NHTSA — Exterior Lighting Problems

2008 Saturn Outlook (Page 7 of 12)

2008 Saturn Outlook lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Saturn Outlook:

2008 Saturn Outlook Owner Comments (Page 7 of 12)

Jan 312011

Outlook 6-cyl

Failure is headlights go out while driving vehicle. There is no indication of the headlights going out they just go out completely. Both low-beam headlights on my 2008 Saturn Outlook went completely out while driving on the highway. Luckily no accidents we're caused by this issue. I researched various websites only to find GM has a tsb on this issue tsb# 09-08-42-004. I contacted GM today to advise I would like to have this issue repaired they informed me this is only covered under warranty. This seems to be a very serious issue to only be covered under warranty and not under a safety recall.

- Montgomery, IL, USA

Jan 062011

Outlook

2 complaints about the Outlook...first, the airbag. We have had it fixed 5 times! the dealer re-routed it, put it back, replaced wiring, but to no avail. And it appears again that it needs to be serviced. This problem has been going on for over a year. Then 2nd the driver's side low light beam went out....replaced bulb three times and it didn't hold a charge for about a few days each. GM definitely need to look at these problems. I am very frustrated that a car that just goes out of warranty has problems that need major fixing.

- Ballwin, MO, USA

Jan 212011

Outlook 6-cyl

Upon noticing a headlight out on my wife's 2008 Saturn Outlook, it was noted upon disassembly of the headlight that there was significant melting damage to the electrical wiring harness to the passenger side hid headlight fixture. The wiring harness was charred and blackened in the area of the headlight connector assembly. It appears there was significant heat/arcing during the failure event. The damaged wiring harness caused the passenger side headlight to become non functional. The vehicle has approximately 50000 miles on it. This is the first such failure for this vehicle, however, upon reading various online postings about this matter, it appears to be a very common failure mode in these model vehicles. The headlight wiring harness assembly has been replaced, along with the headlight assembly due to heat damage to the headlight lamp wiring connector. Old parts are not available due to being thrown away.

- Odell, IL, USA

Jan 252011

Outlook 6-cyl

Headlight of 2008 Saturn Outlook keeps going out. I took it to a local shop and they side it is a problem with the wiring harness. It is going to cost a fortune to get this fixed. After searching the internet, it seems this is a common complaint with Saturn Outlook owners. There should definitely be a recall on this problem.

- Carterville, IL, USA

Jan 152011

Outlook 6-cyl

The driver's side headlight is not working because the wiring harness is melted. This is the second time I have had this problem on this vehicle.

- Bowling Green, KY, USA

Jan 152011

Outlook 6-cyl

I have a 2008 Saturn Outlook that has burning wire harnesses. They have completely melted at 40,000 miles. The extended warranty company will not cover it. After looking online, I became aware that it is a common problem. The lights went out with no warning.

- North Las Vegas, NV, USA

Jan 102011

Outlook 6-cyl

The lowbeam headlight wiring harness melted after about 2 years of usage. After looking the passenger lowbeam headlight wiring harness was also melted. This is a 2008 Outlook xe and I would not have expected to spend $300 for this if the parts fail because the manufacturer didn't use heavy enough wire or placed it in a bad place.

- Fenton, MO, USA

Jan 102011

Outlook 6-cyl

2008 Saturn Outlook, 56,000 miles, low beam headlights going out. Driving at night and the headlights all of a sudden went out. Checked online forums and have noticed that this is a common problem. Had to use high beams to reach destination at the same time I was surely blinding other drivers in which I believe is a safety hazard for me and the other drivers. Called local dealerships of problem and was told that the low beams going out is because of faulty wire harness and would cost 237 dollars for each headlight 474 dollars total. Also, this problem is not covered under the limited 100,000 mile GM warranty. If this is a common problem amongst other Saturn Outlook owners and you need lights to drive at night, this would lead me to believe that the headlight problem is a huge safety concern.

- Aurora, CO, USA

Jan 012011

Outlook 6-cyl

Wire harness on 2008 Saturn Outlook has 'melted'. been searching on the internet and this seems to be a frequent problem.

- Moore, OK, USA

May 012009

Outlook

2008 Saturn Outlook wireharness for low beam headlight burnt and melted to the headlight. Melted the cap that protected halogen bulb and the connection.

