NHTSA — Electrical System Problems

2008 Saturn Outlook (Page 3 of 7)

2008 Saturn Outlook electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Saturn Outlook:

2008 Saturn Outlook Owner Comments (Page 3 of 7)

Apr 132013

Outlook 6-cyl

Last night when I went to drive my vehicle I noticed the left front low beam headlight was not working. Took vehicle in to have the light bulb changed and the technician said the bulb socket/wiring was burnt and the bulb was damaged. They said I would need a new bulb and low beam headlight wiring harness. This is the third time this part has failed since the vehicle was new. The dealership replaced both the right and left side harnesses when the vehicle was under warranty and the left side harness and bulb was replaced last year approx. 10,000 miles ago and now it is burnt up again. I feel this part is defective and could cause a fire. GM should do something to upgrade the wiring harness so this problem does not continue.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Apr 022012

Outlook

When a passenger is seating in the front seat, the air bag light indicator will say off instead of on.

- Evarts, KY, USA

Dec 102012

Outlook

2008 Saturn Outlook, water leak through seal on dash. Shorted out fuse panel allowing the car to run with key turned off and losing function of passenger air bag control. Multiple complaints of this defect in the manufacturing of vehicle. Consumer cost $1300.

- Dayton, TN, USA

Nov 162012

Outlook 6-cyl

My driver side headlight (low beam) was working intermittently. Finally it stopped working. I bought a new bulb and was replacing it this weekend. While removing the old bulb, I saw that one wire had pulled out of the socket. I looked closer at the socket and realized that it was melted. There were also burn marks on the bulb plug and a green plastic piece. To my knowledge, this is an oem part. The part says phillips H11 ll and made in germany. It also says 55 w, 12 V. this would imply almost 5 a of current, which seems alot for the very small wiring size. While trying to find a replacement socket, I found out that this seems to be a very common problem on these vehicles.

- Riegelsville, PA, USA

Apr 222011

Outlook 6-cyl

The low beam headlight went out on the vehicle. I went to autozone to purchase the headlight replacement when I was told that it could possibly be two different headlights that I would need to bring the broken one so they can sell me a replacement. I found out that it is not very easy to replace the headlight on this vehicle as several other parts have to be removed in order to get to the headlight connector. I found instructions and several complaints from owners indicating they have replaced the headlight several times during the year only to be told by dealers that the harness/connector are burned and that is the cause of the problem. I proceeded to remove the underliner of the tire to get to the headlight on my vehicle. As suspected, the connector and wire harness were burned. I found several service bulletins instructing dealers to "check and replace" the harness and headlight on these vehicles. When I called Saturn I was informed that the dealership had replaced the headlight in my vehicle on April 2011...however they never informed me of this change. Right now my wife is driving this vehicle without a headlight as Saturn is refusing to replace the burned harness that I found on the car. This is not only a safety issue, but a fire hazard on the vehicle. This should be a mandatory recall by now....it is not just happening on Saturn Outlooks, it is also happening on GMC acadias which is exactly the same car.....

- Naples, FL, USA

Oct 052012

Outlook 6-cyl

Water leak from sunroof traveled down the driver's pillar and through the dash, onto the floor. This caused an electrical shortage which caused the emergency brake warning bell to sound. Water was also leaking out of the curtain airbag badge on the pillar potentially compromising the airbag. Water soaked the driver's carpet and mats. Now the dashboard indicator light for RPM is operating sporadically.

- Torrington, CT, USA

Oct 262010

Outlook 6-cyl

Passenger low-beam headlight went out on the 2008 Saturn Outlook at 48,000 miles. I replaced it and the bulb blew out again only two weeks later. I then discovered the wiring harness had melted. Replacement bulbs continue to blow because of the defective wiring harness.

- Martinton, IL, USA

Aug 012012

Outlook

The passenger side running light went out. I had the bulb replaced. About a month later the same light went out again. I had the light taken out and was told the wiring harness was melted and had caused the bulb to go out. So I now have to replace the wiring harness for that side. I have also been told by other Saturn Outlook owners that is a common problem with most of them.

- Spanish Fork, UT, USA

Jul 282012

Outlook 6-cyl

The drivers side headlamp assembly overheated and melted causing the light to fail. This is the second time this happened with this automobile. The last incident was the passenger side headlamp assembly same exact thing happened overheated and melted causing light to fail.

