9.2

$3,805.00

1. new transmission (28 reports)
  2. replaced transmission with remanufactured transmission (12 reports)
  4. junked the car (1 reports)
2012 Nissan Versa transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Nissan Versa:

2012 Nissan Versa Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Apr 272017

• CVT transmission

After being stuck in traffic because our freeway was closed due to a major accident, I finally took my exit and all of a sudden my car would not accelerate even after i pressed all the way down on the gas. I took it to my mechanic today only to find out that the transmission needed to be replaced completely. I tried looking at the warranty but it is only covered 5 years or 60,000 miles. I has been barely 5 years since the vehicle was purchased but i have 103000 miles on it so it is not covered.

Previously Nissan extended their CVT warranty for vehicles up to the year 2010/ I am unable to pay the $4000 repair to get the transmission repaired and driving is an essential part of my job. I don't understand why my vehicle does not have that extended warranty when there are so many consumers facing the same problem with this CVT Transmission.

I am very disappointed and now have to figure out how to get to work, which is an hour away from my house. Nissan needs to take responsibility for all the problems that these CVT transmissions have and extend the warranty for the newer models that have this, because obviously the CVT system has not been improved. So many consumers are facing the same problems with the newer models.

- , Mesa, AZ, US

Mar 092017

• CVT transmission

replaced cvt at 48k under recall after $400 tow!!!, second cvt out at 70k (exactly one year later). My dealership was kind enough to push the issue and get authorization to replace again but my 2015 versa already had the cvt replaced and I wonder if I will go through this a year from now on that one.

- , Austin, US

Mar 152017

• CVT transmission

It lost power or something, I had it in cruise and it started jerking and the tack was rising to about 700, it almost jerked forward into another car, I pulled into a walmart parking and called a garage, I was told it would take about a week to get done, and would cost over 3,000 dollars. Thank God for the extended warranty. I was told by two garages that Nissan versa transmission were really bad. I am very upset about this.

- , Ozark, MO, US

Oct 152013

Versa SV 1.6L

• CVT transmission

Nissan replaced the CVT Transmission the 1st under a extended warranty. It stared having trouble again at 120,000. My extended warranty ran out at 120,000. I took it to the Dealer twice and they could not duplicate the slipping. At 120,600, it went out.

I have lost 2 transmissions in 2 years and a starter.

- , Houston, TX, USA

Nov 162015

Versa 1.6L

• CVT transmission

On 11/16/2015 I took my wonderful Nissan Versa back into the shop and had my transmission replaced for a 2nd time! Mind you, the car was now 3 years old! And it was having the transmission replaced AGAIN! The guys in the repair department even told me that CVT transmissions do NOT hold up well in extreme weather conditions such as heat or snow. Then why the hell is Nissan still producing cars with CVT transmissions!? And I had to spend another $50 for a loaner car while the vehicle was getting repaired.

- , Henderson, NV, USA

Jul 242014

Versa 1.6L

• CVT transmission

I was driving to work (I worked on the Las Vegas Strip) when my car suddenly had no power what so ever. As I was turning off of Tropicana onto Las Vegas Blvd. my car died! It just stopped! Thankfully I did not get hit and the car started up right away. I made it to work safely but I knew there was something really wrong with my car. I took it into Nissan right away and they replaced the ENTIRE transmission! I had only had the car for barely a year! The car was 2 years old! A car that new should not have ever of needed the transmission replaced! Thankfully it was under warranty but still! I purchased a Nissan because everyone raved about how great they are. Oh and not to mention I had to shell out $50 for a loaner vehicle while the car was getting fixed.

- , Henderson, NV, USA

Nov 222016

• CVT transmission

I bought this from a Nissan (Corona) dealership 4 months ago! Fortunately I bought an extended warranty and was replaced free of charge...12,000 MILE WARRANTY!!! WHAT???after that, the guy smugly says it will last longer the better you drive it, I drive like an old man, not helpful. How many miles will this "new" transmission last?

