NHTSA — Vehicle Speed Control Problems

2007 Pontiac G6 (Page 3 of 4) Seal Of This Might Hurt Notes: Unfortunately the 2007 Pontiac G6 continues a serious trend of steering problems from the prior model year.

2007 Pontiac G6 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Pontiac G6:

2007 Pontiac G6 Owner Comments (Page 3 of 4)

May 252010

G6 6-cyl

While driving my 2007 Pontiac G6 GT sedan I had someone flag my attention. He said that my brake lights were on while I was driving and shut off when I was actually braking at a stop light. Also, the cruise control was no longer in operation during this period of time. I had the brake switch replaced on my car. The problem still occurred at random. I have also been stuck in a few parking lots not being able to shift my car out of park. I had to re start my car several times and wait for a prolonged period before the car was able to shift to reverse so I could leave. I was alone in the dark on a snowy night for 30 minutes in a deserted parking lot the first time it happened. The brake light malfunction comes and goes throughout the years subsiding for a short periods of time but then returns at any given moment. This spring, the problem has returned non-stop and I have again, been flagged down by 3 other drivers to inform me of my brake lights being on while driving and going off when actually braking. I have also been followed too close by many drivers and cut off in traffic several times. The problem with the rear brake lights going on and off at the wrong times has been causing this type of road rage to be aimed at me and I feel it is putting me and my passengers in danger. In addition, I am unable to use my cruise control on the car due to the rear brake lights malfunction. I feel this problem with the brake lights is seriously dangerous and could easily cause an accident by sending the wrong signals to drivers who are driving behind this vehicle.

- Crown Point, IN, USA

May 012013

Driving on thehighway with the cruise on. The cruise control shut off and brake lights were illuminated withouth depressing the brake pedal. When the brake pedal was engaged the brake lights turned off. I have replaced the brake light switrch, fuses, added dieelectric grease to the nodes, removed the battery to reset the computer system. The problem will be fixed temporarily and then start again. This is incredibly unsafe. Please extend the recall to models newer than 2005. This is obviously a major issue that needs to be addressed before someone gets hurt. GM need to fix this issue with their vehicles.

- Longview, TX, USA

Feb 052013

One day, without any incident, the brake lights started acting up. When not applying brake, brake lights shine. When I hit the brake, the brake lights turn off. I have had the brake switch replaced and have had dielectric grease put on conductors. The problem went away for a few months and now is back to acting up. I have read many other posts and blogs about said problem and I cannot believe that GM and the NHTSA have not done something for models newer than the 2005 G6. Someone is going to get killed because of this faulty system. I want these problems fixed before someone gets seriously hurt because of the company's negligence.

- Mt. Pleasant, SC, USA

May 072013

G6 6-cyl

I was driving down the highway with my cruise control on when it randomly turned off. The light was still on that shows that cruise control is ready to be on but it would not come back on and has been on and off since. The cruise control no longer works. My brake lights also have been acting up. While I drive without applying pressure to the brakes, the brake lights are on, but when I go to stop, they turn off.

- Boise, ID, USA

Nov 142012

G6 6-cyl

Brake lights, including the third brake light, appear to be illuminating when the brake is not applied and not illuminating when the brake is applied. They appear to be working opposite than intended. Also, cruise control disengages intermittently and cannot be reset until after the car is turned off and started again. I have replaced the wiring harness for both headlamps because the connectors overheated and caused headlamps to fail. The brake light may cause me to have an accident and will most certainly cause me to fail the state inspection. I don't understand why a further recall has not been issued other than the 2005 models. Obviously the problem is across the entire product line of G6's.

- N Chesterfield, VA, USA

Oct 042012

2007 Pontiac G6, followed wife home noticed that her brake lights where always on except when she was slowing down. They appear to be the opposite way they should be..very dangerous!!!

- Rochester Hills, MI, USA

Apr 182013

G6 6-cyl

The service ESC light came on, brake lights failed along with disabling the stability track, and cruise control.

