NHTSA — Service Brakes Problems

2009 Pontiac G6 (Page 2 of 3)

CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2009 is starting to have the same problems as previous model years, including the headlights blowing out due to bad connectors.

The wiring harness connections aren't a big deal to replace, as long as your dealer or mechanic doesn't charge you an arm & a leg to "diagnose" the problem.

2009 Pontiac G6 brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Pontiac G6:

2009 Pontiac G6 Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Mar 172014

G6 6-cyl

During my 12 mile commute to work, while about 3-4 miles away, my cruise control will disengage and the brake lights will illuminate, I'm guessing simultaneously. During this time the cruise control will not reset. I can depress the brake pedal slightly and the brake lights will go off. I can reset the cruise at this time. Within moments, however, the brake lights will come on and the cruise control will disengage again. I have read numerous other complaints similar in nature.

- Inman, KS, USA

Jan 072014

G6

I see that there is a recall for this very issue for years thru 2008. My brake lights are on when not braking and off when braking and of course the cruise control will not work during this issue. I see many complaints about this and I find it so hard to understand how this cannot be a safety issue and recalled to fix. I have almost been rearended many times and am wondering if someone has to be involved in a fatal accident before the nhsta forced the expansion of the recall to include all years that are having this issue.

- Marengo, IN, USA

Feb 142014

G6 6-cyl

I drive a Pontiac G6.. my brake lights just come on when ever they want. I have had it fixed by a dealer before, but can't afford to keep taking it back in. It has happen to my car 4 times in the last year. We have been using the a fix found on the internet but that doesn't work for long. As I drive 40 min. To and from work each day I fear that this is happening and could cause an accident. I also have seen many other G6's with the same problem while I'm driving. Please recall all for everyone's safety.

- Viola, IL, USA

Oct 112011

G6

While following my wife in our 2009 G6 I noticed that she was ridding the brakes. When I asked her why she said she wasn't using the brakes at all. The brake lights are coming on and staying on even when the brake pedal is not depressed.

- Canaan, VT, USA

Jul 012012

G6

While operating vehicle, brake lights work the opposite of what they should. They are on when the pedal is not depressed and go off when the pedal is depressed. I spent ~$300 having the brake pedal position sensor diagnosed and it turns out that the BCM (body control module) has corrosion and required dielectric paste to correct the issue. Approximately 14 months later the problem returned and I had a mechanic check for recall and he found a tech bulletin describing exactly this maintenance procedure. They performed it and the problem was corrected but this needs to be 100% corrected as someone is going to get killed. Searching forums online I see that this problem is far more common that one would think and this should be addressed immediately.

- Peterborough, NH, USA

Oct 282013

G6

This is on my daughter's car. I was following her and I noticed she was driving with her foot on the brake. I motioned her to pull over and asked her why she had her foot on the brake. She said she was not driving with her foot on the brake. Upon further investigation I found out the brake lights were staying on when the brake pedal was not depressed, but when she depressed the brake pedal the brake lights actually went off. This is an extremely unsafe condition. Doing research online I have found many other Pontiac G6 owners with the same problem. This needs to be addressed and fixed by GM.

- Weedsport, NY, USA

Oct 212013

G6 4-cyl

Brake lights came on automatically and stayed on until brake pedal was pressed. Upon going out, they would come back on in under a minute. I have had this happen before about a year ago and was told by the same dealership the first time it was the sensor casing. It was resealed and problem stopped. This time I was told resistance in BCM connectors. They cleaned and lube the terminals in both BCM connectors and reset bpp sensor. Yet I was charged this time eventhough it was the same issue reported. The service dept rep said it was a different fix and therefore not the same. I know this must be a defect because I have read other with the same issue.

- Detroit, MI, USA

Sep 022013

G6 4-cyl

Brake lights would come on without depressing brake pedal and cruise would disengage. Dealer advised a pedal switch needed to be replaced to correct. Also need to have front rotors machined and back brake rotors replaced. Seems like low miles for the back brakes to need replacement (country/highway driving).

- Mooers Fork, NY, USA

Sep 292013

G6 4-cyl

When traveling above about 10 mph the brake lights came on and the cruise control no longer worked. When the brake pedal was depressed, the brake lights went out until the car slowed to about 10 mph at which point the brake lights came back on. Braking was normal at all times. When pulling away from the stop, the brake lights came back on again around 10 mph. The car consistently did this over a trip of about 60 miles. When I took the car into the dealer, the issue wasn't present. The dealer replaced the brake switch and lubricated a connection. The issue has returned 2 days later. This issue could become dangerous especially during braking above 10 mph when following vehicles would not be aware that the car was braking.

