NHTSA — Steering Problems

2006 Pontiac G6 (Page 11 of 47)

CarComplaints.com Seal Of Avoid Like The Plague

CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2006 Pontiac G6 has major problems with two areas fairly critical to the act of driving... steering & safety.

The 2006 G6 has a major defect trend with electronic power-assisted steering failure. The power steering cuts out while driving, making it extremely difficult to steer. G6 owners typically report spending $600 - $1,200+ to fix the problem, replacing either the entire steering column or the power assist motor.

In March 2010, GM recalled 1.3 million vehicles for this exact problem "...after receiving 1,100 complaints of power steering failures." However the 2006 G6 wasn't included in that recall.

In July 2010, GM issued a "Special Coverage Adjustment" — TSB #10183 — covering "certain" (not all) 2005, 2006 & 2008 Pontiac G6's for this power steering issue, up to 10 years/100k miles. However a large number of 2006 G6 owners have reported they were not covered by this campaign, based on VIN#.

As of late 2013 the NHTSA had well over 700 steering complaints on file for the 2006 G6, with 21 crashes & 12 injuries. The NHTSA closed their initial investigation in 2007, having determined that losing your power steering going over 15-20 mph isn't a big deal & that most crashes occurred at slow speeds, so not a safety risk. Ridiculous? Yep, we think so too.

The 2006 G6 also has an expensive problem with "popping" or "clunking" noises when turning, & that issue extends to newer model years as well.

Factor in the 2006 Pontiac G6's poor side impact protection & you end up with a vehicle you should steer clear of.

2006 Pontiac G6 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Pontiac G6:

2006 Pontiac G6 Owner Comments (Page 11 of 47)

Jun 072007

G6

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. The contact stated while driving at low speeds, a clicking noise was heard in the steering wheel. The failure recurred intermittently. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer for diagnosis. The technician stated that the steering shaft needed to be replaced. In 2007, the vehicle was repaired by the dealer for the similar defect. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 25,860. The VIN was unavailable.

- Lehigh Acres, FL, USA

Apr 112012

G6 6-cyl

When I turned the car on, the power steering light came on and the power steering would not work. I would turn the car off and restart it and it would be fine, but once I would get going it would quit working again. This has been happening at least twice a week since 4/11/12. It is getting more and more dangerous. Without any warning, as I'm driving the power steering just goes out. I have contacted GM regarding this and they tell me that my VIN number was not included in the recall.my break lights also stay on if the break is not pushed down and when you press the break pedal down the break lights go off. More recently, when someone sits in my passenger seat the service air bag light comes on. I contacted GM again and again they told me that my VIN number was not affected and not included in the recalls. My car is affected, because I am having the same problems. I live in the dfw area and the break light issue and the power steering issue are causing huge problems for me. It is terrifying each time I have to go anywhere. At the drop of a hat the power steering just quits. GM does not see this as an issue and I am repeatedly given the brush off.

- Fort Worth, TX, USA

Jan 212014

G6

As I was driving my steering wheel locked up and it was almost impossible to turn the wheel. It happened on a regular side street as well as on the highway. My steering wheel also has a knocking sound/noise coming from it when I make any left or right turns. My sister has the same exact car. She informed me that she received a recall letter about the steering and her car was fixed but I have yet to receive a letter for my car which is the same make, model, and year. I have also been experiencing issues with my car when I accelerate from a red light, stop sign and etc. It feels like a jerking/pulling motion when I accelerate, as if it is trying to change gears... every time I take it to the car shop, it never does it when they are test driving my car. So it is difficult for the mechanic to pinpoint what I am referring to, which is frustrating.

- Houston, TX, USA

Mar 182014

G6

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that the vehicle intermittently failed to start. The contact also mentioned that the power steering assist failed while attempting a left turn. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was 100,000. The VIN was not available.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Mar 142014

G6

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that while driving 25 mph, the power steering warning lamp illuminated. The contact mentioned that the vehicle was making a loud noise before the steering wheel seized. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The technician was unable to diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure and current mileage was 128,206.