- , Walnut, CA, USA

Sep 292016

Versa SV 1.6L 4c

• CVT transmission

Still trying to find a solution that won't bankrupt us. A trans in a well-maintained car should not be completely unfixable (can't even be rebuilt) at 75,000 miles! This is a problem with CVT that Nissan is aware of; so many 2010 and older models had it that the warranty was extended to 120,000 miles. Apparently, instead of fixing the problem, they "fixed" the warranty. It is now 75,000 miles. GRRRR

- , Chicago, IL, USA

Jul 122016

Versa EX

• CVT transmission

Tried every avenue to get help from Nissan through dealers and factory rep. Nobody was interested.

All said it was a bad transmission design and could not be fixed under any circumstances. Had to be replaced. Checked this out with several transmission shops and they said the same. Nissan had made it impossible to get parts for this transmission and shops would not guarantee it even if they could get parts because it is such a faulty design. Had to dump the car for $1500.00 and was only able to get that because we had kept it in immaculate condition inside and out. NEVER buy a Nissan with this transmission !!!!!

- , Tallahassee, FL, USA

Sep 272016

Versa SL V4

2012 Nissan Versa with just over 71,000 miles. Took it to a local shop and they said the transmission is done, suggested we take to the Nissan Dealer and hope that they will step up and replace it under powertrain warranty. Local dealer charged 0 dollars to analyze and realize the transmission is no good. We took it to San Juan Capistrano Nissan dealer and they said they will look at the car for $159 fee. Dealer also said that Nissan extended some 2012 Versa models to 100K powertrain warranty. He checked our VIN and said our Versa was only covered up to 60,000 miles. We are awaiting word back from Nissan on whether they will cover the cost. What a sham that Nissan has had so many transmission failures between 61,000-80,000 miles.

I will never by a Nissan again and will tell everyone I know about this issue and how Nissan DID NOT back their product.

- , Sa, CA, USA

Aug 012016

Versa S 1.6L

• CVT transmission

2012 NISSAN VERSA SEDAN CVT TRANSMISSION FAILED AT 63K MILES RIGHT AFTER WARRANTY WAS UP AND NISSAN REFUSED TO DO ANYTHING. NTSB SHOULD BAR NISSAN FROM DOING BUISNESS IN THIS COUNTRY IF THEY ARE SELLING UNSAFE CARS WITH KNOWN PROBLEM AND NOT STANDING BEHIND THEM NISSAN SUCKS !!!!

- , New Milford, CT, US

Aug 052016

Versa SV 1.8L

I bought the car for $8K last year used from a dealer. The car started having problems shifting gears last Friday at 64K miles, 4K miles out from the power train warranty. (From the complaints, it sounds like there's a time bomb in the transmission that explodes after 60K miles) The check engine just went on today. Since the repair of $3.8K will cost more than the value of the car, I'm going to junk it and try to get as much money back on the $8K that I paid. I will take precautions the next time I buy a used car by checking this site more often and thoroughly.

- , North Andover, MA, USA

Jun 102016

• CVT transmission

I can't believe that a car that is not even 4 years old has a transmission failure! Now that I have done some online research, I am seeing that this is a rather common event for the 2012 Nissan Versa. So why is Nissan not stepping up to the plate and doing something about this? I purposely bought a newer car so that I would not have to deal with issues like this. I have been without a car for over two weeks and it appears that I will be waiting another week for the replacement to be done. Yeah, I am really disappointed with this car and will be trading it off ASAP!

- , Scenery Hill, PA, USA

Dec 022015

• CVT transmission

we bought the car in October and was told that there was a 'new transmission' that had been installed the prior year, in 2014. We didn't realize it was a refurbished transmission. However, the car was only 2 years old when the transmission failed the first time. The second time it was a few months past the 12 month warrant on the 2d transmission, so it wasn't under the warranty. Transmissions should not be failing this quickly in a car that was, at the time, only 3 years old. It is a manufacturer's defect and someone should do a class action lawsuit!

