2001 Pontiac Bonneville windows / windshield problems: power windows drop and stop working

Power Windows Drop And Stop Working

2001 Pontiac Bonneville (Page 1 of 2)

CarComplaints.com Seal Of This Might Hurt

7.4

2. replace whole unit and motor (10 reports)
  3. get rid of my Pontiac (4 reports)
  4. had the unit repaired - plastic gear had given out (3 reports)
2001 Pontiac Bonneville windows / windshield problems

windows / windshield problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Pontiac Bonneville:

2001 Pontiac Bonneville Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

May 012010

Bonneville SSEi V6

Had to replace 3 of the 4 power window and motor assemblies.

- , Conway, SC, USA

Sep 212012

Bonneville SLE 3.8L V6

No wonder GM was going under a few years ago. Plastic gears running a metal cord for car windows (an always-frequently-used-throughout-automotive-history item)? I have two other (older) complaints to post about this car (2 transmissions plus an intake manifold replacement). Funny thing, I did my research before buying a Bonneville. The biggest complaint was the cup holders (or lack thereof!). (True). I know they want consumers to buy new, but I will never.

- , Lansing, MI, USA

Oct 312007

Bonneville SLE 3.8L V6

OK.... about the windows.... GM... pontiac... decided to make a window unit with plastic stops... with metal stranded wire..MOVING THRU BOTH THE UP AND DOWNWARD POSITIONS .... AND...... A SMALL METAL STOPPER ATTACHED TO THE WIRE... NOT MUCH BIGGER THAN THE PLASTIC STOP. WHAT ASSHOLE WOULD DESIGN SUCH A SYSTEM??....TO BEAT THE BAND!!. THEY DECIDE TO ADD A PLASTIC SPOOL... WHICH WOULD WIND THIS WIRE.. LORD HELP US.. I pulled this window regulator assembly out and seen it first hand... UNREAL!!... went to pontiac part dealer they wanted $300 for the new regulator... a bunch of garbage... i did talk him down to $200.. LO AND BEHOLD THEY CHANGED THE DESIGN.... THEY KNEW OF THE FLAW... NO RECALLS... the newer regulator had a BUTTON sized stop attached to the wire that would not get jammed inside unlike the small metal crimp slightly larger than the wire it was attached to... UNREAL!!.... again no recall... BULLSHIT!!! ... A SMALL METAL CRIMP WILL PULL THRU A SMALL PLASTIC HOLE.. AND A PLASTIC SPOOL WONT WIND METAL WIRE WITHOUT THE WIRE STRIPPING THE SPOOL.... THE DEALERSHIP PARTS MAN TOLD ME THE REASON THE WINDOW FAILED WAS BECAUSE IT WAS RARELY USED ... WHAT A BUNCH OF BULLSHIT!!!... later i found e-bay was selling window regulators for $51.. not sure if they were old design or not... i WAS ALREADY PISSED OFF!!!..AND HAD REPLACED THE UNIT... well good luck good people keep the post going,... be strong.. DON'T GIVE UP!!...

- , Cranberry Twp, PA, USA

Jul 092010

Bonneville SLE

While driving, my brother in law put down his window and it would not go back up. This was in the the summer. I had it fixed and the same problem happened with another window only a few months later. I have not yet fixed this as the first was so damn expensive. I have taped up the window but it leaks when it rains, the windows always fog, it's cold during the winter, and I'm afraid to park my car anywhere because it would be so easy to break into. I have had to lock all the windows and not allow anyone to put them down for fear of another one breaking. This is a bitch to deal with and I'd love to smash the windows of whoever decided this was not worth fixing and see how they like not having a window.

- , Stamford, CT, USA

Jul 072010

Bonneville ES 3.2L V6

RIGHT NOW I AM SO UP SET. LAST WEEK MY REAR WINDOW WENT DOWN AND NOW IT WON'T COME UP. IS THIS A COMMON THING. WHEN WILL THEY DO A RECALL. MY CAR IS WILL TAKEN CARE, ONE DRIVER(mE). DRIVE LIKE A DREAM, THE WINDOW STOP WORKING. I GUESS WHAT I NEED TO KNOW IS WHAT WILL IT COST AND WHERE CAN I GET THE INFORMATION ON HOW TO REPAIR IT.

- , West Jefferson, OH, USA

Sep 052009

Bonneville SE 3.8L V6

This car when new was wonderful. Have always had GMs, Nova, Malibu, Impala. When we drove the Bonny, loved it. It handled like a cat, was smooth, quiet. At almost 100K, its still a smooth, fun car to drive, BUT the windows, I've had two fixed, yes both rear. Also the intake manifold gasket problem at 72000 miles too. Other than that, its been a superb vehicle. Still love it, but it hasn't been the ultra reliable GM. Despite the windows, I'd buy another Bonneville if she was still being produced.

- , Preston, CT, USA

Sep 012009

Bonneville LE V6

I THINK, SINCE IT IS OBVIOUS THAT MOST 2001 PONTIAC BONNEVILLE'S WINDOWS SUCK, THAT GM SHOULD DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT. THE CAR IS A NICE CAR BUT THE WINDOW SITUATION MAKES ME WANT TO GET RID OF IT....... ITS TOO OLD TO PUT 1000 $ IN THIS CAR.

- , Davenport, IA, USA

Jan 012006

Bonneville SE 3.8L V6

Both rear windows dropped like everyone else on here. Called the dealership, and they wanted 400 plus a motor/rotor. I got some off a auto parts store, not factory, but they seem to be better than factory ones because my windows are still up. I replaced them myself, so saved the money on labor. When I got into the door, I realized the window motors had been replaced before. Piece of crap parts. I keep them locked so they will last hopefully, passengers don't like it but it costs a fortune. Also my passenger side front window imploded while I was driving, very strange. My drivers side front window makes a weird noise when it goes up and down, I'm sure we all have the same problems.

