2009 Pontiac G6 steering NHTSA complaints: Steering

NHTSA — Steering Problems

2009 Pontiac G6 (Page 1 of 3)

CarComplaints.com Seal Of Pretty Good

CarComplaints.com Notes: We are rating the 2009 Pontiac G6 as "Pretty Good", but very tentatively because of the serious problems that prior model years have.

The only real problem showing up so far with the 2009 G6 is headlights blow out more frequently than normal. The blown headlight problem seems to be due to bad connectors.

The wiring harness connections aren't a big deal to replace, as long as your dealer or mechanic doesn't charge you an arm & a leg to "diagnose" the problem.

2009 Pontiac G6 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Pontiac G6:

2009 Pontiac G6 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Dec 032014

G6

I became the recent owner of the above vehicle. There is a noise from the steering column and the power steering is slightly hard to turn. There are two recalls for power steering problems with this vehicle however Chevrolet customer service says that there are no active recalls for the steering problems on this car. They gave me a reference #71-1410099624 for my call. This car is driven by college student daughter and I would not care for her to get stranded due to the steering power problem. I do not mind sending the car to a private mechanic, but I would rather take the car to a GM dealer if it qualifies for a recall.

- Miami, FL, USA

Dec 032014

G6

The contact owns a 2009 Pontiac G6. The contact stated while driving approximately 25 mph and attempting to make a right turn, the steering wheel seized. The contact slammed the brakes to avoid hitting a child which caused her to hit her head on the steering wheel. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The contact was made aware of NHTSA campaign id number: 14V153000 (steering), but the VIN was not included. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 100,000.

- Clinton, MI, USA

Oct 172014

G6

I was in a drive thru line at a local restaurant, when I attempted to move forward in line the power steering was not working and a power steering failure light appeared in the radio display screen. I had to turn off the ignition and restart the vehicle to clear the condition. This same problem occurred while pulling into a gas station. As I exited the highway and entered a gas station I lost power steering. On this occasion I was traveling at approximately 5 to 7 mph. I again had to shut off the ignition and restart to clear this condition. This problem has occurred on approximately 3 additional occasions.

- Capac, MI, USA

Nov 142014

G6

I turned into the parking lot where I worked. Alarm sounded, power steering went out, difficult to steer the car. Radio displayed: Power steering light. After work shift was done, power steering functioned. Carefully drove home. On route turned right onto to street, power steering went out & power steering light came on again. Swerved into turning lane: Steering was to difficult. Fortunate no one was in the lane. Carefully drove home. Power steering came back in. Next day, called dealer ship & GM. GM told me that there are three companies who made the electric power steering assist part for my model of G6 and that only one has been recalled. Even though I am having the same dangerous problem with my power steering, my VIN has not been included in the recall because my part came from one of the other two manufacturers. GM will not pay to have the part replaced. I'm driving my car, only when absolutely necessary, for very short distance to work, being very careful not to turn wheel too tightly, because the power steering assist has failed during turns. My concern is safety, the high cost of the repair and that other G6S & cars that are not under the recall, also have the defective electric power steering assist. The car is almost impossible to steer, even at low speeds, when the assist turns off. If this had happened to me while at a higher speed, I am sure I would have run into another car or off the road. I know I can't be the only 2009 G6 owner, not under the recall, having this power steering failure. I live alone. This is my only means of transportation. We are in a winter storm watch. GM has opened a case # 71-1392684238 and reported it to the dealership. I am supposed to call for an appointment. They will charge $55 just to "diagnose" the problem. I understand it is expensive to repair. GM will not pay for the repair.

- Grandville, MI, USA

Oct 062014

G6

On day of incident...drove approx 6 miles before complete failure of power steering which occurred after accelerating from full stop (stop sign). Did not regain power steering function for 3 miles until engine was shut completely off and restarted.

- Lowell, OH, USA

Nov 032014

G6

The contact owns a 2009 Pontiac G6. While driving approximately 30 mph, the steering wheel seized and excessive force was required in order to steer. The contact also stated that the power steering error displayed and a loud chime sounded throughout the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the power steering reservoir needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 78,000.

- Gaithersburg, MD, USA

Oct 252014

G6

Vehicle power assist steering failed at speed

- Colchester, VT, USA

Oct 092014

G6

The contact owns a 2009 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that while driving 40 mph, the steering wheel became difficult to turn. The power steering warning indicator was illuminated. The problem was recurring. The vehicle was taken a dealer. The technician was not able to diagnose or repaired the failure. The manufacturer was not notified about the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 64,000.

- Overland Park, KS, USA

Jul 072014

G6

The contact owns a 2009 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that while driving approximately 5 mph, the steering wheel became difficult to turn as the ESC warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer. The technician diagnosed that the steering column needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacture was made aware of the failure and stated that the VIN was not included in recall NHTSA campaign number: 14V153000 (steering). The failure mileage was 120,666.

- Fort Myers, FL, USA

Feb 032014

G6

The contact owns a 2009 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that while driving at an unknown speed, the steering wheel seized and excessive force on the steering wheel was required. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for a diagnostic testing. The technician rebuilt the steering column and replaced the lower control arm. The contact referenced NHTSA campaign number: 14E04000 (steering) and NHTSA campaign number: 14V153000 (steering. However, the VIN was not included in any recalls. Also, the contact indicated that the battery had to be replaced four times due to electrical voltage fluctuations. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 125,000.

