NHTSA — Electrical System Problems

2005 Pontiac G6 (Page 2 of 4)

CarComplaints.com Seal Of Avoid Like The Plague

CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2005 Pontiac G6 has major problems with two areas fairly critical to the act of driving... steering & safety.

The 2005 G6 has a major defect trend with electronic power-assisted steering failure. The power steering cuts out while driving, making it extremely difficult to steer. G6 owners typically report spending $600 - $1,200+ to fix the problem, replacing either the entire steering column or the power assist motor.

In March 2010, GM recalled 1.3 million vehicles for this exact problem "...after receiving 1,100 complaints of power steering failures." However the 2005 G6 wasn't included in that recall.

In July 2010, GM issued a "Special Coverage Adjustment" — TSB #10183 — covering "certain" (not all) 2005, 2006 & 2008 Pontiac G6's for power steering problems, up to 10 years/100k miles.

As of early 2013 the NHTSA had 300+ steering complaints on file for the 2005 G6, with 12 crashes & 4 injuries. The NHTSA closed their initial investigation in 2007, having determined that losing your power steering going over 15-20 mph isn't a big deal & that most crashes occurred at slow speeds, so not a safety risk. Ridiculous? Yep, we think so too.

The 2005 G6 also has an expensive problem with "popping" or "clunking" noises when turning, & that issue extends to newer model years as well.

Factor in the 2005 Pontiac G6's poor side impact protection & you end up with a vehicle you should steer clear of.

2005 Pontiac G6 electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Pontiac G6:

2005 Pontiac G6 Owner Comments (Page 2 of 4)

Jun 232012

G6 6-cyl

I was driving from philadelphia pa to baltimore Maryland. Upon stopping at a light before entering the highway, my steering wheel locked and I could not steer the car. As per ( April, 2014) this is still happening today. I called General Motors, they told me there was no recall on the car and should be taken in for diagnostic testing (that I have to pay for). This car has been nothing but trouble, it's dangerous and continues to lock as I am driving.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Oct 062013

G6 6-cyl

I was driving down the interstate at approximately 70mph when my car just decided to shut off. I lost all brakes and power steering. There was absolutely now power to my car making it very hard to control until I was able to get it to the side of the road.

- Dayton, OH, USA

Feb 162014

G6 6-cyl

When we turn the ignition key the engine starts but the key remains in start and doesn't return to run.we get no gauges, no power windows, and obviously no air bags, and no radio. If we barely touch key the car shuts off. We were fortunate to be able to park and figure out that you had to physically and carefully turn the key to run. The car died 9 out of 10 times. We had just bought the car and the dealer had earlier shaved the cars key to solve the problem. The dealer then had the lock changed by a certified locksmith. We contacted GM to verify that the new ignition that the locksmith put in wasn't defective, (not that we question the locksmith)and was told the car wasn't on the recall. When we asked whether they could tell if the lock was ok, or if the problem was deeper in the ignition they said we would have to pay $110 just to find out, and if it was defective, $300 more. Now we've contacted GM and got a file number, and guess what" they're blowing us off. We never even knew about the problem until the recall news 2/14.the recall needs expanding. And we need to know if the locks a locksmith might buy to replace, is also bad. GM refuses to give that info. And they say they haven't got the parts to repair their problem anyway. Can it be the ignition lock only or is it deeper"

- Simi Valley, CA, USA

Feb 102014

G6 6-cyl

"power steering" flashed on the radio with a chime then the power steering failed and could not turn the steering wheel. My wife almost hit the neighbors daughter on a bicycle just coming out of the driveway to turn onto the street. Due to mileage on the vehicle (159,000), GM states that it does not fall within the parameters of the warranty therefore not covering the cost of repair. This situation should be a full recall, regardless of mileage!!! the electric pump never should have been built inside this car!

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Feb 072014

G6 6-cyl

I was driving home from work on the interstate and the power steering light came on the dash. The steering wheel locked up and I could not steer my vehicle. Thank god there was no accident. I had to stop in the middle of the interstate with cars going as fast as 80mph. I turned it off and when I restarted it I had to turn the steering wheel very hard and pull my vehicle to the side of the road.I see tons of complaints online. Why isn't this being recalled? this car is unsafe. Thank god my child was not with me.

- Kenner, LA, USA

Jan 172014

G6

Power steering went suddenly out today while turning across an intersection. Could of been hit. Very scary and dangerous. Never received any notices!!!!!!!!!

