NHTSA — Exterior Lighting Problems

2008 Pontiac G6 (Page 5 of 10) Seal Of This Might Hurt Notes: Unfortunately the 2008 Pontiac G6 continues a serious trend of steering problems from the prior model years.

2008 Pontiac G6 lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Pontiac G6:

2008 Pontiac G6 Owner Comments (Page 5 of 10)

Jan 052014

On my 2008 Pontiac G6 the drivers side low beam headlamp bulb socket melted causing the need for the whole headlight assembly to be replaced. The same thing happened on the passenger side at around 37,000 miles. The car lighting is oem. No after market bulbs or headlights. Not sure what is causing this or if it could lead to a more catastrophic electrical failure or fire.

- Washington, DC, USA

Nov 122013

G6 6-cyl

One of my headlights had burnt out so I changed it. A month later, the same headlight burnt out again. I noticed that it had gotten so hot it melted the plastic that held the bulb. I took it to a Pontiac dealership to see if there was a recall for this. I was told no, but was told that they have had a lot of people bringing their cars in for this problem. I noticed today, one of the break light bulbs that is located in the trunk lid was blown. It has done the same thing as the headlight, it has gotten so hot it has melted the plastic that holds the bulb. I think this is a manufacturing problem that needs to be investigated because the bulbs should not be getting so hot that they are melting plastic. I am afraid my car may catch a fire if something is not done about this.

- Longs, SC, USA

Nov 222013

G6 4-cyl

I was driving my 2008 Pontiac G6 and was pulled over by the police. The officer issued 3 service repair orders all associated with my low beam headlights not working. A month prior to this, in October 2013, the low beams stopped working. I was given a warning at that time so I went to a mechanic. They told me that my bulbs needed to be replaced. I purchased the bulbs for 20 dollars and paid 88 dollars for the service. About two weeks after that, I'd say mid-October, a friend told me my lights weren't on and sure enough they were not. So I avoided night driving until I could get them checked out for the second time. But then I noticed that some days the low beams were on and some days they were not so I figured it might be a short circuit or something having to do with fuses. But on that night in November, I absolutely had to pick my teenaged son up from the metro station one night so I used my high beams. I had no choice. The police officer pulled me over because of the glare the high beams caused and issued the 3 repair orders. I took my car to autozone where they did a diagnostics check on my vehicle. I received 4 printouts explaining that my problem was all related to the electrical system. I haven't had the repairs done yet because they will cost a few hundred dollars and I cannot afford it with a newborn baby and my resulting reduced work schedule. The lowest estimate I received was for 650. Furthermore, the dealer wants to perform their own diagnostics check for another 130 dollars. So because I haven't had the money to get the electrical problem fixed my vehicle registration is about to be suspended. Not only will I not be able to drive because the state will confiscate my tags, I won't be able to renew my tags or registration in the near future. I see that this is not a singular issue and this car definitely needs to be recalled.

- Forestville, MD, USA

Apr 182013

The contact owns a 2008 Pontiac G6 GT. The contact stated that the brake lights failed to illuminate while driving. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer for diagnostic testing. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 30,000 and the current mileage was approximately 50,000.

- El Dorado, KS, USA

Mar 202014

G6 4-cyl

When the vehicle is braking the rear brake lights are not engaging. When the vehicle is accelerating the brake lights are engaged. Police officer gave us 24 hours to fix the problem or we will be issued a citation for driving a hazardous vehicle. Police officer said that this issue could cause serious bodily harm.

- Depew, NY, USA

Apr 162013

G6 6-cyl

Brake lights come on when pedal is not depressed. Brake lights do not come on when pedal is depressed. Cruise control is deactivated spontaneously. It occurs intermittently, sometimes not happening for weeks or just days. But continuously for the duration of my trip, should it be happening.

- Santee, CA, USA

Nov 012012

I have had several issues with the exterior lighting of my vehicle. First the headlights on the drivers side went out and I replaced the bulb, then passenger side has went out and the bulb has been replaced. I took my vehicle to our local autozone and at first we thought the light bulb needed replaced but after wiggling around the wires it started working..this has happened to me on more than one occasion. As of this year I've changed both headlights twice and the exterior brake light and as of today I have another headlight that has blown..I got online and notices several complaints from different people on the Pontiac G6 that are having the same issue as me and there is no correction for this fixed except having the whole lighting assembly changed with the wiring which is a 700 or more dollar fix. Now my highbeams are doing the samething. I've contacted GM about this issue and have not received a response as of yet. This is very disturbing for me because I have been stopped by the police before and given tickets because of this and this is starting to become a financial burden for me.

- Parma, OH, USA

Jul 012013

I have had to replace my headlights 3 times in the last 6 months. Now they are blown again and I have been told it is an electrical problem - and of course not covered under any warranty. I feel this is a safety issue - bad wiring could lead to a fire.

