NHTSA — Steering Problems

2005 Pontiac G6 (Page 15 of 18)

CarComplaints.com Seal Of Avoid Like The Plague

CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2005 Pontiac G6 has major problems with two areas fairly critical to the act of driving... steering & safety.

The 2005 G6 has a major defect trend with electronic power-assisted steering failure. The power steering cuts out while driving, making it extremely difficult to steer. G6 owners typically report spending $600 - $1,200+ to fix the problem, replacing either the entire steering column or the power assist motor.

In March 2010, GM recalled 1.3 million vehicles for this exact problem "...after receiving 1,100 complaints of power steering failures." However the 2005 G6 wasn't included in that recall.

In July 2010, GM issued a "Special Coverage Adjustment" — TSB #10183 — covering "certain" (not all) 2005, 2006 & 2008 Pontiac G6's for power steering problems, up to 10 years/100k miles.

As of early 2013 the NHTSA had 300+ steering complaints on file for the 2005 G6, with 12 crashes & 4 injuries. The NHTSA closed their initial investigation in 2007, having determined that losing your power steering going over 15-20 mph isn't a big deal & that most crashes occurred at slow speeds, so not a safety risk. Ridiculous? Yep, we think so too.

The 2005 G6 also has an expensive problem with "popping" or "clunking" noises when turning, & that issue extends to newer model years as well.

Factor in the 2005 Pontiac G6's poor side impact protection & you end up with a vehicle you should steer clear of.

2005 Pontiac G6 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Pontiac G6:

2005 Pontiac G6 Owner Comments (Page 15 of 18)

May 202009

G6

Power steering system is bad.

- Beechgrove, TN, USA

Apr 282009

G6

Power steering went out in my 2005 Pontiac G6 almost causing a collision. I can't turn the car. I was on my way to work 45 miles away from home. Steering wheel just locked up when I was turning. Very scary! just happened this morning, so I have not had a chance to repair it.

- Monett, MO, USA

Jul 112006

G6

Well it all started for my stupid purchase of a ?!@#$% car, I have had numerous problems with this car costing me tons of money. 6 times I have had to replace my rotors and my brake pads because of a jolting shaking feeling with this car and I was told that the rotors are warped and that they need to be replaced. They never changed the rotors all they did was mill them down, 3 times they milled them down and the problem kept coming back until my warranty ran out they said your on your own. Sometimes I try to start my car and it will shake and put and die out and then it I will try it again and it will start, but I have had my car not start back up 2 times and had to get it towed and fixed and all they said was it was a dead battery but this happened 2 times with in a year and it still happens now. I started my car and started to drive and my steering wheel would violently jolt it self to the left and the right and it actually hurt my wrist from this and then the car died out and had to pay for towing and problem was a dead battery is what they said. Passenger door some how filled up with water and caused all my electrical to go haywire in my car and showing door ajar over and over again and it would go off causing my interior lights to not go off, my flood lights wouldn't work, cd player and radio only work when they want to work now, and some of the lights in the car go on and off when they want. Power arm in my car has been replaced 2 times already costing me a fortune and it needs to be replaced again, wonder if that has to do with the shotty rotors and brake problems. After revealing this to GM all I have heard back from them was to take it in a get a diagnostic test which I will have to pay for and then they might do something about it. Don"T buy any Pontiac cars, the warranty only means if there is a problem they will do nothing to fix it and when warranty is up your on your own. Still haven't had anything resolved with this vehicle.

- Orland Park, IL, USA

Jul 152006

G6

Steering column clunks when turning, sometimes causes steering problems, hard to steer. This is on a 2005 Pontiac G6 GT. Had column replaced twice under warranty, needs replaced again, vehicle is not under warranty any more.

