NHTSA — Exterior Lighting Problems

2007 Saturn Outlook (Page 3 of 7)

2.5

2007 Saturn Outlook lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Saturn Outlook:

2007 Saturn Outlook Owner Comments (Page 3 of 7)

Oct 082011

Outlook 6-cyl

Headlight wiring harness melted on passenger side daytime driving lamp - must replace entire harness ($40).

- Middleburg, FL, USA

Apr 212010

Outlook

The left low beam headlight had to be replaced about 3 weeks after we bought vehicle. It is now a year and a half later and the light is out again. The light they took out wasn't even bad, so it is a problem with the wiring harness and very expensive.

- Wheelersburg, OH, USA

Sep 242011

Outlook 6-cyl

Headlight went out -started to change light and it came back on. Went out again and took to the car to the dealer for repair -it was not headlight - wiring harness/wiring melted and exposed the wiring. This problem is so common in Saturn Outlooks that I was able to do an internet search and tell the dealer the service bulletin number of the problem. This problem is not from use, abuse, but from a flaw in wiring that I feel is a safety issue. A recall needs to be issued before more problems/fires occur and results in serious injury. Also -- it will be one week ago tomorrow since the dealer ordered the parts and still have not received them. My vehicle has no front headlight - I have four children and need transportation large enough for 6 so we have to drive it unsafely without a headlight.

- Du Quoin, IL, USA

Oct 082011

Outlook 6-cyl

Drivers side low beam went out. Known problem. Its all over the forums. Many cases of the same issue. Supposedly it is the wiring harness going to the headlamp. There has been cases of it melting which could cause fire. Saturn/GM doesn't care. Contacted numerous dealers and every one of them is trying to rip me off. What does it take to get a recall on this" death" GM needs to make this right.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Jul 132011

Outlook 6-cyl

Passenger side low-beam head lamp has been fixed twice. Have determined that the wiring harness is defective. I believe that a recall is in order on this recurring manufactures problem for many consumers.

- Hurricane, UT, USA

Sep 212011

Outlook 6-cyl

About a month ago, the headlights on the drivers side of my 2007 Outlook xr started experiencing intermittent operation. I tried to take it into the shop once, but by then they had come back on. A few weeks later, both of my headlights went out. This time, I had the shop look further into the problem. As it turned out, both of the headlight harnesses were completely melted and my mechanic reported that one even appeared to have caught fire. We had to pay to replace the headlight assemblies because there has not been a recall issued for our Outlook, even though I have seen online reports of this sort of problem. I was told that the new headlight assemblies are much sturdier and that this problem shouldn't reoccur, however, I feel that GM should have been the one to pay for the repair. Obviously there was an issue with the metal and/or wiring on the first headlight harnesses. I would like to see GM issue a recall on these and for us to be reimbursed for the cost we've already incurred.

- Cape Coral, FL, USA

Sep 042011

Outlook 6-cyl

My drivers side headlight went out. I purchased a new one and when I installed it, it did not work. I checked the connection more thoroughly and found the connector melted on one side. The copper connecter was black and the surrounding black plastic brittle and misshapen. You cannot replace the wire harness without removing the composite light fixture which looks like you need to remove the front bumper assembly. The average car owner would have a difficult time just replacing the low beam lamp. The high beam lamp requires disassembly. Of the composite headlamp unit. The wires are thin on the lighting harness and should be recalled. There are numerous reports of the same problem and GM needs to do something about it.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Dec 292010

Outlook 6-cyl

For 2007 Saturn Outlooks, a faulty design of the wiring harness for front headlights causes the harness to melt and the headlights to stop working. Personally, I was required to have both harnesses replaced after my headlights stopped working. The first melted harness (passenger side) was replaced at 61,603 miles on 12/19/2010 and the second at 70,188 miles on 7/26/2011. I have personally seen the melted plastic connection from my second repair. This is a known issue reported in several online forums and my second repair technician explained to me that a revised design is available for replacement harnesses and he installed the newer version. I do not know if the first harness that I paid to have replaced was replaced with the original design (which may require future replacement) or was done with the revised design - it was done at a GM dealer who charged me and arm and a leg for the repair. The manufacturer has failed to recognize or address this issue and compensate owners who have already paid out of pocket for repairs. GM should be liable for the cost of the parts, labor, mileage driven to/from repair facilities and inconvenience associated with these repairs, which has so far totaled in the hundreds of dollars.