- Oak Park, MI, USA

Sep 222014

G6

The contact owns a 2009 Pontiac G6. While driving approximately 5 mph, the power steering failed and the power steering warning indicator illuminated. The steering wheel became extremely difficult to turn. The contact was able to maneuver to a safe location where the engine was turned off. After restarting, the vehicle resumed normally. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 89,000.

- Bayou La Batre, AL, USA

Sep 122014

G6

On Sep 12th 2014 there was a fire in my 2009 Pontiac G6. Luckily someone nearby had a fire extinguisher and put it out, and all occupants escaped unharmed. It is currently at a GM dealer in owing mills md, and they told me that their assessment is that the power steering hose somehow came to rest on the exhaust pipe or catalytic converter, or that the heat shield around the hose had broken. This then caused the power steering fluid to hit the exhaust system which then caused the fire. Another mechanic that I had it towed to before the dealer (I assumed going to the dealer to diagnose the cause of the problem was best) told me that he cannot believe that they would design the car so that the power steering hose would be so close to such hot parts--an insurance adjustor who say the car today also said that the replacement that the dealer has since put in is in the spot that it was designed for, but he too cannot believe how careless it was to design it there-I looked online and saw a number of other posts from people that had this exact problem-the resulting fire destroyed the air conditioner hose assembly, and the mechanic at the dealer told me it also damaged the evaporator line-he also told me that it is amazing that it was designed to be so tight to the exhaust system-thank god no one was hurt, and when the fire happened the car was being driven slowly in a neighborhood, instead of on the highway which it had just exited.

- Oak Park, MI, USA

Feb 252014

G6

The contact owns a 2009 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that while driving approximately 55 mph the power steering suddenly malfunctioned making the steering wheel very difficult for the driver to turn. The contact indicated that prior to the malfunction occurring a chiming noise was activated inside the vehicle. After turning the engine off and back on the vehicle operated as normal before the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the failure was caused by faulty wiring inside the steering column. The steering column was replaced and the failure was remedied. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 87,000

- Ray, MI, USA

Aug 082014

G6

For several week, car has been displaying "power steering" message, at which time the vehicle becomes difficult to steer. At the referenced incident above, the "power steering" message illuminated and the vehicle power steering failed, and did not return to operation, even after turning off and re-starting car. This model is not part of the current GM recall, although 2009 G6's have been recalled.

- Wilmington, DE, USA

Jul 242014

G6

Wife was driving vehicle onto rt 46 here in austintown, Ohio when the power steering light came on and she lost steering. She had not reached the speed limit of 40mph when this occurred. She managed to get the vehicle of the road and into a gas station lot going up over a curb parked it and then called me to come and get her. I drove the vehicle home about a quarter of a mile without the power steering. I then called Pontiac's customers services and to no prevail got any satisfaction. I then made an appointment with spitzer autoworld here in lordstown, Ohio for Friday Aug 1st.,had the vehicle looked over, they told me that the problem was with the steering column and that it has to be replaced. I see that GM has recalls for steering problems on the same year, make and model but my VIN# doesnot fall in this recall. So as of Monday Aug 1st I will be back on the phone with Pontiac

- Austintown, OH, USA

Jul 242014

G6

The contact owns a 2009 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that while driving at 25 mph the steering wheel became difficult to turn. The vehicle had not been repaired. The contact was made aware of a recall notification under NHTSA campaign number:14V153000 (steering) but the VIN was not included. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 89,500. Updated 9/4/14

- Youngstown, OH, USA

Feb 012013

G6

The contact owns a 2009 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 10 mph, an audible alarm activated inside the vehicle as the power steering warning light illuminated.in addition, the power steering failed and the steering wheel was difficult to maneuver. The failure occurred on multiple occasions. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the steering column and the power steering torque sensor failed. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 55,310.

- Elkhorn, WI, USA

Jul 022013

G6 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Pontiac G6. The contact stated while driving at an unknown speed, the steering wheel became difficult to maneuver. The contact mentioned that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V153000 (steering). The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The technician diagnosed that the electronic steering motor module assembly needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 30,000 and the current mileage was 31,000. Updated 09/02/14 updated 09/18/2014

- Janesville, WI, USA

Jul 192014

G6

At low speed the vehicle made a loud "pop" sound, which was immediately followed by smoke filling the interior via the air vents. The car was immediately shut off and the hood opened. The engine compartment was on fire with flames between the engine and fire wall. Upon putting the fire out it was found that the power steering fluid had leaked out of the car onto the exhaust manifold, resulting in melting the engine wiring and other components. The entire side of the car was sprayed with power steering fluid and the top of the fender had black soot from the fire. The hood pad and fire wall insulation showed large amounts of fire damage.

- West Haven, CT, USA

Feb 222014

G6

On 2/22/14 around 8:40 am, I was traveling to work. I had stopped at an intersection and was waiting for the left turn signal to turn green. When the turn signal turned greened I proceeded to turn; however, the steering wheel would not turn. I was in utter panic. I pulled as hard as I could and barely got it to turn in time to avoid hitting another car that was preparing to make the right turn and a pedestrian waiting on the curb to cross. I continued driving to stop from impeding traffic and tried to move the steering will but I had completely lost powering steering. I had to try and turn off a busy congested main street, when I did my car swung out really far due to lack of power steering. I'm just glad that I waited before turning or else I would have been hit by a city bus. I parked and called a tow truck and they towed my car to to a GM dealership. When I asked if there was a recall because of the dangerous nature of the occurrence, the dealer said there was no recall on file for my VIN so I had to pay over $750 for the repair.

- Salinas, CA, USA