NHTSA — Air Bags Problems

2008 Pontiac G6 (Page 3 of 4) Seal Of This Might Hurt Notes: Unfortunately the 2008 Pontiac G6 continues a serious trend of steering problems from the prior model years.

2008 Pontiac G6 seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Pontiac G6:

2008 Pontiac G6 Owner Comments (Page 3 of 4)

Jun 042014

The service airbag light comes on and so does the tire inflation warning at start up and stays on.. this use to be occasionally and then not come on the next time you started it does it almost continually..also the seats electric height adjustment has broken free of the base on the floor...the weld has broken on the tube on the base of there car...I see so many other car owners with the same exact issues yet no one is addressing them or issuing a recall...theses issues should not be fixed at the owners expense when GM knows there is an issue and a seat in a car should never have welds fail this is a major safety issue..these seats would never hold up in a crash.

- West Haven, UT, USA

Feb 182014

G6 4-cyl

The airbag light has came on and the passenger seat will not show someone is sitting in it for the passenger airbags. The light first came on in February but went off a few days later it then came back on in March and will not shut off. The dealership will not fix it because there is no recall on it. If a crash happens my airbags will not work. Also I have had my engine for my windshield wipers replaced three times 600 dollars later my wipers do not work. They keep telling me it keeps snapping I can't keep spending money onthis. Also my gears do not shift properly even though the transmission checked out good. There is a recall for this but the dealership refused to fix it stating the part was not received yet. I haven't received any recalls by mail even though there are plenty of them. This whole car needs recalled.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Jun 152014

G6 4-cyl

Power steer keeps locking up when driving and air bag service light stays on.

- San Angelo, TX, USA

Jun 032013

G6 4-cyl

The service airbag soon light goes on and off when U starts the car and it stays on while you are driving. The brake light stays on during driving and when the car is in park.

- Chicago , IL, USA

May 192014

The contact owns a 2008 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that the service air bag warning light illuminated intermittently. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for a diagnostic testing. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 53,000.

- West Chicago, IL, USA

Mar 312014

G6 4-cyl

On 3-31-14 I had a wreck and the air bags wasn't hook up and I almost could have died had I not known that those air bags wasn't hook up and also their was a problem with the key ignition to were my keys didn't want to come out and that happen around in late February of 2014.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Apr 202014

G6 6-cyl

My family and I were returning home from a family vacation and one-hour and forty-five minutes into our two-hour and thirty minute drive the air-bag service icon appeared on the dashboard and car radio display. Concerned about the signal, my wife open the car service manual and continued to read how dangerously this signal can be continuously driving the vehicle. The manual stated the airbag could not deploy during a collision or could deploy at any point while driving the vehicle. We immediately stopped at the next rest stop (10 minutes away) and followed the quick guidelines of the manual. Concerned about our safety, we called our insurance company and were instructed to make a safe as possible drive back home and do not further drive the vehicle anywhere else. The car is putting our lives in jeopardy in more ways than one while the vehicle has that warning displayed. We followed our insurances strict guidelines and made a fearful forty-five minute drive home in the condition with my wife and two kids. The following morning I further investigated airbag service lights for a 2008 Pontiac G6 and I found out that the 2006 and 2007 Pontiac G6 models had recalls based on the same incidents and specifics that my wife's car currently was and is in. To be put in this position is fearful enough, but to be put in this position with your children in the car is frightening especially driving in mountainous terrain. The 2008 Pontiac G6 model should be put on recall for its airbag system. We were lucky enough to not have our airbag not deploy in the middle of driving and have an accident with the airbag service is not available. Some families or individuals may not. It is important that all makes of vehicles have a safe vehicle for everyone to drive in and not have any fear of the vehicle having some sort of mechanical failure that can put their lives at risk.

- Seaside, CA, USA

Jun 122012

The contact owns a 2008 Pontiac G6. The contact stated the air bag warning lamp illuminated and the passenger air bag warning light would stay off intermittently whenever the passenger seat was occupied. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for inspection. In addition, the rear drivers door lock and tire pressure sensor stopped working. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 40,000 and the current mileage was 65,000.

- Evansville, WI, USA

Feb 202014

G6 6-cyl

On 2/20/2014 I was traveling and was hit on my back right side, my car spun out across 3 lanes and end up facing on coming traffic on the opposite side of the street where my car hit and ran over a small pole. Though all these events that occurred which left my car at a total loss my air bags failed to deploy. I think there was something mechanically wrong with my air bags as well as my brakes, with didn't assist me by much if any.