- Easton, PA, USA

Aug 152011

Outlook

I have researched on various online forums and found that many owners of Saturn Outlooks and GMC acadias are having the same problem of wiring harnesses to the headlamps melting. This requires a replacement of the wiring harness, which must be done at the dealer since the only way to access the wiring is to remove the front tire and the wheel well.

- Springfield, IL, USA

Jul 252011

Outlook 6-cyl

My low beam headlight stopped working July 25 2011, I put a new lamp in on August 7 2011 and four days later it want out again. After checking on line and checked the wiring harness and like everybody else my connector had melted away too. So now I have to find a replacement harness ?

- Vallejo, CA, USA

Aug 162011

Outlook

Low beam headlight bulbs burn out frequently. One line connector melted once. Recurring problem.

- Fort Morgan, CO, USA

Dec 012010

Outlook 6-cyl

About 6 months ago the low beams on both sides worked intermittently, recently they have failed altogether causing us to drive at night with no other option than to use the high beams, for which we have been pulled over by authorities twice. Once I removed the interior fender to assess the problem, I notice the entire wire harness has been completely burned and melted. I am in the process of deciding to take it to the dealership or try a repair on my own to save the cost.

- Columbus, OH, USA

May 202009

Outlook 6-cyl

My headlight in my 2007 Saturn Outlook burned out. When inquired on replacement, I was informed I needed a whold new headlight harness - total cost $676 + tax for a headlight!

- Galena, OH, USA

Jun 102011

Outlook

Passenger low beam headlight went out, and wiring was found to be melted, GM has not issued a recall after multiple failures, , and now wondering if driving this vehicle is safe as it could catch fire( wires getting hot enough to melt into).

- Columbus , OH, USA

Jun 012009

Outlook

Approximately mid-year 2009, the right side low-beam head light went out on my 2007 Saturn Outlook. The bulb was replaced with an after-market bulb but to my surprise, the light went out again within 2-3 weeks. Upon taking the vehicle to the Saturn dealership, the entire right front head light area was replaced as the background wiring had completely melted. The cost was over $500. The vehicle was under warranty at the time, hence there was no cost to me. On Saturday, July 2, 2011 however, the same right side head light went out again. Upon taking the vehicle to the GM dealership on Wednesday July 6, 2011, I am now told that the coils have completely melted again and the cost this time to me is $212. This is absolutely ridiculous! this has got to be a manufacturer defect as I am concerned with what is actually getting so very hot that is melting the coils. I am more concerned that this type of heat could potentially cause a fire. Something must be done to prevent an unnecessary tragedy/accident.

- Middletown, DE, USA

Jun 232011

Outlook 6-cyl

2007 Saturn Outlook passenger side headlamp connection has melted 3 lamp housings and this time melted the vehicle wiring and caught fire.

- Milwaukee, WI, USA

Jun 172011

Outlook 6-cyl

Headlights of one side keeps flickering on and off. Sometimes they do not come on at all. Occurs everynight. We just bought the vehicle from steven Toyota on this past Saturday, 06/17/11, where they said they couldn't do anything to help us.

- Staunton, VA, USA

Jan 152011

Outlook 6-cyl

Driver side headlight went out went to change bulb and noticed the wire were starting to melt so took it to dealer and told them to fix it they said when went to pick it up it was just bulb so I told them it was bad wiring harness they said no 1 week later back at dealership with no headlight wiring harness melted all the way through into 2 pieces faulty wiring harness needs addressed by GM.

- Shelby, OH, USA

May 012011

Outlook 6-cyl

Headlight wiring harness melted due to high current draw. Rendered headlight inoperable and could have caused larger fire. This seems to be a very common occurrence on Saturn Outlooks.

- Helotes, TX, USA

Mar 152011

Outlook 6-cyl

Headlight has failed 3 times. Each time the bulb melted the harness. The first two occasions were covered under warranty. The third occasion was at 63,000 and was not covered and will cost $415 to repair.

- New Lenox, IL, USA