- Germantown Hills, IL, USA

Jul 012013

G6

My 2009 Pontiac G6 rear brake lights are working opposite of how intended. When the brakes are not applied the brake lights remain activated, when I depress the brake pedal the brake lights turn off. The cruise control is also inoperative, most likely linked to the brake light issue. I called the dealership where I purchased the vehicle new and was told that nothing would be done about the issue because the warranty was over. I asked for information on how to repair the issue myself and was told none was available. Someone is going to get killed over this issue if fatalities have not already occurred.

- Mantua, NJ, USA

Jul 042013

G6 6-cyl

My brake lights are intermittently staying on while driving even though I am not using the brake pedal. The scary part is that they shut off when you hit the pedal and then come back on about 5 seconds later. I saw on the web that there is a known problem with corrosion on the BCM connections. There was a recall for previous years and GM has issued a technical service bulletin on how to fix it because there have been so many problems and complaints. I am going to try a quick fix I found on the Pontiac G6 forum before I have to take it to a dealer and spend my own money on an obvious defect.

- Totowa, NJ, USA

Sep 172013

G6 4-cyl

As I was traveling to work today, September 17th, a coworker was following me. When we arrived at work, he said that my brake lights were on the entire time he was behind me, about 4 miles. When I tapped my brakes to make the turn into our works parking lot, my coworker said the brake lights turned off and did not turn back on, even when I applied my brakes in the parking lot. I had the cruise control engaged during the 4 miles while doing 55. I had no issues with the cruise control.

- Wilmington, NC, USA

Sep 072013

G6 4-cyl

Brake lights stay on while vehicle is moving causing serious safety issue. I am afraid to drive the car fearing I will cause an accident and some one will be injured because of this obvious defect.

- Hudson, OH, USA

Sep 132012

G6

Brake lights come on intermittently causing cruise control to shut off. At the time, the only way to make the brake lights shut off was to step on the brake. Within the last week the brake lights are coming on more frequently and not shutting off at all. This can be a serious risk for accidents as anyone behind the vehicle believes the brakes are constantly being pressed.

- Clifton Forge, VA, USA

Aug 302013

G6

The contact owns a 2009 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that the brake lights would remain illuminated without having to engage the brakes. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The failure and current mileage was 60,000.

- Moweaqua, IL, USA

Jun 012012

G6 6-cyl

My brake lights stay on constantly while my car is on and driving. The brake lights go off when I hit the hit brake pedal.

- Wewoka, OK, USA

Jul 242013

G6 4-cyl

Was driving and notice my brake lights were staying on even though I wasn't hitting the brakes at the time, then when I would apply the brake the lights went off when I let up on the brake lights would come back on if this problem keeps going on with this car it is going to cause someone to have a wreak and get hurt.I think the company needs to have a recall on this part before someone sues the company for wrongful death. I have read many complaints on this issue and its time for the company to make a recall on it.

- Paducah, KY, USA

Jul 202013

G6

2009 Pontiac G6 I got on the highway and tried to switch on the cruise control and it wouldn't work so I pulled over to the side of the road to see what's wrong. When I got out of my car I noticed that the brake lights were on so I went back and pressed the brakes then they turned off. I started driving again but soon as I turned on the cruise control it comes on but turns right back off. But if I hit the brakes the cruise control will work again for a second then turns right back off that's when I realized that the brake lights come on when I drive but when I hit the breaks they turn off. Im only writing this because my car doesn't have 100,000 miles yet and I saw that your company started an investigation regarding this issue. I would like to know how this can be fixed because it's not just on the highway it's happening now all the time. This can be a safety issue so I'd rather get this fixed now. Please help. Thanks!

- Grand Rapids, MI, USA

Jul 022013

G6 4-cyl

I had someone following me home the other day and when we arrived they asked me why I kept putting on my brakes and letting off. I was not touching the brakes. We cranked up the car and stood behind it and watched and the brake lights would come on and go off without anyone even sitting in the car. I got in and started pressing the brake pedal and when I pressed the pedal the lights would go off. When I let off of the pedal the lights would come on. That's when I started searching this issue and found all the other people out there that have had the same issues with their G6's. in my opinion and everyone else that has this problem, this is a major safety issue. My daughter drives this car and it makes me extremely worried that something could happen. How in the world can GM not be taking action to resolve this problem considering how much talk they advertised about the quality of the new G6? GM needs to stand up and do the right thing here before someone really gets hurt or dies due to an accident involving these brake lights.

- Oxford, NC, USA

Jun 032013

G6

I was pulled over by a police office for suspected I was drunk driving. He said it was because of my erratic brake lights. After that by watching the rear window light at night I realized that my brake lights are on with no pedal applied, off when I apply the brakes and on again when I apply them hard. I now realize because the cruise control only works with the lights are off that this problem has been on going since I bought the car used last year. I took it to a shop to get fixed and the repair only lasted less than two days before failing again. I've read on the internet that this may become a recall but 2009 wasn't listed as one of the years. My G6 coupe 2009 has the same problem as described on the 05 thru 08.

- Plainfield, IN, USA