1.6L

- , Rolla, MO, USA

Feb 102014

Versa SV

• CVT transmission

2 months ago I noticed a squeeking everytime i accelerated. Than 2 weeks ago my car started jerking everytime it acclerated to go up and hill or pass another car on the highway. The jerking starts when i am going over 50 miles per hour. I took it to the dealearship where they also observed the jerking but could not hear the squeeking?? I was informed they had two master technichians for Nissan look at it neither knew how to fix it and they contacted Nissan about the issue. Nissan informed the techs that this was normall operations for this vehicle. The mechaninc went on to inform me they had to similar issues with two other customers. One they replaced the transmission and the other they did not. Both individuals still have the same problem today. I asked him what I should do and he had no adivse for me. He told me personally he did not think it was normal for my car to do that otherwise it would have done it the first 40000 miles I drove it and if it was his vehicle he would have an issue with it doing this as well. I picked my vehicle up and demanded to have it in writting that: the issue i described they observed, and that Nissan told them it was normal. I am not sure what to do now. I can keep driving and wait for it to leave me starnded one day or contact a lawyer to seek out my options.

- , Warrensburg, MO, USA

Feb 012013

Versa SL

• CVT transmission

I have had many issues with this car. Too many to list. Worst and most recent the transmission had to be replaced. I bought this car new only 7 months ago. The transmission has been replaced although many other issues persist. Its been to the service department 6 times already.

- , Chalmette, LA, USA

Nov 052012

Versa

• CVT transmission

My 9 month old car left me stranded on the side of the highway. Now I am waiting at least a month for the new transmission to come from Japan. I'm really disgusted that the transmission would fail on a brand new car.

- , Bellingham, MA, USA