NHTSA — Vehicle Speed Control Problems

2006 Pontiac G6 (Page 1 of 3) Seal Of Avoid Like The Plague Notes: The 2006 Pontiac G6 has major problems with two areas fairly critical to the act of driving... steering & safety.

The 2006 G6 has a major defect trend with electronic power-assisted steering failure. The power steering cuts out while driving, making it extremely difficult to steer. G6 owners typically report spending $600 - $1,200+ to fix the problem, replacing either the entire steering column or the power assist motor.

In March 2010, GM recalled 1.3 million vehicles for this exact problem "...after receiving 1,100 complaints of power steering failures." However the 2006 G6 wasn't included in that recall.

In July 2010, GM issued a "Special Coverage Adjustment" — TSB #10183 — covering "certain" (not all) 2005, 2006 & 2008 Pontiac G6's for this power steering issue, up to 10 years/100k miles. However a large number of 2006 G6 owners have reported they were not covered by this campaign, based on VIN#.

As of late 2013 the NHTSA had well over 700 steering complaints on file for the 2006 G6, with 21 crashes & 12 injuries. The NHTSA closed their initial investigation in 2007, having determined that losing your power steering going over 15-20 mph isn't a big deal & that most crashes occurred at slow speeds, so not a safety risk. Ridiculous? Yep, we think so too.

The 2006 G6 also has an expensive problem with "popping" or "clunking" noises when turning, & that issue extends to newer model years as well.

Factor in the 2006 Pontiac G6's poor side impact protection & you end up with a vehicle you should steer clear of.

2006 Pontiac G6 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Pontiac G6:

2006 Pontiac G6 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Jul 192016

Takata recall traction control light comes on randomly and check engine light comes on. When driving it shifts really hard if the tc light is on also while driving it trys to stall out. Also randomly all dash light will come on and gauges all go crazy and puts error on the dash where the odometer reading is and then car want start.

- Hudson, NC, USA

Nov 192015

During slippery road conditions, when I apply brakes, even at low speeds like 5mph, the traction control interferes with brakes and car does not allows me to apply brake. I feel this strong vibration in the brake pedal and can hear some mechanical noise. Its life threatening in winters to drive this car with family. Physically by brakes and rotors are in good condition. Seems like problem with traction control or ABS.

- Apple Valley, MN, USA

Aug 212006

Shortly after I purchased my 2006 Pontiac G6 (in 2006) it has been failing to start from time to time. The dealership stated that there is an electrical (shortage) problem that causes the car not to start and kills the battery. I have had to replaced the four(4) times. The car has totally died on me five (5) different times and had to be towed. The first and second times it died, it was between 25-40K miles ; therefore, still under warranty. The third time it was a little beyond 60K and the dealership would not honor the extended warranty, so I paid out of pocket. The fourth I replaced the battery again. The fifth after a few attempts the battery was recharged. Lost steering power while driving. The dic readout "check gas cap, " I would tighten the had cap, but still the engine light comes on. I have replaced the had cap the times. Lost power while driving. Car will not go above 40 mph. Transmission dipstick is missing.

- Silver Springs, FL, USA

Nov 172014

G6 6-cyl

I have taken my car to have it fixed under a recall for steering problems 3 times and now they are saying its not their problem> General Motors is sellin bad parts on vehicles and they are not doing enough to fix them.

- Swanville , ME, USA

Jun 232014

G6 4-cyl

2006 Pontiac G6. Consumer writes in regards to GM recall #13036 and repair reimbursement.* ld the consumer stated the dealership would not honor the no charge provision.

- Hampton, VA, USA

Oct 072014

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. The contact received recall notifications for NHTSA campaign number: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control) and NHTSA campaign number: 14V153000 (steering). The parts needed were not available. The dealer did not provide a specific date when the parts would become available. The manufacturer was notified. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Pueblo, CO, USA

Sep 022014

G6 6-cyl

2006 Pontiac G6. Consumer writes in regards to recall repairs. The consumer stated after receiving two recall letters, the parts finally came in. When the consumer arrived home, her husband reviewed the invoice, and discovered the parts, that were installed in the vehicle, were re-manufactured and not new. The dealer denied, the parts were re-manufactured.

