NHTSA — Steering Problems

2006 Pontiac G6 (Page 44 of 47) Seal Of Avoid Like The Plague Notes: The 2006 Pontiac G6 has major problems with two areas fairly critical to the act of driving... steering & safety.

The 2006 G6 has a major defect trend with electronic power-assisted steering failure. The power steering cuts out while driving, making it extremely difficult to steer. G6 owners typically report spending $600 - $1,200+ to fix the problem, replacing either the entire steering column or the power assist motor.

In March 2010, GM recalled 1.3 million vehicles for this exact problem "...after receiving 1,100 complaints of power steering failures." However the 2006 G6 wasn't included in that recall.

In July 2010, GM issued a "Special Coverage Adjustment" — TSB #10183 — covering "certain" (not all) 2005, 2006 & 2008 Pontiac G6's for this power steering issue, up to 10 years/100k miles. However a large number of 2006 G6 owners have reported they were not covered by this campaign, based on VIN#.

As of late 2013 the NHTSA had well over 700 steering complaints on file for the 2006 G6, with 21 crashes & 12 injuries. The NHTSA closed their initial investigation in 2007, having determined that losing your power steering going over 15-20 mph isn't a big deal & that most crashes occurred at slow speeds, so not a safety risk. Ridiculous? Yep, we think so too.

The 2006 G6 also has an expensive problem with "popping" or "clunking" noises when turning, & that issue extends to newer model years as well.

Factor in the 2006 Pontiac G6's poor side impact protection & you end up with a vehicle you should steer clear of.

2006 Pontiac G6 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Pontiac G6:

2006 Pontiac G6 Owner Comments (Page 44 of 47)

Oct 152008

Lost power steering in my 2006 Pontiac G-6 resulting in lack of ability to respond to traffic situations-brought to garage who couldn't seem to diagnose the problem-still having problems with the steering column and am uncomfortable driving the vehicle given the safety concerns.

- Loudon, NH, USA

Sep 282006

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. While driving approximately 45 mph, the steering column moved from left to right on its own. The vehicle was driven to a local repair shop and the mechanic stated that the alignment needed to be adjusted. The repairs were performed; however, the failure recurred two weeks later. The power steering warning indicator illuminated on the instrument panel. The dealer stated that there were no recalls for the steering column. The vehicle has not been diagnosed and the manufacturer has not been notified. The current mileage was 52,000 and failure mileage was 51,000.

- Mccolmb, MS, USA

Oct 272008

When I turn left I hear a clunking noise. My power steering stops working while I am driving if I stop the car and restart it comes back. It seems to be worse in cold weather.

- Ottawa, OH, USA

Oct 152006

Rack and pinion on my 2006 G6 is out. This car is only 2 1/2 years old. It causes the car to steer to the right and tears up my tires. I am sure that GM knows this is a problem because of the internet chat on this particular problem.

- Haubstadt, IN, USA

Oct 132006

I leased a 2006 G6 and there's been a constant "clunk" in steering column. Its been repaired numerous times at the dealership. There has also been many "power steering" warning indications on the display unit inside the car. The power steering actually went out on one occasion. The entire steering mechanism has been replaced by the dealer and the problem continues. The warranty has expired and now the dealer wants me to pay for repairs and for a rental. GM has been of little help and a better business bureau claim has been filed to little avail so far.

- Chesterfield, MI, USA

Oct 162007

1)power steering went off in the highway making it hard to steer. 2)steering box staring to make a thumping noise at 29K miles now is worst.3) display a "power" in the dash board. All of this problems in the same day

- Genoa, IL, USA

Oct 102008

Complete loss of steering while driving. If driving faster could have caused accident.

- Hillsdale, NY, USA

May 012008

I recently purchased a 2006 Pontiac G6 in may (approximately 33,000 miles). Shortly after the purchase my husband and I noticed a popping sound coming from the front of the car. We took it in to the dealership and they said that the steering shaft just needed to be lubed. Needless to say the problem never went away. Lately when I turn on my car the info center reads "power steering." My husband and I did the research and found many complaints about this same thing. I read a blog on that said the NHTSA was investigating the power steering failure. So, I am writing to you so that you have at least one more complaint about this faulty in the Pontiac G6. In addition, I would also like to add that when driving this car I no longer feel safe. I appreciate all the effort I know you are putting into this investigation. If you need any additional information or input please feel free to contact me via E-mail.

- Pueblo West, CO, USA

Sep 222008

Steering has failed on my 06 Pontiac G6, the gear & core return was replaced one year ago at 23,000 and now at 51,700 miles it needs to be replaced again! the steering locked after leaving the dealership that was more concerned who was going to pay for the repair then my safety. The steering locked and caused a minor accident. In 30 years of driving I have never had to replace a steering gear or core return, much less two in one year. Update (10/2/08): When the steering locked up I had no control and hit a cart. I have a $1000 dollar deductible and had mentioned that I am struggling a little and have not got estimates as I can't afford to get it fixed. No other vehicle was involved and no accident report was made. When I went to the dealership for the repair on the steering colum, he would not look at it until I agreed to sign the paperwork stating that I would pay the $100 deductible. So, I had to drive away and I am still driving the car in this defective state.

- Peoria, AZ, USA

Sep 222008

Clunk in front end at low speeds when turning. Had repaired but noise is back. Many other G6 owners with same complaint.

