NHTSA — Steering Problems

2008 Pontiac G6 (Page 3 of 14)

CarComplaints.com Seal Of This Might Hurt

CarComplaints.com Notes: Unfortunately the 2008 Pontiac G6 continues a serious trend of steering problems from the prior model years.

2008 Pontiac G6 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Pontiac G6:

2008 Pontiac G6 Owner Comments (Page 3 of 14)

Apr 292015

G6

The contact owns a 2008 Pontiac G6. While driving 45 mph, the power steering failed without warning. Due to the failure, excessive force was required to maneuver the vehicle. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 132,512.

- Lithonia, GA, USA

Mar 202015

G6

The contact owns a 2008 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that the steering failed. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and it was determined that the torque sensor assembly and eps unit needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V153000 (steering). The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 88,000.

- Norris Tonowanta, NY, USA

Mar 192015

G6

Just purchased this car. After driving about 35 miles. Slowed down to turn into a parking lot. The electric steering assist stopped working. With great effort I was able to make the turn. After sitting turned off for a few minutes, I restarted the car and I had power steering again. Since then, it intermittently has power steering. It seems like the recalls on other Pontiac G6 cars built a little earlier than this one.

- Batesville, MS, USA

Mar 192015

G6 4-cyl

Power steering came up on driver's interface, and power steering was lost.

- Batesville, MS, USA

Mar 122015

G6

The contact owns a 2008 Pontiac G6. While driving at an unknown speed, the power steering failed without warning. The failure caused the contact to use excessive force to maneuver the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The technician diagnosed that an unknown sensor needed to be replaced. The sensor was replaced but the problem persisted. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 112,000.

- Union, NJ, USA

Jun 032014

G6

My parents purchased the car for me on March 1, 2013 with 97,629 miles on it. We purchased the extended warranty and I had the intermediate drive shaft replace July 9, 2014 because I was intermittently hearing a popping nose when I turned or back up while turning. It has pretty much done this the entire time after a few weeks I had purchased the car. Even after getting it replaced last July, it was quiet for a few weeks and then started again. I am always concerned daily that something will happen while I am driving and I have 3 daughters from ages 5-15 that are with me. I drive them to school 15 miles away and pick them up. I would have thought after the repair of the intermediate shaft the first time, it would have stopped but it has not. It is a growing anxiety issue for me and I am a single mom and cannot afford to buy another car. This website has had 37 posts alone of this same complaint! www.carcomplaints.com/Pontiac/G6/2008/steering/steering_makes_A_popping_noise_when_turning.shtml this is definitely an issue with Pontiac G6's and needs to be recalled and fixed properly! now that my extended warranty is up, I don't have the $300+ dollars to get this fixed again!

- Heyworth, IL, USA

Feb 162015

G6 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Pontiac G6. While traveling 50 mph, the power steering failed. The steering wheel started to shake and the power steering light illuminated on the instrument panel. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and it was determined that the electronic power assist module needed to be replaced. The contact was made aware of NHTSA campaign number: 14V153000 (steering); however, the VIN was not included in the recall. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 93,000. Update 01/15/16

- Fomball, PA, USA

Mar 072013

G6 4-cyl

My car's steering gotten frozen, lock up, can not steer to an directions. It happened again early this month again on highway. Cannot find any recall.

- Edina, MN, USA

Dec 172014

G6 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that fuel was leaking from the fuel module. The contact also stated that the power steering pump failed. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the technician diagnosed that the fuel module needed to be replaced. The repairs were made to the vehicle. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 56,000. Updated 4/29/15 updated 07/02/15

- Graham, TX, USA

Mar 062015

G6 4-cyl

I was making a left turn in the intersection and my steering went out. The display started showing the power steering message. It became increasing difficult to steer. It appears GM recalled some make/models for the same vehicle I have however my VIN is not one of the one's that fall under the recall even though this seems to be the same problem. If GM knows this is a problem why aren't all of the make/models included in the recall. I had my son in the car and I became very fearful for the both of us.

- Alsip, IL, USA

Feb 022015

G6 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Pontiac G6. While driving at approximately 45 mph, the steering wheel seized without warning. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, where it was diagnosed that the torque sensor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 75,000. Updated 4/6/15 updated 6/25/2015

- Canton, MI, USA

Dec 172014

G6 4-cyl

Power steering failed numerous times, intermittently, causing driver to use a great deal of force to maintain control of the car. In seeking repair at GM dealer, was told my car not one covered by steering recall, though my problem bears a striking resemblance to those of the covered vehicles.

- Northville, MI, USA

Feb 172015

G6

My daughter was drive and the steering wheel locked on her two time. I found out there was a recall about this. I was never notify of this. I took the car to the dealer about this and I had to pay for the work. I don't think I should have to pay. If my daughter would have been hurt or killed what then. What can I do? need your help.

- Jacksonville, AR, USA

Feb 182015

G6

M2008 Pontiac G6 lost of steering power while driving at 40 miles per hour.. thank god I was not going faster.I called the dealer ship they tell me there is on sreering recall for my car... but now it looses power steering often.just hope a crash does not happen

- Orangeburg, SC, USA

Jan 022015

G6 4-cyl

The power steering goes out and the car is very difficult to turn.

- Sun City, AZ, USA

Feb 092015

G6 4-cyl

The steering wheel started shaking back and forth while car was in park at idle. Then within a few days the power steering would not engage at all upon first start up so I would have to turn off the car and restart it until the power steering was engaged then on the 9th of Feb 2015 while driving it just cut out completely while driving and with a few restarts it starting working but not shortly after it quit and wont work at all now.

- Portsmouth, OH, USA

Feb 142015

G6

The contact owns a 2008 Pontiac G6. While driving at various speeds, the steering wheel required excessive force in order to maneuver the vehicle. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 58,000.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Feb 052015

G6

I was driving approximately 50 mph when the steering wheel became extremely difficult to maneuver. The radio screen displayed a power steering warning message. I placed the vehicle in park and shut the engine off. After restarting the vehicle, the power steering assist function became operable. After couple minutes the same thing happened again. I called Pontiac contact number about a recall and they said that the recall is not available for my VIN no.

- Gilbertsville, PA, USA

Feb 062015

G6 4-cyl

Driving my car on the highway the power steering alarm went off it was really hard to turn after that, the problem goes away when you restart the car but it happend again the next Monday the two days with this incident are 2/6/15 and 2/9/15.

- Fort Wayne, IN, USA

Jan 262015

G6

The contact owns a 2008 Pontiac G6. While driving approximately 50 mph, the steering wheel seized without warning. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the torque sensor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Seagoville, TX, USA