- Rockford, MN, USA

Jan 152013

G6 6-cyl

Approximately 4 months ago my traction control light would come on randomly. After car would be shut off the warning light would go away after I re-started the vehicle. Did not think to much of it due to it being winter and thought the road conditions were causing it. Since the weather has cleared I noticed when driving on the interstate with my cruise on all of a sudden my cruise would shut off and could not get it to go back on, and again the service traction light came on until I shut off my car. Could not use my cruise at all. It wasn't till recently that someone on the road flagged me down and said that when I am driving the brake lights were on and when I brake they went out. Not good. Talked with the dealership and they said it was the brake light switch. Had that replaced but did not even fix the problem for a day. Next day the entire process started over and I am still have problems with the brakes on when I am depressing the gas and going out when I hit the brakes. Did some research and have found my other people have this same problem. I feel this should be a recall!!!! asap this is an accident waiting to happen. I also read that the BCM has fixed this problem for some but also need to be re calibrated after the part it replaced. I am going to try this and see what happens, don't really like driving my car in this condition. I hope that with all the complaints I have read on this something will be done before the accidents start happening.

- Sheboygan, WI, USA

Aug 022010

G6 6-cyl

While driving on interstate cruise control disengaged.also, brake lights come on when I'm not pressing brakes and go off when brakes are applied.

- Prairieville , LA, USA

Jan 142013

Brake lights stay on intermittently when the brake pedal is not depressed, while at the same time the cruise control does not operate. The brake lamp switch was replaced, which did not resolve the problem.

- Hilliard, OH, USA

Aug 152011

G6 6-cyl

My Pontiac G6 has had an exterior lighting issue since August of 2012. Pontiac will not help me fix this. The brake lights do not work when you press the pedal and turn on without the pedal being pressed. My cruise control no longer works period. A GM technician looked at my car and could not find anything that he could do to fix it. When he used the tech 2 tool, he would try and turn one tail light on and the opposite would turn on instead. Pontiac will not even look at my car at any dealer for free. They want me to pay and maybe get reimbursed for it. I have many issues with my car but this is the worst. My panoramic sun roof leaks and makes a ton of noise while I drive. The sun shade fell off on it as well.

- Goodrich , MI, USA

Aug 242012

G6 6-cyl

Cruise control turns off mid driving sometimes, and at times doesn't work at all. Brake lights come on at random times and sometimes stay on while im driving. They turn off when I actually do push the brakes. The problem is constant and has happened many many times.

- Lansing, MI, USA

Jan 012011

The cruise control kicks off for no apparent reason. This happens all the time. We wanted to let you know because we read that the NHTSA is considering a recall on all 05 to 09 models. The turn signals also do not turn off automatically and I've heard this is a fairly common problem on these cars.

- Edgewood, KY, USA

Dec 052012

I have a 2007 Pontiac G6. I have been having issues with my brake lights coming on while I am accelerating and the brake lights go off when I brake putting me at higher risk for an accident. I have also experienced issues with having a hard time shifting out of park as well as my cruise control cuts off randomly for no reason and lastly I am also have a check airbag light that will not go off.

- Richton Park, IL, USA

Feb 192012

G6 4-cyl

While driving down the highway, I attempted to engage the cruise control, and it would not set. Later that evening, I noticed in my rear-view mirror that the brake lights were very bright while driving down the street. I tapped on the brake pedal, and the lights went out. A couple seconds later, the bright brake lights came back on. I tapped on the brake pedal again, and the bright brake lights went out. I pressed on the brake pedal again, but the brake lights did not come on. I have researched this problem on numerous auto forums and have found several different fixes for this issue. I believe that this is a serious safety issue because vehicles following my would not know if I have applied my brakes to slow down or stop.