- Okemos, MI, USA

Aug 072007

Mr. Did evasive manuevers at 65 mph to avoid deadly collision with fully loaded senior citizen van by a driver with a cell phone. Steering wheel was very loose, brakes pedals were very easily depressed, none of the front air-bags deployed and car seats did not lock. Mr. Hit median concrete at 60 mph. Ambulance and emergency room dictated, "you all very lucky to have survived." 3rd party administrator(esis) counter claims mr.. that because Mr. Collided with median sideways the air-bags did not deploy. Mr. Argues that front driver portion of car hit median first, air bags should have deployed and seat belts should have locked. 3rd party administrator counters. Because there is no proof we cannot claim such fact. She (3rd party) is insisting on us to sign medical release forms and submit pictures of car. Mr. Has advised that car is repaired and has been sold. Confusion arises when dealer agrees that car has sensors and collision shop did not indicate any sensors. Mr. Is confused whether stabili-trak or some other systems should be in place to have prevented the collision with median and under the tire sensors should have been in place. If any system (stabili-trak or other) were in place, the whole accident could have been prevented. Esis-claim #660283.

- Mercedes, TX, USA

Jul 042008

The power steering went out in my car while backing out of a parking spot, thankfully there was no one behind me or in front. I contacted the dealership regarding this problem and was told it would cost me $1200 to repair the problem.

- South Daytona, FL, USA

Oct 062006

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. While driving approximately 40 mph, the steering column made a loud noise when a left turn was made. There were no warning lights illuminated on the instrument panel. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer and repaired. The failure recurred on a separate occasion. The vehicle has not yet been diagnosed or repaired. The VIN was unknown. The failure mileage was 8,000 and current mileage was 51,000.

- Columbus, GA, USA

Sep 032008

Steering failure in Pontiac G6, 2006. Steering can lock up while driving, very difficultto control if the power steering goes out. Also, at other times steering is extremely hard to turn left, very easy to turn right. Can act up at any time. Update (10/06/08): The power steering did go out, as I was traveling about 35-40 mph. I was able to get the car off the road...several times, upon starting the car, the display showed "power steering". very hard to turn. Shut vehicle off, restart, display clears, then you can drive. But, the car was hard to steer to the left, and extremely easy to the right. I'll fax (received) a copy of the invoice. So far, the problem has not occurred again. The invoice shows that the power steering control module was defective.

- Canal Winchester , OH, USA

Jun 122006

Rented this G6 2006 from enterprise rental co. My wife was driving this car while hers was in the shop for repairs. She was driving on a winding road and the steering went out. She lost control of the car while trying to turn through a curve. The car flipped into the air and rolled 3 times before landing in a ditch. As a result she had 2 collapsed lungs 20 broken ribs, both scapules were shattered and broke collar bone from the seat belt and a snapped right arm. Due to the lack of information on the so called black box the cause was blamed on my wife's driving. This issue needs to be addressed before someone is killed, as I almost lost my wife. Update: The car was getting faster going downhill. She tried to turn the steering wheel as hard as she could but couldn't. the car is being held. The steering wheel was acting up the night before the crash.

- Shelbyville, KY, USA

Aug 282008

Tie rods on a Pontiac 2006 G6 also the power steering pump has been replaced twice. Some middle rod in the steering wheel. All of this has been replaced.

- Grandview, TX, USA

Aug 122008

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. While driving between 25-60 mph, the power steering warning light illuminates on the instrument panel. Afterwards, the power steering shuts off. As a result, the contact cannot steer the vehicle. The failure has occurred twice. During the first incident, he managed to drive the vehicle to the dealer without any power steering. The dealer found no failures. They restarted the vehicle, which allowed the power steering to reset itself and it began to work normally. The failure recurred within ten minutes of leaving the dealer. He took the vehicle to another dealer and, after some diagnostic tests were performed, he was informed that the failure was in the power steering module. The power steering module was replaced and the repair lasted for approximately two weeks. The vehicle is currently at the contact's residence and the failure still persists. The failure mileage was 56,000 and current mileage was 58,000.

- Hyde Park, MA, USA

Jul 092008

2006 Pontiac G6 power steering locking up, power steering comes across the radio when it locks. After restarting car it seems to clear for a few days and then starts all over again. Had the power disconnected and reconnected and fixed for a few weeks. Started all over again and is getting worse. Taking it back in to a mechanic 8/15/2008 for another repair to see if they can diagnose the problem.

- Auburn, NY, USA

Jul 092008

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. The vehicle made a popping noise in the steering while driving 40 mph. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer and was informed that there was internal gear failure. The steering gear was replaced. The service manager stated that it was a common failure with that make and model vehicle; however, there was no resolution. The dealer repaired the vehicle, but it only lasted approximately one month before recurring. The dealer informed the contact that she had no choice but to bring the vehicle back to be repaired again. The failure mileage was 15,000 and current mileage was 25,390.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Aug 182006

I have been having steering/suspension problems starting two months after the vehicle was purchased. The first incident started in August of 2006. I took the car in because of a rattle in the front end when vehicle was warmed up. Service dept. Replaced the engine stabilizer/snubber. Second incident happened in February of 2008. I took the car in because there was a rattle in the front end over bumps and when turning. The service dept. Replaced the left hand strut upper mount and lubed the intermediate shaft and reset the collar on the rack and pinion. The third incident happened in July of 2008. I took the car in because I felt a knocking noise in the steering and it worsened when I was stopping. The service dept. Then replaced the right lower control arm. My car is now making more noises in the front end and I have an appointment to get it serviced on August 8th (14 days after last incident). This car has only 26,000 miles on it. I should not be having all these problems with the front end. I feel their needs to be a recall on the suspension on these G6's. they are terrible and dangerous. I went on a trip this past weekend and drove some windy roads and thought either my front end was going to shake to pieces or I would not be able to stop. Someone is going to get seriously hurt.

- Swansea, IL, USA