NHTSA — Exterior Lighting Problems

2008 Pontiac G6 (Page 4 of 10) Seal Of This Might Hurt Notes: Unfortunately the 2008 Pontiac G6 continues a serious trend of steering problems from the prior model years.

2008 Pontiac G6 lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Pontiac G6:

2008 Pontiac G6 Owner Comments (Page 4 of 10)

Apr 012014

I have been reading about other peoples problems with the G6 and I am having the same with my 2008 Pontiac G6/GT. I have a 2008 Pontiac G6 and I am having problems with: Tie rods, wheel hubs, control arms, and lastly my car light in the front keeps going out, not the high beams but the low beams. Every time I replace the bulb it goes out in a matter of weeks.

- Linden, NJ, USA

Jul 182012

Low beam headlights go out. This has happened on both sides of the vehicle. The bulbs are fine, the problem is in the wiring, the connectors going to the bulbs are corroded and melted !! this is clearly a defect in manufacturing!!! reading through the 99 complaints on electrical problems that have been logged onto this site, 35 of them have been about the same problem I am having!! how many need to be recorded before you issue a recall!! seems to me 35 out of 99 would be enough!!

- Aurora, CO, USA

Jan 152014

G6 6-cyl

The brake lights come on for no reason and speed control ceases to function. When the brake is pressed the brake lights shut off, thereby not functioning when they should. In addition, if the brake is pressed slightly the cruise control will function. The dealer replaced the brake switch and it worked for only one week. Di-electric grease was applied to the computer harness pins and that also worked for but a short time. Very dangerous.

- Grand Forks, ND, USA

Jan 152014

G6 4-cyl

Passenger side headlight is out due to shorting/ melting wire harness. I have witnessed several about(15) Pontiac G6 with their headlight out on the exact same side as my vehicle(passenger) side mostly. After finding the real problem I'm going to replace the whole wiring harness myself. Nothing else follows-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Hope Mills, NC, USA

May 032010

G6 4-cyl

Low beam headlights go out often and both lights will go out without warning. The high beam lights work ok but cannot be dimmed for oncoming traffic when this happens. Changing bulbs does not fix this problem.

- Knoxville, TN, USA

Apr 012010

G6 4-cyl

Brake lights remain on when the brake pedal is not pushed, but go off when the brake pedal is pushed, just the opposite of what is supposed to happen. Following vehicles cannot be signaled when slowing down creating danger of a rear end collision. The problem is intermittent can tell it is happening when the cruise control does not work.

- Knoxville, TN, USA

Mar 192014

G6 4-cyl

Both of my head lights have gone out. My first headlight went out and the dealer stated that my wires had corroded and needed to be replaced. Now two months later my other headlight is out and I believe it is the same issue. Also I have been having trouble with both cruise control and my turn signals as both have not been reacting to the command. I believe that it is related to the May 14, 2014 recall regarding the electrical system, electronic stability control, vehicle speed control. I spent over $500 to replace the first headlight. The other items have not been replaced yet, but I know they will need to be and the cost will be exorbitant.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Feb 182014

G6 6-cyl

Following my son to school noticed brake lights were on while driving down the road when he came to a stop the brake lights went off. Another incident driving on I-69 with cruise control engaged traveling 70 mph passing a truck cruise control disengaged. Cruise control would not engage again for about 50 miles. Another incident of driving with brake lights on and stopping without lights being illuminated, car next to us let us know.

- Jonesville , MI, USA

Jun 142014

G6 4-cyl

Faulty wiring in the Pontiac G6 headlights causes the low beam headlight socket to keep melting causing an inoperative bulb. This could potentially cause a fire since it is not tripping the fuse.

- Lake Worth, FL, USA

Feb 012013

G6 4-cyl

Vehicle headlamps fail regularly every (1-2 months). It appears there is a power fluctuation just before the lights fail.

- Union City , NJ, USA

Jun 112013

In 2013 the driver side headlight went out. We replaced the light. Notice a couple weeks later light out again. Brought to mechanic and found wires to be burnt/melted. Had to have the whole headlight assmebly assembly replaced. Has been quite some time and we have recently replaced the light 2 times in the last 2-3 months. Wires are somewhat dark burnt at the connection as before. I believe this is an issue with these vehicles and it needs to be fixed.

