NHTSA — Steering Problems

2009 Pontiac G6 (Page 1 of 7) Notes: The 2009 is starting to have the same problems as previous model years, including the headlights blowing out due to bad connectors.

The wiring harness connections aren't a big deal to replace, as long as your dealer or mechanic doesn't charge you an arm & a leg to "diagnose" the problem.

2009 Pontiac G6 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Pontiac G6:

2009 Pontiac G6 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 7)

Sep 132016

Yesterday, my power steering locked up while backing the car. I shut the car off and restarted and the power steering began working. I called Pontiac in regards to the steering recall and they stated that my VIN did not indicate a recall for this issue. The same issue other cars same year as mine have been recalled for. It would be at my expense to correct. I don't understand why it isn't every manufactured 2009 Pontiac G6 with eps.

- Oakhill, OH, USA

Sep 012016

Just purchased a G6 and several recalls have been issued for 2009.

- Malden, MO, USA

Aug 162016

While driving the power steering turns off. This is a hazard because it is startling and causes the steering wheel to get very tight making it difficult to steer. This can occur without warning. It continues to be like this until the car is turned off and back on. But occurs again at different times without warning.

- Hilmar, CA, USA

Aug 032016

I had power steering lose about a year ago and then it just happened again yesterday. When I shut the car off it like resets and then it's fine I also had a friend of mine text me and told me that my brake lights were backwards when I when I was breaking the lights were off when I was driving and my brake lights were on. I have also always noticed that my car shifts weird sometimes when I'm passing it doesn't seem like I can get up to speed. I have also had trouble with my passenger front airbag sensor since I've had the car. I bought my car and 2010 it was only a year old with very few miles. Right now I only have about 81,000 miles on it. With all of my incidents with the power steering and brake lights I have been in town driving all were in motion. In town driving has probably been about 35 mile an hour I would never want to experience or have any of these on the highway.

- Kenton, OH, USA

Jun 012016

G6 4-cyl

2009 Pontiac G6. Consumer requests assistance in electric power steering recall notice repairs and vehicle manufacturer denial for additional coverage protection for power steering problems. The consumer stated when the steering failed, she pulled over, cut the engine off and restarted it again. The consumer was informed the vehicle would not be fixed, because it was over the required mileage.

- Memphis, TN, USA

Jun 062016

Power steering goes out exp when it is cold. Goes out without warning. It makes the car extremely hard to drive. GM says tough luck due to my VIN. The issue a recall for pr but only cover a fraction of the cars with problems. This has been happening for years and they do nothing about it.

- Troy, MI, USA

Apr 192016

On 4/19/2016 while driving the car at around 35mph it started to drift left and when tried to correct the situation the steering was unresponsive as if locked up causing a collision with an on coming vehicle. The accident happened on a two lane straight city street on a clear day and nearly was a head on collision. The drivers side front received most of the damage. Windows shattered and airbags did deploy.

- Falling Waters, WV, USA

Mar 262016

We lost power steering on my car. We have replaced the electric steering motor and the torque sensor. Still no luck still at the shop and their not sure what else to do.we also contacted GM and they gave us no help just that there was nothing that they could do for us.

- Vernon, IL, USA

Aug 202009

Please read file attachment_one.pdf.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Mar 202016

The contact owns a 2009 Pontiac G6. While driving 35 mph, the power steering failed and the steering wheel became extremely difficult to maneuver without warning. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The contact was made aware of NHTSA campaign number: 14E044000 (steering); however, the VIN was not included. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 104,600.

- Canfield, OH, USA

Mar 022016

Loss of power steering while driving on city streets with message "service power steering soon" also "door ajar" warning light with all doors securely closed. Vehicle has maintenance free electronic power steering system.