- Lebanon, PA, USA

Mar 262009

G6

We own a 2005 Pontiac G6 which we bought new, and my wife drives the car. It's been a good car. But, when it was new Pontiac had to fix a clunky steering problem after only one year (under warranty). 59K miles, and 4 years later, the steering clunk returned. It only clunked when the car was not moving and when you turned the steering right and left. When moving it didn't do it. However before the clunk sound started again, about two months before to be exact (at 56K miles), the car was steering oddly on the road. It would shift to the left and right quickly, following ruts and making the car hard to keep on the road. It was a genuine safety hazard, but my wife didn't say anything to me about it. On flat roads it was okay. When I drove her car and discovered the steering problem I went nuts. Very unsafe situation. I called paul masse Pontiac in woonsocket, ri (where I bought the car) and asked if it was safe to drive the car and they said it was. Still, we had them repair the steering wheel ($400) last week. What they told me was the crash extension (telescoping) part of the steering shaft now has a nylon bushing to keep the smaller extension shaft in place and lubricated. Now the car's steering has no clunk and it drives straight, even on rutty pavement. The way it had been driving was, in reality, was a safety issue and I plan to call my friends at paul masse and complain. I believe the steering on the Pontiac G6 is a national safety issue, particularly on the earlier cars.

- Uxbridge, MA, USA

Mar 282009

G6

The power steering went out on me while driving. No way to check the power steering fluid.

- Taylors, SC, USA

Mar 182009

G6

I have had a problem with my electrical power steering on my 2005 Pontiac G6 GT. It first started with the steering tightening while making a stir. I thought nothing of it. But three days ago the power steering was completely gone. I thank god I wasn't on the freeway. I could have caused a horrible accident. I managed to take it to a shop and suggested replacing the power steering fuse. That wasn't the fix. I contacted a GM dealer and they said I would have to pay $100 to find out what was wrong. Also I will probably cost me anywhere to $350 to $500 to fix the problem. I went online and found several complaints from over the past few years dealing with the lost of steer power with the G6. Some cars were brand new. According to the posting several people have contacted GM corporate with the same complaint, but with no success. This is clearly a safety issue that has to be addressed by GM. These cars need to be inspected. This could result in casualties. Please can anything be done to have GM to issue a recall on the power steering system? I found a website that has several complaints like mine. The site is www.carcomplaints.com.

- Euless, TX, USA

Mar 012009

G6

Steering locks up on turns.

- Derby, CT, USA

Dec 012008

G6

While driving, the power steering stops working. It seems to happen most when I am slowing down while preparing to make a turn or while parallel parking. The last time this happened was yesterday and I barely had enough time to pull my car off the road. The power steering light comes on, dings, and then the power steering is completely gone. If I turn the engine off and then turn it back on, the power steering comes back. But it worries me that at any time I could lose power steering and also control of my car. This first started about three months ago (December 2009), and for a while it happened almost every time I would make even a slight sharp turn or attempt to parallel park. This has been happening more and more frequently, from a couple times a week to a few times a day.

- Duluth, MN, USA

Mar 102006

G6

I previously posted a complaint about having a defective intermediate steering shaft in this car that's causing a "clunk" sound when turning at low speeds. I contacted a local dealer (frank kent in ft. Worth, tx) to see if they had this part as I do not consider it safe to continue to drive the car without being repaired. They indicated that they do and also advised me that a safety recall had been issued for this same part in GM trucks and SUV's. why when this is obviously a severe problem in all GM vehicles wasn't a recall issued for all their vehicles using this same part? I hope to hear from an investigator soon as the person who answered my call today couldn't provide me with the answer to this question.

- Texarkana, TX, USA

Jun 012007

G6

Car has developed a clunk in steering when turning at low speeds. Steering column U joint is defective.

- Texarkana, TX, USA

Feb 062009

G6

I have had the steering rack on my 2005 G6 replaced 3 times, the last time it lasted 4 months and approx 3,400 miles the time before that it lasted 17, 000 miles and about 1 year. It seems that this car model has some serious steering issues that need to be investigated and make Pontiac accountable. Numerous calls to the Pontiac 880 do nothing. They do not care about the consumer.

