NHTSA — Steering Problems

2008 Pontiac G6 (Page 7 of 14)

CarComplaints.com Seal Of This Might Hurt

CarComplaints.com Notes: Unfortunately the 2008 Pontiac G6 continues a serious trend of steering problems from the prior model years.

2008 Pontiac G6 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Pontiac G6:

2008 Pontiac G6 Owner Comments (Page 7 of 14)

Jul 012013

G6

It's a whining sound that you hear when you are turning the wheel.

- Greenville, TX, USA

Mar 102014

G6 4-cyl

I have been reading online about the power steering not working all the time which is kind of funny since there are incidents just this week that leave me having to replace some parts that are completely rusted! the professional that I spoke with said that there should be a protective cover over it to keep the part from rusting. I forget the name of it since I was mostly concerned with how much more will I have to put into fixing this car!! I started looking online today for recalls and I would like to know if I qualify. I am scared that I will end up hurting someone since when my steering does go out it pulls me either which way into other lanes. Thank god it hasn't happened on the highway yet but I'm sure that'll be my next battle with this pos.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Mar 102014

G6 4-cyl

While driving on expressway experienced loss of power steering and had to use all my strength to steer to shoulder. After examining under hood for broken belts to no avail I got back into car and started it to find the steering working fine again. I have since experienced steering failure in parking lot and turned car off, again steering was fine after restarting car.extremely scary, dangerous experience when steering goes out at speed !!!!!.

- Fenton, MI, USA

Mar 082014

G6

My wife was doing 70 mph down the toll-road with our 5 year old son when the power steering went out in car. My wife was very distraught over the whole ordeal becasue what could've happened. I saw GM had sb out for Pontiac G6 2008. I called GM and they said my VIN is not part of this safety bulletin. I don't know how it can't be since it's the same issue other 2008 G6 are having. GM is frustrating me after seeing others with same issue with VIN not falling into their criteria to have this covered by the manufacture.

- White Pigeon, MI, USA

Mar 082014

G6 4-cyl

The exact issue described in sb-10033624-1410 occurred with my vehicle, however GM did not include my VIN in the coverage. This is a serious issue since the vehicle cannot be safely operated without power steering. GM should be reviewing the criteria use to identify impacted vehicles. Fortunately I was able to get my vehicle to a dealer without injury or incident. However; I am very concerned that my vehicle (and other impacted owners) was not included in the original notification. It would have been beneficial to have been aware of this safety issue prior to experiencing loss of steering.

- Shakopee, MN, USA

Feb 112014

G6

Power steering keeps going out and wheel is shaking, seems to be a known problem with other G6 owners and has something to do with the eps system. Contacted GM and they are aware of the problem but not all 2008 G6's have a recall on them? only ones that fall under a certain VIN number which mine does not. Complete disappointment buying this vehicle. When my power steering goes out while driving and I or someone else dies maybe then GM will care enough to issue a recall on all of the vehicles they know have problems.

- Eden, WI, USA

Sep 292012

G6 4-cyl

The steering wheel shakes due to power steering which makes it hard to steer and unsafe to drive.

- Hampstead, MD, USA

Jan 102014

G6

Power steering light came on and steering started acting abnormal while sitting in park, shaking vigorously. While driving the vehicle the shaking increases dramatically from side to side. The car steering then tries to drive itself at random times and if not holding the wheel firmly the wheel would be ripped out of my hands. The power steering also loses power sometimes while sitting in park and/or while driving at various speeds. Took car to dealership and they performed the recall on steering and there is no change in steering (light is still on and steering is erratic). Was told that I would have to pay $685 for the steering column to be replaced. Referenced recall notice 10183 in which steering column sends signal causing loss of steering but dealer refuse to replace column. Contacted GM Pontiac (file # 71-1263309904) and was told that the only resolution was for me to pay the $685 for the replacement of the steering column. Was told this was the 3rd steering column in this car in 5 years.

- Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Dec 282013

G6 4-cyl

"power steering" warning message in the driver information console displayed along with chime to alert of an event. Dealer inspected and found the dtc C0460 for steering wheel position sensor, physical inspection found a worn sensor. Dealer replaced steering column and recalibrated the pscm to the vehicle, cleared codes and rechecked operation. Dealer found no open recalls in the us for this VIN, but did find reference to 2012 recall in Canada for power steering failure covering this make/model/year with replacement of steering column as corrective action plus power steering motor control module for 2008 specific.

- Troy, MI, USA

Dec 192013

G6 4-cyl

The steering wheel shakes and feels like it is out of control. I was told that the power steering module and motor assembly at the steering column needed to be replaced. This work was done at a cost of $810 I was also told that a recall for some 2008 G6 models had been issued with bulletin # 10183, however, my car was not in the VIN listing. Perhaps it should have been placed in the recall listing.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Oct 212013

G6 6-cyl

After this part was replaced at around 30,000 miles, it has failed again at 59,000 miles (seems to fail regularly at around the 30,000 mile marker). Clunking noise after when steering wheel is turned to the right or left. The noise is more notable during cold weather and during low speed turns (turn into parking lot spaces...90 degree turns). After having the vehicle diagnosed by a certified technician of a GM service center, the problem was identified as another "bad intermediate shaft." This part connects the steering wheel to the power steering gear assemble (non electric version). According to the technician, this is a known failure for this vehicle and other GM vehicles using the same platform. He has seen this failure on a regular basis (usually within a year or 2 of replacement). According to him, some of the other vehicles using the exact same platform have recalls on them for this part, but GM has not initiate a recall for the G6...only tsbs (technical service bulletin) at this point in time. Since this failure has not been declared a recall, it will cost the vehicle owner about $250 for the repair.

