NHTSA — Steering Problems

2009 Pontiac G6 (Page 2 of 7)

CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2009 is starting to have the same problems as previous model years, including the headlights blowing out due to bad connectors.

The wiring harness connections aren't a big deal to replace, as long as your dealer or mechanic doesn't charge you an arm & a leg to "diagnose" the problem.

2009 Pontiac G6 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Pontiac G6:

2009 Pontiac G6 Owner Comments (Page 2 of 7)

Dec 012015

G6

The contact owns a 2009 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that while driving at 3 mph and making a U-turn, the vehicle started smoking without warning. The contact pulled the vehicle over and opened the hood and noticed the vehicle was on fire. The contact was able to extinguish the fire. There was no police report filed. There were no injuries sustained. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic where the vehicle was diagnosed that the motor mounts and the power steering lines needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 56,500.

- Patchogue, NY, USA

Oct 212015

G6

I was driving down the freeway and my steering suddenly felt tighter than usual. When I exited the freeway and made right turn it was extremely hard to turn. The warning came on that said check power steering.

- Dallas, TX, USA

May 132015

G6

The contact owns a 2009 Pontiac G6. While driving 10 mph, the steering wheel made a loud noise and began to shake uncontrollably. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 99,479.

- Birmingham , AL, USA

Aug 312015

G6

I was leaving work and pull out and the power steering goes out and a message pops up on the radio power staring so I drive for about a mile and I pull over at a gas station and turn my car off and sit there for two minutes and cut it back on and it was back to normal it shook hard when the power steering didn't work.

- Clarksville, TN, USA

Jun 252012

G6 6-cyl

On 6/25/12 my car was making a whining noise when steering. Dealership replaced steering gear and adjusted "front toe" and gear assembly. (according to the work order. ). on 8/27/15 I had to take my vehicle for repair due to a very loud whining sound. When I started the car that morning there was still the loud whining sound and a clunking sound. The repair was complete power steering rack & pinion. Total repair bill was $929.44. In addition I have had to have two repairs to exhaust gasket. (one 4/25/15 and another one on 8/18/15). I am attaching all repair bills, title, etc for your review.

- Lansing, MI, USA

Jul 272015

G6

Hear a ding and power steering message keeps coming on...has happened 5/6 times in last week, as yet the steering isn't affected

- Bridgeton, MO, USA

Jul 252015

G6

The contact owns a 2009 Pontiac G6. While driving 30 mph, the power steering stiffened while making a right turn into traffic. The contact stated that the vehicle experienced the failure intermittently. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was 145,591.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Jun 262013

G6

My vehicle was recalled last year due to a problem with the body control module. I brought my vehicle to a local GM dealer to be "fixed" and now my car is having the exact same problems as before: Loss of cruise control, malfunctioning brake lights, loss of traction control, difficulty shifting gear out of park position. These problems began occurring in 2013. GM should have told customers that the "fix" was temporary, as I was almost rear-ended multiple times yesterday due to my brake lights malfunctioning. This is dangerous and someone could get injured or killed due to the issues with the brake lights. After receiving my recall notice and taking my car to be serviced, I thought I would never have to worry about this again. It turns out the mechanics at the GM dealer just cleaned the BCM and applied dielectric grease to it, which is what I had been doing before the recall even came up...it is insulting that they would consider this a "fix" and endanger their drivers, when they had to know that this would only help temporarily. It seems the entire BCM needs replaced to actually fix it, which is expensive. GM should cover the cost of this, as I know I am not the only driver having repeat issues after having the car "fixed" during the recall. My car has now also lost power steering on more than one occasion (loss of power steering first occurred this year), and my headlights keep going out, even when the bulbs are brand new (this has been an ongoing issue for two years now). When I smack the headlights, they come back on. I see that other drivers are also having issues with their power steering and headlights, as well as with the BCM. I am disappointed that GM has not provided a permanent solution for these issues, and I do not always feel safe when driving this car.

- St. Charles, IL, USA

Jan 012015

G6

The contact owns a 2009 Pontiac G6. While driving 55 mph, the steering wheel seized and became difficult to control. The power steering warning light illuminated. The failure recurred intermittently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the power steering motor module needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V153000 (steering). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 120,000.