- Waterbury, CT, USA

Feb 032009

G6

The contact owns a 2005 Pontiac G6. While driving between 5-10 mph on normal road conditions, the contact heard a chime sound inside the passenger compartment. Immediately, the power steering warning indicator illuminated on the instrument panel. The steering wheel locked, followed by an unintended loss of power steering. The driver exerted more effort to turn the steering wheel and pulled into a parking lot. The engine was turned off. When the vehicle was restarted, the warning indicator was no longer illuminated on the instrument panel and the power steering resumed to normal. On a separate occasion, the failure recurred. The vehicle is in the process of being taken to an authorized dealer for diagnostic testing. The failure and current mileages were 55,500. Updated 3/5/09 the dealer replaced the steering column assembly. Updated 03/10/09.

- Brick, NJ, USA

Nov 172007

G6

The contact owns a 2005 Pontiac G6. The contact noticed that the steering wheel was extremely difficult to turn. She also experienced roughness while driving, accompanied by a loud, indescribable noise. Lastly, it was difficult to remove the key from the ignition. She took the vehicle to the dealer and had the drive-shaft replaced along with a sensor in the instrument cluster. Immediately after the repair, the failure resurfaced. Speed was not a factor. The failure mileage was 31,100 and current mileage was 49,000.

- Lakefield, OH, USA

Jan 062009

G6

I started experiencing trouble when turning mainly to the right. It was subtle at first then became more prevalent. It still seems like the problem mainly occurs when turning to the right. No consequences have occurred yet, however, if the problem continues or gets worse it could lead to problems. I have received an estimate to repair the problem but nothing has been done yet. If problem persists or gets worse I will have to take action to repair the problem.

- Rock Island, IL, USA

Jan 102009

G6

Continuous problem with steering, even after dealer replaced and serviced all components...it came steering clunk at U joint and steering shaft came back. To my understanding this is a major manufacturer flaw from talking to people driving Pontiac G6 from 2005 till 2007?...and it can potentially lead to steering lock that will lead to accident and worse.

- North Aurora, IL, USA

Dec 212008

G6

After 64,000 miles on a 2005 Pontiac G6, I started hearing a clunk noise after turning steering wheel and while driving on expressway over 50 mph, my steering wheel vibrates. It feels as though the steering wheel is loose and something is about to come apart on my car. I went to a mechanic to get new brake pads and he stated that the vibration and steering noise was because my ball joints were bad. I handle this car extremely well and can not understand why ball joints would be bad so soon. He also stated that after trying to find parts, only the dealer sold them and they were a whopping $215 for each side of car. My warranty expired and this is going to be an out of pocket cost. It also seems that I have to keep replacing the brakes and rotors often. Additionally my power steering light comes on sporadically making it hard for me to turn the wheel.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Dec 292006

G6

Many times while driving vehicle power steering would tighten up while driving so could not turn wheel, mainly to left. Took 2005 G6 to dealer numerous times only to be told they could not find a reason for the problem. Finally in December of 2006, son was driving car, going around bend, steering wheel did not turn he wound up being hit by an 18 wheeler. Lucky to be alive. They did not total car, can you believe it, but turned it in 2 months later. Pontiac is very remiss in not recalling this vehicle before someone does get killed.

- Old Bridge, NJ, USA

Dec 122008

G6

I have had a problem with the steering of my 2005 Pontiac G6 from the day it was purchased. The steering has been fixed under warranty but he issue continues. I'm told by my dealer that it just seems to be an issue that I need to live with. I am also really afraid this will cause me to crash and kill myself or someone else. There needs to be a recall on this car. It seems that others are having the same problems.

- Turnersville, NJ, USA

Oct 152008

G6

Pontiac sent a letter regarding the loss of power steering. As of today, the steering in my Pontiac G6 has been repaired 3 times, the gas cap has been replaced at least three times, and the radio has been replaced 5 times, 3 of which have been in the past three weeks. I SE an investigation was opened regarding the steering in 2007 and I see no results of the findings. The issues have been persistent for about a year and Pontiac dealers refuse to test for electrical issues. I have been going round and round with the Pontiac company for three weeks with no solution. The car has been in the shop for three times in the past three weeks. Please help. I see other customer complaints regarding the 2005 Pontiac G6 and others seem to report the same issues. I no longer feel safe driving my child around in this car and Pontiac doesn't seem to want to resolve the issue.

- Mesa, AZ, USA