- Columbia, TN, USA

May 042010

Outlook 6-cyl

2008 Saturn Outlook, passenger side low beam headlight is on again, off again. I replaced the light bulb, and used the correct "bulb grease" in the socket, but the wire harness that powers the light bulb looks to be too light in gauge to power the headlight. The bulb will light sometimes, but then go out for extended periods of time, indicating a short somewhere in the wiring harness. The amount of time that the headlight is out has increased incrementally over time. The problem began about 7 months ago, while the vehicle had about 34000 miles on it, and I had assumed it was a faulty light bulb. I now have over 39000 miles on the truck, and am reading of a similar problem that other owners of the same vehicle are experiencing. I am afraid that if I begin experiencing the same light failure on the driver's side, I will lose all visibility at night. With 39000 miles now on the truck, I am out of warranty, and dread seeing the cost of a replacement wire harness, after having replaced the bulb through the wheel well.

- Bensalem, PA, USA

Nov 102010

Outlook 6-cyl

Passenger side headlight became inoperative, wire harness replaced due to repair description of "melting". no incident for approx 9 months. Driver side headlight becomes inoperative intermittently during driving. Hand adjustment of wire harness temporarily allows headlight to function. Passenger side headlight begins to fail in same intermittent way as driver side headlight. Loss of headlight while driving, driving becomes hazardous.

- Birmingham, MI, USA

Jan 012009

Outlook 6-cyl

Have replaced passenger side headlight bulb 3 times in two years. After last replacement lasted two days I got up inside the headlight assembly (an almost impossible task) to see that the wiring inside the socket was melted and burnt away. I suspect that the wire shielding leading to the socket was never there, from the factory. It appeared that the wire was left unshielded and arcd out against the metal socket retainer. The plastic components are all but melted away from this grounding. I went to the GM dealer I made purchase from and have been told there is a "service advisory", but no recall. Further, I've was told that they are seeing "a ton" of these. I was told of disassembly of the front end to replace the entire headlight assembly. Lastly, the cost might exceed $300. This is an unreasonable expense for something that should be as simple as changing a bulb. I am left with no recourse but to attempt to repair the wiring myself with the best parts I can find. I can only wonder what the other headlight is doing under there. I fear that the fire hazard is real and tangible. I had understood that Saturn's reputation was outstanding for customer service and superior product engineering. But we loyal Saturn owners seem to be on our own now. At least those of us with mileage over 36,000 miles. What I would liketo see is GM stand behind this product with such an important component as headlight safety and potential fire hazard.

- Syrcuase, UT, USA

Jul 202010

Outlook 6-cyl

2008 Saturn Outlook wiring harness on headlight overheated and headlight no longer works. Already had at service center twice. Paid for replacement headlight which went out a day or two later; then paid for a diagnosis. Already pulled over twice by law enforcement for having headlight out.

- Thompson, ND, USA

Dec 122010

Outlook

2008 Saturn Outlook. Wiring harness melt shutting down the headlights.

- Kingwood, TX, USA

Nov 132010

Outlook 6-cyl

Passenger side headlight out on the 2008 Saturn Outlook. Went out one day, a few days later started working again. Now is out for good on "low beam" will work for "high beams".

- Fremont , MI, USA

Dec 202010

Outlook 6-cyl

Spontaneous low beam headlight failures due to wiring harness defect. Headlight socket harness & wiring was melted. Passenger side failed in October 2010. Driver side failed in December 2010. In both cases the GM dealer needed to replace harness & bulb.

- Easton, CT, USA

Dec 212010

Outlook 6-cyl

Our 2008 Saturn just had to have the driver's side low lamp headlight fixed. Melted harness piece. We had to pay for this one because we are out of warranty time (60K miles). The passenger side lamp went out while under warranty. It's ridiculous that we just spent $279 to have a light repaired that seems to be a recurring problem with Saturn... before that we had the whole passenger side airbag light problem. The car doesn't sense when someone is sitting in the front passenger seat. Dealership said car is out of warranty and it will cost us because it's probably a faulty sensor. This is our second Outlook. Lemon-lawed the 2007 and thought we'd give them another chance. Not smart on our part in retrospect!

- Round Rock, TX, USA

Oct 112010

Outlook 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Saturn Outlook. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds or at a stop light the right headlight would shut off and he was unable to turn it back on. The vehicle was inspected by a dealer who informed the contact that the headlight wiring and socket melted and needed to replaced. The right headlight wiring and socket were replaced. The left headlight had also experienced the same failure as the right headlight. The left headlight has yet to be inspected by a dealer or repaired. The failure mileage was approximately 35,000. Updated 02/23/11 the head light wiring harness was replaced. Updated 05/20/11

- Easton , CT, USA

Nov 282010

Outlook 6-cyl

I have replaced the low beam light in my 2008 Saturn Outlook twice in the past month and it's out again. After researching this matter online, I now see that this is a common problem and I feel that GM needs to investigate these complaints immediately and issue a recall to correct this matter before this causes someone to get hurt or killed. Someone needs to stand behind their product.

- Katy, TX, USA