- Mascoutah, IL, USA

Jan 172014

G6 6-cyl

The vehicle brake lights are constantly on while the car is in drive. When I apply the brakes, the brake lights turn off. This happens at all speeds and has been an ongoing problem since I purchased the car used with approximately 43,000 miles in December 2011. The vehicle mileage is now approximately 73,000 miles. Applying dialectric grease to the contacts of the BCM seems to temporarily correct the problem for a few months. After which, the problem resumes. This is a major safety issue while I am driving at 65 mph in heavy traffic on the highway. I don't mind periodically greasing the BCM to fix the problem, but what worries me is that there is no feedback from the computer alerting me that my brakes lights are not working properly. The problem has occurred at least four times in the past, and each time it was discovered by a friend following behind in another vehicle.

- Seattle, WA, USA

Jan 132014

The contact owns a 2008 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that the brake light illuminated erroneously and failed to illuminate when the brake pedal was pressed. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was 86,096.

- Uncasville, CT, USA

Nov 172013

G6 6-cyl

Beginning on Nov 17, 2013 and up until present, the driver's side headlight of my 2008 Pontiac G6 continues to burn out. The first incident caused me to get a traffic ticket for driving an unsafe vehicle. The ticket is the way I initially discovered the problem. The very next morning after receiving the ticket, I immediately changed the headlight. To my dismay, the headlight went out again about 2 weeks after it was first replaced. I then had to have the headlight replaced again. On today's date, December 28th, while driving I smelled a very strong odor of something burning. I immediately pulled over to check the car and found that the driver's side headlight was blackened. I removed the headlight and observed that the wiring harness connector was completed burned with smoke coming out of it. Now I am fearful to drive my car with the headlights on. Upon arriving home, I went on the internet to learn what the cause may be and discovered many other people complaining of the same problem with the Pontiac G6. To repair the electrical system of the vehicle is costly. Clearly, this is a dangerous manufacturer's defeat. Sadly, without a recall, this problem has and will result in accidents and possibly unnecessary fatalities.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Aug 012013

While approaching a stop sign I pressed the brake pedal and was almost rear-ended due to my brake lights not coming on until brake pedal was fully depressed down to the floor. I continue to have this problem and now have to brake later to be able to press the pedal down enough to illuminate the brake lights. Thus putting myself and others in danger of a possible accident.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Dec 172013

G6 4-cyl

Our Pontiac G-6 2008 low beam headlights have repeatedly burned out, due to the melting of the light sockets. I've already had one replaced and it has already melted down, there have been multiple complaints online from other customers about this same problem. On Tuesday Dec 17, 2013 my wife was driving home at night when the passenger side light went out. This caused her to run over a median. This car needs an immediate recall before someone gets hurt or killed.

- Greensboro, NC, USA

Dec 012010

G6 4-cyl

The brake lights chronically malfunction. The car has been to the dealer multiple times and works for awhile after repeated attempts to correct the problem, then acts up again. The brake lights come on by themselves while driving and won't go out. Sometimes they come on while driving and go out if the driver touches the brakes but then come back on again shortly thereafter and stay on. Very dangerous.

- Cape May Court House, NJ, USA

Oct 192010

G6 4-cyl

The brake lights won't turn on when I press the brakes. They automatically turn on without pressing the brake. Due to this issue the cruise control cannot be set. I have seen cars swerve to miss me when I am braking because the lights don't warn them. This happened in 2010, Oct 2012, and is currently happening 11/6/2013.

- Kansas City, MO, USA

Aug 222011

G6 6-cyl

When I am driving down the road the brake lights are always on while I have my foot on the accelerator. When I go and hit the brakes the brake lights go off. This is the opposite of what they should do and on a number of occasions I have nearly been rear ended.

- Alto, MI, USA

Oct 012013

G6 4-cyl

I have submitted two previous complaints, one for brake lights functioning improperly and one for my rear-driver's side door lock, door ajar message and dome light issues. A new issue has recently surfaced. The "service traction control" message now appears intermittently, yet there seems to be no actual issue. This message, along with "door ajar", appear off and on at random.

- Bath, MI, USA

Oct 012013

G6 6-cyl

My brake lamps R coming on when im not applying them while driving & N park, my cruise control comes on when it wants, in if its activated disengages itself at random, I almost caused N accident and was pulled over by a NY state trooper who happen to give me a break, Y is this not a recall due to a searcher the issue in several R complaining the same issue.

- Rochester, NY, USA

Jul 012013

The contact owns a 2008 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that when the brake pedal was depressed, the brake lights failed to operate and when the brake pedal was not being depressed, the brake lights would remain illuminated. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer for repairs or diagnosis of the failure. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 65,000. The current mileage was 80,000.

- Conroe, TX, USA

Aug 182011

My daughters brake lights stay on until she presses the brake pedal, then they go off! I've tried the dielectric grease that they said to use and it lasted 2 days. Sad thing is that unless you follow her everywhere and at all times you'll never know if they're working or not!

- Warren, OH, USA