- , ventura, CA, USA

Apr 242015

Versa SV 1.6L I4

We started to notice some problems with the transmission in our 2012 Nissan Versa shortly after we bought the Versa with 19k miles on it already. A year after owning it the problems got worse. The engine kicked when you go from coasting or a stop and press down on the accelerator. It started happening more and more often and since my wife and I both used the car for commuting we were both noticing it quite a bit.

Eventually after noticing the kicking we started noticing other symptoms. The engine would stay in low gear while accelerating on an on ramp onto the highway or after accelerating through an intersection after a green light. While on the highway sometimes it would switch down to a lower gear while coasting and we couldn't get to kick back up, which would cause the tachometer to go crazy and the engine would whine. Finally on a trip from Portland to Vancouver, WA and back we had enough when the engine wouldn't shift past the lower gears (automatic) and we were forced to make the entire trip under 50 mph with the engine whining the whole way.

When we took it into the dealership they were very good about identifying that the issue was with the transmission (even though we had taken it in a couple months prior and they said there was nothing wrong). They replaced the transmission at no cost to us including labor, they also identified a problem with one of the bearings and replaced that as well. Overall our experience with the dealership was great, they fixed both problems expeditiously and at no cost to us, with a rental car provided during the repairs. Personally I don't feel like a transmission should be failing with less than 40k miles on it, but since they replaced it for free I didn't raise too much of a stink.

This all happened almost exactly a year ago, but recently (within the last two months) we've started noticing the same kicking and the initial problems we were having are cropping up. We've taken it in twice and both times the dealership has said there's nothing wrong (and after the second visit the stabilization (slip) light continues to come on and stay on randomly on the dashboard). My fear is they are going to wait until we get past the 60k basic warranty before they "identify" another issue with the transmission so we will have to pay out of warranty for the fix.

At this point it's a race against the clock to see if the transmission will fail again before we get through the next 10k miles since we're currently at 49k miles edging every closer to 50k. I would never buy another Versa because of the transmission issues we've had with this one and from the fact that we're not alone. Our other vehicle is a 2011 Nissan Leaf and that car has been perfect since we bought it, so it's not Nissans in general that I'm unhappy with, it's just the Versa.

- , Aloha, OR, USA

Mar 182016

Versa SL V6

• CVT transmission

I drive all over S. Calif. to patients homes. I need a dependable car. Bought 2012 Nissan Versa in 2014 with 30,000 miles on it. 2016-108,000 miles. 8,000 miles outside of warranty, car refuses to move forward. It is against the law to drive a car in reverse but that is the only way the car will move. It will cost $4,500 to replace with no guarantee it will go much further before that one refuses to move forward. I still owe a great amount.

Nissan would not even do a "goodwill gesture" to replace it. I had taken the car back to the dealer several times after purchase complaining about "jerking" up the street instead of the smooth transition that I was told CVT's provide. They kept saying, "All is fine. No problems. We can't find anything wrong." Well guess what Nissan-you don't have to pay for it & be without a car.

I hope you all sleep in peace with dreams of Nissan CVT breaking down on you throughout the night in your corrupt dreams. All you care about is $$$. Along with all others, I would never recommend a Nissan car of any kind. You can keep your piece of junk metal and downshift into the belly of your consciousness if you can find peace. I also had to take the car back, after it had been certified-pre-owned, to have the brakes replaced. A few weeks later, the Master Cylinder had to be replaced in 2014 and just a few months ago, the Master Cylinder had to be, once again, replaced.

One Nissan dealer did a poor job of replacing in 2014 that another dealer could not tell if it was a new issue or the remains of the prior job done poorly by the prior dealer. Great job, Nissan. Just before 100,000 mile, the Fuel Injection system had to be replaced. Thankfully under warranty. Another, Great job, Nissan. Keep up the poor work and hopefully you will meet up with a CVT on your way to work. I ended up buying a Toyota Prius Hybrid. WHOLE LOT BETTER THAN Nissan Versa.

