NHTSA — Steering Problems

2006 Pontiac G6 (Page 47 of 47) Seal Of Avoid Like The Plague Notes: The 2006 Pontiac G6 has major problems with two areas fairly critical to the act of driving... steering & safety.

The 2006 G6 has a major defect trend with electronic power-assisted steering failure. The power steering cuts out while driving, making it extremely difficult to steer. G6 owners typically report spending $600 - $1,200+ to fix the problem, replacing either the entire steering column or the power assist motor.

In March 2010, GM recalled 1.3 million vehicles for this exact problem "...after receiving 1,100 complaints of power steering failures." However the 2006 G6 wasn't included in that recall.

In July 2010, GM issued a "Special Coverage Adjustment" — TSB #10183 — covering "certain" (not all) 2005, 2006 & 2008 Pontiac G6's for this power steering issue, up to 10 years/100k miles. However a large number of 2006 G6 owners have reported they were not covered by this campaign, based on VIN#.

As of late 2013 the NHTSA had well over 700 steering complaints on file for the 2006 G6, with 21 crashes & 12 injuries. The NHTSA closed their initial investigation in 2007, having determined that losing your power steering going over 15-20 mph isn't a big deal & that most crashes occurred at slow speeds, so not a safety risk. Ridiculous? Yep, we think so too.

The 2006 G6 also has an expensive problem with "popping" or "clunking" noises when turning, & that issue extends to newer model years as well.

Factor in the 2006 Pontiac G6's poor side impact protection & you end up with a vehicle you should steer clear of.

2006 Pontiac G6 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Pontiac G6:

2006 Pontiac G6 Owner Comments (Page 47 of 47)

Jun 012006

G6 6-cyl

Popping noise in steering when turning the steering wheel. First occurrence was in June of 2006. Dealer repaired by lubricating the steering shaft. Returned to dealer in August of 06 with the same problem - dealer stated service bulletin was out and repaired steering noise again. Returned to dealer in Nov 2006 for the same problem, this time the dealer replaced another part in the steering shaft. I was able to drive the car for 7 months and the same noise returned. I returned to the dealer in August 07 made another repair/replacement to the car. I was. I will monitor to see how long this fix lasts. I was assured the problem was take care of. I drove the car for approximately 4 weeks and the noise returned, I brought the car to the dealer on 10/10/07, this time they lubricated the shaft again. 5 times for the same problem in just over a year is unacceptable - Pontiac needs to figure out why my car continually has had this issue. I will monitor my car again, but I told my dealer I will be returning if I have this problem again.

- Romeoville, IL, USA

Sep 282007

We bought our G6 in Jan. '07 and we began experiencing a popping sound in may '07. We took the vehicle in and was told that it was the humidity and was sent on our way. The problem continued and we had someone else look at it. We took it back to the dealership and requested that they take a closer look. They repositioned a part. This did not correct the problem. We took it back in August and they replaced the tire rods. Problem was still not corrected. We had to take it back in this month and they replaced the steering gear. I picked the car up two days ago and it is still making the popping noise and another creaking noise. I am thankful that we have not been involved in a wreck, but I feel as if we are sitting ducks every time we drive our vehicle. We have tried to trade it, but we can not get a fair trade because of the popping and creaking noise. I do not feel safe driving the car. We have a 2 year old daughter and I pray every time that she is in the car that nothing will go wrong. I feel that this is a serious issue and that this should be looked into in a timely manner. Many consumers drive this car on a daily basis and we are not the only ones that could be affected if something were to go wrong. The people on the road may also be affected. We should all feel safe when driving and we are on the road. As a parent, I feel that this is a very dangerous situation with all of the G6's on the road.

- Trenton, TN, USA

Aug 012007

G6 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that he heard a grinding noise when he started the vehicle. While driving 40-50 mph, the steering wheel veered from left to right on its own. As of September 13, 2007, the dealer had not inspected the vehicle. The failure mileage was 40,000 and current mileage was 46,699. Updated 11/15/07

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Aug 142007

G6 6-cyl

My electrical system in my Pontiac G6 GT has been having trouble. The first sign of trouble was my window switch quit working, which was replaced, but after researching I found that this is a common problem. The second incident happened a month ago, my power steering failed as I was turning a corner. This then proceeded to happen numerous times, when I was going between 0-40 mph. I had to shut off the car, then it was okay (no "power steering light" came on). The electrical chip was replaced. Third incident, power steering light starting coming on and steering was harder to control (but not locking up). I am very concerned that this is going to be an ongoing problem with the electrical system in the G6, and I am even more concerned for my safety and when the warranty is finished. Pontiac needs to look into these failures and take the steps to ensure the consumers safety.

- Grand Rapids, MI, USA

Jan 082007

G6 6-cyl

2006 Pontiac G6 gtp driving (approx 20-30 mph) down a residential street when a large truck came down the street in the opposite direction. I turned my wheel slightly to move away from the center line. The steering wheel locked, making it impossible for me to turn the wheel back so that I could go straight again. My car hit the back wheel of a parked car. There was damage to both cars. Fortunately, no one was injured. The damage to both cars is currently being assessed.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Sep 222006

G6 6-cyl

I was driving approx. 55-60 mph when the steering wheel locked up and I lost control of the vehicle, crossing the center lane. It remained locked for about 30 yards and then released. Update (10/9/08): The steering is electrical. The steering would not budge...I was pulling down on it with everything in me to try to get it back into my lane and it would not move. When I took it in for repair they said they could find nothing wrong with it. Out of fear of it happening again and GM unwilling to do anything about it, my vehicle sat for nearly 3 months before I had no choice but to take the risk and drive it.

- Wauseon, OH, USA

Jul 212006

G6 6-cyl

: the contact stated while traveling at various speeds, the dashboard warning for steering illuminated and was audible. When this occurred the steering failed. The vehicle has been towed to the dealership where the computer has been reset three times. These efforts have not repaired the problem. For the most recent incident, the steering shaft will be replaced.

- Cheektowaga, NY, USA