NHTSA — Electrical System Problems

2008 Pontiac G6 (Page 6 of 9) Seal Of This Might Hurt Notes: Unfortunately the 2008 Pontiac G6 continues a serious trend of steering problems from the prior model years.

2008 Pontiac G6 electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Pontiac G6:

2008 Pontiac G6 Owner Comments (Page 6 of 9)

Aug 182011

My daughters brake lights stay on until she presses the brake pedal, then they go off! I've tried the dielectric grease that they said to use and it lasted 2 days. Sad thing is that unless you follow her everywhere and at all times you'll never know if they're working or not!

- Warren, OH, USA

Sep 022013

G6 6-cyl

Brake lights are on all the time until I press down on the brake. Then brake lights come back on after a few seconds. -cruise control works when the brake lights are off, but only for a few seconds because of the first issue. I have had trucks beeping at me and cars flashing lights at me from behind because brake lights on all the time and on the highway it is worse. This is a serious issue and is going to cause an accident to someone or rage drivers behind me.

- Wilkes Barre, PA, USA

Aug 282012

G6 6-cyl

-brake lights are on all the time until I press down on the brake. Then brake lights come back on after a few seconds. -cruise control works when the brake lights are off, but only for a few seconds because of the first issue -when using cruise control and applying the brakes the car does not slow down until I turn off cruise control.

- Mattoon, IL, USA

Nov 302012

After starting my vehicle the service tire pressure monitor warning light turned on and has not turned off. Shortly after this, my service air bag light also turned on. It turns off after the car is turned off and restarted however it does this about every 5 times I start my car.

- Pleasant Hill, IA, USA

Aug 222012

G6 4-cyl

Brake lights came on when brake pedal was not engaged. As soon has brake pedal was engaged brake lights went off and then back on again. When brake pedal was dis-engaged brake lights went off and after about 5 seconds came back on again.

- Blue Springs, MO, USA

Aug 252013

Brake lights stay on all the time. When first pressing the brake pedal they go off but then go back on after 3-5secs. Pushing the brake pedal further so the brakes actually apply, the lights re-illuminate. Cruise control also works intermittently which from other posts seems to be caused by this issue. My rear drivers side door lock just started working intermittently as well - could be unrelated however it all seems to be happening at once so something electrical is going bad. Looks like a lot of other people are also experiencing these issues.

- Willoughby Hills , OH, USA

Aug 102013

Low beam headlamp stopped working in "auto" mode. Authorized dealer said socket was corroded and melted. Online research indicates this is a prevalent problem with this make and model vehicle, yet GM has not issued a recall for obviously inferior wiring with potentially hazardous results. Quoted repair costs are exorbitant, and based on the quantity of owners with identical issues, one would expect that GM would do the right thing and issue a recall.

- Pompano Beach, FL, USA

Aug 062012

Currently own a 2008 Pontiac G6. The brake lights engage without the brake pedal being pressed. Cruise control will not engage properly.

- La Porte , IN, USA

Jul 012013

G6 4-cyl

I noticed while sitting at a stop light that my steering wheel started to shake, then also as I was driving, it jerked back and forth, constantly shaking. There is a grinding noise if the car is in park while the wheel shakes. I've seen many other people complaining about the same issues with this car and am wondering why the power steering system hasn't been recalled. I take very good care of my vehicle and this, being a single mother, is going to cause me to go broke for the amount of money that I'm being quoted to have it fixed. This is a huge safety issue and seems to be more common than I thought. GM should be concerned for the safety of its customers, passengers, and other drivers on the roads.

- Summerville, SC, USA

Jun 032013

G6 4-cyl

The brake lights on my 2008 Pontiac G6 are constantly on even when I am not pressing on the brakes. I have noticed that when I step on the brakes and release, the lights will turn off and about three (3) seconds later, they will appear again. My ECM and PCM were replaced due to my entire computer/electrical system shutting down but this doesn't appear to be related to the issue. Further, my mechanic has replaced my brake switch and that still didn't solve this issue. I am not sure what is in the works right now for this issue but we cannot solve it. Thank you for listening.

