NHTSA — Exterior Lighting Problems

2007 Saturn Outlook (Page 4 of 7)

2.5

2007 Saturn Outlook lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Saturn Outlook:

2007 Saturn Outlook Owner Comments (Page 4 of 7)

Apr 192011

Outlook 6-cyl

2007 Saturn Outlook, headlight wiring harness. I had my wiring harness replaced on 10/1/08 for the passenger side light and my driver side replaced on 5/10/10 and now my passenger side is out again. Headlight wiring harness' should last longer than two years. I have yet to get this replaced because it is costly to have to replace this often.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Apr 182011

Outlook 6-cyl

My 2007 Outlook experienced headlight outage at approx. 32,000 miles the Saturn dealer changed the melted harness and replaced the bulb here we are less that 4 months later and I have another headlight outage and pay $300 + to an authorized dealer to change the melted wires and replace the bulb. 3 months later we are back to the headlight being out and the dealer ready to charge me another $300+ to correct the problem. I have noted multiple complaints of the same problem by multiple consumers in various states. I don't feel that I should have to keep paying for a problem that appears to be well documented by Saturn Outlook owners. I have placed a call to GM and of course no help from them all they want to do is push the responsibility and cost back to the consumer.

- Lake Charles, LA, USA

Apr 052011

Outlook

Passenger headlight went off at highway speeds. Went to replace bulb and found socket was charred and burnt. Bulb was still good, when bench tested. This was the oe bulb, not a higher current/power aftermarket bulb. Currently driving with only one headlight, while waiting for dealer to get me a new harness. Obviously, GM is aware of the problem, since tsb #09-08-42-004 instructs using nyogel grease to fill the socket, I assume for thermal conductivity or corrosion protection. Socket replacement should be done on recall, and dealers should keep harness on order, so I don't have to drive with only one headlight.

- Sandy Hook, CT, USA

Apr 152011

Outlook

Wireing harness for headlights melting.

- Tuttle, OK, USA

Feb 102011

Outlook

I have a 2007 Outlook, about a year ago, passenger side headlight went out...took to shop to replace, worked fine for about another 8 months. Now passenger side headlight out again, been replaced by shop 3 times... light works at dealership but is out again by time we get home. Now drivers side light is out also. This issue needs to be addressed because not everybody can afford 4-6 hundred dollars to have headlights changed every week. Nor should they have to.

- Albuquerque, NM, USA

Jun 012008

Outlook 6-cyl

Headlight goes out. This has happened on both lights a total of four times. June 2008, September 2008, June, 2010, March 2011. Was told by dealer it is the wiring harness.

- Palm City, FL, USA

Mar 142011

Outlook 6-cyl

The drivers side daytime running lamp has gone out. I have tried to change the bulb only to find that it is extremely difficult to access. After reading numerous complaints regarding the headlights I am not alone in my problem. I have not taken my vehicle in for service, but it sounds like the wire harness is a major safety hazard.

- Berkley, MI, USA

Mar 222011

Outlook 6-cyl

Passenger side headlamp inoperable. Wiring harness connector to headlamp burnt/melted. GM has a tsb #09-08-42-004 on the issue which should be upgraded to a recall. This condition could cause a fire and is safety related since it affects the headlamp system.

- Grass Valley, CA, USA

Mar 222011

Outlook 6-cyl

I have a 2007 Saturn Outlook xr, which has had the headlight wiring harness replaced on the passenger side in 2009. Now in March of 2011 I took the car in for an oil change and on my way there just happen to notice the headlight was out. The Chevy dealership said it was the same thing as the other side, the wiring was completely melted and the whole thing would have to be replaced. I was lucky enough to have most of it covered by my extended warranty, but I was still out my deductible and I had to pay for the lightbulb. When I had the first headlamp replaced the technician informed me it was very dangerous and could have started a fire. This seems like something GM should be aware of and shold look into, before someone gets hurt. I was actually under the impression that the first dealership, which was a Saturn, replaced both of my headlamps, but Chevy is informing me that is not the case. So I am not sure who is telling the truth.