- Crestview, FL, USA

Aug 232007

G6 4-cyl

Cruise control was active-on; windshield wiper was on 'fast pulse'; rain was moderate to heavy; road was hilly; event: When the cruise needed to decide to shift gears going up a hill the wipers stopped long enough for the rain to obscure all vision. The stopping was repeatable by setting up similar settings when the rain/road conditions allowed. This condition even occurred at 35 mph, with cruise on, with wiper fast pulse in light rain, again obscuring forward vision, on a much less hilly terrain. Discussions with GM at the time resulted in the statement that because GM or the dealer could not 'observe' the 'stoppage' that 'it did not occur.' Several attempts were made to get the information to the appropriate internal GM group but none responded. Since the condition occurred both in hilly/mountain terrain and in hilly city terrain it seems that it would be an important issue to resolve -- due to the lack of forward vision at the time of occurrence.

- Sterling Heights, MI, USA

Aug 232007

G6 6-cyl

Situation: The G6 was on cruise control at about 50 mph, the road was in Vermont hills/mountains, the weather was raining -- from light to an increasing intensity. The wipers were turned on to the low pulse setting, and as the rain intensity increased the pulse frequency was increased one step at a time. When the pulse was at its fastest, and the G6 was proceeding up an incline and the cruise logic was in the process of deciding to shift gears, the windshield wipers stopped enough to obscure all vision. This condition repeated itself until I changed the pulse setting to constant. Then, again, but this time in West lafayette traveling from the main road North out of town up route 443 between route 43 and 52 on cruise at 35 mph in a rain with the wipers on fast pulse the wipers stopped and vision was obscured. Sooo, the hill/incline does not have to be 'mountainous' or very long in duration. The dealer in vt suggested I should just put it on constant pulse to avoid the issue -- duh. The dealer in Michigan attempted to replicate the condition but city traffic, etc. Prohibited the 'experiment'. the GM customer relations contacts simply kept telling me that the condition 'did not exist' because it could not be replicated -- which was the same as calling me a liar. Duh. Yet the GM cr would not allow me to discuss the issue with anyone involved with the vehicle design or build -- because "it could not be duplicated" yet I duplicated the vt occurrence in Illinois in different terrain. Since the 'hill' in West lafayette is very typical of hills in most of the states in the usa it is likely that anyone driving in the conditions noted would experience the same result. Yet, no one in GM will sit and discuss this at a functional level. When the wiper stops and no one can see out the front windshield, whether traveling at 50 or 35 mph the condition is very critical and a serious accident can occur. I have been trying to discuss this frequently since it occurred.

- Sterling Heights, MI, USA

Jan 282010

G6 4-cyl

I have an 07 G6 that is having the same issues with brake lights, cruise, and shifting out of park that the 05-06 G6's are. We've had the brake switch changed twice and it hasn't fixed the problem. Even with the brake switch unplugged the brake lights stay on.

- Noble, OK, USA

Aug 012010

I have a problem that intermittently affects different aspects of the vehicle. The brakes lights will not operate properly. When the issues occurs the vehicle is very difficult to shift out of park. The brake lights will all be on with no pressure on the brake pedal. When the brake pedal is depressed the brake lights will go out. Basically working in reverse. When pressure is applied to the gas pedal the brake lights will come back on. The cruise control will not operate when the issue is occurring. Sometimes the issue can be resolved by stopping the vehicle, turn off the vehicle and restart. The issue will also just begin while the vehicle is in motion and may just as suddenly quit while the vehicle is in motion. There are no warning lights on the dash to indicate the issue is occurring. Only at night, in a dark environment, are you able to know the issue is occurring because of the ability to see the center brake light is light. During the daylight, or city light environment, the non-functioning cruise is the only indication of the problem. Improperly functioning brake lights is a high safety concern for me. When the issue is not occurring all brake lights are working properly as is the cruise control. Internet search indicates this is a common problem with this vehicle.

- Shawnee, KS, USA

Mar 022008

March 2008 my car started not responding properly with my throttle pedal position. I took it to 2 car dealers under warranty to have it repaired. While in stop and go traffic the car will accelerate on it's own. It has traveled in excess of 35 mph on it's own - I usually shift the car to nuetral to get it to stop. As of July 1 / 2008 the dealer has all but given up repairing this problem. I now have parked the car because it is unsafe to drive and hired a attorny to fight GM to repair or refund my money for this car.

- Rockford, MI, USA