- Memphis, TN, USA

Feb 112016

I was driving and my steering wheel locked up on me while I was on a highway something popped up on my radio saying power steering service ESC I couldn't turn almost had accident

- Lilburn, GA, USA

Feb 082016

Power steering goes out recently while driving. Once I turn off the car the electric steering assist resets and the power steering is fine for awhile while driving. Then it goes out again.... and it occurs a majority of the time while turning. GM says the recall is VIN number specific. I have the right year, make, and model. But, my VIN number does not bring up a recall for the issue. I am not understanding. It is the same and a most dangerous issue that other 2009 Pontiac G6's have. What if my son, who is learning to drive with his permit, was behind the wheel at the time? I think GM needs to look into adding a few more VIN numbers to their recall list. I believe that reading others posts prior to mine shows this also... especially needs to happen before something serious happens.

- Greeley, CO, USA

Jan 072015

G6 4-cyl

2009 Pontiac G6. Consumer writes in regards to vehicle power steering issues. The consumer stated the steering wheel would lock up while driving down the road. The consumer stated the steering locking up, was a result of the steering torque input being defective.

- Albion, MI, USA

Jan 032016

The contact owns a 2009 Pontiac G6. While driving 70 mph, the steering wheel became difficult to turn. The contact had to apply force to the steering wheel in order to steer the vehicle. In addition, the contact stated that "power steering" was displayed across the message board. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The contact was aware of NHTSA campaign number: 14V153000 (steering). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 179,000.

- Glouster, OH, USA

Jan 172016

My car has now also lost power steering on more than one occasion (loss of power steering first occurred this year)the power steering warning light illuminated. The failure recurred intermittently and my headlights keep going out, even when the bulbs are brand new (this has been an ongoing issue for two years now). When I smack the headlights, they come back on. I do not always feel safe when driving this car.

- Canton, MS, USA

Sep 152015

"takata recall" I bought my car from james corlew and was coming home parked it. Next day I went outside to take it to the car wash going down a hill and when I turned my wheel my car jumped all the lights and speedometer went off the radio flickered and and out and my car died mid driving down a hill I turned into the gas station down my hill and put it in park and turned it and to the off position. And started it back up and it came on fine I took it back to my dealer and told him what was wrong with me and he just told me that it had an electrical jumpstart where it had been sitting for a long time. I week passes and I'm going to work park it. I get off and it's 9 O'clock and I'm turning onto a highway I pulled out and my car jumped again but it didn't shut off the power staring warning came on on my radio and the steering went out. I drove to the nearest gas station and put it in park and turned it off sat there for less than a minute and turned it back on and it was fine. It did it two more times while I was driving to school. I was tired of it happening so I took it back to my car lot and ask them if it had any recalls on it they told me no it only had one on the back taillight and the gearshift. So they acted like they couldn't do anything and I only had the car for two months now it's steering easy to the right but steering hard to the left. And they say there's no recall on it but I looked up online that 2009 G6 has recalls on it about the power steering but I haven't got no paper and the mail from GM I'm not paying for their mistakes. If I get into a wreck over it somebody will get sued. Because I let james corlew no three times and they all told me it was nothing. There was one previous owner so if it had a recall on it could the paper have went to them on accident?

- Clarksville, TN, USA

Dec 012015

The contact owns a 2009 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that while driving at 3 mph and making a U-turn, the vehicle started smoking without warning. The contact pulled the vehicle over and opened the hood and noticed the vehicle was on fire. The contact was able to extinguish the fire. There was no police report filed. There were no injuries sustained. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic where the vehicle was diagnosed that the motor mounts and the power steering lines needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 56,500.

- Patchogue, NY, USA

Oct 212015

I was driving down the freeway and my steering suddenly felt tighter than usual. When I exited the freeway and made right turn it was extremely hard to turn. The warning came on that said check power steering.

- Dallas, TX, USA

May 132015

The contact owns a 2009 Pontiac G6. While driving 10 mph, the steering wheel made a loud noise and began to shake uncontrollably. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 99,479.

- Birmingham , AL, USA