2009 Pontiac G6 steering NHTSA complaints: Steering

NHTSA — Steering Problems

2009 Pontiac G6 (Page 1 of 7)

CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2009 is starting to have the same problems as previous model years, including the headlights blowing out due to bad connectors.

The wiring harness connections aren't a big deal to replace, as long as your dealer or mechanic doesn't charge you an arm & a leg to "diagnose" the problem.

2009 Pontiac G6 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Pontiac G6:

2009 Pontiac G6 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 7)

Dec 212016

G6

The power steering goes out intermittently while driving and I have to shut the car off in order to fix it. I had the power steering assist motor replaced but this did not solve the issue. While researching, I found a recall on this very issue although it does not come up when I put in my vehicle's VIN number. It is recall NHTSA # 14V153000. Please let me know how I can get this issue fixed under this recall. I am fearful of driving my car as there is no warning of when this major safety issue is going to happen.

- Moore, OK, USA

Dec 262016

G6

While driving down a city street and turning right down another street my dic flashed error message power steering. While nothing has happened as of yet on 12/26/2016, I have looked into the recalls regarding all other model years of the Pontiac G6 with the electric power steering issue. It concerns me deeply. This is my wife's car and she drives it to work daily, takes our 17 year old to work, and drives our 4 and 10 year olds places too. I'm fearing for there lives knowing that at any moment the power steering could go out and cause a fatal accident. While knowing that almost all other G6's are covered under the recall except ours is very upsetting. I can not afford to take this to a GM dealer for them to fix this issue. I'm not necessarily looking for free parts and labor to fix this issue, but for the safety of me, my family, other G6 owners not on the recall, and other motorists on the road. Thank you.

- Corbin, KY, USA

Dec 042016

G6

Power steering quit without warning. Had just stopped thankfully

- Maysville, OK, USA

May 262016

G6 6-cyl

I've purchased vehicle in may2016. I notice alignment and suspension issue right away. I was told they would fix drifting problems I got it in righting. I've had six alignment. I drive terrified everyday. No one can figure out why car just don't drive straight. The car steering seems like it don't match up with my turns. Or like it does not hug the road.very scary when windy especially when rainy.stopping I feel as if the car wants to turn. Just don't seem stable.I have to push all highway going to work.I just got out of paper tags after 120 days. The streets seem uneven. While driving.I need help. Ive consulted attorney general off. Also mva. I purchased car from waldorf Chevrolet in waldof md Pontiac GT G6 2009

- Se, DC, USA

Oct 232016

G6 4-cyl

I put in a complaint about my G6 just the other day and the power steering fluctuating on and off and my steering wheel moving uncontrollably while in idle. I stated how I have an 18 month old and hate driving with her in the car because I was afraid the power steering would go out while driving. Unfortunately, that happened over the weekend. I was driving home and the power steering light came on and there was no more power steering assist. Fortunately I wasn't on curve or had to turn anytime soon. Being a petite woman, I barely had enough strength to pull over on the side of the road and wait for my husband to show up and drive it the rest of the way home. This is a serious safety issue and I'm fortunate that I was on a road that could have caused an accident. Why is my car not on a recall list? I want this fixed.

- Monte Vista, CO, USA

Oct 172016

G6 4-cyl

Power steering warning began coming on a few months ago on the display. The steering wheel would not turn when this would happen. The car would have to be shut off and restarted to get the warning to go away and the wheel to turn. Sometimes it took more than one attempt. At one point it took half an hour of restarting the car to get the power steering to work. I noticed when the car was in idle, the steering wheel would shake. One day, the problem just went away. Well, the other day, this started again, only it's been much worse.. the car has to be shut off and restarted several times. In idle, the steering wheel shakes so hard that it shakes the whole car.when driving, the car now jerks to the right and the steering wheel is hard to keep straight because of the shaking! I have been so afraid the power steering will go out when I'm driving. I have an 18 month old daughter that I hate putting into the car because if it does go out and I lose control, I don't want her to lose her life. I researched my car and found out my power steering is all electric. What should I do from here? I fear for my life & my child's every time I get in my vehicle. It shouldn't be that way.

- Monte Vista, CO, USA

Sep 132016

G6

Yesterday, my power steering locked up while backing the car. I shut the car off and restarted and the power steering began working. I called Pontiac in regards to the steering recall and they stated that my VIN did not indicate a recall for this issue. The same issue other cars same year as mine have been recalled for. It would be at my expense to correct. I don't understand why it isn't every manufactured 2009 Pontiac G6 with eps.

