NHTSA — Service Brakes Problems

2006 Pontiac G6 (Page 1 of 5)

CarComplaints.com Seal Of Avoid Like The Plague

CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2006 Pontiac G6 has major problems with two areas fairly critical to the act of driving... steering & safety.

The 2006 G6 has a major defect trend with electronic power-assisted steering failure. The power steering cuts out while driving, making it extremely difficult to steer. G6 owners typically report spending $600 - $1,200+ to fix the problem, replacing either the entire steering column or the power assist motor.

In March 2010, GM recalled 1.3 million vehicles for this exact problem "...after receiving 1,100 complaints of power steering failures." However the 2006 G6 wasn't included in that recall.

In July 2010, GM issued a "Special Coverage Adjustment" — TSB #10183 — covering "certain" (not all) 2005, 2006 & 2008 Pontiac G6's for this power steering issue, up to 10 years/100k miles. However a large number of 2006 G6 owners have reported they were not covered by this campaign, based on VIN#.

As of late 2013 the NHTSA had well over 700 steering complaints on file for the 2006 G6, with 21 crashes & 12 injuries. The NHTSA closed their initial investigation in 2007, having determined that losing your power steering going over 15-20 mph isn't a big deal & that most crashes occurred at slow speeds, so not a safety risk. Ridiculous? Yep, we think so too.

The 2006 G6 also has an expensive problem with "popping" or "clunking" noises when turning, & that issue extends to newer model years as well.

Factor in the 2006 Pontiac G6's poor side impact protection & you end up with a vehicle you should steer clear of.

2006 Pontiac G6 brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Pontiac G6:

2006 Pontiac G6 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 5)

Nov 222016

G6

Brakes lights work in reverse. While driving the brake lights are illuminated and when I put the brakes on the lights go dim. This is a safety issue. I recently purchased this car 2nd hand and was unaware of this problem.

- Portville, NY, USA

Oct 012016

G6

The air bag doesn't work and the light flashes "service airbag, " and, while pumping the brakes to stop, you have to pumps twice before the car reacts to the command. I had the pads replaced but the car operates the same as before.

- Metairie, LA, USA

Jan 032012

G6

Takata recall first noticed problem January 2012. I had to press on brake pedal really hard to shift out of park and brake pedal would make a noise when I first pushed on it. Cruise control would disengage while in use or would not work at all. Not sure if brake lights were improperly working at this time or not. Took car to GM dealership 3 times before it seemed to be fixed. Forward to October of 2015 and issue is back. The same symptoms but the only reason I discovered the brake lights constantly being on is I was at gas station and got out of my car as it was idle and in park to throw something away and noticed during the day my tail lights were on and very bright. Took it to a mechanic immediately and as I pushed on the brake pedal, my brake lights went off. The shop put in a new brake light switch and that did not fix the issue. Can.of drive the car as it is too dangerous.

- Grand Haven, MI, USA

Jul 152011

G6

Driving through the neighborhood when the powersteering on the car went completely out. I was unable to slow the car down to bring it to a safe park on the side of road. Instead I hit an embankment. The witness and police were not sure why my car did not flip over in other words I lost steering and brake power and the car was deemed as totaled.

- Dallas, GA, USA

Mar 072016

G6

This car has been nothing, but a dangerous headache. I was pulling out of my driveway and the brake fell off.. glad no traffic was coming. Could not stop.. the a week later I am driving and the tire blew. Last weekend driving and lost all power. Not only did we get locked inside the car the serpentine belt was shriveled in pieces. It was horrible. Tell the dealer cause I'm making payments and they act as if the could careless.. the car has never been inspected. I had it looked at and was told the back accel is going to crash in and the electrical is bad it can cause a fire. Scare to drive it.

- Omaha, NE, USA

Nov 192015

G6

During slippery road conditions, when I apply brakes, even at low speeds like 5mph, the traction control interferes with brakes and car does not allows me to apply brake. I feel this strong vibration in the brake pedal and can hear some mechanical noise. Its life threatening in winters to drive this car with family. Physically by brakes and rotors are in good condition. Seems like problem with traction control or ABS.

- Apple Valley, MN, USA

Oct 142015

G6

My brake lights come on while I'm driving and stay on. Then when I apply the brakes the brake lights go off. I have had the brake pedal positioning sensor replaced numerous times after being told that it was the problem and it still keeps happening. I then received a recall notice for this brake issue and had the BCM and bpps and harness replaced (recall 13036) as well as the transmission shift cable (recall 14152). It has now been less than a year and I am having the same issue again. The dealership is telling me that it is the bpps again and is refusing to cover the cost. I feel scared every time I drive my car because I never know if my brake lights are working or not even after I'm told that they have been fixed.

- Marion, IN, USA

Aug 142015

G6

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. While driving at 45 mph, the brake warning light illuminated when releasing the brake pedal. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the brakes were repaired; however, the failure recurred. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 67,000.

