NHTSA — Fuel/Propulsion System Problems

2007 Pontiac G6 (Page 1 of 3)

CarComplaints.com Seal Of This Might Hurt

CarComplaints.com Notes: Unfortunately the 2007 Pontiac G6 continues a serious trend of steering problems from the prior model year.

2.2

2007 Pontiac G6 fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Pontiac G6:

2007 Pontiac G6 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Jan 132017

G6

Strong odor of gasoline both inside and outside the vehicle. Very noticeable when driving and after exiting the car. Fuel leak traced to a cracked plastic elbow on top of the fuel pump assembly. Had a dealership install a new fuel pump.

- Surprise, AZ, USA

Dec 192016

G6

The contact owns a 2007 Pontiac G6. The contact smelled a fuel odor while driving the vehicle. The dealer diagnosed that the fuel pump needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 115,000.

- Antioch, CA, USA

Sep 072015

G6

The contact owns a 2007 Pontiac G6. The contact noticed strong fumes of fuel inside and outside the vehicle. The dealer diagnosed that there was a crack on the fuel pump above the fuel lines. The manufacturer indicated that the vehicle was excluded from a manufacturer recall. The manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was not available.

- Odessa, TX, USA

Nov 112016

G6

Strong fuel/gas odor coming from car when driving and more so when it is turned off and parked in a garage. This seems to be a potential safety hazard, in that a fire could develop. I have noted that there have been many complaints on this issue. I feel GM should provide a free repair. The car has 58000 miles. Included document does not include my 2007 Pontiac G6 and it should.

- Mason, OH, USA

Oct 072016

G6

Fuel smell overwhelming in garage

- El Campo, TX, USA

Oct 252016

G6

Strong smell of gasoline, can not park in garage it is so strong

- El Campo, TX, USA

Oct 142016

G6

Strong fuel smell coming from rear of vehicle. This appears to be related to the plastic elbow GM used in the fuel pump assembly. This is a significant safety hazard. Research shows this is is a known issue with 2007 G5 models and other GM vehicles and have active recalls in place. There are several NHTSA complaints for this problem and same model/year vehicle as mine. Contacted GM and they refuse to take any action at this time. The dealer cost to repair this manufacturer defect is approximately $800. This is totally unacceptable that GM is not acknowledging this issue and is refusing to take action. Is this going to remain open until there is a fatality caused by this known issue?

- Glendale, AZ, USA

Aug 292016

G6

The contact owns a 2007 Pontiac G6. While the tires were being changed, the mechanic noticed that the fuel pump was leaking. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 72,000...updated 10/18/16

- Kennewck, WA, USA

Aug 222016

G6

Strong gas odor from car while car in running and after car is stopped. Check engine light codep0446 emission system vent solenoid replacement via auto zone code system reader. Gas found sitting on top of gas tank.

- Desoto, TX, USA

Dec 212012

G6

I have attempted to speak to the dealer I purchased this car from and have been unsuccessful. I have an engine oil leak, gas leak, and I am not able to turn my wheel left or right as something is and has been going on with my powersteering. I have paid for repairs but have been pushed off and given the run around about all that I have said. My car is and has been unsafe to drive and now I do not know what to do as it has gotten terribly worse. I have been advised that all recalls were done (by the dealer), and other sources have advised me they could not have been done with the problems that I am been having and that I am currently having.

- Katy, TX, USA

Jun 032016

G6

When I visited a reputable brake shop for a brake check, it was discovered that my vehicle had a gasoline leak near the exhaust pipe. I took my vehicle to another brake shop which dropped my gasoline tank, only to discover that my vehicle had a leaky fuel pump. Before this brake shop worked on my vehicle, the mechanic told me that he was almost sure that the fuel pump had been recalled. I proceeded to go to brian harris Chevrolet, where the service manager checked my VIN number, only to inform me that my VIN number did not have a recall on the fuel pump. I was told that General Motors would reimburse me for the fuel pump replacement, even if it was not replaced at a dealership, if the fuel pump might be recalled in the future. I went back to the other facility for the fuel pump replacement as a result. I looked on the internet and found out that General Motors had recalled Pontiac G6's for the model years 2004-2008. My vehicle had been smelling of gasoline for awhile when stationary and I did not know why. My engine light came on about one month prior, where I had a fuel sensor code pulled. About one week later the engine light went off. My leaking fuel pump was only discovered about one month later, only because I happened to go get my brakes checked.

