NHTSA — Electrical System Problems

2008 Saturn Outlook (Page 5 of 7)

2008 Saturn Outlook electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Saturn Outlook:

2008 Saturn Outlook Owner Comments (Page 5 of 7)

Jun 022011

Outlook 6-cyl

Electrical failure- the headlights operate intermittently and produces a safety issue. I was ticketed in March for no headlights then 3 days later it started working. Now 2 days ago it went out again. Prior to this, I informed the dealer that our radio and driver side passenger window operated intermittently as well but they could not troubleshoot the problem at the time, as if worked well. It appears to be a consistent problem with GM cars and we need an intervention.

- Albany, CA, USA

May 082011

Outlook 6-cyl

The failure that occurred in my 2008 Saturn Outlook was a faulty driver's side wiring harness for the headlight, which resulted in the lowbeam headlight being inoperable. This occurred on May 8th, 2011 and was continuous. I had the wiring harness replaced at my cost due to the safety issue of only driving with one working headlight at night as well as the fact it's against the law in the state of Ohio. Additionally, I was traveling to Canada and did not want to risk the possibility of a crash or collision with an animal due to the faulty light. I paid out of pocket over $270 for the necessary repairs including parts and labor (the old part is not available). GM published a bulletin regarding this issue: (#09-08-42-004: Low beam headlamp bulb inoperative - replace harness and fill connector cavity for low beam bulb connector with nyogel grease May 29, 2009) this is most definitely a safety issue and should be recalled immediately. Thank you for your time and consideration with this matter.

- Avon Lake, OH, USA

Apr 292011

Outlook

Melting / electrical fire in headlight wiring harness and pre-mature headlight bulb failure.

- London, 00, USA

Apr 252011

Outlook

Low beam headlight wiring harness and bulb connection melted causing loss of headlights.

- Greenwood, IN, USA

Mar 272011

Outlook

The low beam connection melted.

- Livonia, MI, USA

Apr 092011

Outlook 6-cyl

I have a 2008 Saturn Outlook. When going to replace the headlamp bulb all of the wires have melted. Now I will have to pay for a new one due to the fact my warranty had just expired. Thankfully the car did not burn up due to the fact on was on a twelve hour drive with my family.

- Anderson, IN, USA

Aug 012010

Outlook 6-cyl

Our 2008 Saturn Outlook's headlights continuously keep going out. And it is very costly to repair, especially since Saturn went out of business. Also, we have a portable dvd player that we use in the car for our kids and when we plug it into the outlet near the radio an burning odor comes from it.

- North Las Vegas, NV, USA

Feb 152011

Outlook

Driver side low beam head light wiring harness melted. Insulating sleeve on wiring at wiring harness was melted.

- Spokane Valley, WA, USA

Jan 112011

Headlight wiring defect.

- Zachary, LA, USA

Feb 142011

Outlook 6-cyl

I have a 2008 Saturn Outlook xr. There are now over 150 complaints filed with the NHTSA regarding electrical problems and failure of the low beam lights on both sides. My passenger side failed and when repairs were started the GM repair shop noted the wiring harness where the bulb is inserted was burned (melted and blackened) as is the case in all the complaints I reviewed. GM issued a tsb in May 2009 addressing this problem (tsb# 09-08-42-004) which included filling the connector cavity with nyogel grease after removing and replacing the harness. My vehicle is out of warranty with just over 41,000 miles. The GM shop acknowledged that they have seen other vehicles in this model line with the same failure. However they had no directions to cover the repairs since the vehicle was out of warranty. It was recommended that I call GM customer assistance. That call resulted in an apparent lack of knowledge of this problem in spite of the numerous NHTSA complaints and internet discussions regarding this problem. This is an obvious safety issue should a failure occur while driving at night. I can also expect that the drivers side will also fail which will result in an additional repair cost beyond just replacing a burned out bulb.

- Aiken, SC, USA

Jan 312011

Outlook 6-cyl

Failure is headlights go out while driving vehicle. There is no indication of the headlights going out they just go out completely. Both low-beam headlights on my 2008 Saturn Outlook went completely out while driving on the highway. Luckily no accidents we're caused by this issue. I researched various websites only to find GM has a tsb on this issue tsb# 09-08-42-004. I contacted GM today to advise I would like to have this issue repaired they informed me this is only covered under warranty. This seems to be a very serious issue to only be covered under warranty and not under a safety recall.

- Montgomery, IL, USA

Jan 212011

Outlook 6-cyl

Upon noticing a headlight out on my wife's 2008 Saturn Outlook, it was noted upon disassembly of the headlight that there was significant melting damage to the electrical wiring harness to the passenger side hid headlight fixture. The wiring harness was charred and blackened in the area of the headlight connector assembly. It appears there was significant heat/arcing during the failure event. The damaged wiring harness caused the passenger side headlight to become non functional. The vehicle has approximately 50000 miles on it. This is the first such failure for this vehicle, however, upon reading various online postings about this matter, it appears to be a very common failure mode in these model vehicles. The headlight wiring harness assembly has been replaced, along with the headlight assembly due to heat damage to the headlight lamp wiring connector. Old parts are not available due to being thrown away.

- Odell, IL, USA

Jan 082011

Outlook 6-cyl

Overheating of low beam headlamp wiring causing melting of plastic components. Headlamps will loose electrical connection and all lamp light will be lost.

- Eldersburg, MD, USA

Nov 102010

Outlook 6-cyl

Passenger side headlight became inoperative, wire harness replaced due to repair description of "melting". no incident for approx 9 months. Driver side headlight becomes inoperative intermittently during driving. Hand adjustment of wire harness temporarily allows headlight to function. Passenger side headlight begins to fail in same intermittent way as driver side headlight. Loss of headlight while driving, driving becomes hazardous.

- Birmingham, MI, USA

Jul 202010

Outlook 6-cyl

2008 Saturn Outlook wiring harness on headlight overheated and headlight no longer works. Already had at service center twice. Paid for replacement headlight which went out a day or two later; then paid for a diagnosis. Already pulled over twice by law enforcement for having headlight out.

- Thompson, ND, USA

Nov 132010

Outlook 6-cyl

Passenger side headlight out on the 2008 Saturn Outlook. Went out one day, a few days later started working again. Now is out for good on "low beam" will work for "high beams".

- Fremont , MI, USA

Dec 212010

Outlook 6-cyl

Our 2008 Saturn just had to have the driver's side low lamp headlight fixed. Melted harness piece. We had to pay for this one because we are out of warranty time (60K miles). The passenger side lamp went out while under warranty. It's ridiculous that we just spent $279 to have a light repaired that seems to be a recurring problem with Saturn... before that we had the whole passenger side airbag light problem. The car doesn't sense when someone is sitting in the front passenger seat. Dealership said car is out of warranty and it will cost us because it's probably a faulty sensor. This is our second Outlook. Lemon-lawed the 2007 and thought we'd give them another chance. Not smart on our part in retrospect!

- Round Rock, TX, USA

Outlook

Driver's side headlight went out. Replaced bulb. Approximately 3 months later, same headlight went out again. Replaced bulb. Same headlight went out again in July 2010. Replaced a 3rd time. Bulb went out again in Nov 2010. Informed wiring had melted and harness/connector needs to be replaced. Yesterday 12/21/2010 passenger side headlight went out and same problem.