NHTSA — Steering Problems

2007 Pontiac G6 (Page 16 of 19)

CarComplaints.com Seal Of This Might Hurt

CarComplaints.com Notes: Unfortunately the 2007 Pontiac G6 continues a serious trend of steering problems from the prior model year.

2007 Pontiac G6 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Pontiac G6:

2007 Pontiac G6 Owner Comments (Page 16 of 19)

Dec 222008

G6

Upon starting vehicle, after making first turn, power steering goes out. Usually occurs during cold weather. Power steering may return momentarily after car is shut off and restarted.

- Dekalb, IL, USA

Nov 152010

G6

The contact owns a 2007 Pontiac G6. While reversing less than 5 mph, the contact heard a clunking noise. The contact also noticed that the bottom of the steering wheel was at the top; the steering became difficult as well. The steering wheel made a 360 degree turn but the tires had not moved. The contact called the manufacturer who advised her to take the vehicle to an authorized dealer. The vehicle had not been inspected or repaired. The failure mileage was 44,710 and the current mileage was 44,723.

- Avon Lake, OH, USA

Nov 062010

G6

I bought a brand new 2008 Pontiac G6 base model 4 door 2.4L. At less than 20,000 miles I started getting brake problems. I brought it into the dealership and they told me that I needed the brakes turned and grinned. I refused to let them do that because other Pontiac G6 owners have complained about the same issues and when they got theirs turned and grinned the same problems with the brakes occurred thereafter. Now (@24,000) I have warped brakes, worn out pads, and a defective worn out I-shaft(steering rod). I brought my car in to the dealership last week, they replaced one of the rotors in the rear, replaced all pads and grinned and turned the rest of the rotors. They claimed my car was fixed but the second I drove out of the dealership the same warping noise was apparent coming from the brakes when I hit my brakes and also when the car was in motion. I was still hearing the clunking noise coming from the steering column. I have done extensive research and found that many americans around are experiencing the same issues with their brakes and I-shaft. This is a serious concern because last week at one point when I hit my brakes my car was not stopping. I kept hitting it and finally it gave in. This is a serious safety concern and Pontiac/GM needs to do something about it before they get the same problems Toyota customers have gone through! view website to view customers experiencing the same problems.(M.topix.com/forum/autos/Pontiac-G6/tg830thjsjtp9bl0T) please do not ignore this complaint..this is a serious issue! do not wait until someone loses their life to this problem. Let's enforce GM to recall this model and car so many americans can stop dishing out hundreds of dollars to fix problems with this car that continues to be a problem once fixed! thank you

- Framingham, MA, USA

Nov 062010

G6

I bought a brand new 2008 Pontiac G6 base model 4 door 2.4L. At less than 20,000 miles I started getting brake problems. I brought it into the dealership and they told me that I needed the brakes turned and grinned. I refused to let them do that because other Pontiac G6 owners have complained about the same issues and when they got theirs turned and grinned the same problems with the brakes occurred thereafter. Now (@24,000) I have warped brakes, worn out pads, and a defective worn out I-shaft(steering rod). I brought my car in to the dealership last week, they replaced one of the rotors in the rear, replaced all pads and grinned and turned the rest of the rotors. They claimed my car was fixed but the second I drove out of the dealership the same warping noise was apparent coming from the brakes when I hit my brakes and also when the car was in motion. I was still hearing the clunking noise coming from the steering column. I have done extensive research and found that many americans around are experiencing the same issues with their brakes and I-shaft. This is a serious concern because last week at one point when I hit my brakes my car was not stopping. I kept hitting it and finally it gave in. This is a serious safety concern and Pontiac/GM needs to do something about it before they get the same problems Toyota customers have gone through! view website below to view customers experiencing the same problems. Please do not ignore this complaint..this is a serious issue! do not wait until someone loses their life to this problem. Let's enforce GM to recall this model and car so many americans can stop dishing out hundreds of dollars to fix problems with this car that continues to be a problem once fixed! thank you

- Framingham, MA, USA

Oct 262010

G6 4-cyl

I turned into a gas station and the steering locked up on my 2007 Pontiac G6 4 cylinder on Oct 26 2010. The steering was replaced after we used what little we had in savings. Believing that the problem was solved I drove it 15 miles into town and the steering locks up again. We cannot afford to fix it and it has sat in the shop for two weeks. We were surprised to find out this is a major problem when we looked on line and saw there were so many others that are having the same problem their G6 cars. Surely this is a recall. It is definitely a safety issue.

- Texarkana, AR, USA

Nov 102010

G6 4-cyl

I own a 2007 Pontiac G6 (bought as new in July 2007). The steering column is making very load clunking noises when turned at a stop or at low speeds. I am very concerned that the steering will fail while driving. I am also disappointed (to put it mildly) that despite this problem being very common among other owners of the same vehicle and having read 100's of the same complaint that GM has not issued a recall on the steering box problem. I know the us government (aka the taxpayer!) owns GM via bailout and I'm sure they don't want the negative publicity of the auto-maker having to fix a design flaw, but you are dealing with lives here. If there are fatalities due to not fixing the problem, do you think that publicity will be any less severe (assuming it ever gets reported). Please, force GM to repair this known defect before someone gets killed!

- Roy, UT, USA

May 042010

G6

The contact owns a 2007 Pontiac G6. While turning approximately 10 mph he heard a loud knocking noise and felt a jerk in the steering wheel. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where he was informed that this was a common failure among the vehicle but it was not repaired. The failure continued to occur intermittently while making a left or right turn. The failure mileage was 59,000 and the current mileage was 61,000.