- Perry, MI, USA

May 092014

Recently in may I started having problem with my 2006 Pontiac G6 V6. Once the car was diagnosed for problems with the transmissions as far as the speed senor control, I took actions as far as getting quotes for repairs. Every transmission placed that I contacted was quoting a price no higher than 3,000 because of the type of transmission that was in the car. As the days and time goes by there was no way that I would be able to come with this money. I contacted the lien holder in June, stated that I wanted to return the car, because I was unable to come up that type of money to repair my car. As of 08/01/2014, I received a letter in the mail from GM stating that it was a recall on the transmission for the same problem that it was giving me. I have sent a copy of the letter to united auto credit thinking that they would take this in consideration. If I would have known that this problem would have occurred I would have kept my car, instead of going through the time and trouble being without a car, and paying on a car that I no longer have. Since I had my car I was never late on payments. The problem with this car has caused me an on 9 month probation period with my job, due to the fact that I had to call off work or late for work. Since the car was purchased, I have kept up the maintenance on the car. I also have documents to follow that, until the day it was returned to the lien holder. By, not knowing this recall was going to occur, this has cost me a lot of money that I have to pay bay to my lien holder. Considering that I had received the letter after the I had sent my car back. It's unfair to me, that I had to go through this situation and I have to pay my lien holder $5200 back, because of this. If you need further information for this matter, please feel free to contact me. I have all documents handy.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Aug 262014

I recently purchased this vehicle. Soon after I purchased it, my husband was driving behind me when he discovered that my brake lights were backwards. They were on when I was not pressing on the pedal and were off when I was pressing the pedal. So to be clear the brake lights are on when they should be off and coming on when they should be off. Also, the cruise control light comes on but the vehicle does not maintain speed while using the function.

- Ravenna, MI, USA

Aug 292014

G6 6-cyl

While driving there was a noise similar to that of which you hear when the seat belt isn't engaged then the display on the radio reads "engine power reduced" then immediately after that it reads "engine power disabled" and then the car shuts itself down. I was able to coast to safety where I then turned the ignition to off. Tried to start it again but the car was completely dead. I waited 10 minutes and then was able to start the car again but it didn't start normal it kind of sputtered and then started. I was then able to drive home. A second occurrence happened a different day when I was parked. I started the car and it immediately made the above mentioned noise, gave me the same 2 messages and then shut itself down. I then could start it again after about 10 minutes. I was told this was a throttle body issue by a dealer and have not yet had this problem resolved. This is a very dangerous thing to happen while you are driving especially if you have small children in the car. This should be a recall immediately.

- Fond Du Lac, WI, USA

Feb 032014

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that the vehicle would jerk forward violently and accelerate independently while at a complete stop. The contact had to apply excessive force to the brake pedal to ensure that the vehicle would stop. In addition, the service engine sensor illuminated multiple times and was cleared twice by an independent repair shop; however, the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken back to an independent mechanic who changed the oil and reset the code twice, but did not diagnose the code displaying from the sensor. The contact also mentioned that the power steering sensor illuminated intermittently and the steering wheel was difficult to maneuver. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V153000 (steering). The manufacturer was notified of the failures. The approximate failure mileage was 123,000.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Jul 182014

G6 6-cyl

I was driving had the cruise control on at the time I could not get it to go off because there was a curve coming up before I knew it my car just would not stop and ended up crashing into the back of a pickup. I wasn't able to get the car to start braking until about 5 seconds before hitting the other vehicle. My airbag also didn't deploy. This happen 3 weeks ago now I am physical therapy because of the injuries sustained in accident. The recall came in the mail about a week after accident. Go figure prior to the accident I had my car at a shop getting oil change & they had mentioned there was a voltage issue but should be ok.

- Fountain, CO, USA

Mar 132012

While accelerating onto the highway the vehicle loses power and all service, warning and dash lights come on. They flash and flicker until I lift foot off gas pedal, but will come right back if I step on the gas to hard. This issue only occurs when performing a hard acceleration onto the highway.

