NHTSA — Vehicle Speed Control Problems

2008 Pontiac G6 (Page 1 of 3)

CarComplaints.com Seal Of This Might Hurt

CarComplaints.com Notes: Unfortunately the 2008 Pontiac G6 continues a serious trend of steering problems from the prior model years.

2008 Pontiac G6 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Pontiac G6:

2008 Pontiac G6 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Jul 152014

G6 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Pontiac G6. While driving various speeds, the brake lamps illuminated without the brake pedal being depressed. When the brake pedal was depressed, the brake lamps failed to illuminate. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that it needed to be repaired per NHTSA campaign number: 14V252000 (electrical system, electrical stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control). The vehicle was repaired; however, the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 80,000.

- Brunswick, OH, USA

Jul 072016

G6 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Pontiac G6. While driving at any speed, the brake lights remained illuminated regardless if the brake pedal was depressed or not. In addition, the traction light illuminated. The failures occurred continuously. The VIN was excluded from NHTSA campaign number: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control). The approximate failure mileage was 76,000. Updated 08/30/16 the consumer stated the brake either illuminate all the time, or they do not illuminate at all. The electrical system would go haywire. The seat belt alarm sounded even when it was un-buckled, the traction control light illuminated and so did other random lights. Updated 10/26/16.

- Georgetown, KY, USA

Dec 282015

G6

I was driving my Pontiac G6gt and came to a stop sign. I stepped on the gas and the car revved at high RPM's. I could not go forward I was able to go in reverse, I have a 4 speed auto transmission. I was able to shift to M1, M2, M3, M4 then switch over to drive and go. When I stopped at stop sign I had to use start with the M1 auto stick. I called onstar they ran an diagnostic an told me I have a N P0523 error with oil pressure.

- Murrysville, PA, USA

Jun 012015

G6 6-cyl

2008 Pontiac G6. Consumer writes in regards to several recall notices and seeks reimbursement for repairs. The consumer stated he should have been informed of the recalls on the vehicle. The consumer sent in recall numbers 14V252000 and 14V224000. Also, the lower control arms were replaced.

- Amityville, NY, USA

Feb 022015

G6 6-cyl

Brake lights stay illuminated after foot is removed from brake pedal. Cruise control doesn't work when brake lights stay on. Traction control light illuminates intermitantly. I haven't taken to dealer, however there are recalls and bulletins for these issues. Recall #13036, recall N140115 and bulletin #14118.

- Belleville, IL, USA

Jan 052015

G6

The contact owns a 2008 Pontiac G6. While driving at an unknown speed, the power steering suddenly malfunctioned and caused the steering wheel to become very difficult to turn. The vehicle was turned off operated normally the following day. The contact also indicated that while driving at various speeds, the vehicle would suddenly stop accelerating when pressing the accelerator pedal. The failures were not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 95,000.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Oct 142014

G6

The contact owns a 2008 Pontiac G6. The contact received recall notifications for NHTSA campaign number: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control) and NHTSA campaign number: 14V224000 (power train). The parts needed were not available to perform the recall repairs. The dealer was unable to provide an estimated timeframe for when the parts would become available. The manufacturer was notified and contacted the dealer so the contact could schedule an appointment. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Bolingbrook, IL, USA

Oct 012014

G6

The contact owns a 2008 Pontiac G6. While driving 50 mph, the vehicle decelerated and the speed reduction warning indicator illuminated. Once the vehicle was merged to the side of the road and restarted, it resumed normal operation. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 100,000.

- Wade , NC, USA

May 012014

G6 4-cyl

Cruise control disengages. Cruise control no longer engages.

- Kalamazoo, MI, USA

May 122014

G6

The contact owns a 2008 Pontiac G6. While driving 30 mph, the vehicle would not exceed 1,500 rpms when the accelerator pedal was depressed. The contact stated there was resistance in the body control module. The contact received a recall notification for NHTSA campaign number: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control). The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 94,206.