- Virginia Beach , VA, USA

Apr 102013

G6

Driving 65-70 mph on highway while raining. Lost quite a bit of power and started to stahl. Message flashed across message screen stating "reduced engine power". had to pull of to emergency shoulder lane. Left car on the side of highway for a little over 24 hours. Came back next day and my car started right up with no problems. This happened 3 more times with the same outcome. Around 4 weeks ago, while driving on the highway, no rain this time, I heard the chime and message screen flashed "power steering." My power steering was immediately lost, I managed to merge over to left lane and into the emergency lane. While merging, the screen chimed once again but now displaying "reduced engine power". my car stalled and completely shut off. Once stopped, I pulled out key from ignition. Replaced key in efforts to restart my vehicle. The ignition would not turn over. My vehicle was completely dead at this point. Around 10 hours later, returned to vehicle on highway shoulder, car started right up on the first turn of key. This exact incident happened 4 days later with same outcome. Recently last week and this week, while starting my car, once I place my vehicle in reverse. My message screen will chime and display "power steering" and loose all steering capabilities. I can fix this myself by turning off the engine, removing key, wait about 30 seconds and try again resulting in normal use.

- Bethel , OH, USA

Mar 082014

G6 6-cyl

When driving the car power steering popped up on the radio and all power steering stopped working on the car. I have researched online and some models have an issue with the power steering module and GM extended the warranty to fix the issue but I called the dealer and they said that my model is not covered. This is a very dangerous issue and if I had been going faster and on a turn it could have been very bad.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Mar 032014

G6 4-cyl

I was stopped at a stop sign and when I went to turn a corner, my power steering went out making it very difficult to maneuver my car around corners and into a parking spot. The power steering alert on the dash board came on. When I turned my car off and turned it back on, the power steering came back on. The issue I experienced is the same issue that is described in gms technical service bulletin 10183A, issued in May 2012, which extends the warranty on power steering columns for other 2006 Pontiac G6 cars. However, GM's position is that my VIN wasn't selected in 2012 when the extended warranty was put out, so they are unwilling to cover the cost to replace the steering column regardless of whether it's a previously identified issue with the steering column design and the potential safety risk.

- Adrian, MI, USA

Feb 282014

G6 4-cyl

Car started giving a warning that driver seat belt was not fastened and it was, the warning would repeatedly come on and go off for the whole day. Then while driving we lost power steering. It was very difficult to control and fortunately was able to pull into a private drive. Left the car and obtained a ride to my destination and the next morning returned, started the car and it was ok. Car does sit outside and not sure what happened but glad we were not going 70 mph on highway. We had to replace the manifold on the car just about 2 weeks before these issues and it was expensive. I don't believe this to be a normal issue for this year of car and what's scary is we also own a 2008 G6.

- Ridgeway, OH, USA

Nov 012013

G6

The steering wheel on my vehicle had completely locked up while I was trying to turn on to a busy highway. I had to drive straight across a four-lane highway so I could safely stop to turn the car off and back on so the steering wheel would unlock. I was told about the recall that GM had put out back in 2010 because of the exact same power steering issues. After being told by two dealerships that my car did not fit the criteria because it was only specific VIN numbers. I then decided to call gms Pontiac customer service line to voice my concerns and ask why a vehicle that is doing the same thing they recalled vehicles for can't fall under their recall and service bulletin they issued. After talked to someone for quite a while and continued to be told that there is nothing they can do. So my concern is that even though my situation may have not been as severe as others, it could have been. And when I go to the manufacturer of my vehicle with a safety concern I think they need to be a little more caring and actually try to help. Especially when there has been a recall for the same issue!!

- Kennedale, TX, USA

Jan 302014

G6 6-cyl

I was driving on highway, I just got on the highway when the message on the radio screen popped up and said power steering failure. I could not move my steering wheel, it was very hard to try and get my car off to the shoulder. If I had been driving any faster or in the left or middle lanes on the highway, I would definitely have been hit or hit someone. This is a serious issue, GM has told me there is nothing they can do about it because the vehicle is out of warranty but my question is if I'm not the first person to report this issue and there has been many out there like this, why haven't they sent out notices to inform the driver of this issue? since then, my power steering has went out twice and since GM won't cover costs to repair this manufacturer defect, I am forced to trade in my car or sell it. I don't think I will be buying another GM car because of the lax attitude they have towards this issue.