- Lawndale, NC, USA

Jun 012009

G6

The brake lights are illuminated while the brake pedal is not compressed! this problem has been on going since June 2009, the vehicle has had the recalls preformed and the problem with the brake light has not been resolved!!!! this is a safety issue!!!

- Titusville , FL, USA

May 122015

G6

While coming to a quick stop to avoid a vehicle which ran a red light, my car started shaking violently in the front end. I proceeded a couple of miles and when I slowed down to make my turn the front started vibrating and shaking again. I had the brakes inspected by my local GMC dealer. To my surprise they found the brakes were well in range of specs. I left thinking everything was fine. The next day on my way to work when I reached 50 mph it started shaking again. Seems every time I had applied my brakes aggressively the front of the car felt like it was going to collapse. I again had the tech guy look at the vehicle. This time they found that the electronic brake control module internal was reading fault.

- New Bern, NC, USA

Sep 032014

G6

Coming to a stop sign and I was trying to stop and my brakes went.

- Columbus, GA, USA

Oct 022013

G6 6-cyl

I bought the car used with 35K miles on it in September 2013. Since then I have replaced the brakes and rotors twice and needing it done again now. And the car only have 71K miles on it now. I think there should be some kind of recall on the car for brake rotors warping. I have read multiple complaints of the same nature all over the internet.

- Cordova , AL, USA

Jun 022014

G6 6-cyl

On or about June 2nd, I was driving my 2006 Pontiac G-6, when a rotwiller dog jumped in front of me so I slammed on my brakes, the car did not respond properly at all, I didn't stop, and I spun out and did a 150 spin and hit an embankment. I missed the dog, but wrecked my beautiful car. I have never wrecked a car in my lifetime, I wrecked everything in the front of my car. My front bumper plate, energy absorber, lower grill right, lower grill left, emblem, right inner fender, right front bumper retainer and fender, right inner fender cover, front lower bumper filler, front lower air dam, plastic retainers upper, plastic retainers upper and lower, plastic retainers lower radiator, right radiator support bracket, radiator cap, cooling fan assembly, coolant, freon, atf. I no that I'm an excellent driver, and after that day I didn't have a car for 3 monthes. I was devastated. The car accident left skid marks on the road, so a person can pretty much read the entire story of accident. I feel my car did not respond the way it was supposed to. I feel that the car's recalls have everything to do with me slamming into an embankment, I could have died that day because the car doesn't respond correctly.

- Anza, CA, USA

Sep 132014

G6 6-cyl

This vehicle has 3 recalls for everything that shouldn't be transmission power steering and brakes...the power steering just gives out without warning!

- Miami, FL, USA

Aug 262014

G6

I recently purchased this vehicle. Soon after I purchased it, my husband was driving behind me when he discovered that my brake lights were backwards. They were on when I was not pressing on the pedal and were off when I was pressing the pedal. So to be clear the brake lights are on when they should be off and coming on when they should be off. Also, the cruise control light comes on but the vehicle does not maintain speed while using the function.

- Ravenna, MI, USA

Dec 022013

G6 6-cyl

When brake pedal is applied, brake lights go out. When brake pedal released, brake lights go on. Reverse of what they should do.

- Ypsilanti, MI, USA

Aug 152014

G6 6-cyl

Was following a car they want to stop and I couldn't stop and rear ended the car.

- Cumberland, MD, USA

Jun 132014

G6

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. The contact received recall notices for NHTSA campaign numbers: 14V153000 (steering) and 14V224000 (transmission shift cable). The dealer and manufacturer stated that the parts were not available to repair the vehicle. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact stated that the power steering and brakes failed intermittently while driving various speeds. The failure mileage was 193,000.

- Liberty , KY, USA

Aug 122014

G6 4-cyl

I pulled in krogers parking lot and my brakes went out then came back on. I went into the store came back now my traction control light is on and my car won't start.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Jun 032014

G6 4-cyl

I went to get my vehicle inspected and the brake lights would not operate correctly. First, they would not shut off. Then, they would not turn on. You can push the brake pedal and sometimes it will turn the brake lights on and they stay on, or it will turn them off and they will stay off. I have brought it to two different automotive shops, including the one I purchased it from and they have not been able to diagnose the problem. GM sent me a recall notice for this type of problem. However, it is not listed on the website. So I called GM and they stated I had to pay to have a manufacturer diagnose the problem as it was not a "legit recall as of yet" and that if it was found to be part of the recall the cost would be reimbursed. I explained to the GM agent on the phone that it has been looked at and I cannot afford to pay to have it looked at again. She stated I needed to wait for a "legit recall" to be mailed to me. The letter I received from GM previously is the same type of letter I had received about the other two recalls on my vehicle that are listed on the website and there are no parts for. The malfunctioning of my brake lights is a serious problem and could cause a horrible accident.

- Houlton, ME, USA