NHTSA — Steering Problems

2006 Pontiac G6 (Page 44 of 47)

CarComplaints.com Seal Of Avoid Like The Plague

CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2006 Pontiac G6 has major problems with two areas fairly critical to the act of driving... steering & safety.

The 2006 G6 has a major defect trend with electronic power-assisted steering failure. The power steering cuts out while driving, making it extremely difficult to steer. G6 owners typically report spending $600 - $1,200+ to fix the problem, replacing either the entire steering column or the power assist motor.

In March 2010, GM recalled 1.3 million vehicles for this exact problem "...after receiving 1,100 complaints of power steering failures." However the 2006 G6 wasn't included in that recall.

In July 2010, GM issued a "Special Coverage Adjustment" — TSB #10183 — covering "certain" (not all) 2005, 2006 & 2008 Pontiac G6's for this power steering issue, up to 10 years/100k miles. However a large number of 2006 G6 owners have reported they were not covered by this campaign, based on VIN#.

As of late 2013 the NHTSA had well over 700 steering complaints on file for the 2006 G6, with 21 crashes & 12 injuries. The NHTSA closed their initial investigation in 2007, having determined that losing your power steering going over 15-20 mph isn't a big deal & that most crashes occurred at slow speeds, so not a safety risk. Ridiculous? Yep, we think so too.

The 2006 G6 also has an expensive problem with "popping" or "clunking" noises when turning, & that issue extends to newer model years as well.

Factor in the 2006 Pontiac G6's poor side impact protection & you end up with a vehicle you should steer clear of.

2006 Pontiac G6 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Pontiac G6:

2006 Pontiac G6 Owner Comments (Page 44 of 47)

Nov 112008

G6

When I start my car and back out, I hear a dinging noise like that of when the seat belt is not on and the power steering locks up and the warning light displays power steering. Every now and then I can restart the engine and it will correct the problem. The thing is....I should not have to restart my car in order for the power steering to work properly (however the problem is not always corrected and I have to drive without power steering which is very difficult if you have to turn your vehicle.) I do believe that this is very dangerous and should definitely be recalled and its not covered under warranty.

- Raceland, LA, USA

Oct 152008

G6

I just wanted to note that I have experienced these same issues with my 2006 G6 gtp. I have had my steering components replaced at least 2-3 times in the 2 years I've owned my car. I have 67K miles and purchased an extended warranty to 75K, so my repairs have been covered, but seeing these complaints is disturbing to me. Like many others here, I travel to/from work in my car each day at high rates of speed on the interstate. I hope GM will resolve any defective issues before someone must suffer. My steering was just replaced 2 months ago and I'm already hearing clicking under my front end again, so am planning to take my car back to the dealership soon. Please alert all owners if GM does decide to stand behind their product and repair these issues.

- Summerville, SC, USA

Nov 102008

G6

I was driving about 55mph on a highway on my way to work. The display had indicated "power steering" about 15 miles before, when I left for work. As I rounded a corner of the highway my steering seemed to loosen up completely, the wheel turned back and forth, I drove into the oncoming lane and then the shoulder, and almost into a ditch; I could not regain control of the wheel. After about 30sec of this behavior, the steering calmed down and locked up so that I could not turn. Luckily I was then about three blocks from work because by the time I parked I could not turn at all. It is in the shop right now, hopefully it wont break me to fix. Unfortunately I have about 70,000 miles now and no warranty! with the amount of complaints I've read and the danger that this puts people in (not to mention the financial hard ship) there needs to be a recall and somebody needs to take responsibility; somebody's going to get hurt.

- Everett, WA, USA

Nov 072008

G6

There is a clunking in the front end when you turn the steering wheel. I took this vehicle to the dealer on 11/07/08, and they determined that the clunking was coming from the steering rack. They replaced the steering rack for no charge because it was covered under warranty. The problem I have is that this is the third vehicle that I've taken in for this problem, but only two were covered because of warranty issues. I own two Pontiac 2006 G-6's, and one 2008 G-6. I believe the issue with this vehicle is a manufacturer defect and that they should be taking care of this problem with no out of pocket expense to me.

- Camillus, NY, USA

Nov 032008

G6

Monday morning, November 3, 2008, I was driving to work then suddenly the power steering light came on and I lost the able to steer the car. I was barely able to turn into the nearest parking lot, steering was so difficult. This has happened off and on since Monday, the light goes on and off and the power steering sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. I have four kids, I work 60 miles from home, 120 miles a day and I never know if I can rely on my car or not. I have read many online accounts of the same thing happening to different people. Hopefully, a recall will soon be issued for the safely of all. Thank you for your time. Christie fruge

- Wills Point, TX, USA

Oct 242008

G6

There is a clunking in the front end when you turn the steering wheel. I brought to the dealer on 10/24/08 and they recommended that the steering rack be replaced for an estimated $503.15. This was not covered under warranty because the car is over by 3,000 miles. My daughter has the same 2006 G-6 that also has the same clunking noise. Her vehicle is going to the shop on 11/07/08 to see what they think it is. My wife has a 2008 G-6 that also has the same clunking noise and it is in the shop today ( 11/03/08 ). were still waiting to hear back from them on their recommendation. Even though this should be covered under warranty on her car, I feel this is a manufacturer defect, and it should be covered on my car. It's not too often a person buys three of the same cars, and all three of them have the same problem.

- Camillus, NY, USA

Nov 012008

G6

I have a 2006 G6 GT and my steering column and rack and pinion keeps going out and it is going out again. It has 40,000 miles and has already been fixed once. Looking into this it has caused wreck and could possibly one day cause a death. Is that what GM wants a lawsuit because someone died from the problem that could be fixed?