- Staten Island, NY, USA

Nov 082008

Outlook 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Saturn Outlook. The contact stated that while driving at any speed the vehicle would lose power and downshift with an abnormal increase in rpms. The failure was experienced numerous times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer several times. The dealer updated the transmission module but the failure was not corrected. The vehicle continued to lose power with a significant loss of fuel mileage. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 46,000 and the failure mileage was 50,000...updated 07/12/12 the consumer stated the sensor camshaft, cylinder head, battery, windshield wiper motor, air bag wiring harness, power steering rack and gear, front pads and rotors, gaskets for intake manifold, gasket for rear valve cover, right front strut, both strut mounts, engine mounts, left front stabilizer link, headlight harness, timing belt cover seal, exhaust stud, power steering pump, hose and clamp, all had to be replaced. Updated 10/02/12

- Danbury , CT, USA

Dec 012009

Outlook 6-cyl

Purchased on 9/17/2008 and noticed a wet smell and brought it in 12/1/09 we also informed them of an electrical problem dvd/rear hatch - they found no problem with any of the issues. On 2/10/10 car in due to a wet smell rear hatch/dvd electrical issues. Found no issue with hatchback but the waterleak report "exterior - poor fits, water tested- removed headliner found excessive water leaking around glass-water running down headboard to rear - necessary sunroof window replacement. 4/14/2010 back with the dome light not working and smelled wet- dome light "inop verified due to water intrusion from sunroof leak"asked them to check the rear seat tracks -lots of rust- "surface rust on seat tracks- per tac normal condition - did spray down with silicone lubricant". in 6/8/2010 because of wet smell service states, "verified water in vehicle above headliner, removed headliner for water test - removed sunroof module and installed urethane sealer in drain holes and removed cross hatch area in drain tubes - watertested good" and under repair 1 "07-08-57-002E water dripping from 'a' pillars or ropcode:C9818 and repair 2, "07-08-57-002E water dripping from 'a' pillars or ropcode: C9820. Back on 8/24/2010 because a molding would not stay attached and front seatbelt adjusters was cut. In 12/23/11this time to rosner Chevrolet - electrical issues with warning lights-"open recall 10085 and they rerouted wireharness/replace-open recall- replaced connecter and re-routed harness as per recall". noise coming from the tires and"both front hub/bearing assemblies to be bad and replaced both left and right". the car has continued to stink like "wet dog" even though we are not seeing any dripping water. Today used a moisture meter - high levels of moisture throughout the entire car - all 4 door frames, the flooring, the hatch, pulled back floor mats to find white powdery mildew.

- Rockledge, FL, USA

Mar 022012

Outlook 6-cyl

My 2008 Saturn Outlook (w/sunroof) engine continues to run with key off position (see GM bulletin #08-08-57-003C [seam seal] dated July 15, 2011) water leak at A-pillar caused various electrical problems such as engine continues to run with key off/possible no crank/no start/communication loss/various electrical concerns, which was the result of a water leak on the ip bec from the sunroof drain hose that exits through the vehicle at the plenum and re-enter through the "unsealed seam at the front of the dash". this can effect 2007-2010 Outlook; 2007-2012 GMC acadia; 2008-2012 Buick enclave. GM only covers this to 3 yrs/36K mile warranty then GM requires owner to pay $400 to repair their engineering defect...

- North Royalton, OH, USA

Jan 112012

Outlook 6-cyl

My 2008 Outlook has been in the shop now three times for leaks. They can never find the leaks. Now I have the inner lining of the ceiling leaking with water from the rain and all my leather seats are wet, the inside of the windshield was wet along with all my lights dripping with water. I have read on so many forums how the electrical problems all started with these leaks and we should have a recall before anyone gets killed from the car dying on the highway while driving.

- Newport, NC, USA

Nov 162011

Outlook 6-cyl

Driver side headlight wire harness arcs and causes light to fail. Replacing lightbulb temporarily fixes issue. Light fails and causes loss of light while driving at night. Also, potential fire hazard.

- Canton, MI, USA

Dec 102011

Outlook 6-cyl

Headlight-dis-failed and wireharness melted.

- Nashville, TN, USA

Dec 062011

Outlook 6-cyl

Passenger side low beam headlight harness (female socket) melted.

- West Chester, OH, USA

Dec 032011

Outlook 6-cyl

Passenger headlight fails intermittently. Appears to be due not to the bulb, but due to sub-grade wiring harness that melts over time.

- Tampa, FL, USA

Oct 012011

Outlook

The passenger headlight burned out and was replaced. Two weeks later the same light burned out. This time all the wiring was pulled out and it was discovered that the wiring harness was melted. Looking on online it has been shown to be a big problem. As I am driving my 3 children around, I would like my headlights to work and not be melting in my car. Please have GMC fix this problem. A car that cost as much as mine should have working lights and non-melting parts.

- Moore, SC, USA

Nov 012011

Outlook 6-cyl

Headlamp failed, wiring melted. Next time the car may go up in flames. Dangerous!!!!!

- Reno, NV, USA

Nov 262009

Outlook

The headlamp on my 2008 Saturn Outlook has gone out multiple times over the last two years that I have owned the vehicle. I have had to have the wiring harness replaced more than 3 times. The first time the new harness lasted a couple of months. The last two times, it only lasted about a week before burning up again. The harness that holds the lamp gets too hot and melts which is an electrical safety issue.

- Centennial, CO, USA