- Ogden (Washington Terrace), UT, USA

May 042011

G6 6-cyl

Clunking noise when steering wheel is turned to the right or left. The noise is more notable during cold weather and during low speed turns (turns into parking lot spaces...90 degree turns). After having the vehicle diagnosed by a certified technician of a GM service center, the problem was identified as a "bad intermediate shaft." This part connects the steering wheel to the power steering gear assemble (non electric version). The technician also stated that he had seen this problem on several GM models using an intermediate shaft (same platform as the G6), but as of that date there was not a recall for the problem...only a tsb (technical service bulletin). Cost for this repair is $253.90.

- Ogden (Washington Terrace), UT, USA

Oct 212013

G6

This car has a popping noise in the steering wheel. Was told to me normal. It feel really unsafe and so many people have this issue as well "the intermediary steering shaft" GM most know this and will not recall it!"!?!?! they should have to. What if someone dies!" please help, any at all would be great :)

- Potosi, MO, USA

Mar 022013

G6

As driver approached a 2 lane construction zone, the vehicle started to drift to the right. Driver attempted to contain vehicle in traffic lane but the steering wheel was not responsive. At some point the power steering assistance module reactivated but only managed to drive the vehicle into the concrete barriers on both sides of the highway resulting in heavy front-end passenger side damage and contact damage to all corners of the vehicle. Despite traveling both back and forth across two lanes several times and making contact with the barriers each time, neither front air bag deployed. Driver's head came in contact with his side window causing temporary loss of consciousness. Passenger's air bag cover was knocked askew but as noted did not activate. Emt's administered medical assistance at the scene, but did not Transport. Vehicle was towed from scene and subsequently judged "totaled". I purchased this vehicle exactly one week and 5 hours before this event. Notice I do not call it an accident: This vehicle and others from this model and year should be removed from our roads immediately. Manufacturer has a "service bulletin" out on the 'power steering assist'. they refer to it as a special coverage adjustment. See sb-10183

- West Chester, PA, USA

Mar 202013

G6 4-cyl

This car has had numerous issues since I bought it and I have taken the car to different repair shops and none of them can figure out what is wrong but they hear the problems. The steering makes a constant popping noise when accelerating or turning the wheel, the steering wheel locks when the car is in reverse, the brakes squeak, and underneath it sounds like the bottom of the car is going to fall out. It's pretty sad when you take this car to different professionals and they can't figure out what is wrong with the car but they clearly see there is a problem. This car is dangerous and needs to be recalled. Who wants to make payments on a car with numerous issues that can't be fixed.

- Portage, IN, USA

Aug 012013

G6

When I first noticed something was wrong I was driving out of a driveway, steering wheel started shaking, tire felt weird. (right front tire) like I had a flat tire. The tire itself was wobbling back and forth as well as the steering wheel, moving back and forth (left to right). We thought it was rack and pinion..or wheel bearing. We did flush out brake fluid in hopes this is what was wrong..?..but..I find out that there are mechanical issues with this model and steering column as well. I have notified the dealer and I am to check on any recalls on this model.

- Oroville, CA, USA

Aug 282013

G6

The contact owns a 2008 Pontiac G6. The contact was driving 25 mph when the power steering assist failed. The contact stated the vehicle was difficult to steer but was driven to the residence. The vehicle was not repaired or diagnosed for the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The approximate failure mileage was 76,471.

- Mount Airy , MD, USA

Aug 052013

G6

The contact owns a 2008 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that the vehicle would exhibit an abnormal grinding noise when reversing and attempting a turn. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection where they stated that the steering rack and pinion needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 82,500.

- Portland , OR, USA

Jul 012013

G6 4-cyl

I noticed while sitting at a stop light that my steering wheel started to shake, then also as I was driving, it jerked back and forth, constantly shaking. There is a grinding noise if the car is in park while the wheel shakes. I've seen many other people complaining about the same issues with this car and am wondering why the power steering system hasn't been recalled. I take very good care of my vehicle and this, being a single mother, is going to cause me to go broke for the amount of money that I'm being quoted to have it fixed. This is a huge safety issue and seems to be more common than I thought. GM should be concerned for the safety of its customers, passengers, and other drivers on the roads.

- Summerville, SC, USA

Aug 022013

G6

It is truly weird to get on this site and every site on the internet and see all the article about this car and the steering problems and a recall id not issued GM knew they have these issue and insted of fixing them they just retired Pontiac yes I have the thunking in the steering to and so do 1000S of other people who dont want to waste time typing this this car is driving people broke yes my steering makes the popping noise to.

- Coshocton, OH, USA