- Shawnee, OK, USA

G6

I have been receiving power steering warnings on my dash so I could my car to the dealer. The dealer told me that the power steering assist motor with column needs to be replaced and the cost would $1200. Why isn't a recall on the 2007 G6 because it is the same problem that 2006 has" I don't know what I am going to do because I'm on a fixed income and can't afford that. Again I would like to know why there is not a recall" Pontiac knew that 2007 had the same problem that the 2006 has.

Oct 262010

G6 4-cyl

Power steering no place to put fluid in vehicle went out have no control of vehicle. Pontiac G6 2007 very scary no control of vehicle called Pontiac to see if there was a recall or where do I put fluid for steering in at they said it is electronically steering god bless people who don't know this info and they are driving and that happens angels were with me.. coggin Pontiac said it is not under warranty at 58,103 miles 3 yrs old wow.very scary when you get in your vehicle you pray and hope it does what it is supposed to do I started crying cause I had no control thank god I was not going fast and no vehicles were around.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Oct 022010

G6 4-cyl

My daughter purchased a 2007 Pontiac G6 with 24,000 miles on it and it now has 39,000 miles. Sometime within those 13,000 miles it has developed a clunking noise whenever the steering wheel is turned most noticeably at low speeds. I have pinpointed the noise to be coming from the steering box or steering shaft. I am afraid that this will lead to steering control failure if this problem is not corrected soon. I am aware that many other people are experiencing the same problem. Please have GM issue a recall on this year model Pontiac G6 as soon as possible.

- Johnstown, PA, USA

Sep 292010

G6

I have a Pontiac 2007 G6 the other day while driving the power steering locked up and I went into a very swallow ditch. I was not hurt and the car was not damaged, however if it would have been the canal on the other side of the road I would have been kill. All my fluids are check and change on a regular basis and there are no leaks. This is definitely a manufacture error and needs to be look and this will be a very expensive fix and I am not fixing it my self. Nor am I going to pay to have fix when the manufacture should pay to fix it. There should never be a problem with a vehicle while it is in motion at any time no matter what year or make !! please look into this matter I could have been kill do to a defect and this problem needs to be fix now !!!!!!!!!

- Lake Charles, LA, USA

Sep 102010

G6

1. I bought a Pontiac G6 less than two months ago. 2. about 1 month ago I started hearing and feeling a clunking sound coming from the steering wheel, column or steering rack.

- Perrysburg, OH, USA

Apr 012010

G6

The contact owns a 2007 Pontiac G6. While driving approximately 65 mph, the steering wheel suddenly felt stiff. The contact pulled over and shut off the ignition. Upon restart, the vehicle operated normally. The failure occurred intermittently while the contact was driving at any speed; during some of the failures, the power steering light illuminated on the instrument panel. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer who stated that there was nothing wrong with the vehicle and no repairs were performed. The failure mileage was approximately 23,000 and the current mileage was approximately 35,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Franklin, NH, USA

Aug 192010

G6

While driving home from work I completely lost steering capabilities. Fortunately, I was in front of my house so I veered into the ditch in my yard. Had this occurred while on the highway/road it could have been fatal. I immediately went to a local repair shop to have the vehicle repaired.

- Lehigh Acres, FL, USA

Mar 062010

G6

The contact owns a 2007 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that the power steering would continuously fail when pulling into a residential parking space or pulling out of a tight spot at low speed. The power steering would then reset itself once the vehicle was turned off and then restarted. The dealer recalibrated the power steering motor assembly and advised that the entire power steering motor assist would need to be replaced if the failure persisted. The manufacturer did not provide any assistance. The failure mileage was 36,500.

- Grapevine, TX, USA

Jun 052010

G6

Bought brand new 2007 Pontiac G6 in September of 2007. Called dealership complaint of brakes squealing around August 2009. Dealership stated it was due to metallic brakes pads and that it was normal for brakes to squeal. June 2010 out driving noticed steering column shakes at high speeds while slowing down and car was hard to stop. Stopped at nearest GM dealership shortly after. They stated it was due to me stopping to hard on the brakes over time and the rotors have warped due to the excessive heat. Noticed car is still hard to stop at regular driving speeds now. Took car back to dealership where I bought it to inspect and they told me it was my fault again and also it wasn't covered through my warranty due it being normal wear and tear. They didn't even inspect it.the car only has 24,000 miles on it now. It's still hard to stop and shakes horribly when slowing down at high speeds. Concerned for my safety, my child's safety, and other drivers safety.

- Nashville, TN, USA

Aug 182010

G6

The contact owns a 2007 Pontiac G6. The contact was driving 50-55 mph when the power steering light illuminated and the vehicle began beeping abnormally. The failure persisted intermittently. The dealer advised having a diagnostic performed on the vehicle to determine the cause of failure. The vehicle was neither diagnosed nor repaired. The failure mileage was 55,720 and the current mileage was 55,790.

- London, KY, USA

Jul 182010

G6

Driving down the I75 expressway in heavy rain speed at the time was approx 60 miles per hour, decided to get of at the next exit until the rain cooled down. I then turned by steering wheel slightly to the right to merge onto the exit lane when the car instantly started spinning out of control...spun 5-7 times on the highway and then hit the median with the right tail end. Upon impact the steering wheel along with part of the steering column snapped off into my lap with no air bag deployment. The steering wheel was in pulled right out and was now in my lap. The car is now in repair and I have requested the parts to be saved, the steering wheel is going to be replaced. I have contacted Pontiac and we had a discussion...but I don't think they understand what happened I have not heard a word from them since the discussion.

- Grand Blanc, MI, USA