- Stantonville, TN, USA

Dec 132013

G6

I was following my wife last might in 2005 Pontiac G6 GT. I noticed her brake lights were on while she was driving down the road and when she applied the brakes, her brake lights would go off. This is the first time I have had to follow her in her car, I do not now how long this has been going on. She bought the car new, it is a one owner so I know no one has messed with any of the parts/wires. I started looking online about this issue and noticed there were several pages on this situation. Also, that there were recalls in the past. We were never notified about a recall. Is this something the dealership should fix or are we stuck trying to fix this issue?

- Lindale, TX, USA

Mar 042013

G6

The brake lights on my 2005 Pontiac G6 do not work properly. At times, they will turn on when I press the gas pedal and they will also just come on randomly. Nine times out of ten when I press the brake pedal they don't come on at all. After taking my car to the dealership, they told me it was my brake sensor. They replaced it, I paid my extremely high bill and then the next day I got pulled over by a police officer because my brake lights were not working. I called the dealership and they said to bring my car back in. I took my car back and they said there was corrosion in the brake lines. They fixed that, I paid my extremely high bill and left. A few days later, my brake lights still did not work. I even took my G6 in for the recall about the brake lights. That didn't work for long either! I tried to put dielectric grease where Pontiac is claiming there is corrosion causing the brakes to seldom work. They worked for about 2 months and just recently my brake lights stopped working again. I have had my car looked at by three different mechanics and no one can give me an answer or a solution. I've been pulled over four times in the past few months due to this dangerous issue. Without brake lights working properly, my car is an accident waiting to happen. At this point, I'm not sure what else to do!

- Irwin, PA, USA

Feb 082013

G6 6-cyl

At the time of purchase, I noticed that the cruise control worked intermittently. I brought this to the attention of the sales staff and was told that, due to the price I was paying, there was "no room left to repair something not safety related". this was agreeable to me, so I left it at that. I drove the car for several months with no other apparent issues. Some time later I followed my wife in our other vehicle while she drove the Pontiac. I witnessed the brake lights stay on during times when the lights should not be on. Pulling up to a stop, I witnessed the brake lights go out. Basically, the brake lights stay on when the brake pedal is not being applied, and go out when the pedal is being applied. I contacted the dealership I bought the car from and was told that this is not a warranty issue, but a recall issue. After contacting GM, I was told this is not part of their very limited recall as "the recall is VIN specific".

- Beloit, WI, USA

Jul 102012

G6 6-cyl

I was driving my car on the highway, I had my cruise control set, and all of a sudden my cars cruise control disengaged, and could not be set again. When I got home I walked around my car with the car running and noticed my brake lights were illuminated with no driver present in the car. I have read online about many Pontiac G6 having this issue, even a recall was sent out but it doesn't effect my car. I also have noticed many G6 driving down the road doing the same thing as mine, brake lights writing on their own or not working at all. It also triggers the car maintenance light to turn on as well.

- Crete, IL, USA

Apr 042013

G6 6-cyl

In April 2013, while driving the 2005 Pontiac G6, the wheel began "jerking" around, and it became harder to control and steer the vehicle. A chime, and warning light appeared "power steering". after veering off to the shoulder and and re-starting the vehicle, the problem did not reappear. After the second re-start, the problem reappeared and was increased- increased strength to steer, warning light on. After taking the vehicle to an independent locally owned shop, it was learned that Pontiac was aware of this issue, and had issued a special coverage for the problem. After taking it to a Pontiac certified dealership, they repaired the problem, at my cost of $780, due to the fact that my mileage was outside of the special coverage perimeters. I was issed a letter outlining the problem, and special coverage perimeters in June 2012, at which time I was well within the mileage and year perimters listed, but was not experiencing the problem. I did not seek repair assistance, as it indicated for owners who were experiencing the problem only to seek repair assistance, and it would be covered at no charge. I experienced the problem 9 months later, in exactly the way described in the letter, and was denied coverage due to a higher mileage than outlined 9 months prior. Loosing control of your steering while going down a 2-lane highway at 55 mph seems to be more of a safety concern, than a general special coverage problem. Despite the amounts of affected vehicles with the exact same problem, it is dissapointing that Pontiac is not taking care of their customers in a more formal, recall way, and instead treating it as a casual compliant. After calling the 1-800 for GM, I was informed of no further assitance, or any indication that a recall would soon be issued.

- Newark, OH, USA

Sep 252012

G6 6-cyl

The brake lamps illuminate when the brake pedal has not been depressed, or the lamps may not illuminate when the brake pedal is depressed.

