NHTSA — Vehicle Speed Control Problems

2006 Pontiac G6 (Page 2 of 3)

CarComplaints.com Seal Of Avoid Like The Plague

CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2006 Pontiac G6 has major problems with two areas fairly critical to the act of driving... steering & safety.

The 2006 G6 has a major defect trend with electronic power-assisted steering failure. The power steering cuts out while driving, making it extremely difficult to steer. G6 owners typically report spending $600 - $1,200+ to fix the problem, replacing either the entire steering column or the power assist motor.

In March 2010, GM recalled 1.3 million vehicles for this exact problem "...after receiving 1,100 complaints of power steering failures." However the 2006 G6 wasn't included in that recall.

In July 2010, GM issued a "Special Coverage Adjustment" — TSB #10183 — covering "certain" (not all) 2005, 2006 & 2008 Pontiac G6's for this power steering issue, up to 10 years/100k miles. However a large number of 2006 G6 owners have reported they were not covered by this campaign, based on VIN#.

As of late 2013 the NHTSA had well over 700 steering complaints on file for the 2006 G6, with 21 crashes & 12 injuries. The NHTSA closed their initial investigation in 2007, having determined that losing your power steering going over 15-20 mph isn't a big deal & that most crashes occurred at slow speeds, so not a safety risk. Ridiculous? Yep, we think so too.

The 2006 G6 also has an expensive problem with "popping" or "clunking" noises when turning, & that issue extends to newer model years as well.

Factor in the 2006 Pontiac G6's poor side impact protection & you end up with a vehicle you should steer clear of.

2006 Pontiac G6 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Pontiac G6:

2006 Pontiac G6 Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Nov 012008

G6 6-cyl

Brake lights are illuminated while driving and when car is in park, without brake being depressed. When brake is actually being depressed, brake lights are not illuminated. Cruise control works intermittently, sometimes going off while driving after being set. Difficult to switch gears out of park at times. Have taken it to mechanic twice. First time had a sensor replaced. Second time had the brake light switch replaced. Problems still not resolved. After seeing a previous recall in 2009 for this same issue I checked into it and my VIN number is not included in that recall. Driving with children in my car, it is a major concern for me, especially with the brake light issue. There are many times when people almost rear end us because of this issue. I hope that another recall is issued soon to correct this problem before people get seriously injured or killed as a result. Extremely dangerous malfunction!

- Rushville, IN, USA

Oct 042010

G6

The brake lights and cruise control stooped working at 60,000 miles. The brake lights are illuminated when I do not have the brake pad pressed and the brake lights go out when I press the brakes.

- Ewa Beach, HI, USA

Sep 302013

G6 6-cyl

Brake lights are illuminated without pressing brake pedal and turn off once brake pedal is pushed. Also cruise control sometimes doesn't work and while on will suddenly turn off it's self. Windows also will not roll down/up sometimes from passenger door controlling.

- Greenville, NC, USA

Aug 222013

G6 6-cyl

The brake lights are illuminating while driving without the brake pedal being depressed. When the brake pedal is pushed the brake lights turn off. The cruise control will turn on but it will not engage.

- Fort Wayne, IN, USA

Jul 202009

G6 6-cyl

The first problem I had was in July 2009 at which time my cruise control would not work all the time and sometimes when it was on, it would dis-engage itself. I took this in for service and they applied dielectric crease to a connector. The cruise then worked well again for some time. Intermittently I would have problems with it, but not all the time. Then in May 2011, my car would not come out of park. I eventually was able to get it out of park, but this recurred several times over the next week or so. I brought the car in for service several times but they could not figure out what was wrong with it. Eventually, it was discovered that when I pressed on the brake, the exterior brake lights would not go on but when the car was running with no one in it, the exterior brake lights went on. I took it back in and they replaced the brake switch. This corrected the problem with shifting out of park. My cruise control then worked again for awhile. Then in June 2012, my cruise control stopped working again and I brought the car back in and they replaced the brake switch again. Over the last several months, my cruise control has not been working (usually it will not engage and when it does, will dis-engage itself after a few seconds). I also recently discovered (when a friend was following me) that while driving and not pressing on my brakes, my exterior brake lights would be on. However, when I actually press on my brakes to stop or slow down, the exterior brake lights would go off.

- Davenport, IA, USA

Feb 012013

G6 6-cyl

Brake lights turn on even when I'm not braking, sometimes don't turn on when I am braking. Also, cruise control stopped working.

- Parrish, FL, USA

Dec 012012

G6 6-cyl

My car is very difficult to shift from park. My brake lights don't work when I push the brake and flash sometimes when I don't push the brake. My cruise control won't set and if it does set, it cuts off with out warning on the highway.