- , San Bernardino, CA, USA

Apr 192016

Versa

My check engine light came on.... The code came up as a transmission pressure issue.... Brought it into the dealership I bought it from and found out that the transmission needs to be replaced! The car only has 63,000 miles (3,000 miles after my extended warranty expired)!!! Gave me a quote of over $3500 to repair! This car is a total piece of crap! Do not buy one! Everything about it is cheap and the safety ratings are terrible. Now just fighting with the warranty company. Hoping they honor the lifetime powertrain warranty. Don't buy this car! Spend a little more and get a Toyota or a Honda! I will never buy a Nissan again after reading how many other people have had this same issue. Hopefully there will be a class action lawsuit for this faulty transmission.

- , Minneapolis, MN, USA

Feb 242016

• CVT transmission

I am a college student paying for my own school, car, etc... I saved up literally my entire life and a year and a half ago I bought a 2012 Nissan Versa used. Up until a little over a month ago, it's been great! I had no issues and I even convinced my sister to buy a 2013 Versa.

A little over a month ago, it started stalling and would rev up randomly while I was driving down the highway or would refuse to go after I had stopped at an intersection. Finally, I took it into a local shop I use and it stopped in the middle of an intersection and wouldn't restart at all. It had to be pushed the rest of the way to the shop.

They said that the transmission had completely failed and this was a problem they see a lot with Nissans because of recalls that have been put out on CVT transmissions. I had never been notified of any recalls or any problems with this car. We had it towed to the Nissan dealership and when I first got it there, the dealership said it should be completely covered because there was a recall. Now, a MONTH later, I am still without a car.

The first two weeks it was at the dealership, they didn't even have it tagged in their system; nobody had even looked at it. Then the dealership says it's going to cost around $5,000 to fix because I need a completely new transmission and it's 2,000 miles out of warranty. So, we take this up with Nissan's consumer affairs and after complaining for a while they agree to pay for the parts but are still making me pay over $1,000 for labor, which would cost $600 anywhere else. $1,000 is the equivalent of 2 months of school payments for me! And they are refusing to say that the recalls, both on the CVT software and the shifter, had anything to do with the transmission failing!

I am so amazed and I don't know what else to do. I've had the case reopened twice with Nissan's consumer affairs and they won't budge. I can't afford to pay this much money but I've been without a car for over a month now and am losing hope. If anyone knows an attorney to call or anyway to fix this, please let me know!

- , Daytona Beach, FL, USA

Mar 032016

Versa SV V6

I bought my car about 3 years ago used. I have almost $9000 left to pay on this car. I am driving to get my girls from school and the car shutters and shuts off. I am in the middle of the road and almost get hit by a large SUV. I restart the car to find out it won't work in drive but will work in reverse. I have to drive in reverse through the neighborhood back to my house.

After lots of calls I find out that this problem could have been caused by the CVT program recall. That if you don't get it fixed soon enough it can cause the mechanism to go bad but Nissan wont fix it. Then I read all the transmission problems other people have had are just like mine. I will never own another Nissan again. This is a safety issue and Nissan needs to have a recall on all their cars.

- , Greensboro, NC, USA

Feb 142016

Versa Sedan 1.6sv

• CVT transmission

the last week has been hell on earth. I learned of a recall notice that went out in August 2015-concerning the CVT. The dealership is claiming, the recall has nothing to do with the failure. I owe 9550 on the car, the price to fix is 3700. I am renting a car right now costing me more. I was at a red light, when I entered the intersection to turn left I got to the middle of the road and the car did not go anymore. lucky it was 8am on a sunday morning, no one was around. I was able to put in reverse to back it in a parking lot. I am 61 year old woman, with no resources. I have talked to Nissan consumer affairs and they ruled against me. I am really speechless at this point. weak from fighting with them. please no one buy a NISSAN! if nyone has any suggestions please feel free to answer me

- , Hillsborough, NJ, USA