- Davenport, IA, USA

Feb 212011

Outlook

I have a 2007 Saturn Outlook the front passenger light went out twice within 2 months I took it to the dealer and was told that the wiring harness was melted and had to be replaced.

- Yonkers, NY, USA

Feb 012011

Outlook 6-cyl

I have a 2007 Saturn Outlook and both of my headlights and all of the related wiring have been replaced because the wires melted. In all my years, I've never had to replace headlight wiring. This does not seem to be a standard maintenance item. So I assume this is the result of poor manufacturing or design. I've had my car serviced at an authorized GM dealership and I've spent approximately $600 on this issue.

- Baton Rouge, LA, USA

Jan 012011

Outlook 6-cyl

Driver side low beam headlight started shutting off intermittently and later constant off. Determined not to be a bulb failure but heat damage to the wiring harness at the bulb connector. Talked to GM dealer service department and told the wiring harness will need to be replaced for both headlights due to this damage. Also told that they are seeing this on a number of Outlooks. This problem renders low beam headlights inoperable.

- Nampa, ID, USA

Mar 122011

Outlook

I have had to replace the driver's side headlamp on my 2007 Saturn Outlook 7 times, and the entire assembly once, I was told there was a wiring problem, causing a "short". this is obviously a safety issue, as the headlamps should not fail at this rate.

- Lexington, SC, USA

Mar 032011

Outlook 6-cyl

Passenger side headlight intermittently turns on and off at will. Duration > a year; not driven alot at night. Concerned about melted wiring also. Prior to this, steering locked up when going through puddles. Made an extremely loud screeching noise. Dealer serviced problem in warranty but did not completely correct it.

- Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Feb 252011

Outlook 6-cyl

2007 Saturn Outlook : replaced passenger-side headlight bulb a month ago. Bulb is now out again. Read so many complaints regarding the problem. Believes recall is in order....

- Laurel, MD, USA

Nov 152010

Outlook

My wife have a 2007 Saturn Outlook and the drivers low beam headlight went out. I accessed the lamp assembly and found the harness had melted. It is crazy the way it is constructed and so hard to have access, my wife is scare this thing can initiate a fire in the car with very dangerous consecuences....please recall this SUVS to fix it.....thanks.

- Houston, TX, USA

Feb 102011

Outlook

I have a 2007 Saturn Outlook that a very much like. One problem that I have encountered however is the low beam driverside headlight. I started having problems about six months ago and I ended up changing the bulb about four months ago. The new one became intermittent like the previous, this time however I found the connector for the bulb to be all melted away along with the "new bulb I installed. I see from this an other forums that I am not alone with this issue. Do you know if with the risk of fire if GM is taking any action to recall what appears to be a common and dangerous issue?

- Montreal, 00, USA

Jan 012009

Outlook 6-cyl

Passenger headlight problems, multiple trips to dealership to fix, still not working, appears wiring harness is melted. Other Saturn Outlook owners have had this problem.

- Valparaiso, IN, USA

Jan 202011

Outlook 6-cyl

Left headlamp works intermittently. Can never depend on it working or not. Both headlamps when they are both working are very dim on low beam but seem to get brighter after about an hour of being on.

- Lindstrom, MN, USA

Jan 082011

Outlook 6-cyl

My 2007 Saturn Outlook xe headlights started going out but then on and then went completely out simultaneously with in a few weeks. When I researched on the internet on how to change the lamp, I found that the wiring harness for the headlights on all model years of Saturn Outlook, GMC acadia, Buick enclave, and Chevrolet traverse have a similar problem of the headlight wiring harness melting and failing. There is a technical service bulletin concerning the defect ( Saturn tsb #09-08-42-004) stating that the harness should be replaced (with the same harness, so the problem continues) and nyogel gel should be used at the electrical connection point. The melting wiring harness is a fire hazard.

- Hollywood, FL, USA