- Lake Orion, MI, USA

May 072008

G6 6-cyl

My G6 just keeps having issues. I don't drive it a lot so I do not have a lot of miles on it for being a 2006 so some of the issue with the car like the windshield wipers not working all the time have just come up. I do not think it is do to age of the car; I think they should still fix any defects with the car. I love Pontiac's I had a sunfire before this. I have never receive any recalls on this car in the mail from GM from the first day I purchased it in January 2007. I have taken it to dealership and they fix most of the problems like the sun roof leak I had to take four or five times I loss count. What they should do is give some credit on buying a new one and scrape the old ones. I paid cash for this car thinking it would last along time I don't have the money to keep fixing it.

- Pensacola, FL, USA

May 012013

G6 6-cyl

Once again GM has issued a recall for 2006 Pontiac G6's for brake light issues, cruise control, and difficulties getting the car out of the park position. The brake lights randomly illuminate while pressing the gas and shut off when I press the brake. The cruise control will randomly disengage as well. Once again my VIN is not covered under the recall. How is this possible? the symptoms I've experienced are identical to the recall. Both recalls to be exact. The same make, model and year of car with identical problems but I'm not covered and the GM reps are no help. This is my second complaint. I know for a fact that there are other people out there having this same problem.

- Riverview , FL, USA

Jun 292010

G6 6-cyl

6/10: Driving on freeway at 65 mph and lost power steering. In 9/10, received letter from GM indicating issue so brought vehicle to local dealer for steering column replacement. In 10/10, driving on freeway at 65 mph, lost engine power and power steering with indicator above radio saying "reduced engine power". I had to pull over to side of road, turn car off, then turn back on again, to regain power. This happened several more times between 10/10 and early 12/10 at which time I brought the vehicle into local dealership for repair. They replaced throttle body. I have since sold the vehicle to my nephew who has not had any problems. This vehicle should have been a recall. Very dangerous. No rhyme or reason to occurrences as well as whether the car would regain engine power or not. I did have a heavy key chain at that time.

- De Pere, WI, USA

Dec 102013

G6 6-cyl

Sometimes (randomly) the brake lights are illuminated when the brake is not being pressed. When this happens, if I press the brake, the brake lights actually go off even though I'm braking. When this brake light problem occurs, the cruise control function also does not work. This has been happening on and off since I purchased the vehicle.

- Washburn, IL, USA

Nov 272013

G6 6-cyl

While driving North on Ohio rte. 33 (at 70 mph) on 11/27/2013, my cruise control disengaged and would not re-engage. I pulled over at the next available exit, shut off my car for about 10 seconds, and restarted. Cruise control was again operational. Given such an isolated incident, I dismissed my concern. However, on 12/16/2013, I was driving eastbound on I-70 (again at 70 mph) and my cruise control again disengaged. I noticed right away and pressed the accelerator to keep my speed up. The three vehicles immediately behind me, including one tractor-trailer and a vehicle operated by one of my family members, noticeably slowed down to add following distance. My cell phone rang, and my passenger answered and put the call on speakerphone. My family members in the vehicle behind me asked what was going on and indicated that my brake lights were still on, although no pressure was being applied. Apparently, this is the reason that the vehicles behind me were slowing down - they thought I was slowing down, even though I was not! I pulled off at the next exit to again shut off and restart my car. My passenger claimed that something smelled hot (possibly brakes), although I cannot offer verification of this. After restarting and re-entering I-70, cruise control worked and brake lights were reported by following family members to work properly.

- Continental, OH, USA

Nov 242013

Traveling West on I-20 and my cruise control disengaged for no reason and I realized my brake lights were on. I tried several things, but the lights would not turn off while I was driving and do not signal to other drivers that I am coming to a stop, which is quite dangerous. I have tried several things including checking recall status, but my VIN was not included in the recall. I also often have issues getting my car out of park, have to press the brake a little harder than normal.

- North Charleston, SC, USA

Sep 012011

G6 6-cyl

Most of the time my brake lights are on without pressing the brake pedal. Sometimes the lights are on when I start my vehicle and sometimes they come on while driving. When the brake lights turn on they generally do not turn off and I drive around with brake light always on. Sometimes I've been told that when the brake lights are on while driving and I begin to actually brake, the brake lights turn off. When the brake lights are on while driving the cruise control will not engage. There have been instances where I set my cruise control and it suddenly disengages and I have been told by people following my vehicle that this is when the brake lights turn on without me hitting the pedal. I have also noticed that when the brake lights are on when I start the vehicle that it is extremely hard to shift my car out of park.

- Oak Park, MI, USA