NHTSA — Fuel/Propulsion System Problems

2007 Pontiac G6 (Page 1 of 3) Seal Of This Might Hurt Notes: Unfortunately the 2007 Pontiac G6 continues a serious trend of steering problems from the prior model year.

2007 Pontiac G6 fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Pontiac G6:

2007 Pontiac G6 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Aug 292016

The contact owns a 2007 Pontiac G6. While the tires were being changed, the mechanic noticed that the fuel pump was leaking. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 72,000.

- Kennewck, WA, USA

Aug 222016

Strong gas odor from car while car in running and after car is stopped. Check engine light codep0446 emission system vent solenoid replacement via auto zone code system reader. Gas found sitting on top of gas tank.

- Desoto, TX, USA

Dec 212012

I have attempted to speak to the dealer I purchased this car from and have been unsuccessful. I have an engine oil leak, gas leak, and I am not able to turn my wheel left or right as something is and has been going on with my powersteering. I have paid for repairs but have been pushed off and given the run around about all that I have said. My car is and has been unsafe to drive and now I do not know what to do as it has gotten terribly worse. I have been advised that all recalls were done (by the dealer), and other sources have advised me they could not have been done with the problems that I am been having and that I am currently having.

- Katy, TX, USA

Jun 032016

When I visited a reputable brake shop for a brake check, it was discovered that my vehicle had a gasoline leak near the exhaust pipe. I took my vehicle to another brake shop which dropped my gasoline tank, only to discover that my vehicle had a leaky fuel pump. Before this brake shop worked on my vehicle, the mechanic told me that he was almost sure that the fuel pump had been recalled. I proceeded to go to brian harris Chevrolet, where the service manager checked my VIN number, only to inform me that my VIN number did not have a recall on the fuel pump. I was told that General Motors would reimburse me for the fuel pump replacement, even if it was not replaced at a dealership, if the fuel pump might be recalled in the future. I went back to the other facility for the fuel pump replacement as a result. I looked on the internet and found out that General Motors had recalled Pontiac G6's for the model years 2004-2008. My vehicle had been smelling of gasoline for awhile when stationary and I did not know why. My engine light came on about one month prior, where I had a fuel sensor code pulled. About one week later the engine light went off. My leaking fuel pump was only discovered about one month later, only because I happened to go get my brakes checked.

- Baton Rouge, LA, USA

Feb 142014

I have had my car checked out twice for check engine light and replaced gas cap. The light remains on and I still smell gas thats not safe...please help!!

- Point Blank, TX, USA

Nov 272015

Vehicle has a strong gas smell emitting from the passenger side and rear of the vehicle, regardless of if it is turned on or off. There is no visible leakage but the odor is strong enough to notice anywhere in a 5 foot radius of the vehicle. Many similar reports reference a hairline crack that forms over time in the plastic elbow connecting the fuel pump above the gas tank. The repair and replacement costs appear to be between $700 and $900 and the vehicle only has 47,000 miles. This issue is very concerning as I cannot park the car in my garage for fear of the gas smell building up. It seems like a common enough issue in the Pontiac G6 that GM should take responsibility for this dangerous flaw in their fuel pump module.

- Arlington, VA, USA

Apr 152016

The contact owns a 2007 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that the vehicle emitted a fuel odor inside and around the vehicle. In addition, the air bag light remained illuminated and a beeping noise was present. The vehicle was taken to a certified independent mechanic where it was diagnosed, but the cause of the failure could not be determined. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 122,910.

- Littlerock, AR, USA

Dec 012015

There is fuel leaking from the top of the fuel tank, and will have to remove the fuel tank to see exactly where the fuel is leaking from. This condition exists when the car is running, parked or driving

- Visalia, CA, USA

Nov 202012

The car has been leaking engine oil and gas from the beginning and I have gotten no response, feedback. All I have been given was a constant repair list most of wich should have been done. I have had this car checked by several mechanics and they have told me from the beginning that my engine is leaking possible gaskets and leak somewhere in fuel pump. Rhodes auto sales as well as GM has given me a run for my life. Until recently have a friend gave me a carfax on this car that should not have been sold and being told how dangerous it's been for me to drive this car. Not sure of the exact purchase date but these problems have been since the beginning.

- Katy, TX, USA

Jul 142015

The contact owns a 2007 Pontiac G6. While driving approximately 15 mph, the accelerator pedal was depressed without a response. The vehicle unintentionally accelerated in a jerking motion. The failure recurred whenever the vehicle was in operation. The contact also mentioned that a strong fuel odor emitted inside the vehicle near the rear seats and trunk area. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unavailable. Updated 05/17/16

- Walthourville, GA, USA

Dec 012015

Car smells like gas when driving and when parked. It also smells like gas when it's off.

- Biloxi, MS, USA

Nov 182015

We have been having trouble with car since we purchased it about a year or two ago we financed our threw browns auto world fayetteville, nc and since then we have trouble with the air bag light randomly coming and shutting off are brakes were put on backwards we also had alot of trouble with acceleration of the car you could only get up to a certain speed of the car before it began to shake, the end result being the camshaft sensor, and brakes. We have also had a situation with the fuel pump which a mechanic said was very weak from the begining. We have recieved several recalls on the car but everytime we took it GM motors they looked up the VIN and said our was fine but it matched was written on the recalls so my question is where do I go from here" what is my next step"

- Fayetteville, NC, USA

Sep 102015

The contact owns a 2007 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that there was a strong fuel odor emitting from outside of the vehicle to the inside. The contact also noticed fuel leaking under the front of the vehicle. The vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 09V419000 ( fuel system, gasoline). The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 65,000.

- Memphis, TN, USA

Jul 162015

I want to know how to get a letter regarding a recall on my vehicle. I went to and my vehicle was listed as having recalls.

- Lake Worth, FL, USA

Aug 212015

There was no incident. I'm just smelling gas and my car isn't starting on the first turn like before. As I was doing my research, I came across the recall on the fuel pump. I also received a notice about a recall 13036 brake lamp malfunction as well as 14152 transmission shift cable fracture. I would like to know what action I need to take. I see the gas issue is a big concern.

- Balch Springs, TX, USA

Jun 282015

G6 6-cyl

While drive down the street the car was going 45 and just shut off in the middle of traffic. Upon trying to turn the car on after putting it in park the car would not turn back to connect to start back up. Had the car towed to a auto shop and they checked the car out and said that the fuel pump was pumping gas to start up the car.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

May 072015

My car just out the blue while I was driving stop tryin to pull while I was driving then it started cutting off.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Jan 122015

Strong smell of gasoline from right rear quarter outside of vehicle consistent with many reports online of failed fuel pump/filter module hose fittings/connections mounted into the top of the fuel tank. Suspicion is supported by 10% decline in fuel economy.

- Corona, CA, USA

Feb 012015

The contact owns a 2007 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that there was a fuel odor and noticed fuel leaking from the vehicle. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Zephyrhills , FL, USA

Apr 012015

Cracked 90 elbow on fuel pump, leaks fuel on top of tank and onto exhaust.

- Valley Center, CA, USA