- Fall River, MA, USA

Jul 142014

G6

The contact owns a 2008 Pontiac G6. The contact received a recall notification for NHTSA campaign number: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control); however, the parts needed for the repair were unavailable. The dealer stated that the manufacturer did not have an estimated date as to when the parts would become available. The contact had been waiting on the parts since July of 2014. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Adrian, MI, USA

Feb 132014

G6 6-cyl

To sum it up started getting "engine power reduced" message from message center in vehicle. Shortly afterward the vehicle will begin flashing the traction control off light and shifting hard. Now the vehicle still shifts hard with the two above messages and is also stalling out when "engine power reduced" message appears. Many times after this the vehicle will not accelerate at all. Have to pull off the road, cut the vehicle completely off for a few minutes and then continue driving. Problem started intermittent and now happens every single time I drive the vehicle. I have had it stall out on the highway going over 50 mph, very dangerous was almost hit. Vehicle has been at the used lost service center three times, no luck on finding problem or repair. Car has been with my local GM certified dealership for 3 days and still no proper diagnosis problem or repair. Has sense received the two recall letters BCM/transmission but dealership is reluctant to repair because they said GM may not pay for time and parts. Worse car purchase I have every made.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Jun 192014

G6 6-cyl

I have a 2008 Pontiac G6. I was driving my car and suddenly the traction control and the stabilitrak system gets disabled for no apparent reason. I wasn't able to use the cruise control feature anymore adding more problems. It is a very annoying thing as it makes the warning noise (as the traction control and stabilitrak system get disabled) every time I drive my car. Moreover, I am very worried about the safety of the car since I don't have any traction/stability control. I when I did some research, I found out that there has been a recall for the exact same problem I am having with my car listed in the recall (all 2005-2010 Pontiac G6). GM's number for the recall is 13036. It has been two months since the recall was announced, but I haven't received my recall notice yet. Desperately hoping that the recall notice comes up soon so I can get my car fixed and drive it safely.

- Arlington, VA, USA

Jun 292014

G6

Driving and suddenly engine light came on, across the radio it said engine power reduced and service traction. It would barely accelerate. It has done this twice in a week. Then after a while the engine light goes off and it will seem ok. At stops though, the car seems very shaky, feeling like it will stall, but hasn't yet!!!

- Clinton Township, MI, USA

Jun 072011

G6 6-cyl

The brake pedal pressure switch malfunctions causing the brake lights to illuminate when the brake pedal is not depressed (I.e. while both parked and driving down the road). This disables the cruise control mechanism. The brake lights, which are constantly illuminated, then turn off when the brakes are pressed (under light to normal braking). The brake lights do illuminate again if you continue to apply increased pressure to the pedal, however not until considerably heavy braking conditions exist (nearly activating the ABS). Under most braking situations (I.e. applying moderate pressure to the brakes) this malfunction effectively causes the brake lights to work the opposite of how their indented.

- Brookville, OH, USA

Mar 192014

G6 4-cyl

Both of my head lights have gone out. My first headlight went out and the dealer stated that my wires had corroded and needed to be replaced. Now two months later my other headlight is out and I believe it is the same issue. Also I have been having trouble with both cruise control and my turn signals as both have not been reacting to the command. I believe that it is related to the May 14, 2014 recall regarding the electrical system, electronic stability control, vehicle speed control. I spent over $500 to replace the first headlight. The other items have not been replaced yet, but I know they will need to be and the cost will be exorbitant.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Feb 182014

G6 6-cyl

Following my son to school noticed brake lights were on while driving down the road when he came to a stop the brake lights went off. Another incident driving on I-69 with cruise control engaged traveling 70 mph passing a truck cruise control disengaged. Cruise control would not engage again for about 50 miles. Another incident of driving with brake lights on and stopping without lights being illuminated, car next to us let us know.

- Jonesville , MI, USA

Apr 012014

G6 4-cyl

Car accelerates without pushing on the gas, or when I am breaking car speeds up. A chime sounds in the car and I can't find anywhere in the manual about sounds other than the typical seatbelt to low fuel. Very scary!

- Indpls, IN, USA

Jun 042010

G6 4-cyl

Brake lights do not function properly. Brake lights remain on while driving & turn off while braking.

- Auburn Hills, MI, USA

Mar 012010

G6 4-cyl

The first time it happened, I was driving on the turnpike at 65mph with the cruise control on. I didn't realize it had disengaged until all the cars started passing me and the cars behind me were coming up fast on my rear. I got back up to speed but the cruise would not engage. Drove 300 miles without cruise. Happens all the time now. I have 74000 miles on the car now. I took it to the dealer at the time and they new of the problem but had no fix.

- Newport News , VA, USA