NHTSA — Service Brakes Problems

2009 Pontiac G6 (Page 3 of 3)

CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2009 is starting to have the same problems as previous model years, including the headlights blowing out due to bad connectors.

The wiring harness connections aren't a big deal to replace, as long as your dealer or mechanic doesn't charge you an arm & a leg to "diagnose" the problem.

2009 Pontiac G6 brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Pontiac G6:

2009 Pontiac G6 Owner Comments (Page 3 of 3)

Apr 012013

G6

When I press my brake pedal the lights go off but the rest of the time my lights are on (when I am not pressing the brake pedal) which has almost caused several accidents because the people behind me cannot tell when I am braking. It also causes me not to be able to use my cruise control because my cruise control thinks that I am hitting the brake which automatically turns off the cruise control.

- Fairview, TN, USA

Apr 052013

G6 6-cyl

My brake lights are staying on at all times, I have to pump the brakes before turning my car off or it kills the battery. This is a dangerous situation, one min I could step on the brakes and no brake lights come on...or they stay on the whole time.

- Watertown, NY, USA

Feb 072011

G6 4-cyl

2-7-2011 (21534 miles) brakes lights came on and stayed on but go off when brake is applied. Dealer turnpike Chevrolet (nitro, wv) repaired by installing "brake light sensor". warranty coverage 11-08-2011 (32214 miles) brakes lights came on and stayed on but go off when brake is applied. Dealer turnpike Chevrolet (nitro, wv) repaired by installing "brake lamp switch". warranty coverage 02-21-2013 (44578 miles) brakes lights came on and stayed on but go off when brake is applied. Dealer hurricane Chevrolet (hurricane, wv) repaired by installing "22666955 sensor kit". service advisor #162 polite but refused warranty coverage. $179.40.

- Hurricane, WV, USA

Nov 082011

G6 6-cyl

When driving vehicle brake lights remain illuminated constantly, when the brakes are not applied. Also cruise control is inoperative.

- Hinsdale, NY, USA

Jul 022012

G6 4-cyl

Vehicle brake lights remain on except when brake pedal is pushed, then it goes out. This has not caused an accident yet, but it has high potential if a sudden stop is needed there will no warning for the vehicle following ours.

- Howell, MI, USA

Mar 012012

G6 4-cyl

My brake lights keep staying on even when the brake pedal is not pressed. Went to the dealer and was told it is a common problem for Pontiac G6S. Been to the dealer 3 times in less than a year to get it fixed they just keep replacing the switch but now they say something else is wrong wires corroded. The 2005 G6 had recall for the exact same problem but my 2009 G6 is not on the recall list, same car different year.

- Southfield, MI, USA

Sep 092011

G6 6-cyl

While driving, cruise control will disengage and brake lights will flair on. Than when tap brakes, brake lights will shut off. Within a couple seconds, they will turn back on. When actually going to press on the brakes, have no brake lights than. This has also happened without using cruise control, just driving in general. Break lights will come on, than when press on the brake, they shut off. Couple seconds later, come back on. This is a huge safety issue while driving at night time(or during the daytime), not having brake lights when stopping. Do not feel safe driving with my children in the car. I have looked online, and found that I am not the only one having this issue: www.G6ownersclub.com/forum/showthread.php?T=6657 is a forum/thread of various G6 owners complaining about this issue and also believes they have come up with what the problem is. From what it sounds like, its a connector with the BCM (body control module) and it developing corrosion.

- Sartell, MN, USA