- Merritt Island, FL, USA

Jun 042014

G6 4-cyl

When driving and not applying the brake my brake lights are lit. When I apply the brake the brake lights go out. I was informed by a fellow driver on the road the first time, then took my car into a dealership to be fixed. They changed my brake switch and a week later I was told by a coworker driving behind me that the problem was still active.

- Geneva, IL, USA

May 232014

G6 4-cyl

My sister was driving behind me and informed that my brake lights stayed illuminated at all times, even when the brakes were not applied. I learned of the newest GM recall on the news where this is a potential problem and I believe I am affected.

- Rock Creek, OH, USA

Jun 042010

G6 4-cyl

Brake lights do not function properly. Brake lights remain on while driving & turn off while braking.

- Auburn Hills, MI, USA

May 242008

Since day 1 I have been having the same issues with this car. Car pulls to the left when being driven along with a popping sound coming from the front end suspension. Multiply items were repaired both under warranty and out of pocket expense. Ishaft, bearings, aligned 22 times, tire balanced, new wheels put on. Same problem still persisted. Toe clips keep popping off. Car still shakes with every fix. Steering has a whine to it - power steering pump replaced, did not fix the issues. Car has 50 pages of service issues with 8 issues on a page and still not is right. Due to front suspension issues accident occurred - damaging front drivers rim and tire. Dealer would not replace or warranty even with full coverage warranty. Paid for out of own pocket. Exterior lighting also has condensation in it - both head lamps assembly and both tail light assembly. Dealer stated this was normal? an half inch of water sitting in the bottom of the assemblies is not normal. Condensation build up due to this issue has blown bulbs often and also corroded bulb plugs (dealer would not replace even under bumper to bumper warranty). Previous smell of burned wires has been stated on service visits to dealer, yet they never replaced any wiring or any assembly. Some days I fear car may start on fire.

- North Tonawanda, NY, USA

May 012012

On multiple occasions since May 2012, the drivers side headlight has failed to operate. At first I thought it was the bulb, so I replaced it. Approximately 2 weeks later, the bulb quit and I had to replace the bulb again. This happened on a regular basis for approximately 18 months. In November of 2013, I was replacing a bulb again and noticed the bulb socket and wiring was starting to melt. I contacted my dealer and Pontiac customer service. The dealer told me they had many reports of this occurring, but there was not a fix for it nor was there a recall. Pontiac customer service told me the same thing. I decided to buy a brand new headlight assembly ($200) and see if this would fix the problem. The new headlight assembly did the exact same thing as the old one. I could not get a refund because of the damage. I then decided to try and rewire the new headlight assembly to see if this would fix the problem. I bought two bulb socket/wiring assemblies from my dealer. This did not work either, as the sockets/wiring started to smell like they were burning, just like the original headlight assembly. It has now been about 2 years since this started happening, and I am stuck with a car with one operational headlight and have to limit my night driving to very short trips. I won't let my wife drive the car at night because it is unsafe. This headlight issue is a disaster waiting to happen.

- Bossier City, LA, USA

Sep 252013

On the way back home from family vacation we stopped on the interstate for a break when I came outside from the facilities there was smoke billowing from under the hood I opened it to find flames after putting the flames out and inspecting the damage I realized my headlight and wiring had melted from the flames no idea why it happened but have had to replace the lightbulbs in both headlights more that I should of since buying the car.

- Anniston, AL, USA

Apr 052013

The low beam headlamps on this car keeps going out. The harness connectors are melted and replaced numerous times. We have received numerous tickets for a headlight out. The rear doors will not lock with the power locks.

- Broken Arrow, OK, USA

Dec 172013

G6 6-cyl

Intermediate steering shaft binding and clicking while making turns (common defect). Driver side low beam headlight wiring connector burned / corroded causing low beam not to operate / on 2nd connector (common defect). Brakes wore out prematurely and rotors turn rust brown after a rain or they get wet.

- Brandon, FL, USA

Apr 082014

The contact owns a 2008 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that both the driver and passenger's side low beam bulb sockets were melted. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the technician verified the failure and recommended replacement. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 79,000 and the current mileage was 80,000.

- Parkersburg, WV, USA