NHTSA — Steering Problems

2007 Pontiac G6 (Page 15 of 19)

CarComplaints.com Seal Of This Might Hurt

CarComplaints.com Notes: Unfortunately the 2007 Pontiac G6 continues a serious trend of steering problems from the prior model year.

2007 Pontiac G6 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Pontiac G6:

2007 Pontiac G6 Owner Comments (Page 15 of 19)

Dec 152010

G6

The contact owns a 2007 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that when making turns at low speeds, he noticed a loud clunking noise. The vehicle was inspected by a dealer and they advised him that the steering rack and pinion needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was contacted and they offered no assistance. The failure mileage was approximately 31,000.

- Foresport, NY, USA

Aug 032007

G6 6-cyl

Reported clicking noise to dealership when making a sharp turn while backing up at 8355 miles - dealership checked - vehicle was operating within manufactures spec. At 13313 miles reported a clunking noise when steering during slow driving and turning - dealership replaced intermediate steering and lubed. At 24008 miles reported a clicking noise again - dealership could not find anything wrong. At 27987 miles reported clicking noise again - dealership lubed all points of the steering per GM. At 36041 miles reported clicking and popping noise - dealership replaced the power steering rack. The problem never went away and the warranty had expired. I am currently at 65000 miles and the clunking noise is getting louder, it can be felt thru the steering wheel, and can now be heard outside of the vehicle. What am I to do" no one seems be able to repair this problem and there are no recalls. Since this is a steering problem, isn't this a safety hazard"

- York, PA, USA

Sep 012011

G6 4-cyl

The steering on my car first started acting up so I took it to the dealership and they took forever to look at it. Finally they said that they were not exactly sure but that the instructions said to first fix the steering motor and then the problem should be resolved with just that. So I had the steering motor replaced on my car, which cost over $600 dollars to fix even though they claimed they were going to try to help me get a good deal. I had the motor fixed and within a week and a half or so the power steering was going out again. It would go out when I was driving and would not come back on when I would turn off and restart the car. It was very scary and dangerous to drive like that. It would go out at any given second and on turns. I took my car back to the dealership again and asked them to replace the motor again since it was under warranty but they would not do that because they said that I needed a steering column now. I had to have the steering column replaced because a sensor in the column had went out and this cost me more money. I was very upset because that could have been the problem all along and I could have had that fixed in the beginning and not risked my safety with driving around with a car that?S steering goes out. Also I could have saved money. I spent over $900 to get all of the steering replaced. I am a college student and I do not have money like that to be spending and the dealership should have gotten me a better deal like they made it sound like they were going to do. I bought my Pontiac because I needed a good, reliable car but the steering problem is a dangerous and costly one. The 2006 model of my car was recalled but they refused to take mine as a recall even though it was technically built in 2006. This is a serious problem and I would hope Pontiac GM would help out their customers with this problem.

- Las Cruces, NM, USA

Aug 112011

G6

The contact owns a 2007 Pontiac G6. When the contact turned the vehicle on and while driving, the steering wheel would lock intermittently. The manufacturer denied any assistance with repairs to the failure. The dealer diagnosed that the power steering motor and steering column needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 80,000.

- Byron, GA, USA

Jul 282011

G6 4-cyl

My power steering began to go out. At first it would just go out every three to four days and then it began to go out three to four times each time I drove it. It would go out when I was turning on the road while driving. I would have to put on my emergency blinkers, turn off my car, re-start it, and begin to drive again until it would go out again and I would have to do it all over again. It got to the point where I felt unsafe to drive my car so I had to get it fixed. I took it to the dealership and it cost me over six hundred dollars to fix the steering motor. It took the dealership over a week and a half to fix the problem when they said it would only take about three hours to put the new part in. I was without a car for that whole time and was also left to pay the large payment. GM did not offer much customer assistance in helping me to fix the problem and my warranty for the motor I had to purchase is only for 12,000 miles or one year. I am fearful that the part will go out again and I will have to pay yet another $600. There was a recall on the 2006 model of my car, and, although my car was made in July of 2006, GM refused to put my car on recall because they said that it was considered a 2006. I find this unfair and wrong. This is a major problem that could cause much harm. GM should be responsible for fixing the problem and also for helping out those people who had to fix the problem on their own. It is scary to have your power steering go out and the chance of getting into an accident because of it is a scary thought also.

- Las Cruces , NM, USA

Aug 052011

G6 4-cyl

My 2007 G6 is displaying an error message on odometer reading and power steering message on the radio. I suffer from panic attacks while driving, therefore there is not many miles on my vehicle. Less than 24K to be exact. I purchased this vehicle brand new. I am very concerned.

- Decatur, GA, USA

Jun 152009

G6

The contact owns a 2007 Pontiac G6. While driving approximately 25 mph, the steering began pulling to one side. The steering wheel also began shaking and would lock sporadically. The check engine and check power steering warning lights were illuminated. The failure would occur at various speeds intermittently and progressively worsened. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for diagnostics or repairs. The approximate failure mileage was 26,000.

- Lexington, KY, USA

Jul 202009

G6

I purchased a brand new 2007 Pontiac G6 in 2008. The passenger side airbag light is always on. I had to replace the brake pads at 20,000 miles and the brakes are still giving me problems. When I turn the steering wheel, the car makes a crackling, loud sound. The headlight plugger had to be replaced due to them being burned out. I am very unhappy with this car. I am a single mother and I am sorry I did not research this car beforehand. I would not recommend this car to anyone. I took the car to the dealer and the price they will charge to fix everything is too expensive for me.