- Glendale, AZ, USA

Jan 152012

G6

While driving my 2005 Pontiac G6, the brake lamps go off when I actually press the brake pedal. They will stay on or sometimes flash at random times the entire time I drive. It is a well documented problem with these cars and it is related to corrosion on the BCM. This has happened twice to me in this car. Pontiac has never issued a recall, their way of fixing it is putting dielectric grease on the connectors and calling it good. It worked for me for about a year, and the problem has resurfaced....while driving down the interstate at 65mph. Faulty brake lamps are an extreme danger to anyone driving the vehicle.

- Madison, WI, USA

Apr 152012

G6

The issues started by the cruise control unexpectedly disengaging while driving. It has now progressed to it the cruise control comes on when you press the brake. That was almost a year ago. Now, the cruise control starts when the brake is pressed. However, when it comes on with the brake it stays on approximately 11-12 seconds and the disengages. The brake lights come on when the brake pedal is not being pressed. When, the brakes are being pressed the brake lights do not always come on. These issues have been happening since spring of 2012.I have taken my vehicular to GMC before and I was told their were no recalls and they have never heard of my problems before. But, if I pay there diagnostic fee to find out what's wrong in the electrical system that they can replace the electrical system but it would be a costly repair. I was then informed it would be cheaper to just trade it in. I was appalled.

- Newnan, GA, USA

May 012012

G6

My electrical power steering completely locks up while driving, making it nearly impossible to turn my steering wheel. It has happened almost every time I drive it recently. It also makes my car shake and make clunking noises. It is in the repair shop now, but because there is no recall, I am expected to pay for the repair, which I am refusing to do. With the amount of complaints and the absolute danger of this problem, it is ridiculous that this car is not recalled and covered by Pontiac. I will pay a lawyer fee to sue Pontiac before I pay for repairs caused by their faulty engineering.

- Northeast, MD, USA

Sep 162012

G6

I was driving down a road in my neighborhood and realized my car became very hard to steer. Then my check engine light flashed across my dash and radio stating "power steering". I stopped at the stop sign and I was able to pull into a driveway and turn off my car to reset it. I am so glad that a little kid or something didn't run out in front of me as I would have not been able to steer around an accident.

- Wapakoneta, OH, USA

Sep 032012

G6 6-cyl

GM sputter start. If it does start it sometimes doesn't start on the first try and sometimes catches and sputters before it starts. I have to keep the gas pushed so it will catch and start. Like the idle needs adjusted or something.

- Oakwood, IL, USA

Jul 052012

G6

Where do I begin!!! my G6 I love but apparently the electrical power steering goes out. So, with that being said you have no power steering. Its is really hard to turn your wheel, on highway to get off an exit, pull in to park somewhere, make a tight turn, and try and pull out of a tight parking situation. I realize one of the ways to fix the problem is to get it fix (obviously outrageous price), or just turn the car off and restart that seems to work. So, apparently about 3-4 years ago GM realized this "manufacture defect/recall" but not a safety recall" I don't understand it but you know how big companies are never want to be accountable. Ok, so in 2010 I receive this letter from GM about this loss of power steering but in the letter reminder it states "the vehicle can still be steered in a safe manner but will require greater driver effort at low vehicle speeds or when stopped." Ok so when you are on the highway??" I work alot and have to travel, and for personal reasons I travel a good bit. I have been very lucky when this defect occurs either someone with me to guide me through it or for some reason the highway is non busy and I can pull over (reminder 2 hands on the wheel with no power steering using all my arm strength to pull over) ok, so again this GM letter, so ok course after trying to jump some hoops I don't meet the requirements for this repair to fix by GM at their cost. That letter states vehicles with less than 100,000miles..yea ok, me I travel!!! crazy so I complain why not right. So, 2 years pass receive a letter from GM again about this "power steering issue" now 150,000ml..again!!!

- New Oxford, PA, USA

May 292012

G6 6-cyl

On numerous occasions, my car will chime once and a message will appear about my power steering. I will lose my power steering for a short period of time. It will be difficult to steer the car over off the road. It has also chimed and a message will come on about servicing the air bags. After the air bag message, the security paddlelock will come on and my car will basically shut down. I will lose my ability to accelerate and steer the car. This has occurred while driving down the highway and also when turning corners or stopping at stop signs. Once the vehicle has been stopped and shut off, it will not start again. I have to let it sit for at least 20 to 25 minutes and then I can restart it. Sometimes it will run fine for weeks, and other times such as yesterday, it continued every time I drove it. I just had numerous large repair bills and I have no more money to fix this major problem.

- Richland, IA, USA

Dec 092011

G6 6-cyl

I noticed that when trying to park my vehicle the steering wheel locks up. It is difficult to steer and appears that there is no power steering. The problem does not correct itself until you are going more than 20 mph. This continues to be an ongoing problem.

- Arlington, VA, USA