- Garland, TX, USA

Jul 112012

The air bag light started randomly coming on and off. This has been going on for a while now, (almost two years) except that over the last year the airbag light has now just turned on and stays on. It could be a failed airbag, or some other airbag issue. We also noticed the seatbelt light came on for a while, but now that is back off. The car now has 108,000 miles. This is dangerous because if we get in an accident they airbags may not work resulting in injuries.

- Port Orchard, WA, USA

Jan 172014

Started getting service air bag warning. I think it might be the same problem reported on other GM vehicles that have been recalled with the passenger seat sensor. I have read on the internet chat groups other people have had the problem with ponitac G6 and sister Chevrolet Malibu vehicles.

- Lakeville, MN, USA

Dec 312013

I was driving on ice when my Pontiac G-6 front wheel drive started sliding to the left from back to front and flipped end over end and then rolled 2 more times and landed on the passengers side door the airbags did not deploy and the drivers seat belt did not lock up. I able to easily unfastened the seat belt on the drivers side of the car which was around me.

- Plattsburgh, NY, USA

Oct 212013

G6 6-cyl

When I start my car I now receive a "service air bag" along with a "service tire monitor". the dealer says they can't find anything wrong and I should just replace the sensors to be safe. Is this safe" shouldn't there be a recall on this issue since it seems to happen so frequently"

- Springfield, MO, USA

Mar 022013

As driver approached a 2 lane construction zone, the vehicle started to drift to the right. Driver attempted to contain vehicle in traffic lane but the steering wheel was not responsive. At some point the power steering assistance module reactivated but only managed to drive the vehicle into the concrete barriers on both sides of the highway resulting in heavy front-end passenger side damage and contact damage to all corners of the vehicle. Despite traveling both back and forth across two lanes several times and making contact with the barriers each time, neither front air bag deployed. Driver's head came in contact with his side window causing temporary loss of consciousness. Passenger's air bag cover was knocked askew but as noted did not activate. Emt's administered medical assistance at the scene, but did not Transport. Vehicle was towed from scene and subsequently judged "totaled". I purchased this vehicle exactly one week and 5 hours before this event. Notice I do not call it an accident: This vehicle and others from this model and year should be removed from our roads immediately. Manufacturer has a "service bulletin" out on the 'power steering assist'. they refer to it as a special coverage adjustment. See sb-10183

- West Chester, PA, USA

Apr 112012

The "service air bag" keeps coming on. After speaking with a Pontiac representative they stated it is a problem with the G6 models. I then researched it online and many people complain of the same thing, the problem is a bad sensor and computer. Resetting the airbag sensor doesn't correct the problem which is $600 and changing out the sensor is $1200 and that still doesn't correct the problem and it is unknown to the dealership if the airbag actually works!

- Henderson, NV, USA

Sep 122013

After starting my vehicle the service tire monitor warning light turned on then shortly after this, my service air bag light also turned on. It turns off after the car is turned off and restarted however it does this every time I start my car.

- Troy, MO, USA

Nov 302012

After starting my vehicle the service tire pressure monitor warning light turned on and has not turned off. Shortly after this, my service air bag light also turned on. It turns off after the car is turned off and restarted however it does this about every 5 times I start my car.

- Pleasant Hill, IA, USA

Sep 152013

As I was pulling away from a stop light in a busy area the air bags deployed all of the sudden on their own without impact. I was able to slowly pull over into the michael's store near by. The air bags hit my head and arm. The entire side air bag system, including the seat mechanism exploded from the driver's seat to the back passenger.

- St. Peters, MO, USA

May 012012

The contact owns a 2008 Pontiac G6. The contact stated the air bag and seat belt failed. The air bag warning light remained illuminated and the seat belt made a beeping sound. The vehicle was taken to the dealer to have a diagnostic test performed, which located the failure within the air bag sensor. The air bag sensor was replaced; however, the failure was not corrected. The air bag warning light illuminated and the seat belt continued to beep. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 90,000. The current mileage was 118,000.

- Florence, SC, USA

Jul 262013

The contact owns a 2008 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that while driving approximately 45 mph, the driver crashed into another vehicle and the air bags failed to deploy. The driver was not injured and a police report was filed. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing of the air bag failure. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure and current mileage was 90,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Grand Blanc, MI, USA