CarComplaints.com Notes: We are rating the 2009 Pontiac G6 as "Pretty Good", but very tentatively because of the serious problems that prior model years have.

The only real problem showing up so far with the 2009 G6 is headlights blow out more frequently than normal. The blown headlight problem seems to be due to bad connectors.

The wiring harness connections aren't a big deal to replace, as long as your dealer or mechanic doesn't charge you an arm & a leg to "diagnose" the problem.

2009 Pontiac G6 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Pontiac G6:

2009 Pontiac G6 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Mar 232014

G6

TL-the contact owns a 2009 Pontiac G6. The contact stated while driving approximately 35 mph, there was a sudden loss of power steering with the illumination of the warning indicator. The contact continued to drive cautiously with force being applied to the steering wheel. The vehicle was taken to an authorize dealer where they replaced the steering wheel torque input sensor. The manufacturer was not notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 39,957.

- Canton, OH, USA

Mar 172014

G6

I was driving my 2009 Pontiac G6 and was attempting to make a right hand turn from one street onto another, at which time I lost all power steering assistance and a chime went off with an indicator on dash. I proceeded to hit the curb damage my tire and rim. I turn ignition off and restart and it will work for a day or two and randomly turn off assist power steering. I have seen a recall for earlier model G5 for electric power steering failure, that does not cover G6. I beileve it needs to be investigated to possibly extend the recall to 2009 G6.

- Clinton, MI, USA

Apr 042014

G6

Clear day, dry, straight, flat road, no obstructions. Saw 2 vehicles stopped at red light, well ahead of me. Removed foot from gas pedal for normal braking and stop. When applied brakes, they did not slow my car down. Tried more pressure on brakes, but they were so "stiff", car still did not respond. When impact obvious, tried to steer toward clear lane on left to avoid straight-on impact. Thought might cause less injury to all and less damage. Steering wheel would not move. Struck the vehicle straight-on from rear at about 35 mph. Air bag deployed. Wearing seat belt. Taken from car by emergency medical technicians, then by ambulance to hospital emergency room. Several X-rays taken, plus either cat scan of head. Told no bones broken, given shot of morphine and prescription for norco. Driven home and went to sleep. Remember nothing of next day or fact I was given discharge instructions. Found yesterday and have made appointment to follow up with doctor for headaches, migraines, limited use of left hand, loss of words, thought and short term memory. Other pain, I assume is from jolt of impact or "whiplash."

- Ponder, TX, USA

Nov 262013

G6

Driving on the highway, my car started to drift and I went to correct and the car flipped 4 times. I was unable to steer left or right, the steering locked up. There was a police officer right behind me when this happened, I did not get a ticket for anything. The car was totaled. The two passengers were taken to the emergency room and later released with minor injures. Now I am experiencing headaches and back pain and knee pain.

- St Anthony, ID, USA

Mar 272014

G6

Steering wheel became hard to steer while vehicle was trying to turn and was unable to make complete turn due to difficulty in steering.

- Dumont, NJ, USA

Jun 012012

G6

Rear passenger door will not lock/unlock. Heater on front passenger seat will not work. Tire service monitor comes on randomly. Cruise control works intermittently, but does not work more often than it does. Loud, rubbing noise coming from steering column when making turns. Low beam headlights work intermittently (got stopped by a policeman and warned of a citation the next time I would get stopped). I had one bulb changed. Two weeks later it went out, but the bulb was not burnt. Then, it started working again. A month or so later the other one went out. I had both wiring harnesses changed and new bulbs put in. Recently, I was told I had a burnt headlight (low beam again). I have been stopped on the interstate to be told that my brakes were flashing (while driving) and then they were working opposite of what they should be (brake lights on while driving and off while braking). I have seen other Pontiac G6's with the same issue. This is a very dangerous issue in my opinion as I could easily be rear-ended due to faulty brakes. I have read similiar issues by other Pontiac G6 owners. Will recalls be issued for any of these issues? I am a single parent and do not have money to pour into this car so most of it stays broken! sad considering I paid over $26K for this car and still owe over $10,000, yet it's worth probably $7,000. I can't even sell it with these issues!!! I would love to travel, but I don't even feel safe in this car any longer.

- Lafayette, LA, USA

Feb 262014

G6

I was driving behind a vehicle who stopped suddenly and when I braked, a power steering message came across the radio and I was unable to turn my vehicle left or right. The car makes a clicking sound when the power steering locks up. It can lock up in the middle of driving or when starting my car.

- Jacksonville , FL, USA

Mar 032014

G6

Initially power steering worked on and off sporadically. When power steering was working, steering wheel shook uncontrollably and caused the wheel to steer in unintended directions. When power steering is not working, light comes on and steering is almost impossible. Power steering would cease in the middle of driving causing a very dangerous situation. A week later, power steering does not work at all. GM states there are no recalls. The steering column has a recall in older models with the exact same issue, however, GM refuses to acknowledge. This issue is very dangerous and requires immediate attention. Estimated cost for repair: $1,200.

