NHTSA — Steering Problems

2006 Pontiac G6 (Page 44 of 47)

CarComplaints.com Seal Of Avoid Like The Plague

CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2006 Pontiac G6 has major problems with two areas fairly critical to the act of driving... steering & safety.

The 2006 G6 has a major defect trend with electronic power-assisted steering failure. The power steering cuts out while driving, making it extremely difficult to steer. G6 owners typically report spending $600 - $1,200+ to fix the problem, replacing either the entire steering column or the power assist motor.

In March 2010, GM recalled 1.3 million vehicles for this exact problem "...after receiving 1,100 complaints of power steering failures." However the 2006 G6 wasn't included in that recall.

In July 2010, GM issued a "Special Coverage Adjustment" — TSB #10183 — covering "certain" (not all) 2005, 2006 & 2008 Pontiac G6's for this power steering issue, up to 10 years/100k miles. However a large number of 2006 G6 owners have reported they were not covered by this campaign, based on VIN#.

As of late 2013 the NHTSA had well over 700 steering complaints on file for the 2006 G6, with 21 crashes & 12 injuries. The NHTSA closed their initial investigation in 2007, having determined that losing your power steering going over 15-20 mph isn't a big deal & that most crashes occurred at slow speeds, so not a safety risk. Ridiculous? Yep, we think so too.

The 2006 G6 also has an expensive problem with "popping" or "clunking" noises when turning, & that issue extends to newer model years as well.

Factor in the 2006 Pontiac G6's poor side impact protection & you end up with a vehicle you should steer clear of.

2006 Pontiac G6 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Pontiac G6:

2006 Pontiac G6 Owner Comments (Page 44 of 47)

Nov 262008

G6

Faulty power steering, locked up and lost control had to use much muscle power to steer it to a safe place on the freeway.need to restart to reset the power steering. Contacted the local dealership for check claims that's the design. Is it a design for safety or design for death.

- Manchester , CT, USA

Oct 252006

G6

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. While driving approximately 55 mph, the contact heard a ringing noise and noticed that the power steering warning indicator illuminated on the instrument panel. After the illumination, the steering column locked and became inoperable, which caused him to completely stop the vehicle. The vehicle was pushed to the side of the road and, approximately ten minutes later, the steering became operable and the contact drove to the residence. The dealer stated that the rack and pinion would have to completely fail in order for them to inspect the vehicle. The vehicle was driven to a local repair shop and the mechanic stated that the crimp wiring in the steering column failed, which caused the electrical steering to fail. The manufactured stated that there were no recalls; therefore, they were not liable for the repairs. The vehicle has not been repaired. The current mileage was 42,000 and failure mileage was 40,000.

- Teaberry, KY, USA

Oct 062008

G6

The powersteering on my Pontiac G6 has failed- I've had the car for less then a year and now I am going to have to pay about $1000 to fix it. The steering is so tight sometimes it is very hard to turn. I was able to avoid a crash one day using all the strength I had in order to avoid a car. Now the powersteering locks up at least 3 times a week and I have been told that being GM certified doesn't cover any of it. Something needs to be done- Pontiac needs to own up to this huge failure. I would hate to see someone die because Pontiac was too cheap to issue a recall.

- Louisville, TN, USA

Nov 042008

G6

Nov 4, 2008 - power steering went out on Pontiac G6 after starting the car and beginning to back out of a parking spot. Nov 17, 2008 - power steering went out after backing out of driveway. Causing me to hit mailbox. Each time the problem was corrected by turning the car off and letting it set for a few minutes and then starting the car back up. Nov 22, 2008 - power steering went out after backing out of a parking spot.

- Knoxville, TN, USA

Jun 052008

G6

I have had a 2006 Pontiac G6 for 6 months now and have had the following problems. One month after I bought it I have to have the steering rack repaired/replaced. Now I am having the ball joint and control arm replaced. The rotors also need replaced. None of this was covered by warranty. I have heard of other G6 owners who have had the same problems and of course was not covered by warranty.

- Mingo Junction, OH, USA

Jul 272008

G6

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. While driving 25 mph, the power steering system locked and the vehicle became difficult to steer. The vehicle has been to the dealer three times for a diagnosis and they stated that the power steering assist motor control module failed. The vehicle is currently at the dealer. The contact stated that the vehicle is unsafe to drive due to the many complaints regarding the power steering system. The current mileage was 65,700 and failure mileage was 50,000.

- Langston, OK, USA

Nov 112008

G6

When I start my car and back out, I hear a dinging noise like that of when the seat belt is not on and the power steering locks up and the warning light displays power steering. Every now and then I can restart the engine and it will correct the problem. The thing is....I should not have to restart my car in order for the power steering to work properly (however the problem is not always corrected and I have to drive without power steering which is very difficult if you have to turn your vehicle.) I do believe that this is very dangerous and should definitely be recalled and its not covered under warranty.

- Raceland, LA, USA

Oct 152008

G6

I just wanted to note that I have experienced these same issues with my 2006 G6 gtp. I have had my steering components replaced at least 2-3 times in the 2 years I've owned my car. I have 67K miles and purchased an extended warranty to 75K, so my repairs have been covered, but seeing these complaints is disturbing to me. Like many others here, I travel to/from work in my car each day at high rates of speed on the interstate. I hope GM will resolve any defective issues before someone must suffer. My steering was just replaced 2 months ago and I'm already hearing clicking under my front end again, so am planning to take my car back to the dealership soon. Please alert all owners if GM does decide to stand behind their product and repair these issues.

