NHTSA — Exterior Lighting Problems

2008 Saturn Outlook (Page 5 of 12)

2008 Saturn Outlook lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Saturn Outlook:

2008 Saturn Outlook Owner Comments (Page 5 of 12)

Jun 292011

Outlook 6-cyl

Headlights go out due to a faulty wire harness. Has happened many times and I fix it just to have them go out again. This is a clear safety issue and many people have had the same problem. Time to step up and fix this obvious safety problem.

- Fresno, CA, USA

Jun 172011

Outlook 6-cyl

On my 2008 Saturn Outlook the passenger side headlight went out then after being replaced went out again about a month later come to find out the wiring burned out and had to be replaced. A few months later I was driving and pulled over for the driver side headlight being out. I had the light replaced only for it to go out a few months later and also at this time told the wiring melted and I had to get the whole thing replaced. This is a safety issue I drive with kids in my car and if this ever happened to both lights at night I don't want to think of what could have happened.

- West Greenwich, RI, USA

Jun 022011

Outlook 6-cyl

I purchased a 2008 Saturn Outlook in February of 2011. My passenger headlamp (low beam) electrical harness connector to the bulb melted and caused a sparks to come out to the headlamp protector..also damaging it..

- El Paso, TX, USA

May 292011

Outlook 6-cyl

I own a 2008 Saturn Outlook and the passenger side headlight has gone out. The vehicle has 47,000 miles on it and the wiring harness is most likely burned out and melted as many other 08' Saturn Outlook's have been known to do. This is a significant safety issue because there have been many documented cases where faulty electrical wiring have been know to cause vehicle fires. This issue should not have to create fire, property damage or injury in order to initiate a recall given the history of known problems with faulty electrical wiring.

- Hilliard, OH, USA

Jun 172011

Outlook 6-cyl

Passenger low beam headlight went out, and wiring was found to be melted, repaired and now 4 months later the passenger low beam headlight is now again out. GM has not issued a recall after multiple failures, , and now wondering if driving this vehicle is safe as it could catch fire( wires getting hot enough to mel in to) ='s not safe, , thanks

- 61520, IL, USA

May 012011

Outlook

2008 Saturn Outlook - headlight wiring harness melted.

- Tonawanda, NY, USA

Nov 012010

Outlook

The driver-side headlight used to work intermittently. After a while, the primary driver's side headlight no longer works, although the high-beams still do. No parts have been replaced, but I have read of identical issues with other Outlook owners and the faulty wiring harness for the headlamps.

- Albuquerque, NM, USA

May 152011

Outlook

2008 Saturn Outlook. Low beam light went out. Went to have bulb replaced, found out it was faulty wiring, bulb is fine. One day the light is on, the next day, the light doesn't work.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Apr 152011

Outlook

Driver side low beam bulb stopped working...and would not work after multiple on-off cycles and restarts. When I went to change the bulb I noticed the harness was melted at the bulb connector. I was able to clean out the melted plastic and bulb worked, but have to replace harness due to melted and exposed wires.

- Madison, MS, USA

May 082011

Outlook 6-cyl

The failure that occurred in my 2008 Saturn Outlook was a faulty driver's side wiring harness for the headlight, which resulted in the lowbeam headlight being inoperable. This occurred on May 8th, 2011 and was continuous. I had the wiring harness replaced at my cost due to the safety issue of only driving with one working headlight at night as well as the fact it's against the law in the state of Ohio. Additionally, I was traveling to Canada and did not want to risk the possibility of a crash or collision with an animal due to the faulty light. I paid out of pocket over $270 for the necessary repairs including parts and labor (the old part is not available). GM published a bulletin regarding this issue: (#09-08-42-004: Low beam headlamp bulb inoperative - replace harness and fill connector cavity for low beam bulb connector with nyogel grease May 29, 2009) this is most definitely a safety issue and should be recalled immediately. Thank you for your time and consideration with this matter.

- Avon Lake, OH, USA

Sep 282010

Outlook 6-cyl

2008 Saturn Outlook xr headlight wire harness has now burned out on both my headlights. I am concerned that the vehicle could have it's engine compartment catch on fire.

- Vero Beach, FL, USA

Apr 292011

Outlook

Melting / electrical fire in headlight wiring harness and pre-mature headlight bulb failure.

- London, 00, USA

Apr 252011

Outlook

Low beam headlight wiring harness and bulb connection melted causing loss of headlights.

- Greenwood, IN, USA

Mar 272011

Outlook

The low beam connection melted.

- Livonia, MI, USA

Apr 052011

Outlook

My 2008 Saturn Outlook (recently purchased used) has intermittent headlight issues. The headlights go in and out with no warning. The service center quoted me over $600 to fix the issue. They say it's a faulty wiring harness common with the Saturn Outlook model. Not a bulb burnout, but a structural problem that Saturn knew about. I've done some research online and this seems to be fairly widespread. I can't help but feel like GM has taken advantage of a lot of people.

- Chantilly, VA, USA

Apr 092011

Outlook 6-cyl

I have a 2008 Saturn Outlook. When going to replace the headlamp bulb all of the wires have melted. Now I will have to pay for a new one due to the fact my warranty had just expired. Thankfully the car did not burn up due to the fact on was on a twelve hour drive with my family.

- Anderson, IN, USA

Mar 082011

Outlook 6-cyl

Headlight wire harness failure. Headlamps were burning out frequently and finally determined that GM installed faulty low gauge wiring. Harness in my vehicle was burned and melted causing a fire risk. The dealer replaced one harness while still under warranty. I am having to replace the other harness now at 64K miles.

- Austin, TX, USA

Apr 082011

Outlook 6-cyl

Passenger side headlight is out on Saturn Outlook. Wiring harness is melted. This happened on the drivers side about a year ago. Very expensive to replace and is obviously a design flaw and a huge danger as we are without low beams until we can get it fixed and parts are on backorder. Probably because everyone is having a problem.

- Pittsboro, IN, USA

Apr 082011

Outlook

I own a 2008 Saturn Outlook and the low beam light on the passenger side went out, I took it to a GM dealer to replace the bulb. The dealer told me that it was not the bulb, but the harness or sleeve. They told me it was cost me $799 that was a month ago. Now the other side has gone out too. I think they would do a call back, because I checked on line and found that there are a number of people with the same problem and complaints. My Outlook had 42,000 miles on it. I really need some help in this matter, I can't afford to fix this problem. I had to be bad from the beginning.

- Rowland, NC, USA

Feb 102011

Outlook

Low beam headlight on driver's side keeps burning out. I have had the bulb replaced 3 times all within 2-4 weeks of each other. The problem is yet to properly diagnosed.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA