2007 Saturn Outlook steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Saturn Outlook:

2007 Saturn Outlook Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Jan 262012

I had just turned a corner and it felt like my vehicle lost power. I pushed on the gas pedal and it accelerated as normal. But then I realized my steering wheel wouldn't turn. With traffic coming at me I barely made it to another street and could just turn it enough to get to the side of the street. I was puttin my whole body weight into it. It was not raining and conditions were normal outside. $300 later my steering system was fixed. Thank goodness traffic wasn't heavier that day.

- Bismarck, ND, USA

Feb 182010

Outlook 6-cyl

We bought the car Jan 8 of 2010 and was still under full warranty- after the first month I brought into Saturn and told them of all issues. They said they got it all fixed in June of 2010 brought it in again for basically same issues and they said they fixed everything again and were also closing down that day so were hurrying me out the door. After that had same issues (especially steering wheel and engine problems, oil leaks, along with electrical problems) and we were directed to go Chevy since Saturn was gone. Expressed to them same issues with steering wheel etc. They also fixed a recall on the electrical system. And fixed power steering pump that was broke two months later had same issues with steering and engine and airbag sensor and brought it again and they also fixed another recall, in the headlamp. (we have all documents) now the whole transmission is out and oil leaks again so since it still under power train they are fixing them but GM will not approve them to fix the steering column that needs to be replace nor the airbag sensor issue. We have called them everyday and sent them over all our paperwork the last two years showing that the steering column and airbag sensor have been an issue since before our full warranty was up. I just want my car to be safe and feel like I am in a death trap and still owe a lot of money on it. It is a total lemon and I am stuck with it these issues were from the start when the car was still under full warranty.

- Westminster, CO, USA

May 122011

The contact owns a 2007 Saturn Outlook. While driving approximately 20 mph, the contact heard a humming sound coming from the steering wheel. The contact stated that the sound could be heard at any speed. The vehicle was taken to a dealer for diagnostics. The technicians stated the power steering pump needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 35,000.

- Temple Hills, MD, USA

May 022011

2007 Saturn Outlook. Consumer states problem with steering the consumer stated while driving in the rain, he struck a small puddle of water in the middle of a main road. As he was making a turn, the steering wheel jolted out of his hands and the vehicle began to make a loud noise. The consumer drove into a ditch as he was unable to gain control of the vehicle until the last second; having to use all of his strength to keep from plowing fully into the ditch and rear embankment. After the incident, the consumer heard a whining noise coming from the steering column, which would cost $1000 to replace. The consumer stated the problem has not been resolved. Updated 09/15/11.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

May 032011

Outlook 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Saturn Outlook. The contact stated while driving 10 mph and making a left turn, he drove through a puddle of water and immediately the power steering failed. The contact stated the steering wheel became very hard to turn and control. The dealer was contacted but offered no assistance. The failure mileage was 63,750. Updated 05/25/11 updated 08/04/11

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Apr 222011

Driver was driving in the rain going approximately 35mph. As driver slowed down to make a right turn, the steering completely locked up and the car would not turn. Driver was able to drive into the grass without causing an accident. After sitting there a few minutes, driver was able to get car back on road and drive approximately 1 mile to a nearby relative's house. Had driver been going faster, it is alarming to think what could have happened.

- Mount Pleasant, SC, USA

Jul 202009

While attempting to make a turn, the steering wheel locked up for a few seconds. I had no control over the vehicle. This has happened several times and it has always been in wet, rainy weather. It appears that water is splashing on the belts which causes a temporary loss of steering. While researching the problem, I've come across several other owners who have had the same issue. GM has not offered a solution, since my dealership cannot 'replicate the problem' while the car is in service. If nothing is done about this design flaw, the result would be a serious crash and death.

- Marietta, GA, USA

Oct 132010

After less than a year old, the driver side headlight assembly on my 2007 Outlook needed to be replaced. The dealership did the necessary repairs under warranty. In July 2010, I had a headlight out on the passenger side. I brought my car back to the dealership accepting Saturn since Saturn had now closed. I was told that the "headlight harness" had melted. I paid a hefty fee to had that repaired. In October 2010, the same thing happened to the driver's side headlight harness. The dealership offered no suggestion on to how to keep this from re-occurring. Furthermore, I have had to have air "bled" from the "closed" power steering line 3 times. Also, the stabilitrac system will occasionally "turn itself off" causing the car to lose power on turns.

- Denham Springs, LA, USA

Sep 242010

I have experienced only issues all year with my 2007 Saturn Outlook. It has 55,000 miles and in June 2010 the wiring short circuited behind the steering wheel causing the theft security lock system to go into effect assuming the car was being hot-wired. It cost me over $300 to fix at the dealer and had to be towed. Then the dealer said my inside fuse box was completely corroded from water and they would need to fix the leak my sunroof was causing. The dealer has made 6 attempts to fix and I just picked up my car this morning, hopefully after the final attempt. Now my breaks are causing issues, the break pedal softens and goes down to almost the floor when pressed every 4th or 5th time and it is drinking brake fluid, I need to take it this weekend to check for a leak. Not to mention my power steering is making loud whining sounds every time that I move the steering wheel. Oh, and my passenger side low beam headlight has gone out a few times and my husband has had to access the back of it to replace it but it continues to go out. Oh, and my transmission caused problems two weeks ago and the dealer fixed it under my powertrain warranty.. 55,000 miles and this car is giving me issues as if I'm over 200,000 miles!

- Miramar, FL, USA

Aug 182010

1. was driving on I95 in Maryland. Speed about 65 mph. 2. loss of power steering (steering wheel locks up and you are unable to direct steering). Before August 18, 2010 the failure happened two other times but were at lower speeds. The last incident which happened on August 18, 2010 was on a highway and I almost side swiped a tractor trailer because I had no control over my vehicle for about a minute. I was lucky to avoid a serious accident to myself and others. 3. I put in a call to Saturn customer service. They made an appointment for me ad dudley martin Chevrolet in manassas, va to check the car out. After car was inspected I was told that when ever it rains, water gets onto steering belts which causes the loss of power steering. They advised having fender guards installed which is over $300 which I do not have. I asked Saturn/GM to add guards at my their cost since it was a safety issue. Saturn/GM told me that they agree it is a safety issue but they are not willing to pay to fix the car. I have seen other reports online of this problem and feel that there should be a recall before someone gets really hurt. I know it was a very scary situation for me.

- Manassas, VA, USA

Sep 012010

Power steering pump failure with only 60,000 miles on 2007 Saturn Outlook AWD. Loud noises when turning steering wheel and sometimes the wheel is almost unable to turn at all. Very unsafe and I do not trust enough to have my wife drive with our child in it. Read many complaints about this same thing and now I am forced to repair out of pocket.

- Howell, MI, USA

Jun 302010

Power steering locks up when water splashes onto fan belt on 2007 Saturn Outlook. Happens on wet roads. On incident date, vehicle would not maintain lane during right hand turn onto two lane road from a full stop. Vehicle ended up in on-coming traffic lane before steering returned. This after the new designed inner fender skirts were installed as the permanent "fix". new parts installed by dealer now servicing Saturn in augusta Georgia. Master mechanic said that this "fix" has only worked on 50% of his repairs. He checked out the repairs, stated they were installed correctly and that there is nothing else suggested at this time. This is a safety issue that GM must fully resolve. This is the fourth time this has happened, and the first since installation of new inner fender skirts installed in January 2010. Up until then there was no repair available. Now this repair does not fix the problem.

- Augusta, GA, USA

Apr 202010

While pulling into a parking lot, I lost steering. I took it to the dealership and they stated they could not find anything wrong with the power steering pump. They asked if I drove through a puddle. It was raining during the incident. The dealership stated water probably got on the belts and caused the problem. They stated inner fender guards could help solve the problem. My incident only occurred at about 5 -10 mph, but it gets me a little nervous if this occurred on a highway around 55 - 60 mph. It seems like there is more to the problem then just water getting on the power steering belts.

- Antelope, CA, USA

Apr 012010

The contact owns a 2007 Saturn Outlook. The contact stated that while driving approximately 50 mph, the power steering failed. The steering wheel became difficult to control. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for a diagnostic test. The dealer stated that they could not diagnose and test the vehicle on April 1, 2010. The failure mileage was 62,000. The approximate current mileage was 62,000.

- Woodbridge, VA, USA

Mar 162010

During a drive from atlanta, ga to augusta ga my 2007 Saturn Outlook my steering would occasionally respond with a slight jerk. At the end of the trip during a right turn into our office parking lot the power steering failed momentarily but I finished that turn and then a left turn. As I started a right turn into a parking space the power steering failed completely. I used all my strength to get the vehicle into the parking spot. I stopped the engine and checked the power steering which appeared to be overful. I restarted and attempted additional steering maneuvers which were all difficult. I had the vehicle transported to the repair shop where they diagnosed a disintegration of some internal component of the power steering pump. They flushed the system and replaced the pump. I believe this failure under other circumstances could lead to a serious crash.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Dec 062009

The contact owns a 2007 Saturn Outlook. The contact was driving approximately 15 mph in extremely heavy rain conditions. Suddenly, the entire instrument panel lighting became dim and there was a loss of powering steering for a period of thirty seconds. The failure occurred four times in rainy weather conditions. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer for inspection. The technician stated that the failure was contributed to the front fender liner. The vehicle was repaired for the malfunction. The identical failures continued to occur after the service repair was performed. The failure mileage was 27,689.

- Oviedo, FL, USA

Mar 032010

2 complaints about the Saturn Outlook: 1) braking & brake fluid problems. Dealer has replaced brake fluid saying that the factory brake fluid was not correct. Braking is still difficult and brake pedal needs to be pressed more than once for proper braking pressure to kick-in. 2) since new, the Outlook has a popping or cracking sound whenever the steering wheel is turned from right or left, at least 2-3 times in each direction from center. Brought matter to the dealers attention and said other reports had been made, but no solution.

- Summerville, SC, USA

Jan 102008

The failure was the power steering pump on a 2007 Saturn Outlook, 3.6L engine. The first sign of failure occurred while taking a curve at 45 mph. The steering froze then freedup and froze again several times in just a few seconds causing me to nearly loose control of the vehicle. The vehicle went from the ditch to over the centerline before I was able to pull over. After this incident the steering made continuous noise and failed to work properly. It was impossible to steer at low speeds without revving the engine. Because of the danger of driving the vehicle I had to pay over $500 for the repair. I have heard of many many more power steering pump failures on the 3.6L engine. Please look into this before someone gets hurt or killed. Even after the repair the steering does not seem right. I am keeping my receipts because I feel this will end up a recall issue due to safety concerns. This vehicle had 41,000 miles on it (90% highway). The pump was returned for a $50 core charge.

- Knife River, MN, USA

Oct 182009

While at idle, the steering pump started "whining". the noise stopped after getting up to speed. Several times, while attempting to make a right hand turn, the steering column seized, causing the vehicle to skid at approximately 25 mph. This is a serious safety issue. It seemed to only occur during rain.

- Crofton, MD, USA

Sep 102009

My Outlook is at approximately 40,000miles. At about 30,000 there started to be a very noticeable whine in the steering column, especially upon turning. Several times I noticed the steering kind of turning rough with a sharp turn, as in backing out of a parking space. Two weeks ago after going through standing water in the roadway, I began to turn left onto a side street and the steering wheel locked up-not a loss of power steering, there was no way to turn the wheel. I took the car to the service shop that afternoon. Upon describing my issue to the service rep, he stated that he had only ever had one vehicle in with that complaint and that what had occurred was that they drove through water, splashing it onto the power steering belt (which was worn) causing it to slip. After dropping the car off I did some research on my own and found multiple unresolved complaints exactly like mine posted online. When I picked the car up, they charged me $45 and said that I had somehow gotten air in my power steering fluid. My car has done this twice since then. Once very briefly while leaving a parking spot and again last night in the middle of a downpour. I bought this vehicle because I have 4 kids and I liked the safety features of the airbag system-but this scares me to death!! I am to the point of being afraid to drive in the rain. I want to take it back for more service, but based on what I'm reading, no one is getting any resolution.

- Byron, GA, USA