- Mehoopany, PA, USA

Apr 102015

G6

The contact owns a 2009 Pontiac G6. While making a right turn at 35 mph, the steering wheel became difficult to turn. The contact had to apply force to the steering wheel in order to steer the vehicle. The power steering was displayed across the message board. The vehicle was taken to multiple dealers who were unable to diagnose or repair the vehicle. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 78,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Winnetka, CA, USA

May 212015

G6

I was turning into a convenient store parking lot to park and where the hood is caught on fire. I had to jump out immediately and a local grabbed a fire extinguisher to put out the fire. It then had to be towed to an automotive shop where I was told the power steering pressure line had a hole burn into it, the power steering pump was out and the rack and pinion needed replacement because the power steering was stiff.

- Sterling , VA, USA

Mar 032014

G6

I purchased car new in 2009 and have had problem after problem starting with exhaust system just weeks after I got it. It has had 3 recalls but I more are due. The headlights started going one after another and at one time all front lights were out at the same time. I had them repaired with new connector. Currently, the left headlight is out again and a new headlamp and another connector was installed and still will not stay on. Other owners I have spoken with have the same problems that I am having. But what can we do? I've been experiencing power steering going out occasionally for no apparent reason what so ever. There is a recall but my car is not covered under the recall although there were 2009 models that were. I was told my VIN number wasn't included in the recall. The air bag alert stays on. I had it diagnosed along with the seat belt alert and both need to be replaced. The seat belt sensor module needs to be replaced in the passenger seat. My rear door locks don't work and that's electrical problem. I feel the car manufacturer knew these problems existed and should be held accountable for selling these death traps. With all these serious problems, I can't grasp why GM don't take responsibility for all this and get them off the rode. I and other motorists are not safe while I'm still driving this car. Do the right thing GM and recall all 2009 Pontiac G6 and make them safe.

- Lexington, KY, USA

Mar 232015

G6

The contact owns a 2009 Pontiac G6. While driving approximately 55 mph, the power steering warning indicator illuminated and the steering wheel became difficult to turn. The contact pulled over and powered the vehicle off and back on. Once the vehicle was powered back on, the power steering warning indicator was not illuminated and the steering wheel performed normally; however, the failure recurred on several occasions. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, who diagnosed that the power steering sensor needed to be adjusted. The sensor was adjusted, however, the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 112,000.

- Roswell, NM, USA

Apr 242015

G6 4-cyl

While driving, power steering warning came on and wheel was hard to turn. Turning car off and back on fixed problem temporarily. But once I start driving the power steering goes out again.

- El Paso, TX, USA

Oct 312014

G6 4-cyl

I purchased a Pontiac G6 in September 2014. Since October 2014, the car has been pulling to the left and right, and the steering wheel has not been correcting itself to the normal postion. I have taken the car to the dealer 3 times and complained about this, and I have taken the car to other multiple places and they have not came to a conclusion. I got an alignment done and that has not corrected the issue. When I am going around a right turn the car catches and I manually need to turn the wheel. Going around a left turn it does the same thing. There is no code for the power steering.

- Lehighton , PA, USA

Jun 062014

G6 6-cyl

Lights on the car starting coming on the air bag lights stay on now and will not go off.the heater in the seats also stopped working.and now when I turn the steering wheels there is a grinding sound.I thought it was the cv axles replaced, and it did no good.it continues to make the grinding sounds when I turn, and its hard to turn the steering wheel at times it locks up.the electric systems seems to act strange with lights blinking on the dash board sometimes.many times I have trouble starting the car and have had the starter checked out and they cannot find a problem, when it does this all the lights start flashing.once I was driving in the mountains at a speed around 45 miles an hour and my car completely cut off on top of the mountains.

- Roxboro, NC, USA

Apr 062015

G6

The contact owns a 2009 Pontiac G6. While driving 40 mph, the steering wheel seized. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, who diagnosed that the steering input sensor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 46,000.

- Elma, NY, USA

Apr 012015

G6

The contact owns a 2009 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that after the vehicle was started, the steering wheel seized without warning. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the torque sensor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and stated that the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V153000 (steering). The failure mileage was 90,000.

- Tulsa , OK, USA

Apr 032015

G6 4-cyl

Radio indicator display reads "power steering"; odometer reads "error"; speedometer does not function; vehicle enters low power state; vehicle manufacture date is 7/29/2008; NHTSA campaign number: 14V153000 covers similar issue but earlier manufacture dates.

- Algona, IA, USA

Mar 012015

G6

The contact owns a 2009 Pontiac G6. While driving at an unknown speed, the steering wheel seized without warning. The failure recurred a couple of times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 80,000.

- Frankfort, NY, USA