- , Chico, CA, USA

Dec 172008

Bonneville SE 3.6L V6

Don't really want to replace the motor, so I will probably just trade it in on another vehicle- temporarily fixed with some shims.

- , St. Michael, MN, USA

Jun 052006

Bonneville 3.8L

That was the first window to stop working. Today the passenger window stopped working. down of course and it is 13 degrees. My 93 bonneville has 370,000 miles and everything still works. Had the trans changed at 220,000 and had no problems since. It still has the original head lights. Why can't they build them like that anymore. I am looking at fords now and I have always been a GM person.

- , Moses Lake, WA, USA

Jun 022007

Bonneville SE 3.8L V6

The back left window dropped down right at the hottest part of the summer. I had a temporary fix with a wedge of wood. The regulator broke on 3 windows and the motor stopped working on driver window. But this summer Aug 2008 I had to have electrical work done to fix the computer because I couldn't work any of the windows from the panel even with replacement regulators and motor. I love the power and ride of my car but all of these inconveniences makes it hard to stomach because GM knows that there are problems in 2001 model and that's why they stopped making them.

- , Virgina Beach, VA, USA

Jul 312007

Bonneville

at one time 3 of the windows didn't work. then within 4 months the back two fell and wouldn't go up. i randomly got pulled over and had to open the door so i could talk to the officer. so i decided i needed to fix it. my brother is a mechanic and with parts would have charged me around 300. I called around and bought the motor and regulator(i think it is called that) for only about 120 at a junk yard. the part was new though, surprised me. they only had the back left one. replaced it myself with my brother's tools(and some advice) in about 30 min. other window is held by a piece of wood, though it has crept down a few millimeters.

- , Boise, ID, USA

Nov 082007

Bonneville SLE 3.8L V6

I too have had problems with the right rear window. I was sitting in the car when I heard a thud and didn't realize what had happened until I started driving and heard the wind noise. Obviously, the window wouldn't go up and I've experienced the very costly repair. After reading all these reviews, I'm waiting for the left rear window to go.

- , Fishers, IN, USA

Mar 242008

Bonneville LE 3800

Anything that is electrical that can go wrong will with this piece of sh*t Bonneville. To date, both rear windows dropped, now have rubber door stop holding them up. The sunroof , screw it, I tilted it to close it - side hinge broke. Fuel gauge, that would be 500 or more, screw it - I keep track. Have spent more damn money trying to fix front end vibration, new tires X3, transaxle, wheel bearing, front end alignment, now just drive it as is. Fog lamp on passenger side replaced 3X, goes out whenever. Can't believe it. This is my 3rd and final Bonneville. I have written to Gm and told them to kiss my butt never buying their product again.

- , Clear Lake, MN, USA

Jan 172008

Bonneville

Because of a faulty design with the power windows on my Pontiac, the rear windows dropped and stopped working. I contacted Pontiac and they told me that they have not received enough complaints to warrant a recall for this problem. I am asking all of you out there to get on the Pontiac web site and file a formal complaint. There are strength in numbers and we need to let Pontiac know that they should be responsible for putting out a faulty product. LET THEM HEAR ABOUT IT.

- , Rancho Cucamonga, CA, USA

Aug 082007

Bonneville Bonneville 3.8L V6

all 4 windows have dropped,had a dealer to repair the 1st one for 325.00 !!!. I have clamped the other 3 shut by removing the door panel,raising window assembly all the way up,holding them in place with 2 radiator hose clamps.Works very well

- , Berea, KY, USA

Nov 102007

Bonneville SE V6

The right rear window just fell down on my way to work in May of this year. Then about a month ago the left rear window fell down. We've tried to keep it up with wedges and tape but nothing has worked. We may get them fixed, maybe not. But we will definitely be trading off the car.

- , Las Vegas, Nevada, USA

Oct 232007

Bonneville

Overnight the driver-side rear window fell open while parked in the driveway. The dealer estimates $670 to replace the motor and regulator. We decided to not fix the problem but the dealer said it would cost as much to jam the window shut as to fix it. We used clear package sealing tape to hold the wiondow shut.

Estimate to repair - $670. Our cost to alieve the problem $0.04

- , Decatur, IL, USA

Oct 202007

Bonneville SSE 3.8L V6

(3) three windows had problem the only window that went up or down is drivers all the windows stopped going up so had to drive around with tape on windows to keep them up it is very frustrating for this problem not to be covered by Pontiac and I have seen other Bonnevilles with the windows taped,

- , Bridgeville, PA, USA

Aug 312007

Bonneville Ssei

ABOUT A MONTH AGO I WAS ROLLING MY BACK WINDOWS UP AND I HEAR A CLANKING NOISE, THEN MY WINDOW WOULD NOT ROLL UP I COULD PULL IT UP WITH MY HANDS BUT THATS IT. I WORK FOR A DEALERSHIP AND THE CHEAPEST IT WOULD COST ME TO FIX IS 230.00, THATS JUST FOR THE DAMNED PART... WELL CHECK THIS SH*T OUT, 3 WEEKS LATER THE OTHER BACK WINDOW WENT OUT... IT DID THE SAME THING.. NOW I AM A WOMAN WHO LOVES CARS AND ESPECIALLY MY CARS BUT WHEN THIS TYPE OF STUFF HAPPENS IT SOURS THAT... I WILL BE FIXING THE WINDOWS FOR A TOTAL OF 576.00 AND THEN I WILL BE SELLING MY CAR.

- , Wichita, KS, USA