NHTSA — Vehicle Speed Control Problems

2008 Pontiac G6 (Page 2 of 3)

CarComplaints.com Seal Of This Might Hurt

CarComplaints.com Notes: Unfortunately the 2008 Pontiac G6 continues a serious trend of steering problems from the prior model years.

2008 Pontiac G6 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Pontiac G6:

2008 Pontiac G6 Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Apr 162013

G6 6-cyl

Brake lights come on when pedal is not depressed. Brake lights do not come on when pedal is depressed. Cruise control is deactivated spontaneously. It occurs intermittently, sometimes not happening for weeks or just days. But continuously for the duration of my trip, should it be happening.

- Santee, CA, USA

Feb 132013

G6

The car's brake light switch randomly activates and causes the brake lights to illuminate and the cruise control to turn off. If you tap on the brake pedal, the switch may work correctly for a few seconds or hours until it fails again. This is a potentially serious safety issue because the car behind me will not see my brake lights activate when I try to stop my car because my brake lights were already illuminated before I applied the brakes. Thus, it is likely I will get rear-ended or at least cursed by the driver of the vehicle that is following me. This is also a nuisance because I cannot use my cruise control on many occasions and it prematurely wears out my brake lamps.

- Stout, OH, USA

Oct 012013

G6 6-cyl

My brake lamps R coming on when im not applying them while driving & N park, my cruise control comes on when it wants, in if its activated disengages itself at random, I almost caused N accident and was pulled over by a NY state trooper who happen to give me a break, Y is this not a recall due to a searcher the issue in several R complaining the same issue.

- Rochester, NY, USA

Sep 262013

G6

Was driving on the highway when I tried to set my cruise control. It would not engage. I'd noticed this before but thought little of it until someone almost rear ended me. Luckily the driver behind me was nice enough to pull up beside me and inform me stating, "hey, you know your brake lights aren't working. Its like while you're driving they're on but when you brake, they turn off, it's kinda weird." Once getting to my destination, I had one of my friends trail behind me and observe this issue and it was indeed true. Later that night, I did some research on the internet and found many posts about this issue and decided to complain about this issue. This is a very dangerous malfunction. I could have lost my life or caused someone theirs.

- Pensacola, FL, USA

Sep 062012

G6

Started having issues with 2008 Pontiac G6 a year ago, service traction control message started coming on, cruise control won't work, and brake lights are on when driving but go off when I press the brakes. I have had the body control module worked on twice, the brake pedal position sensor has been replaced, put on the computer several times trying to find the problem. Nothing has worked and all the service and repair costs have come out of my pocket. I have been pulled over by the police and state troopers, and have had close calls because of the brake lights malfunctioning. I just had the brake pedal position sensor replaced 2 weeks ago and I got pulled over again tonight because my brake lights were on but went out when I pressed the brake pedal. This is dangerous, I drive to work everyday an hour and a half each way to a city, and I am scared everyday that someone will hit me because they won't know I am braking. It is a safety issue and the fact that the manufacture has not done anything to fix this issue is risking my life, other driver's lives, and I can't afford the constant service bills for repairs that don't fix the problem.

- Hornell, NY, USA

Aug 252013

G6

Brake lights stay on all the time. When first pressing the brake pedal they go off but then go back on after 3-5secs. Pushing the brake pedal further so the brakes actually apply, the lights re-illuminate. Cruise control also works intermittently which from other posts seems to be caused by this issue. My rear drivers side door lock just started working intermittently as well - could be unrelated however it all seems to be happening at once so something electrical is going bad. Looks like a lot of other people are also experiencing these issues.

- Willoughby Hills , OH, USA

Jun 012013

G6 6-cyl

The brake lights stay on all the time and when first pressing the brake pedal they go off and after pushing the brake pedal further they will re-illuminate. Because of them always being on the cruise control also will not work.

- Monroe, NC, USA

Aug 062012

G6

Currently own a 2008 Pontiac G6. The brake lights engage without the brake pedal being pressed. Cruise control will not engage properly.

- La Porte , IN, USA

Jun 052012

G6

I have a 2008 Pontiac G6. My brake lights were working in the reverse. When not depressed..they were on. When brake was applied..they were off. My cruise control also did not work. I took my car to my mechanic and he replaced the bmc and reset the computer. This cost me $412. It is now July of 2013 and the same thing is happening again. I researched it on the computer and have found out that this is a possible recall. Can I take my car to a GM dealership and get it repaired at no charge?

- Spring Hill, FL, USA

Jun 292013

G6

Cruise control stopped working completely following 8 months of intermittent outages. Stopped by state police officer and informed of brake light staying on. Confirmed break lights were staying on whenever brakes were not being apllied. When brake lights were applied, the brake lights would turn off for approx. 5 seconds. Fixed by applying dielectric grease to the electrical contacts of the main body computer.

- Elkhart, IN, USA

Jul 102012

G6 6-cyl

Brake light stay on when driving. Wont shut off till you hit the brakes, but will often come back on. This also causes the cruise control to shut off. Was rear ended in July 2012.

- Seward, NE, USA

May 192013

G6 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that while driving 70 mph, the cruise control and brake lights failed on several separate occasions. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 98,000.

- Poplar , MT, USA

May 062013

G6 4-cyl

I was driving and trying to set the cruise control and the cruise would not set. I was also being followed by my wife at the time. When we arrived at our destination, she asked me if I was riding the brakes. I told her I was not and she informed me that my brake lights were on all the time, except for after making a stop & restarting they would go out briefly and come back on and stay on. Since that day this has happened intermittently several times and this concerns me very much as I have a 16 year old son who drives this vehicle to work and you never know if the lights are stuck on unless you try to engage the cruise control.

- Argenta, IL, USA

May 062013

G6 6-cyl

Brake lights self-illuminate, canceling cruise control functions as a result. General Motors has issued a technical service bulletin on this issue (#08-05-22-009: Intermittently brake lights (stop lamp) do not function correctly, extended travel to shift out of park, cruise control inoperative, dtc C0161/C0277 set (perform repair as outlined) - (Dec 4, 2008) ), enough vehicles are affected by this issue to warrant a safety recall.

- Appleton, WI, USA

Apr 302010

G6 4-cyl

My brake lights are staying on even when the brake isn't being pressed. This is also linked to my cruise control issue of turning off while engaged automatically and then not turning back on.

- Lemoore, CA, USA

Apr 122013

- Ada, OK, USA

Sep 012012

G6 6-cyl

On my 2008 Pontiac G6, the brake lights are on all the time even though the brake pedal is not being depressed and in turn makes the cruise control not work.

- Neosho, MO, USA

Nov 052012

G6 6-cyl

Cruise control disengaged while on the interstate. Notice sudden deceleration and cruise control indicator was off. Cruise control would not reengage immediately. Reengaged by driver about 20 miles later.

- Santee, CA, USA

Aug 012012

G6 6-cyl

Cruise control disengages and brake lights illuminate without pressing brake pedal and turn off when the brake pedal is pressed. I have researched and found reports of the same problems on the Saturn aura and Chevy Malibu of the same year, and the Pontiac G6 of 2005.

- Oak Park, IL, USA

May 052012

G6 6-cyl

The brake lights come on when the pedal is not depressed and go off when it is depressed. This condition also affects the cruise control. This only happens occasionally, but it seems to be happening more since the first occurrence. This a very dangerous situation and there is no way of knowing when it is occurring.

- Decatur, IN, USA