- Oakhill, OH, USA

Sep 012016

G6

Just purchased a G6 and several recalls have been issued for 2009.

- Malden, MO, USA

Aug 162016

G6

While driving the power steering turns off. This is a hazard because it is startling and causes the steering wheel to get very tight making it difficult to steer. This can occur without warning. It continues to be like this until the car is turned off and back on. But occurs again at different times without warning.

- Hilmar, CA, USA

Aug 032016

G6

I had power steering lose about a year ago and then it just happened again yesterday. When I shut the car off it like resets and then it's fine I also had a friend of mine text me and told me that my brake lights were backwards when I when I was breaking the lights were off when I was driving and my brake lights were on. I have also always noticed that my car shifts weird sometimes when I'm passing it doesn't seem like I can get up to speed. I have also had trouble with my passenger front airbag sensor since I've had the car. I bought my car and 2010 it was only a year old with very few miles. Right now I only have about 81,000 miles on it. With all of my incidents with the power steering and brake lights I have been in town driving all were in motion. In town driving has probably been about 35 mile an hour I would never want to experience or have any of these on the highway.

- Kenton, OH, USA

Jun 012016

G6 4-cyl

2009 Pontiac G6. Consumer requests assistance in electric power steering recall notice repairs and vehicle manufacturer denial for additional coverage protection for power steering problems. The consumer stated when the steering failed, she pulled over, cut the engine off and restarted it again. The consumer was informed the vehicle would not be fixed, because it was over the required mileage.

- Memphis, TN, USA

Jun 062016

G6

Power steering goes out exp when it is cold. Goes out without warning. It makes the car extremely hard to drive. GM says tough luck due to my VIN. The issue a recall for pr but only cover a fraction of the cars with problems. This has been happening for years and they do nothing about it.

- Troy, MI, USA

Apr 192016

G6

On 4/19/2016 while driving the car at around 35mph it started to drift left and when tried to correct the situation the steering was unresponsive as if locked up causing a collision with an on coming vehicle. The accident happened on a two lane straight city street on a clear day and nearly was a head on collision. The drivers side front received most of the damage. Windows shattered and airbags did deploy.

- Falling Waters, WV, USA

Mar 262016

G6

We lost power steering on my car. We have replaced the electric steering motor and the torque sensor. Still no luck still at the shop and their not sure what else to do.we also contacted GM and they gave us no help just that there was nothing that they could do for us.

- Vernon, IL, USA

Aug 202009

G6

Please read file attachment_one.pdf.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Mar 202016

G6

The contact owns a 2009 Pontiac G6. While driving 35 mph, the power steering failed and the steering wheel became extremely difficult to maneuver without warning. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The contact was made aware of NHTSA campaign number: 14E044000 (steering); however, the VIN was not included. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 104,600.

- Canfield, OH, USA

Mar 022016

G6

Loss of power steering while driving on city streets with message "service power steering soon" also "door ajar" warning light with all doors securely closed. Vehicle has maintenance free electronic power steering system.

- Memphis, TN, USA

Feb 112016

G6

I was driving and my steering wheel locked up on me while I was on a highway something popped up on my radio saying power steering service ESC I couldn't turn almost had accident

- Lilburn, GA, USA

Feb 082016

G6

Power steering goes out recently while driving. Once I turn off the car the electric steering assist resets and the power steering is fine for awhile while driving. Then it goes out again.... and it occurs a majority of the time while turning. GM says the recall is VIN number specific. I have the right year, make, and model. But, my VIN number does not bring up a recall for the issue. I am not understanding. It is the same and a most dangerous issue that other 2009 Pontiac G6's have. What if my son, who is learning to drive with his permit, was behind the wheel at the time? I think GM needs to look into adding a few more VIN numbers to their recall list. I believe that reading others posts prior to mine shows this also... especially needs to happen before something serious happens.

- Greeley, CO, USA

Jan 072015

G6 4-cyl

2009 Pontiac G6. Consumer writes in regards to vehicle power steering issues. The consumer stated the steering wheel would lock up while driving down the road. The consumer stated the steering locking up, was a result of the steering torque input being defective.

- Albion, MI, USA