- Bartlett, IL, USA

Feb 182014

G6

Electric power steering failure. Unable to turn vehicle at low speeds, difficult at high speeds

- Metamora, MI, USA

Jan 052014

G6

Power steering shuts off at random while driving, affecting the ability to control direction of steering almost completely

- Stony Brook, NY, USA

Jan 022014

G6 4-cyl

Power steering no longer works and warning on it comes up on display. There is many complaints for this failure has been reported. My wife and I would not have bought this car if we would have been told about it ahead of time. GM does have a recall on other models of similar vehicles. My would have been in a accident if she would have been driving at the time. She drives this car most of the time. I can understand a failure on a part with high mileage but they have been having issues with this part. I have driven many cars with hydraulic power steering with mileage much higher miles and never had a problem. The repair is very pricey to fix. I believe this problem is very dangerous and they are deceiving the public for not fixing it and reporting it to buyers.

- Hicksville, OH, USA

Oct 222013

G6 4-cyl

The power steering just stopped working the light came on that said power steering esc. This is very very dangerous. Called GM and they said that the there was not a recall on 2009 GS6. I told them there were recalls for this in previous years and it appears that they have not gotten it corrected.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Aug 172013

G6

The contact owns a 2009 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that the steering wheel failed while exiting a highway. The steering wheel seized with the illumination of the power steering warning light. The contact was able to park by turning the steering wheel with extreme force. The steering wheel returned to normal function for a brief moment. The vehicle was taken to the dealer several times for the steering failure however, the dealer advised the contact that steering system was operating as designed. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure and current mileage was 45,000.

- Jersey City , NJ, USA

May 022013

G6

Intermittent very hard up shifts (including changes from park-drive etc), cruise flys off and stops working while going down road, speedometer stops working and flickers randomly, car flashes "power steering" on radio panel and "error" on odometer read, hard turning, car loses power as it revs to realize it needs to shift (automatic transmission) initially, restarting car would help for awhile, but now the problem is consistent. GM dealership could not diagnose problem and thought it was loose wiring. After not being able to trace the communication errors the dealership simply gave it back with no fix or answers. Major issue considering the car has only 36500 miles to date with an issue clearly other Pontiac G6 owners have had to deal with as well. The inconsistent issue has contributed to a recent car accident.

- Falcon, CO, USA

Jun 152012

G6 6-cyl

G6 began to shift gears on its own in the middle of the highway leading to near accidents due to sudden stops or slow downs. Cars transmission locked in park and won't reverse. Car begins to reverse on its own in park but ends up catching itself back in park. Transmission seems to be set on park and won't change to go in reverse. Also the power steering high pressure hose burst at random while driving straight, caused severe melting of various wires around it. Nearly lit the car on fire after causing the starter to catch fire from the power steering fluid getting inside of it.

- Houston, TX, USA

Oct 012012

G6 4-cyl

While driving the vehicle on a city street ( where speeds are slow) the power steering indicator flashed on the dashboard and power steering failed to work. It was incredibly hard to turn the steering wheel and I almost turned the vehicle into oncoming traffic. The car has low mileage on it. When I took the car to the dealer, he said I needed to replace the power steering motor and the column had to be replaced with it. This appears to be a manufacture defect in the vehicle but again I had to pay out of pocket for the repairs. It was a costly repair.

- Rochester, NY, USA

Jan 152013

G6 4-cyl

Started car and power steering warning light came on and a chime sound and power steering was gone. When I researched found that many G6 models have been recalled with same problem. Repair will be for part in electrical model for power steering and part in steering column. When researched found many items regarding recall on G6 models up to 2008 with exactly the same problems. Repair cost will run over $12000. My car is a 2009 with only 55,000 miles. I do not believe I should be having this problem with this low mileage.

- Batavia, OH, USA

Nov 292012

G6 6-cyl

When turning at slower speeds and tighter cornering a squeaking noise is heard from the steering column. Also when pushing and pulling on the steering wheel the squeaking noise is heard. Had similar issue on 2003 Pontiac. Seems they would have corrected it in 6 years.told by dealership on 2003 Pontiac that it was grease pack issue and needed replacing. Very expensive to fix.

- Linden, MI, USA

Jan 302012

G6 4-cyl

I was stopped at a red light waiting to make a right turn, when I went to turn the power steering was gone. Took to a garage, code C0545 was found, garage re-calibrated the system. Then on 2/4/2012 the power steering went out completely again while attempting to turn around. The wheel is extremely difficult to turn, and vibrates when attempting to turn the steering wheel. The steering wheel on straight road has play in it also once the power steering is gone. This is an extremely scary situation, and my 16 year old daughter drives this car periodically.

- South Vienna, OH, USA

Oct 262011

G6 4-cyl

Power steering fails when making a sharp turn, like in a drive through or driveway. Since October there has been 3 separate times this has happened.

- Charlotte , NC, USA