- Kissimmee, FL, USA

Dec 152013

G6

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that while driving approximately 30 mph, the steering wheel seized with the illumination of the power steering warning indicator. The engine was turned off and after restarting, the vehicle operated normally. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnosis. There was a voluntary recall issued by the manufacturer pertaining to the steering component however, the manufacturer informed the contact that the vehicle was not included in the recall because it had exceeded the required mileage. The approximate failure mileage was 152,424.

- Ashtabula, OH, USA

Sep 012013

G6 6-cyl

Electric power steering goes out all the time. Has been happening since 130K. Now at 151K GM wont fix it.

- Beloit, WI, USA

Feb 132014

G6 4-cyl

Having trouble steering this car when it wants to mess up can resent if you shut it off.

- Seymour, MO, USA

Feb 202012

G6 6-cyl

Started driving the car and power steering goes out.

- Livingston, CA, USA

Jan 242014

G6

While driving home from work my ABS light came on without me touching the brakes. Then the security lock on the dash panel lit up, as if I had locked and activated the security system via the key fob. I was still driving, so there was no reason for me to activate the security system. As I came to a red light and went into the left hand turn lane, I noticed that I had no power steering. While waiting for the light to turn green, the battery light illuminated on the dash panel. I was able to make it safely across the street before the car shut itself off. When I tried to re-start the car, it wouldn't start. I let it rest about 5 minutes and tried again. The car started and within 30 seconds went through the same sequence. ABS light, security light, battery light and shut off. I have replaced the alternator and the battery as they both read low on voltage. To this day 2/15/2014, the only way to keep the car running is to run a direct cable from the alternator to the battery. It is the only way they give off the correct voltage and work with each other. They can no longer function separately of each other. I've read several other complaints of the same issue on edmunds.com with no response from GM. I have contacted GM and was told to take it to a dealership. I informed them I've had my own trusted, local mechanic look at it and he can't diagnose the issue other then a massive electrical failure. I asked GM what their resolution was since this is a know problem with the vehicle. Again, was just told to take it to a GM dealer. No further response or possible solution was offered from GM.

- Cochranville, PA, USA

Aug 072013

G6

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that while driving 45 mph, the power steering warning lamp illuminated. The contact mentioned that the vehicle was making a loud noise before the steering wheel seized. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The technician was unable to diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The failure and current mileage was 130,000.

- Aurora, CO, USA

Jan 162014

G6 4-cyl

I only had the car one month. When I stopped at stop sign, the steering wheel jerked and alarm chimed. When I went to turn to the left the position sensor transducer in the steering was extremely tight like the car had shut off. I saw there was a recall on the steering after I took it to a mechanic and paid $185 in labor. The auto dealer paid for the part (replaced the steering column assembly).

- Bennettsville, SC, USA

Oct 012013

G6

Below is what happen to my 2006 G6 Pontiac ON01/23/2014, I was driving on the highway 60 mph the chime went off on my radio/driver information center (dic) and I lost my power steering almost crashed into a brick wall. GM is stating they need a letter from you in order to replace the defective part. Loss of power steering assist/ during this investigation, General Motors (GM) indicated that approximately 15,600 model year (my) 2005 Pontiac G6 vehicles built from November 3, 2004 through January 5, 2005 may experience a loss of power steering assist due to an insufficient crimp at the torque and position sensor transducer located in the steering column assembly. GM has indicated that it plans to send letters to the owners of these vehicles to inform them that it will extend the warranty coverage for the eps system in their vehicles to 7 years or 70,000 miles. Statistical analysis of the failures in the population affected by the wiring crimp problem indicate that the problem is an early life failure that should occur within the terms of the extended coverage. GM's investigation of eps failures in the subject vehicles identified a problem with the connector crimps during the two month production range covered by the warranty extension. During this period the crimps may be asymmetrical, resulting in inadequate pressure on the wire that can lead to electrical noise in the signal from the sensor to the controller. The controller may interpret this electrical noise as a malfunction of the system and default to manual mode (I.e., turn off the eps system).

- Fishers, IN, USA

Jan 162014

G6

The car lost power steering resulting in difficulty maintaining control of the car. The dic indicated steering failure. After car was removed from roadway. It was turned off, restarted, and power assist resumed operation. The problem replicated itself several times causing many problematic driving situations. Car was submitted to dealer, requiring a $800 repair for steering column sensor replacement.

- Covington, LA, USA