- Summerville, SC, USA

Nov 102008

G6

I was driving about 55mph on a highway on my way to work. The display had indicated "power steering" about 15 miles before, when I left for work. As I rounded a corner of the highway my steering seemed to loosen up completely, the wheel turned back and forth, I drove into the oncoming lane and then the shoulder, and almost into a ditch; I could not regain control of the wheel. After about 30sec of this behavior, the steering calmed down and locked up so that I could not turn. Luckily I was then about three blocks from work because by the time I parked I could not turn at all. It is in the shop right now, hopefully it wont break me to fix. Unfortunately I have about 70,000 miles now and no warranty! with the amount of complaints I've read and the danger that this puts people in (not to mention the financial hard ship) there needs to be a recall and somebody needs to take responsibility; somebody's going to get hurt.

- Everett, WA, USA

Nov 072008

G6

There is a clunking in the front end when you turn the steering wheel. I took this vehicle to the dealer on 11/07/08, and they determined that the clunking was coming from the steering rack. They replaced the steering rack for no charge because it was covered under warranty. The problem I have is that this is the third vehicle that I've taken in for this problem, but only two were covered because of warranty issues. I own two Pontiac 2006 G-6's, and one 2008 G-6. I believe the issue with this vehicle is a manufacturer defect and that they should be taking care of this problem with no out of pocket expense to me.

- Camillus, NY, USA

Nov 032008

G6

Monday morning, November 3, 2008, I was driving to work then suddenly the power steering light came on and I lost the able to steer the car. I was barely able to turn into the nearest parking lot, steering was so difficult. This has happened off and on since Monday, the light goes on and off and the power steering sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. I have four kids, I work 60 miles from home, 120 miles a day and I never know if I can rely on my car or not. I have read many online accounts of the same thing happening to different people. Hopefully, a recall will soon be issued for the safely of all. Thank you for your time. Christie fruge

- Wills Point, TX, USA

Oct 242008

G6

There is a clunking in the front end when you turn the steering wheel. I brought to the dealer on 10/24/08 and they recommended that the steering rack be replaced for an estimated $503.15. This was not covered under warranty because the car is over by 3,000 miles. My daughter has the same 2006 G-6 that also has the same clunking noise. Her vehicle is going to the shop on 11/07/08 to see what they think it is. My wife has a 2008 G-6 that also has the same clunking noise and it is in the shop today ( 11/03/08 ). were still waiting to hear back from them on their recommendation. Even though this should be covered under warranty on her car, I feel this is a manufacturer defect, and it should be covered on my car. It's not too often a person buys three of the same cars, and all three of them have the same problem.

- Camillus, NY, USA

Nov 012008

G6

I have a 2006 G6 GT and my steering column and rack and pinion keeps going out and it is going out again. It has 40,000 miles and has already been fixed once. Looking into this it has caused wreck and could possibly one day cause a death. Is that what GM wants a lawsuit because someone died from the problem that could be fixed?

- Union City , TN, USA

Oct 152008

G6

Lost power steering in my 2006 Pontiac G-6 resulting in lack of ability to respond to traffic situations-brought to garage who couldn't seem to diagnose the problem-still having problems with the steering column and am uncomfortable driving the vehicle given the safety concerns.

- Loudon, NH, USA

Sep 282006

G6

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. While driving approximately 45 mph, the steering column moved from left to right on its own. The vehicle was driven to a local repair shop and the mechanic stated that the alignment needed to be adjusted. The repairs were performed; however, the failure recurred two weeks later. The power steering warning indicator illuminated on the instrument panel. The dealer stated that there were no recalls for the steering column. The vehicle has not been diagnosed and the manufacturer has not been notified. The current mileage was 52,000 and failure mileage was 51,000.

- Mccolmb, MS, USA

Oct 272008

G6

When I turn left I hear a clunking noise. My power steering stops working while I am driving if I stop the car and restart it comes back. It seems to be worse in cold weather.

- Ottawa, OH, USA

Oct 152006

G6

Rack and pinion on my 2006 G6 is out. This car is only 2 1/2 years old. It causes the car to steer to the right and tears up my tires. I am sure that GM knows this is a problem because of the internet chat on this particular problem.

- Haubstadt, IN, USA

Oct 132006

G6

I leased a 2006 G6 and there's been a constant "clunk" in steering column. Its been repaired numerous times at the dealership. There has also been many "power steering" warning indications on the display unit inside the car. The power steering actually went out on one occasion. The entire steering mechanism has been replaced by the dealer and the problem continues. The warranty has expired and now the dealer wants me to pay for repairs and for a rental. GM has been of little help and a better business bureau claim has been filed to little avail so far.

- Chesterfield, MI, USA

Oct 162007

G6

1)power steering went off in the highway making it hard to steer. 2)steering box staring to make a thumping noise at 29K miles now is worst.3) display a "power" in the dash board. All of this problems in the same day

- Genoa, IL, USA

Oct 102008

G6

Complete loss of steering while driving. If driving faster could have caused accident.

- Hillsdale, NY, USA