NHTSA — Fuel/Propulsion System Problems

2007 Pontiac G6 (Page 3 of 3)

CarComplaints.com Seal Of This Might Hurt

CarComplaints.com Notes: Unfortunately the 2007 Pontiac G6 continues a serious trend of steering problems from the prior model year.

2.2

2007 Pontiac G6 fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Pontiac G6:

2007 Pontiac G6 Owner Comments (Page 3 of 3)

Sep 152012

G6 6-cyl

I noticed a fuel smell from the inside of the car, the car also would not start on first attempt, it almost always started on second attempt, notice fuel dripping from fuel pump/tank/line just in front of passenger side rear tire, I live in las vegas, nv a hot weather state, looked online found a recall regarding this issue in hot weather states with other GM vehicles, took it to the dealer, and they want $984 for parts and labor. Obviously this is a common problem and a recall should address it, it is a very dangerous situation.

- Las Vegas , NV, USA

Jan 012013

G6

The contact owns a 2007 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that the vehicle emitted a strong gasoline fuel odor while parked or when being driven. The vehicle was taken to a mechanic, who inspected the fuel tank and located the failure as the fuel line being fractured. The contact was advised that the fuel assembly needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure and current mileage was 52,000.

- Madera , CA, USA

Feb 192013

G6

My car started to be slow to turn on and would crank. At the same time I would notice a smell of gasoline from the rear of my vehicle. The smell of the raw gasoline was very apparent when the car would sit in my garage. The slow starting of the car became worse and worse. I read about similar issues with a recall on the Pontiac G5 model fuel pumps. I took it to a certified GM service shop and they indicated it was a crack in the fuel pump causing leaking of gasoline. This is very alarming as it is a fire hazard. The cost to fix was approximately $1100.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Nov 152012

G6

The contact owns a 2007 Pontiac G6. While parked, the contact noticed a strong gasoline fuel odor around the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnostic testing. The mechanic stated that a fuel hose that was connected to the fuel tank was leaking fuel. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 146,000.

- Naples, FL, USA

Oct 252012

G6 6-cyl

Leaking gas from top of gas tank on to a hot muffler. After reviewing info there are over 300 similar issues on these cars! why and GM issued recalls on all other models with the same fuel tank designs? please help this is very dangerous.

- Albuquerque , NM, USA

Jul 112012

G6

In June of 2012, the vehicle did not start properly, it had a long crank. Then I started noticing a fuel smell in my garage after the vehicle was parked. The odor got worse and was apparent when just sitting. I had the vehicle inspected, due the strong odor. The gas tank was dropped and it was determined the plastic part on the fuel pump was cracked. The exact replacement part was unavailble at this time; due to a problem with the part. So the dealership sold my mechanic a more expensive pump, one that included repair for the odometer. At least that is what was explained to me.the total cost was $988.88. I have the cracked fuel pump in my garage. I have contacted GM to no avail.

- Palm Desert, CA, USA

Sep 122012

G6 6-cyl

I live in Arizona, and I was driving and there was a very potent smell of gasoline coming through my A/C vents, very hazardous to my health, also could be a potential fire hazard. I did noticed that this is a common issue in the 2007 Pontiac G5.

- Somerton, AZ, USA

Oct 052012

G6 4-cyl

There is a fuel leak that is coming from the tank and flows onto the rear exhaust system. After removal of the tank, after GM care said there was nothing that they could do, out of warranty. I found out that it migh be leaking from the oring between the fuel pump and tank. While waiting for the parts to arrive later this week (oring and locking cam), I did some research and seen numerous post and a high failure rate of a plastic gas that supplies fuel to the engine, so I am assuming that this could be culprit and a dangerous and expensive problem since to replace this you have to replace the complete fuel pump assembly. This needs to be addressed to GM as a possible fire hazard and a recall in place to save lives!!

- Dayton, TN, USA

Jun 122012

G6 6-cyl

6/11/12; when starting auto, long crank, got battery replaced, but noticed a fuel smell in the garage. On 7/12/2012, after continued problems with starting car and increased fuel smell in garage, vehicle was taken to hilles union 76 and allowed to sit overnight. It would only have crank problem after sitting for awhile. Mechanic noticed severe fuel odor and requested to drop gas tank due to possible fuel leak. The fuel pump was found to have a crack in the plastic piece in the center. Hilles union 76 ordered the fuel pump from jessup motors in cathedral city, ca. Part was replaced. The cost of replacement & labor was $988. I went to the indio GM and spoke with the service manager about this part. It made no sense that a fuel pump would go out on a vehicle with 45,000 miles on it! he told me, "it was normal". I did not believe that and had full intention of contacting GM with this complaint. So I kept the cracked fuel pump!to this point GM is not agreeing that this vehicle is part of recall, it clearly is.

- Palm Desert, CA, USA

Sep 242012

G6 6-cyl

My son noticed a smell of gas coming from his car. When I went out to look at it I could smell it also. It seemed to be coming from the rear of the car but I could not see anything and it seemed to dissipate as time went on that evening. I just assumed it came from the filler tube somehow maybe after a turn. The next day when he got home from work I was in the driveway when he pulled in and the smell was very strong and still seemed to be coming from the rear area of the car. We jacked both sides of the rear up and that?S when we saw gas run out of the protective plate that surrounds the bottom of the gas tank. Further inspection revealed the leak was coming from a plastic elbow that comes out of the fuel pump that feeds gas to the engine. You could also see where the fuel had been spraying on the muffler which is located behind the gas tank assembly. This very easily could a serious fire if we had not located this as quickly as we did. I am to understand that this is the same fuel pump design as the 2007 G5 that has the exact same problem with that plastic elbow cracking and spraying fuel. This should be an immediate safety recall before someone gets hurt.

- Fort Worth , TX, USA

Sep 302012

G6 6-cyl

Why was the 2007 G6 not included in the new recall by GM for several models including the 2007 Pontiac G5 for a serious fuel leak problem" the G6 has the same fuel tank and line that is cracking in the vehicles recalled and our G6 smells of gasoline so bad we cannot park it in the garage and fuel constantly is dripping from the tank. Several forums list this problem and numerous complaints with the G6 year 2007 and up. Here is just one: www.G6ownersclub.com/forum/showthread.php"T=12371 just do a search for "forum G6 gas tank leak" and you will find more complaints. Local dealer wants over $2000 to replace the tank, pump and lines and we read that it does not cure the problem when others have had this work performed. (dealer installs the same plastic line that will crack in the heat and they refuse to fix just the line, stating the entire tank must be replaced) just what are we to do when GM does not fix a know dangerous problem" and just why did this recall not include the G6? and why does our fabulous government who bailed out GM not make them fix know defects"

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Aug 202012

G6

Car's key felt stuck one day and made the card do a "hard" start where the ignition didn't kick over right away. Noticed right after ignition problem there was a strong smell of gas once car was shut off. Smell continued to just get stronger and stronger over the course of a week. There is now an intoxicating smell of gas fumes that surround the car when parked. Cannot park in garage any longer in fear that the fumes will ignite with our gas water heater which is also housed in the garage. Three year old daughter feels light headed and nauseated when getting in the car now, and can no longer use it although it is our only vehicle. It goes into the dealership tomorrow despite not having any warranty. Although it has not been confirmed yet, I am sure it is the same problem others are having with the cracked piece above the gas tank. I cannot believe that this has not been a recall yet, because this is a serious matter. I would imagine it is just a matter of time before someone's G6 ignites and causes a huge fire and explosion!

- Jamestown, CA, USA