CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2006 Pontiac G6 has major problems with two areas fairly critical to the act of driving... steering & safety.

The 2006 G6 has a major defect trend with electronic power-assisted steering failure. The power steering cuts out while driving, making it extremely difficult to steer. G6 owners typically report spending $600 - $1,200+ to fix the problem, replacing either the entire steering column or the power assist motor.

In March 2010, GM recalled 1.3 million vehicles for this exact problem "...after receiving 1,100 complaints of power steering failures." However the 2006 G6 wasn't included in that recall.

In July 2010, GM issued a "Special Coverage Adjustment" — TSB #10183 — covering "certain" (not all) 2005, 2006 & 2008 Pontiac G6's for this power steering issue, up to 10 years/100k miles. However a large number of 2006 G6 owners have reported they were not covered by this campaign, based on VIN#.

As of late 2013 the NHTSA had well over 700 steering complaints on file for the 2006 G6, with 21 crashes & 12 injuries. The NHTSA closed their initial investigation in 2007, having determined that losing your power steering going over 15-20 mph isn't a big deal & that most crashes occurred at slow speeds, so not a safety risk. Ridiculous? Yep, we think so too.

The 2006 G6 also has an expensive problem with "popping" or "clunking" noises when turning, & that issue extends to newer model years as well.

Factor in the 2006 Pontiac G6's poor side impact protection & you end up with a vehicle you should steer clear of.

3.9

2006 Pontiac G6 lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Pontiac G6:

2006 Pontiac G6 Owner Comments

Jul 052008

G6

My 2006 Pontiac G6 brake lights are reversed. When I'm driving, they are constantly on and when I stopped they turn off. It seems to be an intermittent thing that my dealer has attempted to fix twice. My vehicle is now at the dealer for a 3rd time.

- Warren, MI, USA

Feb 282007

G6 6-cyl

Brake lights not functioning properly! brake lights either was on all the time or flickered. The dealer has been great by putting me in alt transportaion, but seemed the problem only existed with me for they did not have the problem with the car while in their possesion, but when I picked up my car the problem was again there. They have replaced the brake light switch, ABS module, and reprogrammed the BCM. But the problem still existed. Very dangerous, no one could tell when stopping, slowing or going or just riding the brakes. This has to be addressed.

- Conover, NC, USA