- Liberty, TX, USA

Jun 152012

G6 6-cyl

Brake lights are illuminating when I do not press the brakes...does not illuminate when I do press the brakes, this has resulted in me being rear-ended and has lead to several near accidents. Additionally, the cruise control will not set and it is often difficult for me to put my car into gear without pressing the break all the way to the floor or without restarting my car. The car doesn't always catch the first time I try to start it, the power outlets now are not working in addition the stereo resetting itself and the windshield wiper arm constantly popping off.

- Middle River, MD, USA

Jul 022013

G6 6-cyl

We were driving to dinner with our neighbors following behind us. I received a phone call from them stating that my brake lights were on when I was driving down the road and then once I would go to stop the brake lights would turn off until I released the brake. I went to use my cruise control and it wouldn't work. Then once we were leaving the restaurant I had trouble getting the car out of park, I had to press extremely hard on the brake to get it to release.

- Trenton, OH, USA

Jan 012009

G6 6-cyl

The brake lights illuminates when pedal is not engaged, and goes out briefly when engaged my cruise control is not working as well. I became aware of this situation when in for inspection the car failed for the center mount stop light was not working due to burned and melted bulbs and holders. Being told I needed to fix. It became know as to the brake lights turning on when pedal is not engaged. I changed brake switch, problem still continued. I sought info on internet and came upon former recall of this, and recent complaints. I called GM dealer and was informed there is nothing they can do to fix the problem. This is a safety issue and reason for bulb holders melting is from heat from being on all the time, my cruise control going out.

- Corpus Christi, TX, USA

Jun 282013

G6 6-cyl

My brake lights come on when my foot is nowhere near the brake pedal. I will be on the gas and the brake lights will either be flashing or just staying on. Or vice versa, my foot will be on the brake pedal and my brake lights wont be on. It is hard to press the brake pedal in when I go to shift out of park. My cruise control also doesn't work at times.

- Bloomington , IN, USA

Jun 172012

G6 6-cyl

First noticed that I was unable to shift from park. My cruise control would not engage or would shut off on its own while using. Realized my brake lights would stay on while driving and pedal was not depressed. Once I got the lights to turn off would not light up when pedal was depressed. First noticed this last summer but was not consistent. Started to act up again in the last few days.

- Rothschild , WI, USA

Jun 172010

G6 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that while driving 60 mph, the cruise control and brake lights failed. The failure recurred sporadically. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis where it was stated to the contact that the pedal position sensor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired but the problem persisted. The manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 80,000.

- Augusta, KS, USA

Jun 012013

G6 6-cyl

Transmission feels as though it enter overdrive- brakes feel unresponsive and if responsive only slightly, and continues to accelerate with the transmission stuck. Car will eventually stop when emergency brake is pulled, and then the transmission will not shift out of drive. Steering wheel will become locked as well. After multiple attempts of turning the vehicle off and on, it will eventually unlock the transmission and will allow to be shifted into park. Vehicle is an automatic.

- Wellington, FL, USA

Oct 242009

G6 6-cyl

Cruise control would not work. Also discovered that the brake light would not work at times. I took it to the dealer for service. He said that the brake pedal sensor needed recalibrated. This fixed the problem for about 6 months. Since then I have had the sensor replaced (3) times.

- Danville, IL, USA

Mar 302013

G6 6-cyl

Brakes lights will of the sudden come on, deactivating cruise control and brake lights will stay on continously. Brake lights will go off with the tap of the pedal but will then come back on.

- Iowa Falls, IA, USA

Dec 072012

G6 6-cyl

When I am driving my vehicle, the brake lights are on as if I am pressing the brake. However when I press the brakes to slow down or stop, the brake lights turn off. When I start my vehicle and the vehicle is in park, the brake lights of my car are on as if I've pressing the brakes. However, again once I actually do press down the brake pedal, they turn off. So my brakes are on when I'm not pressing the brake pedal at all, and are off when I am pressing the brake pedal.

- Flint, MI, USA

Oct 202012

G6

The cruise control will disengage while in use. This has happened on multiple occasions while traveling on the interstate.

- Frederick, MD, USA

Sep 232009

G6 6-cyl

This Pontiac G6 was taken to dealer on three occasions for the same complaint. 9/23/2009. The first occasion, the vehicle's cruise control did not work and the gearshift was very difficult to move out of park. On one occasion the car had to be left at work site as gear shift could not be moved until the next morning. Last, several people told me that brake lights were on while driving and turned off when applying the brakes; all the symptoms of the recall #09V036000 second occasion: It was taken to dealer again 6/20/2011 for the same symptoms the dielectric lubricant suggested in the recall was applied both times and complaints cured. Third occasion: The vehicle is going into dealer 6/11/2012 for the same complaints..

- Northville, MI, USA

Mar 072012

G6

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that while driving approximately 60 mph, the steering wheel became difficult to maneuver. The vehicle had not been inspected by a dealer nor repaired. The manufacturer was not contacted. The failure and the current mileages were approximately 71,000.

- Marion, IA, USA