- Fayetteville, NC, USA

Jun 052012

I have a 2008 Pontiac G6. My brake lights were working in the reverse. When not depressed..they were on. When brake was applied..they were off. My cruise control also did not work. I took my car to my mechanic and he replaced the bmc and reset the computer. This cost me $412. It is now July of 2013 and the same thing is happening again. I researched it on the computer and have found out that this is a possible recall. Can I take my car to a GM dealership and get it repaired at no charge?

- Spring Hill, FL, USA

Jun 292013

Cruise control stopped working completely following 8 months of intermittent outages. Stopped by state police officer and informed of brake light staying on. Confirmed break lights were staying on whenever brakes were not being apllied. When brake lights were applied, the brake lights would turn off for approx. 5 seconds. Fixed by applying dielectric grease to the electrical contacts of the main body computer.

- Elkhart, IN, USA

Nov 052012

Both the right and left rear electric door lock solenoids operate erratically most often not locking the doors.

- Lake Villa, IL, USA

Jun 132013

G6 4-cyl

I start the car the brake lights come on, I then step on the brake pedal and the brake light turn off. I have very narrowly missed being rear ended half a dozen times in three days thankfully no body has been hurt yet. I have a three year old son that rides in the backseat of my car! you guys need to get on the ball, the already known recall obviously needs to expand to at least 2008. How much longer do you need" this is how its gonna work, I go to a GM dealer, tell them my problem. They tell me "oh, its just the....." and I say "how do you know that?" "there is a recall but not for this year, so you'll have to pay" see the problem here"

- Riverside, CA, USA

Jun 082013

G6 4-cyl

Replaced the H11 bulb (drivers side) due to it no longer working. Installed new bulb and with a little wiggling of the connector got it to work. Thru the week the light would work and then not work. If ya banged the housing it would come on. Today (June 15, 2013) I went to replace the H11 bulb and found the connector melted on one side. The wire was exposed and shorted out. Replaced the connector and installed a new H11 bulb. Seems to be working fine. This is the second time this has happened to me. The passenger side H11 bulb had the same exact issue a few months ago. High beam wiring seems to be intact with no issues.

- Park Ridge, NJ, USA

May 172013

G6 4-cyl

I was changing my front passenger daytime running lamp and headlight and realized there is massive corrosion in both light sockets. The replacement bulb did not initially illuminate and it took several minutes of working it into the socket for it to finally light. Several days later my dash information counsel illuminated and read "auto lights off" indicating that my running lamps were no longer on.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Jul 242008

G6 4-cyl

Rear door locks stopped working with remote entry, then eventually stopped working with front drivers/passenger side locking mechanisms. Took to dealer who replaced lock actuator (?) under factory warranty (after multiple break-ins because rear doors weren't properly locked!)

- Chicago, IL, USA

May 252013

G6 6-cyl

2008 Pontiac G6, brake lights work opposite of what they are supposed to. Brake lights are on when the brake pedal is not pressed. Once the brake pedal is pressed, the lights go out. Cruise control won't engage every time (works intermittently).

- Edina, MN, USA

May 082013

While trying to pass an 18 wheeler up hill, the car down shifted into the passing gear, at 5000rpm all of the warning lights started flashing on the dashboard. I also lost power-steering. A week later while trying to parallel park, I lost power steering. No flashing lights just now power steering. It took all I could to turn the wheel.

- Blakeslee, PA, USA

Jun 012012

The driver side back door lock started intermittently working, using the remote or driver's lock button, and within 2 months completely stopped working. It can be operated manually, however, considering where the lock is located, it is extremely difficult and inconvenient to get to. Looking online, this seems to be a very common issue with this automobile. There should be a recall on this.

- Kokomo, IN, USA