- Thibodaux, LA, USA

May 012011

G6

Front end clunk/rattle/knock on bumps.

- Chester, VA, USA

May 202007

G6

I was just informed that my 2007 G6 requires a second new steering rack at 49900 miles. The first one was replace at 33000 miles. Now the warranty has expired and I have to pay $900 out of my pocket. The dealership makes no excuses for GM parts that only last 2 years and 17K miles. I have also had the same complaints as everyone else: Who owns this car: Brake squeaking and short life (rear brakes have been completely replaced twice), intermediate steering shaft, steering column problems, etc. I don't understand how GM can ignore all of these complaints, especially the ones regarding safety!

- Wenatchee, WA, USA

Feb 132011

G6

Clunking noise when turning vehicle. Car exhibits some jerking in steering while turning.

- Chesterton, IN, USA

Sep 122008

G6 4-cyl

I bought my 2007 Pontiac G6 in April 2007 by Sept 08 there was a steering issue that resulted in a new rack & pinion being put in by the dealership. Since then the car has had another rack & pinion replaced & a steering shaft replacement. Now it feels as if the same problem is occurring & the dealership nor GM motors wants to help because the car is out of warranty. I feel this is a ongoing issue that needs to be addressed with this year model car.

- Midlothian, VA, USA

Feb 012011

G6

Steering making popping noise and no power when making right turn, steering very unstable, car wanders all over the road and sometimes will lock up, dealer says needs steering gear and strut mount at a cost off $1300 dollars

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Jan 182011

G6

The contact owns a 2007 Pontiac G6. While driving approximately 5 mph, the steering wheel locked abnormally with the illumination of the power steering warning light. The contact stated that steering control was severely limited but she was able to drive to her place of residence using extreme bodily force. The dealer was contacted and advised that they would tow the vehicle in for testing. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 46,889.

- Clarkston, GA, USA

Aug 012010

G6 4-cyl

My car wheel has been locking up..and says I have no power steering. After research, every car for Pontiac G6 2005-2008 there has been this problem. It covered every year and skipped over mine! the wheel unlocks after hours time, but with no power steering and two small children its very scary on a highway. Especially if it unlocks in a turn. When I called Pontiac they wanted me to pay for service to be looked at and pay for the part, and I might possibly get my money back. From what I found out on the wheel, its a sensor and has to be replaced. As you know in this economic times, a part that's $500 is not in my budget. I thought I bought this car thinking it would be safe. And I know I am not the only Pontiac G6 owner who has had this problem. Please help me get a recall on this.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Jan 012011

G6 4-cyl

I was driving my 2007 Pontiac G6 when the steering wheel locked up. On my screen for my radio it said "power steering". thank goodness I was only going 10 mph in my driveway because I could not have controlled it if I was going faster. My daughter and boyfriend were in the car with me and it scared me because had I wrecked, my daughter may have suffered injuries. I am not driving my car until I get this problem fixed. I have called around and found that there is a recall on G4's and G5's but not G6's. I have read so many online forums about people having the same problems with their G6's. I think GM needs to step up and take responsibility of this before somebody seriously gets hurt. It is an expensive repair (about 1,000$) and with the economy the way it is people just do not have the money to fix that. I am so scared that I will cause a wreck because of my car being faulty and someone else may cause a wreck and run into me or my family because of their faulty G6. I am in the process of getting my car serviced but would really appreciate it if I found out how to get ahold of GM and ask them to fix my car because I have only had it for 6 months.

- Tipp City, OH, USA

Dec 182010

G6 4-cyl

2007 Pontiac G6, 77,000 miles. The steering wheel began to shake a lot. Then I notice when you slightly turn the wheel left or right it knocks. I have been receiving power steering warnings on my dash. When this happens I turn off the car and restart it, the problem goes away then restarts again. I don't know why the 2007 G6 was not on the recall list. I've notice a lot of other people on G6 car websites have had the same problem. Surely this is a recall. It is definitely a safety issue. I have a appointment to get my car looked at next week.

- Clovis, NM, USA

Dec 202010

G6

The contact owns a 2007 Pontiac G6. While driving approximately 60 mph the power steering failed. The vehicle became very difficult to steer and she attempted to engaged the hazard lights but they would not come on. All the lights on the dashboard illuminated. The vehicle began to accelerated, decreased speed and the rpms increased. The vehicle was towed to a local mechanic. The vehicle had not been checked by the mechanic when the complaint was filed. The VIN was unavailable. The failure and current mileages were 124,000.

- Corydon, IN, USA

Dec 152010

G6

Grinding noise comes from steering column when accelerating and turning at same time (I.e. turning from one road to another after stopping at signal or sign). Has done it since 2008. Bought the car new in Aug 07. Also, driver's side window will go down like it is supposed to when door is opened but intermittently goes back up all the way right after door is opened. Have to hit the unlock or lock button to get it back into place.

- Wesley Chapel, FL, USA

Oct 132008

G6

Steering is popping and acts like it wants to lock up. Called dealer they said nothing was wrong with it. Called GM they took note. I've had it in the shop for the same problem 3 different times within a yr they repositioned and lubed the I-shaft. Never fixed the problem. My drivers side front area there is a popping noise when its cold. That also was looked at 3 times. I was told there were no problems. It still makes the noise. Actually its getting louder. I was told by GM to take it in and have it diagnosed. I have under 50,000 with no warranty. They want me to pay for something that was supposed to be fixed. And have someone look at something they say doesn't exist. The popping in the steering and left front is still occurring every day but is worse when its cold.

- Livingston, IL, USA