- Union City , TN, USA

Oct 152008

G6

Lost power steering in my 2006 Pontiac G-6 resulting in lack of ability to respond to traffic situations-brought to garage who couldn't seem to diagnose the problem-still having problems with the steering column and am uncomfortable driving the vehicle given the safety concerns.

- Loudon, NH, USA

Sep 282006

G6

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. While driving approximately 45 mph, the steering column moved from left to right on its own. The vehicle was driven to a local repair shop and the mechanic stated that the alignment needed to be adjusted. The repairs were performed; however, the failure recurred two weeks later. The power steering warning indicator illuminated on the instrument panel. The dealer stated that there were no recalls for the steering column. The vehicle has not been diagnosed and the manufacturer has not been notified. The current mileage was 52,000 and failure mileage was 51,000.

- Mccolmb, MS, USA

Oct 272008

G6

When I turn left I hear a clunking noise. My power steering stops working while I am driving if I stop the car and restart it comes back. It seems to be worse in cold weather.

- Ottawa, OH, USA

Oct 152006

G6

Rack and pinion on my 2006 G6 is out. This car is only 2 1/2 years old. It causes the car to steer to the right and tears up my tires. I am sure that GM knows this is a problem because of the internet chat on this particular problem.

- Haubstadt, IN, USA

Oct 132006

G6

I leased a 2006 G6 and there's been a constant "clunk" in steering column. Its been repaired numerous times at the dealership. There has also been many "power steering" warning indications on the display unit inside the car. The power steering actually went out on one occasion. The entire steering mechanism has been replaced by the dealer and the problem continues. The warranty has expired and now the dealer wants me to pay for repairs and for a rental. GM has been of little help and a better business bureau claim has been filed to little avail so far.

- Chesterfield, MI, USA

Oct 162007

G6

1)power steering went off in the highway making it hard to steer. 2)steering box staring to make a thumping noise at 29K miles now is worst.3) display a "power" in the dash board. All of this problems in the same day

- Genoa, IL, USA

Oct 102008

G6

Complete loss of steering while driving. If driving faster could have caused accident.

- Hillsdale, NY, USA

May 012008

G6

I recently purchased a 2006 Pontiac G6 in may (approximately 33,000 miles). Shortly after the purchase my husband and I noticed a popping sound coming from the front of the car. We took it in to the dealership and they said that the steering shaft just needed to be lubed. Needless to say the problem never went away. Lately when I turn on my car the info center reads "power steering." My husband and I did the research and found many complaints about this same thing. I read a blog on motortrend.com that said the NHTSA was investigating the power steering failure. So, I am writing to you so that you have at least one more complaint about this faulty in the Pontiac G6. In addition, I would also like to add that when driving this car I no longer feel safe. I appreciate all the effort I know you are putting into this investigation. If you need any additional information or input please feel free to contact me via E-mail.

- Pueblo West, CO, USA

Sep 222008

G6

Steering has failed on my 06 Pontiac G6, the gear & core return was replaced one year ago at 23,000 and now at 51,700 miles it needs to be replaced again! the steering locked after leaving the dealership that was more concerned who was going to pay for the repair then my safety. The steering locked and caused a minor accident. In 30 years of driving I have never had to replace a steering gear or core return, much less two in one year. Update (10/2/08): When the steering locked up I had no control and hit a cart. I have a $1000 dollar deductible and had mentioned that I am struggling a little and have not got estimates as I can't afford to get it fixed. No other vehicle was involved and no accident report was made. When I went to the dealership for the repair on the steering colum, he would not look at it until I agreed to sign the paperwork stating that I would pay the $100 deductible. So, I had to drive away and I am still driving the car in this defective state.

- Peoria, AZ, USA

Sep 222008

G6

Clunk in front end at low speeds when turning. Had repaired but noise is back. Many other G6 owners with same complaint.

- Okemos, MI, USA

Aug 072007

G6

Mr. Did evasive manuevers at 65 mph to avoid deadly collision with fully loaded senior citizen van by a driver with a cell phone. Steering wheel was very loose, brakes pedals were very easily depressed, none of the front air-bags deployed and car seats did not lock. Mr. Hit median concrete at 60 mph. Ambulance and emergency room dictated, "you all very lucky to have survived." 3rd party administrator(esis) counter claims mr.. that because Mr. Collided with median sideways the air-bags did not deploy. Mr. Argues that front driver portion of car hit median first, air bags should have deployed and seat belts should have locked. 3rd party administrator counters. Because there is no proof we cannot claim such fact. She (3rd party) is insisting on us to sign medical release forms and submit pictures of car. Mr. Has advised that car is repaired and has been sold. Confusion arises when dealer agrees that car has sensors and collision shop did not indicate any sensors. Mr. Is confused whether stabili-trak or some other systems should be in place to have prevented the collision with median and under the tire sensors should have been in place. If any system (stabili-trak or other) were in place, the whole accident could have been prevented. Esis-claim #660283.

- Mercedes, TX, USA

Jul 042008

G6

The power steering went out in my car while backing out of a parking spot, thankfully there was no one behind me or in front. I contacted the dealership regarding this problem and was told it would cost me $1200 to repair the problem.

- South Daytona, FL, USA

Oct 062006

G6

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. While driving approximately 40 mph, the steering column made a loud noise when a left turn was made. There were no warning lights illuminated on the instrument panel. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer and repaired. The failure recurred on a separate occasion. The vehicle has not yet been diagnosed or repaired. The VIN was unknown. The failure mileage was 8,000 and current mileage was 51,000.

- Columbus, GA, USA