- Baton Rouge, LA, USA

Feb 142014

G6

I have had my car checked out twice for check engine light and replaced gas cap. The light remains on and I still smell gas thats not safe...please help!!

- Point Blank, TX, USA

Nov 272015

G6

Vehicle has a strong gas smell emitting from the passenger side and rear of the vehicle, regardless of if it is turned on or off. There is no visible leakage but the odor is strong enough to notice anywhere in a 5 foot radius of the vehicle. Many similar reports reference a hairline crack that forms over time in the plastic elbow connecting the fuel pump above the gas tank. The repair and replacement costs appear to be between $700 and $900 and the vehicle only has 47,000 miles. This issue is very concerning as I cannot park the car in my garage for fear of the gas smell building up. It seems like a common enough issue in the Pontiac G6 that GM should take responsibility for this dangerous flaw in their fuel pump module.

- Arlington, VA, USA

Apr 152016

G6

The contact owns a 2007 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that the vehicle emitted a fuel odor inside and around the vehicle. In addition, the air bag light remained illuminated and a beeping noise was present. The vehicle was taken to a certified independent mechanic where it was diagnosed, but the cause of the failure could not be determined. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 122,910.

- Littlerock, AR, USA

Dec 012015

G6

There is fuel leaking from the top of the fuel tank, and will have to remove the fuel tank to see exactly where the fuel is leaking from. This condition exists when the car is running, parked or driving

- Visalia, CA, USA

Nov 202012

G6

The car has been leaking engine oil and gas from the beginning and I have gotten no response, feedback. All I have been given was a constant repair list most of wich should have been done. I have had this car checked by several mechanics and they have told me from the beginning that my engine is leaking possible gaskets and leak somewhere in fuel pump. Rhodes auto sales as well as GM has given me a run for my life. Until recently have a friend gave me a carfax on this car that should not have been sold and being told how dangerous it's been for me to drive this car. Not sure of the exact purchase date but these problems have been since the beginning.

- Katy, TX, USA

Jul 142015

G6

The contact owns a 2007 Pontiac G6. While driving approximately 15 mph, the accelerator pedal was depressed without a response. The vehicle unintentionally accelerated in a jerking motion. The failure recurred whenever the vehicle was in operation. The contact also mentioned that a strong fuel odor emitted inside the vehicle near the rear seats and trunk area. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unavailable. Updated 05/17/16

- Walthourville, GA, USA

Dec 012015

G6

Car smells like gas when driving and when parked. It also smells like gas when it's off.

- Biloxi, MS, USA

Nov 182015

G6

We have been having trouble with car since we purchased it about a year or two ago we financed our threw browns auto world fayetteville, nc and since then we have trouble with the air bag light randomly coming and shutting off are brakes were put on backwards we also had alot of trouble with acceleration of the car you could only get up to a certain speed of the car before it began to shake, the end result being the camshaft sensor, and brakes. We have also had a situation with the fuel pump which a mechanic said was very weak from the begining. We have recieved several recalls on the car but everytime we took it GM motors they looked up the VIN and said our was fine but it matched was written on the recalls so my question is where do I go from here" what is my next step"

- Fayetteville, NC, USA

Sep 102015

G6

The contact owns a 2007 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that there was a strong fuel odor emitting from outside of the vehicle to the inside. The contact also noticed fuel leaking under the front of the vehicle. The vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 09V419000 ( fuel system, gasoline). The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 65,000.

- Memphis, TN, USA